As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why fanboy-ism?

TheRedMagusTheRedMagus The Uncharted Backwaters of the Unfashionable End of the Western Spiral Arm of the GalaxyRegistered User regular
So with the up coming release of the Xbox One (X1) and the Playstaion 4 (PS4); I have seen a lot people on messaging boards, irl, and other forms of social connection bow up and defend their system of choice or spend all day ranting about how bad the other system is. Personally I have never really understood why. Now with that being said there was a time in my life where I walked around talking about how bad the Xbox one (Original) was and how bad the 360 was when it came out, but it really wasn't because I hated the system; I had played both of the systems multiple times and enjoyed the experience; it felt more like I was doing it because my other PS friends were.
And now that I look back on it i feel ashamed about it. So why do people do it? Why spend so much time talking bad about something, throwing around false or exaggerated stories about it, calling other people (fellow gamers mind you) names over their personal choice?
Lets all be honest here both systems and companies have flaws. So is one really better then the other? Or is there a way to cohabitate with each other realize that one has a better online experience and the other has a better selection of adventure games; or that one gets to hot and melts itself, and the other has whack a** triggers on its controller?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Because of tribalism, in a much less harmful form than historically.

Why do people really like the New York Giants or the Green Bay Packers? Why are people Republicans?

As obviously as I wear my brand loyalties on my sleeve (to the point that I got branded with the apple mark by Icy), I almost never trash the other products. I'm still tribal as shit, but I would rather people enjoy the stuff they have and like, and not think badly of other people for what they enjoy.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I want the xboxone to do well because I hated the minimalist PS3 interface and controller. MS treated me right this gen. Furthermore I want everyone else to adopt my correct opinion so that I have a stable of multiplayer buddies.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    FAK U SONY

• Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    Because people derive a lot of self-worth from their purchases. They want to be 'right'. Ego has a lot to do with it, too.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Plus people want to feel confident about spending hundreds of bucks on one toy vs another. Think of how tense people get about car brand loyalty with monthly payments they have to justify emotionally as much as practically.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Why do people really like the New York Giants or the Green Bay Packers? Why are people Republicans?

As obviously as I wear my brand loyalties on my sleeve (to the point that I got branded with the apple mark by Icy), I almost never trash the other products. I'm still tribal as shit, but I would rather people enjoy the stuff they have and like, and not think badly of other people for what they enjoy.

Good question. Why ARE people Republicans?

Kidding!

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Excuse me I'm a Republican because we're the most correct and your tribe is all full of dumbs who are dumb and

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    As I've gotten older I no longer feel this tribalism toward games. Example: I recently played through Saint's Row 3... it was fun! But I remember passing it up the first time because I was a GTA fan and there was rivalry and liking Saint's Row felt like some sort of betrayal?

This is a dumb attitude and I missed a great game because of it. Like what you like and play what seems fun... the tribalism seems very childish to me after that revelation.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

Excuse me I'm a Republican because we're the most correct and your tribe is all full of dumbs who are dumb and

NO U

In relation to the topic, I think people just like having things to argue about. For teenagers they don't have a lot going on other than their vidja so they argue about that.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    As I've gotten older I no longer feel this tribalism toward games. Example: I recently played through Saint's Row 3... it was fun! But I remember passing it up the first time because I was a GTA fan and there was rivalry and liking Saint's Row felt like some sort of betrayal?

This is a dumb attitude and I missed a great game because of it. Like what you like and play what seems fun... the tribalism seems very childish to me after that revelation.

I can like one ecosystem or game or whatever more than the other... but I never let that keep me from enjoying another thing.

Like, getting a PS3 is absolutely a thing I will be doing in 2014. That said, if PS4's Galkai streaming thing has the full PS3 back library at its disposal, I will probably get a PS4 instead, when demand dies down and the real worthwhile exclusives come out.

The XBO will still be my primary system because I like what its doing for the most part, and I love the controller (by far the most important part of a system to me is how I interact with it), but good games happen everywhere.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    TheRedMagusTheRedMagus The Uncharted Backwaters of the Unfashionable End of the Western Spiral Arm of the GalaxyRegistered User regular

I know how that is. I recently picked up Kingdom Heart 1.5 and I let a friend play it. Now he has been a huge Xbox 4 life kinda guy. but when i showed him the game and he realized how much he was enjoying it realized that he missed out on something that was a lot of fun just because of some loyalty.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I think part of it comes from not being able to afford everything, and having to make a choice out of necessity.

Once people have made their choice, and locked themselves in, they feel the need to defend it.

If someone buys an xbone, and their friend tells them how much fun they are having with their PS4, then they think "should I have gotten a PS4 instead, was I wrong?!"

Being wrong is unthinkable. So it must be their friend that is wrong. How can they be wrong about having fun? they must be stupid.

You'll find a lot of the people who are "above the fray" on stuff like this, just had enough money to get both.

If each system with $50 instead of $500 they would be less fanboyism.

BSoB on
  • Options
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I want the xboxone to do well because I hated the minimalist PS3 interface and controller. MS treated me right this gen. Furthermore I want everyone else to adopt my correct opinion so that I have a stable of multiplayer buddies.

But why do you need those multiplayer buddies?

• Options
    edited October 2013

because it is fun to play with friends?

And having so many people you know on the same system means your friends will be there when you decide to play a game.

Sony does seem to be taking this lesson to heart on the PS4 and their cross-game inviting and whatnot seems to have caught up to xbox live this coming gen... but during the 360/PS3 generation, hopping from game to game with your buddies with group chat and whatnot was civilization.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

And having so many people you know on the same system means your friends will be there when you decide to play a game.

Sony does seem to be taking this lesson to heart on the PS4 and their cross-game inviting and whatnot seems to have caught up to xbox live this coming gen... but during the 360/PS3 generation, hopping from game to game with your buddies with group chat and whatnot was civilization.

I see that, but why don't we start re-embracing the LAN party. I do have a 360 and it is nice to play online with friends, but nothing beats getting some friends together and playing some games via LAN

• Options

I see that, but why don't we start re-embracing the LAN party. I do have a 360 and it is nice to play online with friends, but nothing beats getting some friends together and playing some games via LAN

Because I have friends in North Carolina, California, Texas, Missouri, England and New York?

"Bringing back the LAN party" goes out the window when you move away from where you went to school / college for the most part.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

because every other team in the NFL sucks, duh.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    A LAN party can be fun and all but it is not convenient in the slightest. Especially with conflicting schedules, space requirements, and geographic distance.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Why are people Republicans?

Because der takin' er' jeerrbs!!!

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Fanboyism is simply going to exist, even moreso with consoles and videogames because the majority of gamers start somewhere, in, say, late elementary school and happen to be boys. And boys like having a team, whether it's a sports team or a superhero team, or a band. Something to identify with that somehow makes you cooler because you can perceive yourself as being one of them. Even loners crave being on some kind of team, even (and sometimes especially) because said team only exists in their head. The idea of being part of some kind of invisible army that helps expand the definition of self in some way and provides some method of social currency to leverage self-worth and interact with, or avoid, the outside world, depending on how you might feel about it.

It's a phase of life, and a very, very marketable one. Some people never leave it.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    wii u rules

ps4 & xbone drools

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Quid wrote: »
    A LAN party can be fun and all but it is not convenient in the slightest. Especially with conflicting schedules, space requirements, and geographic distance.

And even if you all live on the same block and have identical schedules and no families, you have to lug around your PCs/consoles/televisions. Especially with console games, "LAN party" is just plain nonviable. I do love local multiplayer games, but multiplayer has evolved into something that just works better over the internet.

All of which ignores the part where "LAN party" still requires that you all have the same system, which still breeds tribalism, so I'm not even sure why this was brought up.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    wii u rules

ps4 & xbone drools

BURN THE WITCH

But yeah, people associate with brands and denigrate competitors anyway, it's a thing. With consoles in particular there are a lot of aggravating factors including large buy-in cost and multiplayer/game exclusivity; you want your platform to "win" because you want games to come out on it, and you want your friends to be able to play with you. Everything else pretty much revolves around this. Otherwise there's little reason to care about the competing platform (and those of us that can afford both* don't tend to care much, other than controller preference).

I'm almost certainly buying an XBone. If I had the money I'd buy both, and I'll probably get a PS4 later in the cycle. But I have a friend who keeps trying to steer me towards a PS4, and keeps talking about how terrible and underpowered the XBone is. I'm like dude, the marginal difference in power won't matter in the long run, I like the controller better, and I have more friends on XBL than PSN. The end. Everything else you're saying I don't give a fuck about. Stop. Unless you plan on buying me a PS4, shut the fuck up. Like, I get the feeling he cannot imagine just how little I care about arguing specs and features between the two consoles.

* - There is no third console. ;)

mcdermott on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

And even if you all live on the same block and have identical schedules and no families, you have to lug around your PCs/consoles/televisions. Especially with console games, "LAN party" is just plain nonviable. I do love local multiplayer games, but multiplayer has evolved into something that just works better over the internet.

I actually built a second half-decent gaming PC out of old parts, and regularly have a friend come over. Every now and then I take it to his place (he has a second monitor/keyboard/mouse for his wife's system that I use). It's not that bad, but if you're lugging "whole systems" (monitor and all) it gets rough. Same for a console/TV.

I will say that gaming with somebody in the same room is still spiffier than over headset, when possible.

All of which ignores the part where "LAN party" still requires that you all have the same system, which still breeds tribalism, so I'm not even sure why this was brought up.

Yeah, that's odd.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Because people long for a sense of belonging and camaraderie that reinforces their personal existence and the convoluted mess of traits and decisions that they have intentionally ascribed to their self-identity.

but that's all false so it's hilarious/dangerous fun!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    I think part of it comes from not being able to afford everything, and having to make a choice out of necessity.

Once people have made their choice, and locked themselves in, they feel the need to defend it.

If someone buys an xbone, and their friend tells them how much fun they are having with their PS4, then they think "should I have gotten a PS4 instead, was I wrong?!"

Being wrong is unthinkable. So it must be their friend that is wrong. How can they be wrong about having fun? they must be stupid.

You'll find a lot of the people who are "above the fray" on stuff like this, just had enough money to get both.

I wonder how much platform rivalry is stirred up by adolescents who were told by their parents that they could get one, and only one, video game console for Christmas.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    BSoB wrote: »

I wonder how much platform rivalry is stirred up by adolescents who were told by their parents that they could get one, and only one, video game console for Christmas.

Think of it this way: How many recent games have there been that you would have loved to play but couldn't because they were only on Sega's console that you don't own?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    wii u rules

ps4 & xbone drools

PS4 does what Nintendon't.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I think it's an aspect of consumerism. People are defining themselves by their consumption, which is just a terrible idea. But I think a lot of young Americans view of consumerism is a bit like a fish's view of water...

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I think it's an aspect of consumerism. People are defining themselves by their consumption, which is just a terrible idea. But I think a lot of young Americans view of consumerism is a bit like a fish's view of water...

This is not a problem that is unique to young Americans. It is a cultural problem across all ages.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    poshniallo wrote: »

This is not a problem that is unique to young Americans. It is a cultural problem across all ages.

Few problems are unique, but I think it's much greater in young Americans.

I figure I could take a bear.