As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Exploring the ruins of New Detroit with VBomb and The Canadians! [Giant Bomb]

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    "walking simulator" sounds like you're trying to diss on gone home and uh

no

no that makes you a fuckin' chump

It was cool and different and good but I don't get the overabundance of praise

"it's cool and different and good but i don't understand why people like it"

yup sounds pretty chumpy

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    To be fair to Blizzard, they've been working on their MOBA before everyone in the universe decided to make a MOBA.

And if their announcement promise of matches around 20 minutes is true, I might actually play it.

Also no last-hitting.

See

Everyone rushing to copy the industry leader

SMITE

8-)

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Scudo wrote: »
    today I entered a raffle at work for Monday Night Raw tickets, mostly because GB talks about wrestling so much that I feel like I should try to see this dumb thing in person

Live wrestling is so much fun.

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Gone Home is overpriced.

I'd have probably bought 3 copies at 10 instead of 1 at 20.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    "Oh, one more thing," Aonuma wrote. "I see many of you have been asking about a remake of Majora's Mask for Nintendo 3DS. It's nice to see such a strong response to this title, and we haven't forgotten about Link's adventures in that world. If you play A Link Between Worlds, you may better understand what I mean by that."

don't you fucking do this to me aonuma

One of the screens out there has Majora's Mask on one of the interior walls of a building

Maybe that's as far as it goes

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular

no

yup sounds pretty chumpy

"it's cool but I don't think that cool"

" yeah well instead of explaining my own opinions and thoughts and having a discussion I will snidely dismiss you"

yup sounds pretty chumpy

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

no

yup sounds pretty chumpy

People liking it does not equate to a perceived overabundance of praise

But you already know that

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    even bioshock infinite's dlc is a walking simulator

I am interested in seeing how that turns out + is received

assassin's creed revelations' walking simulation sections were not highly reviewed

I liked the idea but kinda hated the whole first-person block puzzle thing.

IKknkhU.gif
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    RPS called them First Person Walkers

RPS'es head is up its collective ass

The RPS staff is generally into arty shit, so I'm sure the term was invented as some good-natured ribbing.

The RPS readership on the other hand...

If people like it they will praise it!

if a lot of people like it, there will be a lot of praise around for it!

either way gone home rules peace out

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I thought we had a tech thread but I don't see one around. I was thinking of joining the 21st century and getting an mp3 player, are there actually things besides an ipod now? because $140 seems really fucking expensive

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular

thats cool but in the future engage in constructive dialog instead of name calling!

what did you like about gone home? what did you not like about gone home?

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    I'd like to point out that there are people out there right now criticizing the Giant Bomb crew for playing the Hatsune Miku game without researching and knowing the difference between Miku and Luka. Would bringing in a vocaloid expert really have made their coverage of that game better?

To someone who actually like those games?

Absolutely.

The thing about Giant Bomb is that Quick Looks aren't reviews, they are often purely for comedic purposes

quick looks get more hits than their reviews, and they absolutely help give an impression of both the game and the players/reviewers

I think Quick Looks are infinitely more helpful that reviews

But even then, some degree of familiarity is needed. The sports QL's, while funny, are completely useless if you're trying to decide whether or not to buy those games because no one on staff cares enough about sports games to be able to play them in such a way as to show the quality of the actual game.

Well, maybe that busted Madden game...

like how you don't need to know jack shit about football to find Jon Bois' Breaking Madden series hilarious, but Breaking Madden doesn't actually tell you anything about how the game performs under the conditions of actual gameplay or whether or not that gameplay is fun

august wrote: »
    RPS called them First Person Walkers

RPS'es head is up its collective ass

The RPS staff is generally into arty shit, so I'm sure the term was invented as some good-natured ribbing.

The RPS readership on the other hand...

sounds like someone made the mistake of reading the comments section on anything ever

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I have seen a couple people be a little overzealous in recommending Gone Home, but that often happens with games people are really excited about.

It seems neat to me but the price tag is too high for a game I might not enjoy, and also that is rather short to my understanding.

Like, someone in a different thread said try had a rough week and wanted to game out this weekend and asked of he should get Ironclad Tactics, Gone Home or some other third game.

I said Ironclad would do him solid, should take him 10 hours about to clear the solo content and then he has the co-op and multi stuff to do. Other people basically just said how amazing Gone Home is. But recommending a $20 three hour game to someone who wants to game out for a weekend is quite missing the mark, to me.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    NAME TEN GAMES BETTER THAN GONE HOME THIS YEAR

liEt3nH.png

thats cool but in the future engage in constructive dialog instead of name calling!

i'm gonna say that referring to a thing people like and consider to be very good as a walking simulator is also being really snide and dismissive, so maybe not as constructive a dialog as you were thinking

which is convenient because i don't feel like doing that right now, i'd rather make some posts and play some pokemon so

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Gone Home is my GOTY, which I didn't expect going in.

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09

i'm gonna say that referring to a thing people like and consider to be very good as a walking simulator is also being really snide and dismissive, so maybe not as constructive a dialog as you were thinking

which is convenient because i don't feel like doing that right now, i'd rather make some posts and play some pokemon so

i think you took the humorous phrase 'walking simulator' that I used on a game i already had professed to have enjoyed a bit too personally. (also you mostly just walk)

go play pokemon

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg

1. pokemon

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg

1. pokemon

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    I'd like to point out that there are people out there right now criticizing the Giant Bomb crew for playing the Hatsune Miku game without researching and knowing the difference between Miku and Luka. Would bringing in a vocaloid expert really have made their coverage of that game better?

To someone who actually like those games?

Absolutely.

The thing about Giant Bomb is that Quick Looks aren't reviews, they are often purely for comedic purposes

quick looks get more hits than their reviews, and they absolutely help give an impression of both the game and the players/reviewers

I think Quick Looks are infinitely more helpful that reviews

But even then, some degree of familiarity is needed. The sports QL's, while funny, are completely useless if you're trying to decide whether or not to buy those games because no one on staff cares enough about sports games to be able to play them in such a way as to show the quality of the actual game.

like how you don't need to know jack shit about football to find Jon Bois' Breaking Madden series hilarious, but Breaking Madden doesn't actually tell you anything about how the game performs under the conditions of actual gameplay or whether or not that gameplay is fun

Breaking Madden is gold

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/assets/3395455/heckbully.gif

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig

i think you took the humorous phrase 'walking simulator' that I used on a game i already had professed to have enjoyed a bit too personally. (also you mostly just walk)

go play pokemon

maybe!

i get really flustered when i see something even close to the sort of "yeah but it's not even really a game" shit people throw about when it comes to games like gone home

it makes me wanna break windows

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    maaaaan i'm waffling on whether i should cancel my ps4 preorder

i mean i know i'm gonna get one in the near future because metal gear

but there's nothing to really do with it at launch that i care about or can't do elsewhere

but on the other hand I already have it bought and paid for and don't really have anything else I wanna spend the money on

i mean i could get a One, I guess, but eh

1. pokemon

1pokemon(X) = 10

Ride to Hell: Retribution
    Motorbike
    RIPD
    The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct
    Pacific Rim
    Way of the Dogg
    Aliens Colonial Marines
    Star Trek
    Liesure Suit Larry Reloaded
    Dead Island Riptide

the stanley parable is definitely better than gone home though

i'm not even sure if i've beaten it yet, or if you can beat it?

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Wow, Cosmo is doing Wind Waker. That is still 4+ hours I believe, and has the most opportunities for disaster.

The strats for Ocarina Any% have changed a bunch since we saw it on Giant Bomb. They have it under 20 minutes now

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    maaaaan i'm waffling on whether i should cancel my ps4 preorder

i mean i know i'm gonna get one in the near future because metal gear

but there's nothing to really do with it at launch that i care about or can't do elsewhere

but on the other hand I already have it bought and paid for and don't really have anything else I wanna spend the money on

i mean i could get a One, I guess, but eh

ouya_console.jpg

6F32U1X.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    in no order
    Enemy Within
    Pokemon X
    Pokemon Y
    Magic 2014
    Animal Crossing New Leaf
    Antichamber
    Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
    Hotline Miami's mac release
    Monaco
    The Wolf Among Us

I am not sure if I have played 10 games released this year. Including Gone Home.

What have I played that came out this year?

Ironclad Tactics
    Gunpoint
    Ni No Kuni (meh)
    MG Revengeance
    Monster Hunter 4
    Pokemon X/Y

That may be it?

New XCOM will be awesome.

Anyway, fairly certain that I will like all of those games more than I like Gone Home.

With the exception of Ni no Kuni, that game was meh.

The only game I've played released in 2013 was the Civ5 expansion...

Counting both Pokemon games and a port of a 2012 game is cheating.

And I am suspect of that ANTIchamber, ANTImatter.

I call bias.

But seriously guys Motorbike is GOTY

TheStig wrote: »
    gtrmp wrote: »

Breaking Madden is gold

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/assets/3395455/heckbully.gif

Video Game Hell: Let's Place LeBron James and the Miami Heat in the NHL
    I decided it was time to make goalies more accountable. I tried my best to identify the best goalie in the NHL, and eventually settled on Henrik Lundqvist of the New York Rangers. I assumed control of the franchise, released every skater on the team, and replaced them with the Miami Heat.

[...]

I rolled the tape back and forth dozens of times. This ... this thing, this No. 0, appeared on the bench out of thin air. Occasionally, the blue streak would pour from the cavity where its head was supposed to be, surveilling as perhaps its eyes would.

There was no No. 0 on the Rangers. Of this, I was positive. I had pored over the entire roster, dumping and adding and double-checking and triple-checking the men on the bench. The box score showed that No. 0 was on the ice for 22 seconds. It did not give him a name, only a period.

I had taught the game horror, and so it was only natural that it would produce horrors of its own. It made this headless monster out of fear, of confusion, of hatred. I had built this game a Hell, and it gifted me a demon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-jpgoYsssI

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Gone Home is absolutely my favorite game of the year. Liked it more than GTA 5, despite being a fraction as long.

Counting both Pokemon games and a port of a 2012 game is cheating.

And I am suspect of that ANTIchamber, ANTImatter.

I call bias.

Antichamber looks really, really neat.

I regret not picking it up on the cheap when it was on sale.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    lemme think, games i've played this year
    metal gear rising
    bioshock infinite
    antichamber
    year walk
    animal crossing
    fire emblem
    luigi's mansion
    pokemon x
    shin megami tensei iv
    wonderful 101
    wind waker hd