As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Vintage PC thread: Because MS-DOS gaming still rules

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Yeah, the original commander keen engine is super, super dated now. I went back and retried keen 1, and maaaaaan it's aged poorly. And not in an endearing, Kitsch sort of way like Super Mario bros 1 or Great Giana Sisters (it's two closest contemporaries) have. It just seems old and not a lot of fun anymore.

Goodbye Galaxy and Aliens ate my babysitter are still awesome awesome games, though. Not really like any other platformer of the time. The closest comparison I'd give is something more like Aladdin (Genesis) or Earthworm Jim. Terrific games, kinda gives a SMB3 vibe. Keen Dreams has a similarly competent engine, but a lot of really bad design decisions.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Keen Dreams I bought for two dollars at a closeout style shop. It's the last Keen game I played seriously and probably the reason why I don't know 4-6 that well.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    Keen Dreams I bought for two dollars at a closeout style shop. It's the last Keen game I played seriously and probably the reason why I don't know 4-6 that well.

It was actually a freeware release. only 1 episode long, distributed as "shareware" but registering it didn't give you any extra levels or episodes, just other games.

but ya, it's probably the worst keen game, mainly because they really changed up the gameplay. no pogo sticks, limited weapons, just a generally discombobulated feel to the game. Goodbye Galaxy is probably the best game in the series. I was playing it the other day, it holds up about as well as the Jazz games hold up.

Shit, I've had this song stuck in my head all day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb8WbGIT57E

It's got such a cool soundfont, it sounded unlike anything on the Genesis or SNES at the time. I remember we had a Soundblaster Pro and our 486 could reach like 90mhz so we'd crank that bitch up to 44 khz sound quality and it would sound just as good as my Sega CD at the time, like CD-quality music. The song is pretty complex for an old platformer game, with a lot of different movements before repeating.

Plus, because it was composed by the same guy who wrote the One Must Fall and Epic Pinball soundtracks (using the same instrumentation, no less), two PC games that defined that era of PC gaming for me, this type of sound embodies 486 PC gaming.

I love everything about Jazz Jackrabbit. Judging from the time it came out and looking at the overall style of the artwork and music, it pulls most inspiration from the greatest Sonic game of them all - Sonic CD. I adore the aesthetics of Sonic CD, so any game which makes an earnest attempt to emulate it's style - which is pretty different from all other sonic games - gets a huge thumbs up in my book. I mentioned Zool 2 earlier, and that's another terrific game that really tries to be Sonic CD. I feel like everything jazz does, it does better. Zool 2 is probably Jazz's closest competition in terms of everything it does, and while I like Zool 2 a lot, jazz is just a superior game.

I also really dug the mode 7 special stages in jazz back in the day. They take obvious inspiration from Sonic CD's special stages.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I know you won't agree but Jazz blows Sonic CD out of the water in my opinion.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    Of course I won't agree to that.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I'm hoping some day Jazz will show up on gog. The Christmas episodes are a lot of fun too. Man, why can't games still be as awesome as they used to be.

Steam: offday
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I've never actually played Jazz Jackrabbit. I was never huge into platformers and was more into adventure games and rpgs. I should probably remedy that someday.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Shit, I've had this song stuck in my head all day:

It's got such a cool soundfont, it sounded unlike anything on the Genesis or SNES at the time. I remember we had a Soundblaster Pro and our 486 could reach like 90mhz so we'd crank that bitch up to 44 khz sound quality and it would sound just as good as my Sega CD at the time, like CD-quality music. The song is pretty complex for an old platformer game, with a lot of different movements before repeating.

Plus, because it was composed by the same guy who wrote the One Must Fall and Epic Pinball soundtracks (using the same instrumentation, no less), two PC games that defined that era of PC gaming for me, this type of sound embodies 486 PC gaming.

I love everything about Jazz Jackrabbit. Judging from the time it came out and looking at the overall style of the artwork and music, it pulls most inspiration from the greatest Sonic game of them all - Sonic CD. I adore the aesthetics of Sonic CD, so any game which makes an earnest attempt to emulate it's style - which is pretty different from all other sonic games - gets a huge thumbs up in my book. I mentioned Zool 2 earlier, and that's another terrific game that really tries to be Sonic CD. I feel like everything jazz does, it does better. Zool 2 is probably Jazz's closest competition in terms of everything it does, and while I like Zool 2 a lot, jazz is just a superior game.

I also really dug the mode 7 special stages in jazz back in the day. They take obvious inspiration from Sonic CD's special stages.

It's like proto-dubstep. No joke. Like, add in some more bass, some drops, and you're there.

And yes, the song is awesome.

edited October 2013
    I started speccing out the parts for a Windows 95/98 PC last night. I'd want something in the 233 mhz range, preferably about 32-64 mb ram, a Soundblaster AWE64 or Live card, and most importantly, a Voodoo 2 3D accelerator. I'm kinda torn on the video card - on the one hand, I have always dreamed of owning a Diamond Edge 3D "Sega PC" NV1 card. They do so much cool shit - in addition to being nvidia's first video card, it also has built in sound capabilities and a bunch of rare, obscure sega PC ports run natively in it. it was basically a super charged Sega Saturn for your PC, and even had a Sega Saturn controller port built in. Stuff like Virtua Squad (the PC version of Virtua Cop) and Panzer Dragoon ran on it.

Only problem is the Diamond Edge 3D sold like crap, and thus is super rare now, especially complete with drivers CD, the never-sold-in-stores Sega games, and the very hard to find Sega Saturn port. More problematic, I dunno if it can work with a voodoo 2 - the voodoo 2 is just an accelerator card that passed through video from a 2D card. I dunno if I can use a diamond 3D with a voodoo 2.

more than likely, I'll put together my windows 98 class PC here in the next several months - the build if cheap, under $200 for absolutely everything, and then, down the line, I'll build my own "Sega PC" with a dedicated diamond edge 3D.

EDIT: That said, being able to play Grim Fandango on this machine will be worth it.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I think with most of the older 3D games, you can specify the device that it uses, so you could conceivably run both cards. Not 100% sure, though.

My first 3D card was the Diamond Monster II. That was eye-opening, playing Unreal with it for the first time.

I remember eventually getting the Voodoo 5 5500 for my next upgrade. Man, that card was a beast at the time. I couldn't believe I was dropping $300 on a video card. Now that's a decent mid-range card price.

Edit:

Voodoo5-5500-photo.jpg

Dem flames

Sir Carcass on
    I remember going into Micro Center here in Houston back in the 90's and just staring outside of that huge glass case they kept those voodoo boxes in. Any voodoo I buy will definitely come with the box. Flashiest, most amazing cards I've ever seen. Never owned one. I want a Voodoo 2 specifically because, to me, that card was THE accelerator card of the time. The voodoo 3 and onward is when they started releasing all-in-one cards, but the voodoo 2 AFAIK was only available as an accelerator card (the all-in-one voodoo 2 solution was the banshee, right?).

To this day, when I see voodoo 2 stuff on, like, youtube, I get this warm fuzzy feeling that reminds me of the playstation and n64. I'd love to play, for example, the FF VII PC release on a voodoo 2.

You make me want to get my old Win98 computer up and running.
    I had an old AMD K6-2 that clocked in at 300 mHZ, which I Overclocked to 375 mHZ (because that's all the board could take). I then installed a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI (because it didn't have an AGP slot). I also found an old SoundBlaster 64 of some kind that I was using for better audio.
    I think I trashed the rest, but I know I saved the Voodoo 3.

Yeah, the Voodoo 2 was the one. It's what caused 3D gaming to really hit the PC. I remember a friend of mine got a Voodoo 1 first and playing Resident Evil on it. I think that game wouldn't even run in software mode, which was a big deal at the time. Then the Voodoo 2 came out and that's when I jumped on board. I bought that sometime in 1998. I ordered it online and remember it taking forever to arrive. First there was a problem with the billing, then the UPS shipment got delayed. I was off work and remember just sleeping all day so I didn't have to wait all day for the shipment to arrive the next day.

I also still remember buying that Voodoo 5. It had just come out and was the new hotness, the first time I was able to really jump in on something like that. I think I ended up buying it from an Office Depot or Circuit City. But yeah, I definitely remember The Case and the employee taking that big ass box out and handing it to me. I think at that point I had a crappy ViRGE card, so it was a huge upgrade and Deus Ex never looked so good.

see I don't want to get too up there in the clock speed - I plan on building an XP gaming machine far down the road. Ideally, 166 mhz should be perfect for this next PC, but I figure 233 mhzz or 266 mhz would be safer. I kinda want to have 3 vintage gaming PCs representing different eras:

486 DX with soundblaster 16 - old MS-DOS "16-bit" PC gaming, characterized by 2D games, "3D" games like Doom, and the gravis gamepad

Wintel Pentium PC - the one I'm describing above with a voodoo 2, characterized by oldschool 3D polygons and the Microsoft Sidewinder gamepad

Windows XP PC - last gen PC gaming, basically a half-life box.

I wonder if I still have my Sidewinder gamepad. I used to love that thing, but I may have gotten rid of it when I cleaned out a closet a few years ago and got rid of most of my computer parts.

I do still have my Sidewinder FF 2 joystick.

I had a variety of sidewinders. I mostly remember this:

084136212_083730105560226e39ffd0ea3445c9b0fc90e8011ac8fa526.jpg

Which was just a flat-out godly controller at the time. So non-descript and low key, not very flashy, but fuck it was great. It was both digital AND analog, and it had just terrific button placement. 6 face buttons, 2 triggers, and hell it even had a button that was perfect for start or escape in games.

I also had one of these:

Microsoft_sidewinder.jpg

The classic, quintessential windows 95 controller. It was alright. It's actually what pops into my mind when i think of resident evil 2 and street fighter alpha 2, beccause that's what I played them with.

I also had the flight stick pro, nott he really badass one with all the buttons, but the first model:

Sidewinder_3D_Pro.jpg

I got it when it first came out because it was practically the only controller on the market with more than 4 buttons at the time. It was unlike later multi-button controllers in that only games made specifically for it used those extra buttons. Only Mechwarrior 2 and Descent 2 used them of the games I owned. That controller I associate more with DOS gaming than Windows gaming, though.

I also had a variety of those weird, twisty, ugly controllers microsoft put out, but I have no nostalgia for them.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    You make me want to get my old Win98 computer up and running.
    I had an old AMD K6-2 that clocked in at 300 mHZ, which I Overclocked to 375 mHZ (because that's all the board could take). I then installed a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI (because it didn't have an AGP slot). I also found an old SoundBlaster 64 of some kind that I was using for better audio.
    I think I trashed the rest, but I know I saved the Voodoo 3.

Yeah, he has that effect on people. You could have brand new computer, play all your games on the highest settings, and after reading sonic retard posts, you just want to find an old computer and play classic games.

I saw our old windows 95 computer in the garage the other day. I want to go grab it now and try to get it running. I don't even know what video card is in it. It was custom built for us at the time, and all I knew was it played the games I wanted to play like MDK.

anoffday on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    A pentium 233MMX sounds like the right kind of beast for you.

And I still have my PCI Voodoo 3 3000. I should test it some day.

wait, my PC still has pci ports, and the Voodoo is, of course, GLIDE. that means... So many Mechs.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    Yeah, I had that second Sidewinder gamepad, the non-USB one. I think it came with the pre-built computer I got right after graduation (1997). I used it until I bought a PS2 to USB adapter and started using my dual shock, which was maybe 2004.

I had a Gravis Gamepad Pro until very recently. That's the pad featured all over Jazz Jackrabbit.

camo_sig2.png
    I had a Gravis Gamepad Pro until very recently. That's the pad featured all over Jazz Jackrabbit.

Not to nitpick, but the Gravis PC Gamepad is featured all over jazz jackrabbit:

gravis_pc_gamepad_wallpaper_by_clotosetz-d4rxqku.jpg

the Gravis gamepad Pro is the playstation looking one:

gravis_gamepad_pro.jpg

I have a special affinity for the original gravis PC gamepad, it's one of the best controllers ever made if not only for its versatility. The Amiga and CDi versions in particular are extra awesome, because the amiga version maps up and down to the 2 other buttons and the CDi version gives you rapid fire. The mapping of up and down to a db-9 gamepad is, without question, one of the best perks of any controller I own, period. It makes them absolutely invaluable as an old-school console gamer going back and playing retro pc games. It comes in handy for everything from the Atari 8-bit to the C64 to the Amiga and, hell, even the MSX. games like maze of galious (the incredible game that inspired La Mulana) would be virtually unplayable to me if I had to actually hit up to jump. The gravis pad makes it playable.

So I've decided to call this a general vintage PC thread, since I'm about complete with my DosBox and moving onto a Wintel machine for my next build.

On that note, this arrived today:

CY7PKnw.jpg

Dual 450 mhz PowerPC processors, 80 gb hdd, fresh install of OSX 10.5. Got the matching keyboard and mouse and I'm picking up a local Apple studio display today for $30:

StudioDisplay21.jpg

Like that. 17". This was the computer I used in highschool when I was my school's technology editor for their journalism department. Lots of memories on that thing. I don't exactly know what I'll use it for - probably just a general purpose computer for, like, browsing the web, using photoshop, writing papers, etc. I.E. anything non-media, non-gaming related that my other computers wouldn't be better suited for.

i've always liked the look of that powermac. Got the entire thing for $25.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Speaking of voodoo cards, I still have my original pass through card somewhere about! I have no idea what model though.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    So I've decided to call this a general vintage PC thread, since I'm about complete with my DosBox and moving onto a Wintel machine for my next build.

CY7PKnw.jpg

Dual 450 mhz PowerPC processors, 80 gb hdd, fresh install of OSX 10.5. Got the matching keyboard and mouse and I'm picking up a local Apple studio display today for $30:

StudioDisplay21.jpg

Like that. 17". This was the computer I used in highschool when I was my school's technology editor for their journalism department. Lots of memories on that thing. I don't exactly know what I'll use it for - probably just a general purpose computer for, like, browsing the web, using photoshop, writing papers, etc. I.E. anything non-media, non-gaming related that my other computers wouldn't be better suited for.

Are there any memorable games for these kind of macs?

anoffday wrote: »

CY7PKnw.jpg

StudioDisplay21.jpg

Are there any memorable games for these kind of macs?

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*gasp*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Mac OS 7 had the Marathon Series, but all existing games and backwards compatibility broke with OS 8 and up. I think after that they were in some weird sort of limbo where they only received a Blizzard game and occasional other ported game. The architecture used for 7, 8 and 9 are all completely different than nothing would run between them. Not to mention that they changed architecture to the PowerPC chip when they introduced the OS 8 version of Macs, going from an old Motorola 6886 (or something like that) processor (from when they made processors).
    To my knowledge, and I'm most likely horribly incorrect with this, there is no real "platform making" game out there for OS 8 and 9. Just sporadic ports of other games. At least OS 7 had backwards compatibility with OS6 and a bit of 5. I know they weren't called "OS 7", but I don't remember what they were and how to differentiate between them any more. Whereas by the time OS 8 and 9 were out, everything was on Windows, so gamers stayed there.

Gaming? On a Mac? Surely you jest. Actually, the only time I remember Macs being seriously talked about in gaming magazines were when sony was suing that connectix virtual gamestation emulator back in the day. Egm or gamepro ran a story with an imac running street fighter alpha 3 on it with "emulate me" under it.

So yeah. That's my memories of mac gaming. Law suits and other people's games lol.

In case it's not obvious, I'm not an Apple person. I have an old Macintosh that ran last time I tuned it on... like 13 years ago. Uh, I got in to programming with hypercard in the 2nd grade. I had an ipod once, and an iphone 3gs. That's my entire history with Apple.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I have one of those Sidewinder sticks sitting about five feet away from me, hooked up to my own DOS/98 Pentium 100. That stick got me through the first three Wing Commanders and most, if not all, of X-wing et al.

I have one of those Sidewinder sticks sitting about five feet away from me, hooked up to my own DOS/98 Pentium 100. That stick got me through the first three Wing Commanders and most, if not all, of X-wing et al.

I had this generic, grey, 2 button fight stick that got me through wing commander and x wing and tie fighter. It still works and I still have it. Wound up being a solid joystick. It out lived my side winder pro.

Keyboarding Wing Commander 4 life

Oh, and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo4BpgfWiBE

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    214654638_DXoDs-L-2.jpg

Oops, I got confused, I had the regular Gravis Gamepad.

camo_sig2.png
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I played through the entire of Wing Commander on a CD32 pad. Because I had it on CD32. And still do.

I might play that tonight...

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Sega PC games are hard to find or something? I know I have a few CDs...I want to say Daytona, Hang On and Virtua Cop?

uyvfOQy.png
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Sega PC games are hard to find or something? I know I have a few CDs...I want to say Daytona, Hang On and Virtua Cop?

No, Sega NV1 PC games, games that require the so-called "Sega PC card" (aka native Diamond Edge 3D NV1 games) are hard to find because they were only sold OEM and not in stores. All of them were later re-released as DirectDraw games.

For example, you list Virtua Cop - that's a re-release. The Original OEM version was Virtua Squad.

I always wanted one of those "full 3DO in a PCI (or ISA, I can't remember) boards"
    Also, the best game to show off your Config.sys and Autoexec.bat mad skillz is Ultima VII, if you can get it to run with full sound, music and speech. Well, any Origin game. Privateer, WC2, Ultima VIII, WC3...

Mang, I'll never miss those 4 minutes it took for each WC3 mission to load from CD-ROM to RAM.

camo_sig2.png
    I always wanted one of those "full 3DO in a PCI (or ISA, I can't remember) boards"
    Also, the best game to show off your Config.sys and Autoexec.bat mad skillz is Ultima VII, if you can get it to run with full sound, music and speech. Well, any Origin game. Privateer, WC2, Ultima VIII, WC3...

Mang, I'll never miss those 4 minutes it took for each WC3 mission to load from CD-ROM to RAM.

That's why you copy the TRE files to your hard drive and edit the ini.

even then it took several minutes, it's amazing how I was willing to wait so long to play. That game was my life for a few months.

camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2013

The creative labs 3DO Blaster ISA card. Oh man, I saw one of those in Electronics Boutique once, just as the 3DO was hitting obsolescence. Considering I had seen 3DOs going for like $700 just a year and a half later, the card at $150 seemed so cheap to me. It came bundled with this special CD-Rom drive which, apparently, is needed for the blaster to work (it won't work with normal drives, or so i've read). I really really wanted it, but figured it probably would be smarter to try and swing a real 3DO instead.

Flash forward 20 years, and the thing is like the holy grail of 3DO collecting (outside of an M2). Fuck I should have bought it. I'm a sucker for neat inter-operable compatibility like that. I have an Amstrad MegaPC, for example - that's an Amstrad CPC with a built in Sega Mega Drive - that I can't use because I lack the hyper-rare Sega PC monitor.
    That's why you copy the TRE files to your hard drive and edit the ini.

this is how you know you DOS'd hardcore. I used to do that with all of my CD-ROM games back in the day, on my mighty 500 mb HDD. It was awesome because, sometimes, you'd run into games that were hardcoded to search for the CD-Rom drive, but they'd be written to expect the drive to be D:\ and you could just pop in a second HDD (or partition your HDD into two like a boss) and copy all the files and they'd think D:\ was a CD-Rom drive.

I hated games like Super Street Fighter II Turbo, though, which actually streamed redbook audio from the drive, preventing you from doing this. Descent II was another game that streamed redbook audio. In retrospect, that is a good thing, but at the time, I hated it.

Also, I remember combining the 3 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 5 1/4" floppies into a single 3 1/2" floppy. lol

TheSonicRetard on
    edited October 2013
    I definitely didn't have enough HDD space for the full Wing Commander III. And I did have the gameplay TREs installed, it was just SLOW.

I dare you guys to name a most mindblowing game intro on the 486 than Ultima VII's.

"AVATAAAAAR...."

EDIT: Also, I remember that all DVD-ROM drives used to come with a proprietary hardware video decoder card, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to run the movies... And that meant that several games had bundled versions that would only work in the complete, proprietary setup, like the amazing double sided Wing Commander IV dvd.

Luckily, Internet people, like Gulikoza, HCl and several DOS-Box guys made incredibly smart little patches that allowed anyone to run those games. And this was how I bought the dual side WCIV DVD for like 15 dollars on eBay and was able to play it.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png