As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We've gone too far in the [GIANT BOMB] thread

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Watching them play Pokemon in this quick look is fucking depressing. Jeff and Brad being cynical as all hell about a light critter-catching rpg.

At some point, Brad, if you don't care about animations, sound design, story, or art direction, why bother playing video games? Go play chess and stop lying to yourself.

Ceno on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    So this morning I started watching the VLR spoilercast and Patrick mentioned a secret ending

so I scrambled to play through it on my way to work, including playing while walking in the rain, so I could get back to the spoilercast by the time I got to work

sig.gif
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    I've mentioned this before, but the problem with Sonic is sometimes he's not going fast

He should never not be going fast

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Let's review my guesses. (still talking about VLR)
    Sigma is some kind of clone or fake of the person K is. Had that backwards.
    K is Santa's son. I really stuck by the idea that the person Sigma turned out to be was Santa. I'm a little disappointed the game didn't cover what happened to him.
    Tenmyouji is Junpei. Had that locked down as soon as Quark told me their backstory and they showed us Tenmyouji was carrying Akane's photo.
    The Game's purpose is to try to undo the Radical-6 pandemic through quantum physics somehow. That becomes super obvious about halfway through.
    The bunker/Schrodinger's box is actually located on Mars. Those fuckers. I based that on the mention of the Mars training mission facility. I assumed it was identical to where the game was taking place but that the game was in the real thing. So close yet so far away.
    No significant guesses as to Phi's secrets or the identity of Zero Sr. Actually I sort of suspected Sigma was Zero basically only because I expected a twist. The game didn't even tell me who Phi was though if that's even relevant.
    Brother is Ace. Still think that, expect to be confirmed in the third game.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    Yeah I have trouble listening to them talk about Pokemon

it's just...they don't seem willing to give it a chance. they even seemed less cynical about Skylanders.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Scudo wrote: »

it's just...they don't seem willing to give it a chance. they even seemed less cynical about Skylanders.

I'm proud of Patrick for giving it a chance

He often seems the most likely to dismiss something purely because its popular.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Watching them play Pokemon in this quick look is fucking depressing. Jeff and Brad being cynical as all hell about a light critter-catching rpg.

At some point, Brad, if you don't care about animations, sound design, story, or art direction, why bother playing video games? Go play chess and stop lying to yourself.

But you know, what Brad said is very interesting with regards to a text-based adventure. Now I kinda want to try making a text-based pokemon

• Options

Patrick is also super willing to try new things. He picked up Fire Emblem and Zero Escape purely blindly recently and ended up loving both.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »

Patrick is also super willing to try new things. He picked up Fire Emblem and Zero Escape purely blindly recently and ended up loving both.

Yeah I know, I think that has opened him up to more weird stuff, which is great

I just wish he still weren't so openly derisive of AAA games a lot of the time, but it's definitely nice to have someone on the team to bring up small games

Speaking of which, a coworker who hasn't played games in like 4 years asked me about Super Hot out of the blue today.

Weird.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Patrick is also the Great Dishonored Defender We Need on the Bomb crew which seems a little out of character but endearing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    He's also the hero Yoshi's Island both needs and deserves

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I wish Brad and Jeff weren't so cynical

Is there anything they enjoy?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I wish Brad and Jeff weren't so cynical

Is there anything they enjoy?

Fast and the Furious and Space, respectively

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    brothers, dota

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Whoa, Dishonored needs to be defended? Who on the crew didn't like it?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    saint's row...?

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Jeff was pretty dismissive of it.

• Options
    el_vicio wrote: »

No one except Patrick

• Options
    I like that Jeff is cycnical because he's funny too

And then Vinny is anti-cynical and is also funny

They make a great team

Also Drew is Dreawmy, but that's neither here nor there

• Options

Patrick is literally the only one on the crew that liked it any.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    jeff likes lots of stuff, he talks about it all the time.

• Options

That's messed up

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular

That's messed up

It is pretty messed up that Patrick liked that game

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Brad doesn't have a sense of humor to take the bite off of his cynicism. He just comes off as grumpy and tired of everything and hating his job.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I think Dishonored is an okay game

The whole time I played it, I had no strong feelings one way or the other

I enjoyed Dunwall City Trials more than I did the story of Dishonored

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Brad doesn't have a sense of humor to take the bite off of his cynicism. He just comes off as grumpy and tired of everything and hating his job.

Unless it's Brothers

Or Dota

Or Neogaf

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    Brad is the old man telling people to get off his lawn.

And Vinny is the old man who gives people werther's originals all the time.

xet8c.gif
  • Options

That's messed up

I'm not going to say that Dishonored is bad

But I don't understand it at all

They build these incredibly elaborate areas to sneak around and then make you a combat god

I think I beat that game in like 6 or 7 hours and never really saw any reason or incentive to engage with the sneaking at all

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    jeff is also capable of articulating exactly why he doesn't like something

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular

That's messed up

They build these incredibly elaborate areas to sneak around and then make you a combat god

I think I beat that game in like 6 or 7 hours and never really saw any reason or incentive to engage with the sneaking at all

this is true for pretty much all stealth games nowadays

i felt the same way about metal gear solid for a long time. But if you actually try to stealth and don't give in to just murderfacing your way through every level these games are very rewarding.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Patrick is expecting a lot of HD Gamecube games on the Wii U considering how quickly they turned around Wind Waker HD

And now I'm thinking about things like "Smash Bros Melee HD" and "Paper Mario Thousand Year Door HD" and shut up shut up take all of it here's the deed to my house you can have it you earned it

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013

That's messed up

Well, my first playthrough was no-kill stealth, so my experience seems to be vastly different from yours
    Either way you handle the objectives, the art direction and world building are pretty damn great

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options

That's messed up

Well, my first playthrough was no-kill stealth, so my experience seems to be vastly different from yours
    Either way you handle the objectives, the art direction and world building is pretty damn great

The world building is great but the story is shit

It's like a hyper-bioware game or something in that regard

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    The story was shit but man I don't know that i had a lot more fun last year than blinking around that world and doin stealth

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Patrick is expecting a lot of HD Gamecube games on the Wii U considering how quickly they turned around Wind Waker HD

And now I'm thinking about things like "Smash Bros Melee HD" and "Paper Mario Thousand Year Door HD" and shut up shut up take all of it here's the deed to my house you can have it you earned it

"Metroid Prime HD"

With two analog sticks and triggers like it was a real first-person shooter or something

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

That's messed up

this is true for pretty much all stealth games nowadays

i felt the same way about metal gear solid for a long time. But if you actually try to stealth and don't give in to just murderfacing your way through every level these games are very rewarding.

I think Deus Ex: HR did a better job balancing it. You could take on one guy okay, after that you felt pretty fragile. In Dishonored, you are just a murder machine. Yeah you can stealth, but it's actually harder and more time consuming than just mowing everyone down.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Not that I know anything about grafix but I would think HD-ifying Wind Waker would be easier than hd-ifying other games because of the simple textures

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    So is lost world actually bad because I remember colors and generations did not light up reviews and those owned

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    From what I am hearing is that lost world is basically those games.

xet8c.gif
This discussion has been closed.