As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WHAT JAMIE ASKS FOR...

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    but I will take my disappointment and displeasure elsewhere

Please do.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I did!

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    she's right she did

EzUAYcn.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I will never forgive bogey for closing my thread about cake in a cup.

Blake T wrote: »
    I will never forgive bogey for closing my thread about cake in a cup.

Jesus, really? That sounds like a damn fine thread. That fucking guy man...

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, Bogey is basically the devil.

8406wWN.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Look. The cake in a cup tastes rubbery. But dammit that thread was cut down before it's prime.

I get it man. Honestly, we're all just too scared to speak out against him. When he gets into one of his tempers...

I've never known one person know so many racial slurs.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    you guys are making me miss my group. : (

also because i have no social life to distract me from missing people. on the upside, i've got a lot of craft projects lined up since the fashion monster is temporarily sated! almost done with a hat. this hat!

yo @pooka I got a group. it's small, might could do with another.

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    summer's coming and I'm all over Modcloth like a rash looking for work and casual-outing appropriate clothes

I'm contemplating getting a body suit for work, as it's more likely to encourage me to wear a skirt

anyone have any experience with them?

Vivixenne on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I once saw Bogey slam a taxi door on an old woman's hand just for fun.

8406wWN.png
    edited October 2013
    It might say admin next to tube's avatar.

But all I'm saying is that everyone can see Khoo called that thread what Bogey wants.

Blake T on
    I have no idea what that second sentence means, honey. And I'm usually really good at deciphering them.

Crossposting from the old thread, which I'm putting here because SERIOUSLY HOW GORGEOUS IS THAT HANFU:

Regarding Chinese traditional dress, there's often a lot of confusion about what's what. The truth is that there's no one "one true" Chinese national dress because of all the different ethnicities that are in China. As an example:

mandarin-collar-cheongsam-qipao-chinese-wedding-dress-08749a10-600x800.jpg

This is a qipao (or what I call a cheongsam), which became prominent during Manchu control in China. It's widely recognised internationally as a form of Chinese traditional dress because the Manchus were in charge when China became more popular and known among Westerners. In Hong Kong, it's still the predominant form of traditional dress, but it's becoming less popular as people start heading back towards their ethnic roots.

hanfu.jpg

This is a hanfu, which is what Han Chinese (my people) traditionally wore. The one pictured is a more formal version of what Mulan wears in the first parts of the movie (in fact, it is a wedding dress hanfu). I wouldn't say hanfu is formal wear in and of itself, as there are casual and formal versions... but at plenty of formal Chinese ceremonies like weddings in traditionally Han China (which is most of it), a variation of the hanfu is what you'll be seeing them wear.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I find it fascinating that formal wear trends change on such a different timeline than the rest of fashion.

oh shit actually that hanfu may not be a wedding dress because I don't see any phoenix detailing on it

could be on the back maybe

But all I'm saying is that everyone can see Khoo called that thread what Bogey wants.

My admin badge exists solely for tax reasons.

zerzhul wrote: »
    I find it fascinating that formal wear trends change on such a different timeline than the rest of fashion.

some of that is apparently to do with the loss of a traditional aristocracy

THINGS I'VE LEARNED FROM WATCHING DOWNTON ABBEY

also while rich folk these days could be considered an aristocracy of sorts, you no longer wear clothes that require a valet to help you put on (i.e., as white tie traditionally does)

and the dilution of tradition means that there are fewer occasions that justify the wearing of things like white tie

edited October 2013
    Yeah that makes all sorts of sense. I wonder if we'll see any sort of radical shift in mens business formal dress during our lifetime. Although it may look slightly dated, if Don Draper waltzed in to a board room tomorrow, his outfit would not be out of place at all.

zerzhul on
    edited October 2013
    it seems that the one underpinning trend is that dark colors are more formal

at least for menswear, though I guess in some ways womenswear as well

Vivixenne on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Those are gorgeous, Viv!

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I for one giddily anticipate the shift to business wear consisting entirely of pouches.

Veldrin wrote: »
    I for one giddily anticipate the shift to business wear consisting entirely of pouches.
    I assume this is strictly what a Fancy D&D DM would wear.

edited October 2013
    Usagi wrote: »
    Those are gorgeous, Viv!

I own a qipao. Somewhere. A navy blue one. I think it's at my parents' house - I asked for one to be made and they indulged me and I have yet to wear it and it will likely need to be taken in before I can wear it now.

If my sister ever gets married I will suggest that for a bridesmaid dress if I get to be a bridesmaid.

The more I think about a red hanfu wedding dress though, the more I just can't let go of the idea. Oh god here we go.

Vivixenne on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

My admin badge exists solely for tax reasons.

shit how do i get in on this racket

edited October 2013
    Yeah that makes all sorts of sense. I wonder if we'll see any sort of radical shift in mens business formal dress during our lifetime. Although it may look slightly dated, if Don Draper waltzed in to a board room tomorrow, his outfit would not be out of place at all.

Western business attire is unlikely to change very significantly. In fact, while formal wear has changed, business wear for men hasn't actually changed all that much in the past couple of centuries. Jacket, collared shirt, pants.

What's actually changed are the little things that indicate trends - button styles, ties/bowties, accessories, materials, finishes, and colors. Developments in fabrics and tailoring likely also inform that.

Vivixenne on
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Well the first three are all from my favourite shop in Seoul, A-Land.

Then the tights are here.

And the other two are from Asos.

WHICH IS THE MOMENT YOU REALIZE THAT SKELETON TRACKSUIT IS $500.00

I'm so mad that it costs so much. I want it in my life and on my body.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Oh I found this thread

I got a cool scarf?'

poo
    edited October 2013

Western business attire is unlikely to change very significantly. In fact, while formal wear has changed, business wear for men hasn't actually changed all that much in the past couple of centuries. Jacket, collared shirt, pants.

What's actually changed are the little things that indicate trends - button styles, ties/bowties, accessories, materials, finishes, and colors. Developments in fabrics and tailoring likely also inform that.
    Indeed. Hence why any major change would be quite radical. Would be interesting though. Maybe a new aristocracy will form after the US economy collapses and that will change things in a more drastic sense ;)

zerzhul on
    The cuts and finishes have changed quite a bit.

The cuts and finishes have changed quite a bit.
    Definitely, though in the last 50 years not as much.

• bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Guys did you know there is a skin condition that is often misdiagnosed as eczema that pretty much means you have celiac disease??! I didn't until my dermatologist appointment today!
    So now I am waiting for my skin biopsy to come back to find out if I have it. I can't decide what I want the result to be - it would be nice to have an answer for all my weird skin issues lately but on the other hand gluten is delicious.
    http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/whatisceliacdisease/a/DermatitisHerp.htm

I hope this turns out okay and the docs figure it out for you, dude.

thanks. at this point I would like a diagnosis. also nice skin again.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    summer's coming and I'm all over Modcloth like a rash looking for work and casual-outing appropriate clothes

I'm contemplating getting a body suit for work, as it's more likely to encourage me to wear a skirt

anyone have any experience with them?

I have gotten a few Modcloth things in the past. The problem I had is that the sizing is wildly different on the different articles of clothing, despite my using a sewer's tape and everything to check dimensions. I had to return 2/5 things I ordered and pay for international shipping, which may have cost as much as I made back on the return. :/

The dresses I got were pretty decent. One of them tore a hole through it mid-season and I haven't had a chance to borrow a friend's serger to fix it yet. The other is still going strong. So um, take from that what you will, I guess! In the future I'll probably stick to more local hipster fashions, or see if there's a Canadian ModCloth equivalent to cut down on shipping costs.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    edited October 2013
    inspired by @vivixenne here is a mini post on traditional philippine formal wear

major style influences, generally speaking, came from spain and china for obvious reasons (1. colonization! 2. proximity! there is a large chinese population in the philippines). and there are lots and lots of ethnic groups with their own traditional costumes as well, so these are just the most recognizable/most acknowledged as "national."

for men, the barong tagalog:
    traditionally white and made from pineapple or banana fibers (I don't know how). my dad wore one to get hitched in. only one picture cause I am more interested in the laaadies (fashion)

barong_zps584dd190.jpg

for ladies, the terno or filipiniana or a bunch of other names I don't know:
    most recognizable element of course are the big weird sleeves. the examples I pulled here are mostly dresses but in my experience it's most commonly worn as a blouse + long skirt. I have a blouse I never wear because what would I wear it to?! also I don't have a skirt to wear it with.

I wish I had a bigger picture of this cause I think it's pretty! inspired by the flag:
    Picture32_zpsf8c7fdfd.png

more traditional versions
    filipiniana11_zps66642076.jpg
    filipiniana4_zps1e04bac2.jpg

there are also some very cool modern versions as well.

bowtiedseal on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    suggest three things i should wear when my situation improves, based upon that which you've already seen of my wardrobe

1. dress

2. casual wear

3. aherm sexy stuff

im about six feet tall, and weigh about 155-160

ill provide somethin in spoiler if you need point of reference at some point

When you say suggest do you mean general styles for each category or more specific items and brands?

specificity son

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    also @'in @vivixenne again to say your best bet with modcloth are the user reviews. if I love something and it has crap reviews I don't bother.

I've gotten 2 dresses from modcloth which I like very much and are good quality!

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I don't think I've worn a bodysuit in at least 20 years. But that's definitely one way to make sure your top doesn't come untucked from your skirt.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Fuckin' RAWR

Dinosocks
    CG2ZEsl.jpg?1
    @smof

Non-dinosocks
    SPa76ac.jpg?1

New shades
    8NHc3gD.jpg?1

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Those dino-socks are fantastic.