As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stop posting in this [chat] you maroons

1101102103104105107»

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What you're saying is you want Game of Thrones ... in space.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    How the flying fuck can there even be a sequel?

So far as they've said it's not a direct sequel. Just same universe...ish.

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I am feeling really weird today.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    I am feeling really weird today.

just today?

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

So is it backwards in time?

fuck gendered marketing
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Maybe they'll retcon the ME3 ending.

That's what i'd do.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    anyway time to go out and get drunk

again!

ftOqU21.png
    god but I am good at this life thing

ftOqU21.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    YES THIS IS ME3 SPOILERS
    Tali's suicide and Mordin's sacrifice are both examples of just how well ME3 is written at points.

Its ending and every section with the starchild are a fantastic example of how to ruin brilliant small details with an overarching plot.

walters was going to have a boss battle where shepard fights the illusive man who turns into a giant robot but they talked him out of it, iirc

The alternate, fan-speculative
    Indoctrination ending would have been absolutely fucking incredible and is clearly the way they should have gone.

To call the next game 'Mass Effect 4' or 'ME4' is doing it a disservice and seems to cause a lot of confusion here. We have already said that the Commander Shepard trilogy is over and that the next game will not feature him/her. That is the only detail you have on the game. I see people saying 'well, they’ll have to pick a canon ending.' No, because the game does not have to come after. Or before. Or off to the side. Or with characters you know. Or yaddayaddayadda. Wherever, whenever, whoever, etc will all be revealed years down the road when we actually start talking about it. I do not call the game ME4 when I talk about it ever, [because] that makes people think of it more as 'what happens after 'Mass Effect 3' rather than 'what game happens next set in the 'Mass Effect' Universe.
    What Chris is saying is that thinking of the next 'Mass Effect' game as 'Mass Effect 4' would imply a certain linearity, a straight evolution of the gameplay and story of the first three games. Story-wise, the arc of the first trilogy has also been concluded, and what we will do is tell a new story set in the 'Mass Effect' universe. That doesn’t mean that events of the first three games and the choices you made won’t get recognized, but they likely won’t be what this new story will focus on. I apologize for being cryptic right now, but it’s early enough in development that we don’t have much to share – things still fluctuate quite a bit.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

To call the next game 'Mass Effect 4' or 'ME4' is doing it a disservice and seems to cause a lot of confusion here. We have already said that the Commander Shepard trilogy is over and that the next game will not feature him/her. That is the only detail you have on the game. I see people saying 'well, they’ll have to pick a canon ending.' No, because the game does not have to come after. Or before. Or off to the side. Or with characters you know. Or yaddayaddayadda. Wherever, whenever, whoever, etc will all be revealed years down the road when we actually start talking about it. I do not call the game ME4 when I talk about it ever, [because] that makes people think of it more as 'what happens after 'Mass Effect 3' rather than 'what game happens next set in the 'Mass Effect' Universe.
    What Chris is saying is that thinking of the next 'Mass Effect' game as 'Mass Effect 4' would imply a certain linearity, a straight evolution of the gameplay and story of the first three games. Story-wise, the arc of the first trilogy has also been concluded, and what we will do is tell a new story set in the 'Mass Effect' universe. That doesn’t mean that events of the first three games and the choices you made won’t get recognized, but they likely won’t be what this new story will focus on. I apologize for being cryptic right now, but it’s early enough in development that we don’t have much to share – things still fluctuate quite a bit.

Right well

I'll adjust my expectations accordingly

fuck gendered marketing
    oh and finally:
    synthesis was the stupidest most hackneyed sci fi bull.

ftOqU21.png
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What you're saying is you want Game of Thrones ... in space.

Not necessarily. I'm sure there are plenty of writers with better ideas than what I suggested.

It's just that what I suggested would be way better than what we got.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

much of your frustration with story continuity and an ME4 was solved with the DLC they released.

Well now I can't not post here.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I liked "shitheads" better than "maroons"

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    I liked "shitheads" better than "maroons"

The fuzz came and carted the shitheads off, and all we got left are maroons. And a few tribbles.

488W936.png
    I don't understand why my doubling function won't work.

Stupid code!

Oh, wait, they say a bad craftsman blames his tools..
    guess i should blame myself or God.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Some of the stuff they could've done:
    The well known Indoctrination theory would've been amazing.

Reasoning it out with the Reapers that not only is "preserving" species with their matter as part of a Reaper incredibly stupid, but that they are achieving nothing more than just letting AI progress as it would do anyway; their "guardianship" of organic lifeforms is pointless and redundant.

A bit of follow-up on the weapon that "killed" a Reaper in ME2. Hell, a wild shot would be following up on the IFF system they installed on the Normandy.

If you want to go the "virus" route, you can do it by examining why the Reapers create themselves from the matter of past species; you could create a ghost in the machine story if you wanted to go slightly mythical.

Stealth, or fleeing. How do the Reapers detect life? If a prothean survived, can we not ensure some survive? Or, could we use the Mass Effect drives to fling spaceships out into another galaxy, a la Battlestar G?

Plus a variety of battle endings; can the Reapers really justify the destruction of themselves (i.e. the past species they're preserving) to continue the cycle, if we finally have a fleet capable of destroying dozens if not hundreds of their number?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    HALP.

"In 50 years time, which of today's taken-for-granted human activities will seem most curious?"

"It's becoming increasingly common for people in their mid-careers to claim to 'want to put something back.' Does completing a conventional career inevitably entail taking?"

Hmmm.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    oh and finally:
    synthesis was the stupidest most hackneyed sci fi bull.
    Not to mention the fact that you are transforming literally everyone in the galaxy on a fundamental/techno-genetic level without giving then any say in the matter whatsoever.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I've been having extreme difficulty staying conscious these last couple of days, on account of going off my medicine.

Also, been having some crazy-ass dreams.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Whooo, free hoodies came in today.

SUPAH LEGIT
    1379979_10202261578324541_381379457_n.jpg

[/camwhore]

How can my Raven possibly be this cute

Oh brilliant
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I want a LA Noire style game where you play a c-sec officer on the wards.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Saw thread title

Immediately came to maek poast

So if the ME3 ending didn't bother me (I pretty much assumed the indoctrination theory was legit on my play through) should I bother with the DLC? Or is it just for whiny chumps that need closure?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    oh my god

tumblr_inline_muhp2nZjgD1rlbvmi.jpg

rRwz9.gif
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Saw thread title

Immediately came to maek poast

So if the ME3 ending didn't bother me (I pretty much assumed the indoctrination theory was legit on my play through) should I bother with the DLC? Or is it just for whiny chumps that need closure?
    which

omega and leviathan are so so, the extended cut is just to make the terrible terrible ending slightly less so, and citadel is the best dlc in the history of the universe

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    after ME3, ME is dead to me

Opposite for me. Amazing ride. Would play again.

game ends with creators taking a shit on the universe and giving the player the middle finger, the parts of the game I hated most are directly from the guy who is in charge now, so any future games are basically all going to be ME3's beginning segment, stupid dream sequences that the music is telling you are emotionally powerful, and bewildering context free endings (oh and you'll notice everything by mac walters had zero exploration or choice, every segment he took direct control over was completely linear)

Stop before the last mission. Play the Citadel. Give the creators ending a middle finger and enjoy the fucking amazing gameplay and ride up to that point.

Ending was crap, citadel DLC is the real ending.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.