As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Frank's Concept Colosseum

15678911»

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    OK! Finished this one, I'm fairly happy with how it came out.

VurgjcB.png

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Buddy your improvement over the last few months has been great. You should stay on top of those studies because clearly they are really starting to help the crits sink in.

edited September 2013
    Thanks, Iruka! :)
    I agree, I really need to stay on top of studies to absorb as much as I can.

Update on a sketch from previous page:

dwnTLpV.png

This is a background for a mobile game and a character will be shown, from the knees up, in the middle of painting.

F87 on
  • Why is the perspective on the glass design different from the perspective on the hallway?

Damnit. You're right. I can't unsee it now. I wish I hadn't merged all the layers! D:

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If you change the floor up, you can probably swing it as a slight corner/angle in the corridor.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    IMO I think that if you're going to use a textured brush, try to use texture in other areas of your painting as well. The picture at the top of this page is cool, but my eye keeps going to the trees because they have this super-dense, super detailed texture overlay, and nothing else has that. It seems you were trying to quickly add in bark texture, but I think it would've been perfectly fine without that addition.

Overall though yeah, your improvements lately have been huge. Keep it up yoooooo

That's a great point, ND. I see what you're saying and will avoid that from now on.

tynic - I may just try that :P

• buffylovebuffylove Registered User regular
    Great pic at the top, but I think having the bright spots between the soldiers separates them and makes them less menacing. It does help to focus on the central soldier, but then the guys on the side become a distraction. If you were at a lower angle they would be lower in the frame and you'd get a stronger triangle effect with them. --Paul

New story -- DUMP SITE
    banner___book_with_title_close_up_resized_by_paul_a_newman-d6mcq5v.jpg
    edited September 2013
    Thanks Paul! Composition isn't my strong point for sure, I appreciate the advice.

Here is an early background for a commission. I'm concerned it has perspective problems but I'll try to fix it up more tomorrow.

QBtOhUU.png

F87 on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Looking cool! I'm happy to see so many hard edges rather than soft :) Really helps the definition.

As for your values, you could probably make the light parts much, much darker. It may seem like the way to make something look bright is to "make everything bright!" ...but then you don't get any contrast to show you how bright the light is compared to shadow. :P

I would suggest trying to nail down the foreground, midground, and background...and define these with clear edges in your values. I made a handful of things darker and lighter based on what I was imagining pieces of this drawing represented - but take with a grain of salt based on what you were thinking with it.

Frank_Values.jpg

Mainly, I think you should really consider what sides of objects will be lit, and which sides would be silhouetted against the bright background. I made the distant buildings darker (especially towards the tops) but left them slightly lighter than the foreground elements, to hint at atmospheric perspective. This was quick + dirty so the values may not be entirely accurate (you could probably lighten those buildings a bit), but I felt like getting those strong silhouettes in the back would really help the composition and impact of the piece, as well as sell the idea of the light being very bright.

You may want to check out photographs of cities in sunset - the silhouette effect is pretty strong there. Also, throw the photo's into Photoshop and greyscale 'em, and see just how much midtone value there is. :) Typically there's a large range of midtone, and a smaller amount of super-bright values and near-blacks (try not to use straight black when possible).

NightDragon on
    edited September 2013
    Thanks, @Nightdragon!

I tried to apply your feedback, but truth be told I don't think I pulled it off. I would like to look at some reference and figure this lighting out, but I had to send this in already. For future studies though, I will focus on that.

I really appreciate the critique!

XzKyJXp.png

Here is an update on the one above, still wonky perspective wise, but I had to move on.

LMsqVSX.png

Also, the final background for this project!

ODfIrNn.png
    I like shiny floors.

F87 on
  • SpaceMooseSpaceMoose Registered User regular
    In that last picture The angle of the walls coming off that window in the middle throw me off. Are they supposed to be going up at an angle or parallel to the floor? I feel like it's going up at an angle but my eye keeps thinking its supposed to be parallel.

They are supposed to be angled windows, but I guess it isn't reading well?

Well it is clear that it's an angle but maybe it just feels out of place composition wise? I don't have the best eye for this stuff so consider it a layman's opinion. ;)

edited October 2013
    Ah! That's a great point. Most of the image is straight except those angled windows. It probably draws too much attention. Thanks for the feedback!

F87 on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It reads ok to me. Height of the horizon line is a little odd - not wrong, just an interesting choice. Because it's not at traditional eye level, I keep expecting there to be something to draw my eye on the horizon level, or a reason for being there, but there's just the light bloom (which is initially attention grabbing but then your gaze wanders off to the right) and the rubbish bin (which is a little too offset and tucked away to really be prominent).

edited October 2013
    Thanks for the feedback!

I did a vector fire truck commission recently:

mEjHIL2.png

And a random sketch, haven't much time lately for personal stuff.

qQUkeYp.png

Hopefully I can finish up my current gig soon and get back to working on my portfolio.

F87 on
    edited October 2013
    Hey guys, recently built my new PC and I'm up and running again! Time to kick into high gear!

Here are some thumbnails I did today:

SHiyeuX.jpg

g0OwHvD.jpg

F87 on
  • SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    nothing will impress me more than how hard you work and how you take every criticism so seriously and try to work on it. you will go far if you keep this up, it is inevitable.

Thank you, @SeveredHead . That's really encouraging! I really do think criticism is very important, I need to start leaving more feedback for others here. You guys have helped me a ton!

Here is an update on the ship, It looks really boxy and stiff, but I plan on really playing with the forms and details as I start painting on it.

4AGxG3J.png

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    I enjoy the boxy look. I think it looks "meaner" like it's built for toughness, and not for style.

Thanks, Zerg.

I'm still working on the ship, but I also did the first part of a weapon set for a commission:

9tyBW55.png

I know they aren't the most realistic guns by any means, that's something I need to keep in mind more.

• kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    Frank, are all these guns done as value first, with color laid in over it later? The highlights are quite strong on all of them, and when I squint my eyes I get more contrast than colour, if that makes any sense. I'm not a design guy so I won't comment on the actual guns, but I'd consider reducing the contrast on some of these and going in with an opaque colour layer, if only to see if it makes a difference.

edited December 2013
    That's great advice, I will try it out with the next few. I definitely see what you mean.

I've been out of practice for a while now!

Here is a space dude/stem pusher kinda character guy! I'm rusty but it feels great to be painting again, so I'm just taking my time with this guy for now.

H6jjNFt.png

F87 on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    What have you been up to? Nice to see you drawing again. The dudes hands look a little small, but I like it.

I'm going to try and get some Enrichment threads going next year and kick my ass back into some master studies. You should join me!

I've been so sore from my surgery recently, but I'm feeling a lot better now.

Master studies sound great to me! And thanks for the crit, I updated it above.

edited February 2014
    I've been dealing with a lot of insurance troubles and I've found out I will have to do 2 cycles of chemotherapy. Huge bummer! But after it's over, I will be good to go.

In the meantime, I'm gearing up my new website and trying to finish this environment!

upnSWV8.png

I started it with an old morrowind screenshot, based on FZD's new video. I need to nail down the focus point and work out some perspective issues still...

F87 on
  • mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    Sorry to hear that things have been rough! The holiday season always seems to be ironically a time of problems for a lot of people (myself included)

Just some thoughts, I'm trying to figure out this stuff on my own at the moment too ^^;;

* I love the overall design, as well as the atmospheric perspective on the tower(?) as well as the background.
    * Looks like you may need to add some more contrast to the character. I totally missed him during my first pass over the piece.
    * I'm not entirely sure, but it seems like there may be too much emphasis on the pillar in the foreground too? It's got one of the brightest spots combined with all those dark shadows, maybe if you put that kind of contrast on the figure and the pillar next to it?

Anyways, I'm by no means an expert. Just a couple of things I noticed.

Looking like a good start here. I'd agree with what @mageormike said. Took me several looks until I notice the guy hiding next to one of the columns. Would be nice if he/she were somehow more obvious.

Great seeing you post. Had been wondering how you were doing.

edited February 2014
    Thanks guys :D

I'm actually almost done with my new site! Lots of help from @SpaceMoose ! I was hoping to get some feedback on how it looks before I launch it?

I uploaded it to a test folder for now: http://www.f.oceansend.com/sitetest

Main think I don't like right now is the font for my name. I need to find a better one.

F87 on
  • Website looks nice and clean. But on the resume, I might suggest adding a client/project list (or a partial one if there's too many/ you want to be selective), if you can- otherwise your level of actual professional experience working with companies ( vs 'hey my uncle paid me $10 to draw a thing 8 years ago so....') is left in question. If you've got a shipped game title (reading between the lines, you might have worked on a Unity 3d mobile title?) that's a huge plus if you want to get hired on somewhere. List it and show the work with the game logo slapped on there.

I also might suggest replacing "Contract work through telecommunication" with "Remote contract work", which is more to the point and makes it come across less like you're trying to impress people by pretending your ability to use a phone is some kind of futuristic sci-fi magic.

Also: "I'm an ambitious, self-taught concept artist and illustrator", or "I'm an ambitious and self-taught concept artist and illustrator", NOT, "I'm an ambitious self-taught, concept artist and illustrator".

edited February 2014
    Thank you, Bacon! I've actually never worked on a shipped title. It's all contract work through conceptart.org and similar places. There are a few I had that where "companies", which is something I could expand on.

And you are spot on about how silly some of that contact page sounds, I will fix that up. Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Edit: I changed it up but I'm just not sure about my experience section. Those are my last two serious commissions but there isn't much to say about them.

And I launched the site: http://www.f.oceansend.com :D

F87 on
    Nice work! The site looks great. Glad I could be of help to answer a few questions.