As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Thursday, October 17, 2013 - Guest Art - Maki Naro

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited October 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Guest Art - Maki Naro

Guest Art - Maki Naro
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/guest-art-maki-naro

The Workbug

Anonymous

I was an intern at an Emergency Room when this happened; someone had collapsed and his friends/coworkers had brought him in. He came in with a bad infection, and the attending doctor recommended that he take it easy and tried to get him to stay at the hospital. It turned out that the patient was a QA tester for a video game company, though he didn’t write which one, only that he worked in QA. His coworkers had left almost immediately after bringing him in, and he refused to be hospitalized because he was sure he’d be fired if he was. We were forced to allow him to leave AMA.

He was back the next week, except this time he had to be hospitalized because his respiratory bug had progressed into full-on pneumonia. He was rather distraught, and the attending told him that he was confident the company wouldn’t be so heartless that they’d fire someone for taking sick leave.

The patient got a call three days later telling him he was fired.

Geth on

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    this is the best guest art i've ever seen

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Worthy of the retina display

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    chanmanchanman Registered User regular
    Unlike the story, which is worthy of the retching display

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Who needs to live when you have a job doing QA?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    This is ridiculously good art.

• Options
    makitorimakitori Registered User regular
    I really hope Robert and the rest let me draw Trenches after Monica dies. I've been working really hard on getting the characters just right...
    trenches2.jpg

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Auuugghhh fuck too early in the morning for this.
    makitori wrote: »
    I really hope Robert and the rest let me draw Trenches after Monica dies.

D: Do you know something we don't?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Holy crap Maki this is the best

• Options
    tlogan722tlogan722 Registered User new member
    In case anyone else was wondering, AMA = Against Medical Advice.

• Options
    Mr.FahrenheitMr.Fahrenheit Registered User regular
    What the hell

• Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    Wonderful art as always.

It reminds me of those still shots from Ren and Stimpy when everything all of the sudden gets too real.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Yup, got a proper John K feel.

Which, if anybody was wondering, is the best.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    KazaxatKazaxat Registered User regular
    Is it weird that my first thought on seeing that Isaac was Nicolas Cage?

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    as political as it sounds, if the story happened in the US, it'd be yet another data point showing a really fucking strong need for a better healthcare system.

i suppose if it happened somewhere outside the US, that place really needs better healthcare, too.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    UNHchaboUNHchabo Registered User regular
    as political as it sounds, if the story happened in the US, it'd be yet another data point showing a really fucking strong need for a better healthcare system.

i suppose if it happened somewhere outside the US, that place really needs better healthcare, too.

The story has nothing to do with the system of payment for healthcare -- the patient's employer was working him so hard that in order to keep his job, he didn't have the time to get treated. If this happened in a country with universal healthcare, then after he was fired he would be able to get his infection treated, but might become homeless due to lack of rent money.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    UNHchabo wrote: »

The story has nothing to do with the system of payment for healthcare -- the patient's employer was working him so hard that in order to keep his job, he didn't have the time to get treated. If this happened in a country with universal healthcare, then after he was fired he would be able to get his infection treated, but might become homeless due to lack of rent money.

i would say that calls for a need to severely punish employers who penalize their workers for trying to not die. that would be part of healthcare reform.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Trenches, a Spümcø production.

• Options
    bbgun06bbgun06 Registered User regular

i would say that calls for a need to severely punish employers who penalize their workers for trying to not die. that would be part of healthcare reform.

I'm pretty sure that it's already illegal to fire someone for being in the hospital. That person should have sued the game company.

• Options
    azmod2000azmod2000 Registered User regular

I think you mean Labour Law reform.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This story is employment related, not health care related. I realize QA positions are temporary in a lot of cases, but firing someone when their health goes south is very early-1900s-America of them. Or as the Red Skull put it,

"Then use what strength they have left. There are always more workers."

Yes, I did that just now. But it's an actual mentality that exists in 2013.

• Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    bbgun06 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that it's already illegal to fire someone for being in the hospital.
    I actually looked this up, and while there are laws that prevent employers from firing employees for being in the hospital, it doesn't apply universally:
    http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2013/03/14/fired-missing-work-doctors-note/
    If your employer has at least 50 employees within a 75 mile radius of your workplace, if you've worked at least a year, and if you have worked at least 1,250 hours in the past year, you are entitled to up to 12 weeks of leave for a serious medical condition. However, "serious" is pretty limited. The Department of Labor explains "serious" this way:

any period of incapacity or treatment connected with inpatient care (i.e., an overnight stay) in a hospital, hospice or residential medical care facility; or.....
    QA is a temporary position a lot of times, so the employee may not have been working there a full year, so he wouldn't have been protected.

• Options
    s73v3rs73v3r Registered User regular
    You know, this company needs to be named and shamed. This story needs to be yelled from the rooftops, and every one of those managers should be publicly humiliated at what they allowed to happen.