As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sleepy Hollow] - Season 4 starts this Friday! Watch it!

DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
edited January 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
130731SleepyHollow1_210x305.jpg
From the listless repose of the place, and the peculiar character of its inhabitants, who are descendants from the original Dutch settlers, this sequestered glen has long been known by the name of Sleepy Hollow... A drowsy, dreamy influence seems to hang over the land, and to pervade the very atmosphere.

except well there are guns and it's in modern times and there are demons and things aren't what they seem and he has a shotgun wait what?

24wxz7l.jpg[/img]

okay so he has a shotgun. well then this is going to go a different route isn't it?

Honestly. I can't say that it is a fantastic show or that it is worth a rant or a rave. However there doesn't seem to be much sci-fi or fantasy on the market right now and with Halloween right around the corner this show is filling a particular niche that i'm a fan of. There's an ongoing mystery, a possible monster of the week formula, and it's all set around a familiar narrative in modern times. I think it could get a few seasons and well it seems to be pretty far under the radar at the moment. Has anyone else been watching?

tl;dr
http://www.fox.com/sleepy-hollow/full-episodes/48063555528

Full episodes are up on Fox and hulu. Which em while you can. Then get back to me.

steam_sig.png
DasUberEdward on

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I've been watching it and I rather like the cast. I do wonder how long he's going to be walking around in old timely clothes tho.

Cabezone on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Caught the second episode. Intrigued. Had everything I was interested in. Reminds me of Supernatural. The black girl whose a main star was a great cast. I see a bright career ahead of her. She's awesome. :^:

@DasUberEdward : Fantasy and sci-fi tv shows are becoming popular again. There are a few on regular cable (Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, Agents of SHIELD, Arrow) and premium cable (Game of Thrones, True Blood) and more coming up (Flash, Once Upon a Time's spin-off, The Originals, The Tomorrow People).

Harry Dresden on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    It's a pretty fun show, and it's not like there's much on this season worthwhile.

Also, saw this
    Series premiered on September 16, 2013 to 10 million viewers with 3.5 rating/9 share which was double the amount that Fox's Mob Doctor brought in at the same time last year and marked the network's highest rated fall drama premiere since the 2006 police drama Standoff.

So that's a pretty good sign, too.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Really for me there is a whole where Fringe used to be and without True Blood or GoT on I'm not watching much weird stuff.

It's a bad sign when old times clothes are just starting to look like a hip fashion choice. I hardly noticed it.

I'm really curious if it'll be monster of the week or if there will be more continuity. I thought the fire bomb may not have been enough. But.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    Really for me there is a whole where Fringe used to be and without True Blood or GoT on I'm not watching much weird stuff.

It's a bad sign when old times clothes are just starting to look like a hip fashion choice. I hardly noticed it.

I'm really curious if it'll be monster of the week or if there will be more continuity. I thought the fire bomb may not have been enough. But.

With shows like this it's both. The Four Horsemen theme is likely a series plot.

The only thing that really bugged me is that Death isn't the first Horseman. It's the last.

I don't even get why they did that, unless it's just a general "OOH~ DEATH~" thing. The actual first horseman, Conquest, would have worked just as well, considering.

camo_sig2.png

Blackjack wrote: »
    The only thing that really bugged me is that Death isn't the first Horseman. It's the last.

I don't even get why they did that, unless it's just a general "OOH~ DEATH~" thing. The actual first horseman, Conquest, would have worked just as well, considering.

I'm hoping maybe we will see horsemen from different eras throughout time

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2013
    So I thought that them saying Sleepy Hollow had a population of 144,000 was just TV not understanding how small towns work (the real Sleepy Hollow being a much more sleepy 10,000) but then on another forum for this show I saw this being quoted
    Others insist the [bliblical use of the numbers] 12,000 and 144,000 are literal numbers and representing either descendants of Jacob (also called Israel in the Bible) or others to whom God has given a superior destiny with a distinct role at the time of the end of the world.

Sneaky, show. Very sneaky.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

So I thought that them saying Sleepy Hollow had a population of 144,000 was just TV not understanding how small towns work (the real Sleepy Hollow being a much more sleepy 10,000) but then on another forum for this show I saw this being quoted
    Others insist the [bliblical use of the0 numbers 12,000 and 144,000 are literal numbers and representing either descendants of Jacob (also called Israel in the Bible) or others to whom God has given a superior destiny with a distinct role at the time of the end of the world.

Oh wow. That's a depth I was not expecting.

steam_sig.png
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I'm liking this show so far. It reminds me a lot of Supernaterals first couple of seasons with the mix of a monster of the week being brought in as a precursor for the apocalypse and the horseman being the overarching storyline. If the show lasts long enough, maybe a new horseman can be awoken every season with a forth or fifth season set as a hard end to the series.

(sort of how Supernatural was supposed to end after
    Sam and Dean trapped Lucifer back in the pit
    )

LostNinja on
    I would definitely not enjoy seeing this horseman thing drug out over four or five seasons.

steam_sig.png
    Apparently, this season is only 13 episodes, which I think is great. I love when a season has less than the unfortunate standard of 22, since this allows tighter plotting, less filler episodes, gives the writers/showrunners more time to actually plan things out, and gives the actors more time to rest/pursue other projects, leading to less of a desire to just get the show over with so they can move on.

camo_sig2.png

edited September 2013
    Apparently, this season is only 13 episodes, which I think is great. I love when a season has less than the unfortunate standard of 22, since this allows tighter plotting, less filler episodes, gives the writers/showrunners more time to actually plan things out, and gives the actors more time to rest/pursue other projects, leading to less of a desire to just get the show over with so they can move on.

Both formats have their pluses and minuses.

Harry Dresden on
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Others insist the [bliblical use of the numbers] 12,000 and 144,000 are literal numbers and representing either descendants of Jacob (also called Israel in the Bible) or others to whom God has given a superior destiny with a distinct role at the time of the end of the world.

Yeah.

It's a very very important number for Revelation and for various religious sects.

• TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Watched the first episode, because theres only so much hulu has. I was pretty unimpressed for some reason. The last 5 minutes of the first episode intrigued me though. We'll see how it goes.

I think the fox link I posted in the OP has both episodes.

steam_sig.png
    Just started watching tonight's episode. I noticed in a paused frame that when they speak of the four horsemen and show a brief glimpse of them riding one definitely seems to be from feudal japan. so there could be a chance for some globe trotting.

steam_sig.png
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I'd like Orlando Jones to get more involved but I think that will come with time.

I have a feeling he's definitely leading the local bad guy club

steam_sig.png
  • buffylovebuffylove Registered User regular

It can lead to a tighter show, but if the show has a big mythology, then it can force them to rush through a lot of plot and cut out any character development, making it feel hollow. It seems with all the inclusion of witches and the four horsemen stuff they have a pretty big mythology. I like the show, though, so I'm hoping the short season works for them.

New story -- DUMP SITE
    banner___book_with_title_close_up_resized_by_paul_a_newman-d6mcq5v.jpg
    Man...the sandman was creepy as fuck.

camo_sig2.png

He hit all of the right horror notes. I like how he was ultimately kind of just.

Well suicide.

steam_sig.png
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I have been enjoying the show so far. Jones has the demeanor, but not the voice/inflection. It's way too soft for his role. I blame age.

I almost wish they played up the "he has no idea how anything works" shtick in the off moments. Also yeah the clothes thing should of been one of the first things they swapped out. a soldier back then, even high ranking spy wouldnt have smelled too great, even with a clothes sink wash.

It makes me think there going to drag out little facts, I give it 4 episodes before "He's the president?!?!!??!!?

On the population stuff reference, this show seems to be pretty smart about how it's tackling things and building story and legend.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I'm pretty impressed at how they have handled Crane adapting to modern society. They have dropped lines that show he is not used to a lot of things, but they haven't had him freak out at every little thing.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Haven't seen the show (yet), but thought I'd pass on that it got renewed for a 2nd season. 1st season will still only be 13 episodes.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I'm pretty impressed at how they have handled Crane adapting to modern society. They have dropped lines that show he is not used to a lot of things, but they haven't had him freak out at every little thing.
    This, totally. Showing his hotel room covered with sticky notes was a great touch, as is his reaction to Starbucks, the 10% tax, or a modern gun.
    I especially like the fact that while his lack of understanding the modern world is noted, it's not really dwelt upon. It may be a handful of lines an episode, but they never seem to focus on it to the detriment of the show or to kill the flow of the episode.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    see317 wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    This, totally. Showing his hotel room covered with sticky notes was a great touch, as is his reaction to Starbucks, the 10% tax, or a modern gun.
    I especially like the fact that while his lack of understanding the modern world is noted, it's not really dwelt upon. It may be a handful of lines an episode, but they never seem to focus on it to the detriment of the show or to kill the flow of the episode.

This bit is probably one of the highlights of the show for me so far, and I'm loving the rest of the show so that says a lot.

I'm not getting that at all, if he was bad I would expect him to be more of a hindrance to them going off and handling the supernatural stuff off on the side. As is, he seems to be supporting them, he just can't be seen to be for obvious reasons. So he supports them by giving them the freedom to do their thing, thinking the less he has to know about it the better.

LostNinja on
    Well I think it's safe to say their particularly and conveniently capable team could end a National Treasure movie or Dan Brown book in a quarter of the usual time.

steam_sig.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    thank u northstar lady named yolanda

for showin me the wonders of dis entertainment system

obF2Wuw.png
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    The adrenaline was pretty great.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    i kept thinking of neat tag lines to use for the thread title

but really i love that he keeps having fun with modern things like the sticky tape and the comment about plastics.

steam_sig.png
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular

I'm not getting that at all, if he was bad I would expect him to be more of a hindrance to them going off and handling the supernatural stuff off on the side. As is, he seems to be supporting them, he just can't be seen to be for obvious reasons. So he supports them by giving them the freedom to do their thing, thinking the less he has to know about it the better.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not sure what his angle is. He was completely willing to accept the "yes we stopped it and it won't happen again" as a case closed situation regarding the sandman victims. Also, his total acceptance at them being in that locked record all. Why would a cop need a "secret lair" to do her police work. Something is fishy.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Irving is most likely working with the good coven of witches. I mean his last name alone ties him at least with Ichabod, and someone set up the Oxford cover story and it certainly wasn't our heroes.

I just hope that doesn't mean we lose Jones, I like him as the 80's action movie captain to our loose canons.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I would have gone with his Evolution role. Still comedians can do drama really well, Robin Williams was great when he went all serious. And so far Jones is doing good with a fairly limited role that another person would trip over. And its nice that the cast of Sleepy Hollow has some god damn color in it, especially one that is supposed to be located where its at.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    ohhh even got an avatar change out of it.

steam_sig.png
    Ichabod is just so dreamy. Plus its the new supernatural.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    It has two very attractive leads and that doesn't hurt a damn thing.

steam_sig.png
    And unlike AoS, the leads here actually have chemistry with each other. I like that they are going for a more justifiedish 13 ep season, should mean the writers can avoid having to put up filler episodes like Supernatural does.

Though please someone get Ichabod some new clothes, I mean come on the man has fashion sense he should know its time to blend better.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Well they did mention is clothing in the most recent episode. I've pretty muched tuned out from AoS i'd much rather watch this cast frolic around in the dark than deal with all of the forced whimsical banter.

I'll wait for AoS to get closer to the end of the season before coming to a conclusion.

Basically i'm not so certain people would be watching it if it wasn't in the marvel universe with the promise of heroes.

steam_sig.png