As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Exploring the ruins of New Detroit with VBomb and The Canadians! [Giant Bomb]

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    What we need is more people like me who are into almost every genre under the sun.

So basically every site please hire me.

I need money for Transformers, new consoles, and One Piece figurines.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    What we need is more people like me who are into almost every genre under the sun.

So basically every site please hire me.

I need money for Transformers, new consoles, and One Piece figurines.

This is ideal

But man it's pretty rare

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    As a fighting game/extreme action fan whenever a game is considered bad because "Its too hard".

It kills me a little inside.

Seeing shit like this brings out my darkest urges

Instead I just put on my mask of the father and go invade oolacile township

Like don't get me wrong. I'm all for games having systems that are more welcoming to new people.

But I feel like people docking points from games for being difficult or taking time to learn(and I've seen it quite a bit) is a symptom of this "press a to win" generation

Dangnabbit.

Dragkonias on
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    I actually wonder how many people base buying decisions on reviews

I probably haven't read one since I stopped getting Nintendo power like 10 years ago

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    why should a game reviewer be slave to the consumer

fuckin ebert wasnt

a reviewer should be their own damn self and the consumer can find a reviewer they agree with on most things, reading multiple reviews to figure out if they should get the game or not

it's up to the consumer to be informed. it is not up to a reviewer to bend over backwards for people to buy shit. it is their job to say how they think something is.

Game reviews aren't some natural resource that we as consumers have enslaved and need to now set free so game reviews can achieve the status of art

They exist to fucking tell me if the game works and is good and if it is a competent entry in its genre. To that end, people who are knowledgable of that type of game are the people I want reviewing those types of games because they'll know the shit other people won't.

If some dude wants to wax poetic on the merits of first person shooting write an editorial don't cram it into your review of a first person shooter because that doesn't tell me anything about the game

yea but it's this philosophy that makes reviews of genre games like final fantasy or zelda or madden and stuff ungodly boring. Pretty much all of these reviews boil down to 'this is a competent entry in this franchise' because the reviewer doesn't know shit compared to fanboy x and they don't want to offend them.

Forget fanboy x, I want my Zelda game reviewed by Zeldaexpert727 so he can tell me in great detail what has changed and improved compared to other games like Zelda

The larger decision of whether or not I'm tired of Zelda doesn't need to me told to me by the reviewer, I can figure that out by myself

It's like how some of the newer Mario games have been knocked because there too samey to other Mario games and people have gotten bored, but are also still extremely good games with great level design and mechanics. I can decide if I'm tired of a type of game on my own, I just want to he told if this is a good one of those games

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    On the other hand my friends read fucking reviews for individual god damn episodes of shows on IGN which has to be the most asinine thing I've ever heard

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    Zay wrote: »

I probably haven't read one since I stopped getting Nintendo power like 10 years ago

I do!

Now, by that I mean if a game seems interesting to me but gets, say, a 2 star on GB I usually stay away from it

This has saved me from buying at least The Bereu and Remember Me this year

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I think personal editorial critiques of video games have a place in games criticism, and really should take up more of the thought space around video games than they do

Really digging in and dissecting how this work of art intersects with culture and the medium, that is what this medium needs

But I do not think you couch those pieces as reviews. Reviews do serve a very specific purpose as a piece of consumer writing, and that's okay. A review is really not the same thing as a critique, and the two being separate, important facets of games writing is fine with me

But seriously, more critiques

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The best way to kill a sacred cow (if you're just itching to do that) is to assign someone who's well-versed and hope they don't like the game

If I like open-world games and you set me down in front of GTAV and I don't like it and can tell you why in great detail, that's way more useful and believable than a review from someone who wouldn't give a shit either way

And if all the reviewers who are well-versed in that type of game give it 9s and 10s across the board, then it is probably considered a sacred cow for a very good reason

Because it's probably a very good game

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »

Well, personally.

When I'm interested in a game, chances are I've been following it at least a year before its release.

Watching trailers, hands-on, reading articles.

So, by the time release comes I already know if I'm going to buy it.

And even then, I tend to trust the opinions of other forumers who do the same before that of a reviewer.

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I rarely read reviews and almost never use them to aid a purchasing decision.
    I'm usually pretty sure what games I want to buy based on the developer, watching videos (eg quick looks) and word of mouth.

I haven't bought too many games that I think are outright bad.

Diarmuid on
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Whoa, the Batman games got rid of GFWL?
    Sweet!
    ....please Dark Souls next, please Dark Souls next, please....

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

el_vicio wrote: »
    Sweet!

Pretty sure Dark Souls 2 won't have it

el_vicio wrote: »
    Sweet!

Pretty sure Dark Souls 2 won't have it
    But Dark Souls 2 isn't out NOW....

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

edited October 2013
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    I think personal editorial critiques of video games have a place in games criticism, and really should take up more of the thought space around video games than they do

Really digging in and dissecting how this work of art intersects with culture and the medium, that is what this medium needs

But I do not think you couch those pieces as reviews. Reviews do serve a very specific purpose as a piece of consumer writing, and that's okay. A review is really not the same thing as a critique, and the two being separate, important facets of games writing is fine with me

But seriously, more critiques

I think one of the reasons that we don't see as many critiques as we could is because the fanboyism is so toxic in games that almost any negatives about a genre instantly turns into a witchhunt.

Not only that but games still have the stigma of just being "for fun". Like we've achieved popularity but still aren't taken seriously. Which is made even worse because that mentality isn't simply held by the general public, its held by a good amount of hardcore gamers too.

Dragkonias on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I find that the only time reviews really sell me on a game is if it's a game I hadn't really heard about until it came out, or a game that looked like it was going to be poop.

Most games though I know I want way before reviews show up. So it's more likely for a review to make me not buy a game, if something I was excited for gets hammered.

Beyond was something I was thinking of getting at launch but reviews and impressions have put it in the "get it when it's like 20 bucks" pile.

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty much done with game reviews because I've realized that what I think is good in a game and what most reviewers think is good are pretty different.

I only play a handful of games a year and as such I want to be engaged and challenged by those games. Reviewers want to be engaged, but due to the amount of time they have to spend on games their tolerance for frustration or being stuck is way way lower than mine. I generally don't like a game where I don't get stuck at all, and most reviewers list getting stuck as a major negative.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Hey I just saw this

Heroes of the Storm is the new name for Blizzard DOTA

I'm back on expecting the next WoW expansion to be Outland Cataclysm.

sig.gif
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Oh boy a moba

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    So are MOBAs the new MMOs or mobile games or whatever the publisher gold rush of yesteryear was?

It's been announced for two years, this is only what they just announced is gonna be its name.

sig.gif
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    To be fair to Blizzard, they've been working on their MOBA before everyone in the universe decided to make a MOBA.

And if their announcement promise of matches around 20 minutes is true, I might actually play it.

IKknkhU.gif
    I'll wait and see what's up with it - I am not willing to invest 200h to learn heroes, items and spells and then do merely okay at it

but I'd be down for some Protoss domination

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

Stilts wrote: »
    To be fair to Blizzard, they've been working on their MOBA before everyone in the universe decided to make a MOBA.

And if their announcement promise of matches around 20 minutes is true, I might actually play it.

I'm not sure expecting Blizzard to deliver on promises is a great bet

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Also no last-hitting.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig

Blizzard always delivers

eventually

sig.gif
    TheStig wrote: »

Also no last-hitting.

See

Everyone rushing to copy the industry leader

SMITE

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I don't like this new name because now I can't tell when someone says HotS if they're talking about Heroes of the Storm or Heart of the Swarm.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    SimBen wrote: »

Blizzard always delivers

eventually

This I absolutely can't deny

But I'm kind of tired of waiting for years and years for a game to get good after waiting for years and years for it to come out

Lookin' at you Diablo

I don't like this new name because now I can't tell when someone says HotS if they're talking about Heroes of the Storm or Heart of the Swarm.

well i'm guessing you'll be playing LotV by the time HotS comes out

• ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    oh hey, I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream is on steam now
    HXNMQKv.png

It'll be pretty easy once it's in a sentence considering nobody will be talking about Heart of the Swarm whenever this comes out.

sig.gif
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

well i'm guessing you'll be playing LotV by the time HotS comes out

Watch out for the next WoW expansion: Lords of the Volcano.

sig.gif
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    So now I remember why I was terrified of the Redeads in Wind Waker

Pretty early on in the game, Young Me finds this nice teacher lady who will give you a prize for 20 Joy Pendants

I immediately make it my goal to get those pendants as quickly as I can, so I do it

She gives me in return the deed to her private island, and tells me I can go hang out there whenever I want

So I go "hell yeah" and go visit my new accommodations

It's a rockin' pad with a talking door who is also my butler, and then I find a secret switch that lets me go exploring in the sewer underneath my house

There's no enemies down there, I'm just enjoying finding all the free money in my new house

And then I fall down a hole into a dark tiny room
    ReDead_Artwork_(The_Wind_Waker).png

OH GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING

OH NO THERE'S TWO OF THEM

AAAAAA AAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAA
    And then I shut the game off and didn't play it for a couple days

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I liked the name "Blizzard Dota" better. It was just so straight forward and up front about what it was. "Hey, you wanna play DOTA but with canonic Blizzard characters?" "Yes. Yes I do."

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I finally bought a 360 E to replace my roommate's busted launch-era piece of crap.

Putting them side by side really makes the original design look like Jonathan Davis's mustache.

JayKaos wrote: »
    I liked the name "Blizzard Dota" better. It was just so straight forward and up front about what it was. "Hey, you wanna play DOTA but with canonic Blizzard characters?" "Yes. Yes I do."

I'm sure they would've liked to keep it but Valve said nuh-uh.

sig.gif
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

Though I should clarify that I don't actually want to play that though so it doesn't matter much to me either way.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Hey I just saw this

Heroes of the Storm is the new name for Blizzard DOTA

I'm back on expecting the next WoW expansion to be Outland Cataclysm.

naw

blizzard has pretty openly said that while the old world revamp in cataclysm was good for updating the game, it was a huge amount of resources put into content the vast majority of players didn't see, and all of the later content suffered for it.

it's much more likely that experience and quests will be slightly tweaked over time so that you have to spend as little time in places like outland and northrend as possible when leveling

liEt3nH.png
    did valve have to pay blizzard for DoTA?

This discussion has been closed.