As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pokémon: The Cutest...uh...Veteran's Day

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited November 2013 in Social Entropy++
dQm0OQE.png

Welcome to the Pokemon Thread! Generation VI has formally started with the release of Pokemon X and Y for the Nintendo 3DS.

Let this OP serve as a helpful aid for new players and as a resource for veterans.

H6gu1Pg.png
1. Announcements & Events
2. What's New in Gen VI
3. How to Make a Competitive Team (by Speed Racer)
4. FAQ
5. Friend Codes

ziqJMjA.png

This is for stuff going on in the pokemon world and little things people on this forum put together.

Patch 1.1: Visit the eShop to download this critical patch! It fixes the nasty Lumiose City save glitch, and also fixes a GTS thing.
Torchic : Until January, you can go online and get a free Torchic that is holding the Mega Stone necessary for Blaziken's mega evolution. Just head into the game and hit up Mystery Gift.
Pokemon Bank: This is due to launch December 25th, and will include a free trial. Transferring from Gen V is through this app, so mark your calendars.

ma20xrK.png

yESh4l9.jpg
Let's get right into the meat of this: the new generation. While Gen Five played things a bit more conservatively, Six is really mixing things up. Here's the blow-by-blow, and if you've missed a few generations since you last pokemon game, then just scroll past this and catch up on older changes first.
  • Full 3D Graphics: Yowza! The first pokemon to abandoned its cherish sprite tradition and go for fancy polygons and whatnot. No doubt the game will look pretty awesome with the 3D cranked up.
  • New Region: Kalos, a region based on France.
  • Enhanced Online: The bottom screen now serves as a hub for multiplayer. You can easily trade/battle with friends or strangers, and even help someone out in single-player battles via O-Powers. If you're feeling bold, you can try Wonder Trade, letting you send away a pokemon and get something totally random from someone else in the world.
  • New Type, Fairy: Designed to rein in dragons a bit, Fairy is so far super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting types. It is not very effective against Fire, Poison, and Steel. Fairy is weak to Poison and Steel while resisting Fighting, Bug, and Dark. They are immune to Dragon moves.
  • Other balance changes: Steel loses resistance to both Ghost and Dark, Ghosts are immune to switch-prevention effects like Shadow Tag, Electrics are completely immune to paralysis, and so forth.
  • Mega Evolutions: Certain pokemon can evolve even further. In reality this is more like different forms than legitimate evolutions, as they revert to their original species after the battle ends. Mega evolution requires a specific held item, and you have an option to active the mega evolution while in a battle. What happens depends on the pokemon. Some get new abilities, other get different stats, and some like Mega Ampharos even get a new type. Mega Pokemon are designed to be on par with legendaries (though it's worth noting that some legendaries wind up in Tiers well below Ubers) and you can have only one Mega Pokemon on your team.
  • Horde Encounters: Sometimes you fight a whole swarm of wild pokemon at once, typically pokemon you'd expect to operate in a herd mentality (a herd of Tauros and Miltank is the obvious example). Obviously this is be a bit more challenging since you pokemon has to endure several attacks at once.
  • You can ride pokemon, which I guess replaces the bike? No idea if this is limited to specific pokemon yet.
  • There will be an app called Pokemon Bank, which allows you to store pokemon on Nintendo's servers. It is the largest pokemon storage yet, allowing for 3,000 pokemon to be stored. The catch is that it's a paid service with an annual fee of five bucks, but there will be a month-long free demo when it launches.
  • HATS AND CLOTHES. You can buy different outfits for your player character. This is also the first Pokemon game to feature different skin color option for your character.
c6RnDZP.png?1
  • Sky Battles: These are optional battles that, at least so far, are like normal battles except only certain pokemon can participate. In a nutshell, if the pokemon's battle model is floating/flying in the air, it can Sky Battle. Yes, this means a Farfetch'd cannot do a Sky Battle. Yes, this is incredibly silly.
  • Pokemon-Aime: Feed and play with your pokemon, which increases a new stat called "Affection." High affection gives you bonuses to XP gains, crit chance, evasion, and even perks like surviving a lethal hit or recovering from status effects.
  • Super Training: Finally, at long last, proper EV training, complete with ways to track your progress for a particular pokemon. Play minigames to boost those values.
  • MORE POKEMANS: around 70 new critters, not counting the 20 or so known mega evolutions.

kKHGutn.png

User @Speed Racer put a lot of time and effort into make a guide for competitive play. It is quite long, so long that I had to make a Google Doc to contain it all!

However, it is well worth reading if you wish to dip your toes into the wild world of pokemon battling against other human beings! While eventually online simulators will update for fast and easy Gen VI fighting, there is something warm and fuzzy about taking the time to breed and train team from scratch. I know simulators takes a lot of the bullshit out of it, and that's all well and good, but give the "true" experience a spin. It can actually be pretty engrossing if you really get into. Eventually you'll be eagerly anticipating the third "special edition" of the game just because a move tutor gives your favorite pokemon one awesome move. You might reflect on how this happened, but you'll probably be too busy breeding new gimmick teams to care.

hMu04nP.jpg?1

svBCdvo.png

I beat the Elite Four. What now?

Depends on what you want to do. First off, go to Lumiose Station and get your ticket from Sycamore. This will take you to a new post-game city that features the Battle Maison, Friend Safari, and some other TMs from the store. You can then work on your Pokedex and catch as many pokemon as possible, or you can start building a team for fighting. Oh, and buy FABULOUS HATS, I guess.

You can also go catch legendary pokemon. Zygarde is in Terminus cave, and Mewto is in the Unknown Cave (near Pokemon Village). One of the three legendary birds will appear in the wild based on your starter (Chespin/Articuno Froakie/Moltres, Fennekin/Zapdos), but it works different than other legendaries. While they roam in tall grass in a random route, they run away REALLY quickly and the best way to catch one is to encounter it ten times. At this point it will show up in the Spirit Den and will not run away. The other two birds ya gotta trade for (or wait until the Bank is out and transfer 'em).

What should I do for competitive battling?

Read Speed Racer's guide, as it breaks down things nicely.

As for where to start, getting a Battle Maison team is the best bet. This will get you BP which will buy all sorts of useful shit. Your first item should either Power items (useful for EV training if you wanna do it the old way) or something like a Life Orb (which is useful for many pokemon). Keep in mind that a Battle Maison team is different from a competitive multiplayer team. The Battle Maison is a shithold where anything goes: none of the clauses and rules established for competitive multiplayer exists in the Battle Maison. Expect pokemon with evasion up the asshole, and to have your winning streak ended by a one-hit KO move. You'll do much better in the Maison when building your team so long as you remember that it's a place where honor dare not tread, and only the scummiest gang of rogues can survive.

VXpBENM.png?2

Can you please explain breeding in a huge fuck-off image?

Can do!

Holy shit.

I know, right?

How does Pokemon-Aime work?

You have Affection, Fullness, and Enjoyment. Affection is the thing you're aiming for, as it gives that pokemon boosts to XP gains, crit chance, evasion, and even a chance to gain a focus sash effect at high enough affection. Affection is gained via hearts, which are gained by petting (2-3 hearts), pokepuffs, and random shit like looking at the camera the way your pokemon wants (don't bother, it's a random occurrence and the camera is finicky). The easiest way to gain affection is to play games at the highest difficult to earn pokepuffs. Just do this until the pokemon's enjoyment is maxed, and proceed to stuff the thing full of pokepuffs. Once it's fullness is maxed, you switch to back to games. That's the cycle in a nutshell. The most efficient way to earn puffs is playing the Hard difficulty of whichever game you're best at. In my experience, unlimited has a poor time-to-puffs ratio, even if you're good.

Is Affection the same as happiness?

While the two might be linked, Happiness and Affection are two separate things. Which is...kinda weird, but don't think about it too much.

How do EVs work? IVs?

Speed's competitive guide covers this. The main advice I have is to put 252 in two stats (typically Attack or Special Attack and then Speed; defenses if they're walls) and then 4 points in uh...whatever.

Honestly I would not worry about IVs if you're new to this. Maybe ensure that key stats aren't awful (again, typically attack stats and speed).

What the fuck does this term mean?

Lingo for pokemon

Bulky: A pokemon with higher-than-average defensive stats. This can be a relative term; eg Alakazam wouldn't be considered bulky, but maybe you trained an Alakazam with high defensive stats.
Entry Hazard: Effects that fuck with pokemon when they switch in. Stealth Rock is the biggest one, but (Toxic) Spikes and Sticky Web are others. These are removed by Rapid Spin (clears your side) or Defog (clears both sides).
HM Slave/Mule: A pokemon that can learn multiple HMs, making them useful for getting around the world. Not used to fight much, although they can be useful as they tend to be Water or Normal types and thus get STAB on the better HM moves (Strength and Surf/Waterfall)
Parafusion: Confusing and paralyzing a pokemon, leaving them with a very small chance of attacking. Typically forces a switch.
Pseudohaze: Haze is a move that resets stats, effectively clearing buffs and debuffs applied to pokemon. Moves that force a pokemon to switch, like Roar or Whirlwind is called a "pseudohaze" because it effectively does the same thing, as buffs and debuffs clear on switching out.
Spinblocker: A pokemon that prevent Rapid Spin from being used. Always a ghost-type, typically defensively-oriented.
STAB: Same Type Attack Bonus. A pokemon that uses a move that shares type with that pokemon will have its base power increased by 50%.
Suicide Lead: A member of team that goes out first and isn't expected to do much more than set up entry hazards or disrupt/scout the enemy team. Typically fast or possess an ability like Prankster.
Sweeper: A pokemon that, when properly set up, will mow down the enemy team without breaking a sweat. In other words, it "sweeps" your team like a broom.
Wall: Basically the opposite of a sweeper. A tough pokemon with a combination of defensive typing, stats, and moveset that make it hard to KO.

RjLmy4u.jpg?2

Super Training is confusing! How do I do it?

You can Super Train in two ways: punching bags and training events. Events come in four difficulties for each of the six stats, with the fourth event being unlocked when a pokemon completes its training. Harder events award more EVs, but they can be difficult or even impossible for untrained pokemon. As a pokemon gains EVs, they get better at events, so the quickest (but expensive) route is to pump a pokemon full of vitamins and then jump into the harder events. The fourth difficulty tier of events does not award EVs (because the pokemon has maxed EVs), but has a chance at giving you an item (includes evolutionary stones). All events can award punching bags.

The second way is punching bag, which is a quick boost to stats that is also semi-automated. There are three bag sizes that will provide EVs for a stat (small = 1 EV, medium = 4, large =12), and you tap them to get the Pokemon to bop it. After a number of taps (not many, even a large bag takes under 20 seconds), the pokemon will destroy the bag with a finishing move and gain the benefits of the bag. The pokemon, if left unaided by the player, will slowly hit the bag on its own. If it accumulates enough hits, an exclamation mark will appear above its head, meaning the pokemon is one tap away from finishing off the punching bag. There are also other punching bags with different effects, mostly ones that enhance your pokemon's ability to do events. These tend to be fairly useless with the exception of the x2 multipler to EVs you get from the event. There's also a white bag that will wipe a pokemon's EVs entirely. Useful!

You can get punching bags from events (as I said earlier) and from pokemon. When a pokemon has a happy face while training on the default generic punching bag, you can tap to find more bags (a pokemon can also find bags on its own, but it takes longer). After a duration, some pokemon will fall on their side, and they won't train. One tap will right them, and they'll be in a happy state. Hooray!

Where is Rock Smash?

Ambrette Town, outside near the aquarium.

What HMs do I need to beat the game?

From what I remember: surf, strength, and cut. You also might want a pokemon with fly, obviously.

However, Rock Smash will get you a lot of TMs that can prove useful. Ditto with Waterfall (which is a good move in its own right anyhow)

LUMIOSE CITY IS THE FUCKING DEVIL.

This isn't a question, but I feel ya. Poke Paris is pretty goddamn shitty, especially for the major city of a pokemon game. Try this map.

What are some useful websites?

Note: Due to the difficulty in hacking X/Y AND a worldwide release, non-Japanese players have never gone into a generation so blindly. Information is spotty and still in-progress, but it's getting there.

Global Link Site: A fancy Nintendo site that has a load of features if you sync your game with it (press the gray button at the top of the PSS screen).
Bulpedia: Basically the biggest load of ANY kind of pokemon information on the internet.
Serebii.net: I don't really like the Serebii guy, but it's a good source of information and is another alternate pokedex should others be down.
Smogon: The site for competitive multiplayer. Has tier listings as well as decent articles and information on how to begin assembling a team. Also has individual critques of each pokemon's competitive capabilities, complete with some suggested movelists.
Pokemon Showdown: A very popular battle simulator complete with features like replays. It actually has a really nice, clean pokedex if you need one. Not updated for Gen VI yet.

iaOAJk2.png

If you wish to be added, please PM or @ me in the thread.

Bold is a Friend Safari with dittos!

81uPES3.jpg?1

Aeyther: 2406-5131-9006
Anzekay: 1633-4204-6456
Anialos: 0103-9568-0853
Arch: 4742-5997-1992
Artreus: 1590-4692-3954
Asharaxx: 5413-0219-8736
Beasteh: 0087-3748-0294
Bendery Like Beckham: 0275-8140-6235
Big Red Tie: 3926-4292-8829
Blackbeard7: 3480-2868-5899
Bluedude152: 2595-0531-2979
casby: 0061-0863-4958
Ceno: 4871-3718-5715
CorporateRed: 0748-2197-9722
The Cow King: 1907-9225-2803
CowShark: 4398-9974-9558
Crimson King: 4742-6001-2106
drp527: 0216-0910-3881
DJ Antwan: 1392-5219-3149
Emerlmaster999: 0344-9387-2002
Goose!: 4940-5859-6219
Gofflesby: 0216-0851-9288
fightinfilipino: 4227-1731-4009
Halos Nach Tariff: 1161-0285-3351
Heatwave: 4227-1965-3206
Huntera: 2981-5737-5781
HyperBallad: 0361- 7385-2366
I need a name to post: 2793-1554-7378
Isoldae: 3282-3093-3348
jgeis: 2320-6460-9072
Jimothy: 3668-8012-6724
King Riptor: 3024-6018-5401
Klendy: 3110-4958-3089
Kor: 3050-7671-2707
Kwoaru: 3496-9713-7513

9LDHWH9.jpg?1

Lasbrook: 0920-0540-0190
Marathon: 4184-2563-8329
Man of the Waves: 3394-3880-2299
Melding: 5386-8415-3207
MetroidZoid: 4699-5714-8940
Mint: 5257-9297-9238
Neutered: 4682-9858-8261
Nirya: 2981-5304-3227
PaperLuigi44: 4553-9983-6412
PassionateLovie: 2036-7272-6243
Penumbra: 5386-8399-1472
Psykoma: 1461-6396-6955
RawrBear: 2148-8158-1885
Reigner: 0645-5757-1012
RMED: 1607-2700-0798
Rorus Raz: 3995-6854-1079
Satanic Jesus: 0533-5338-5186
SCREECH OF THE FARG: 2707-3022-4350
Shen: 2234-8122-8398
Shill: 5172-0553-2537
Shorty: 0490-5638-2130
Silver: 0619-4325-9419
SingleCell: 1091-8702-0118
Skullo: 1204-0136-4730
SLyM: 4656-6257-5543
Speed Racer: 3668-8081-7919
Spoit: 0344-9296-6644
Stilts: 3282-1752-8749
-Tal: 4613-6287-6328
Treagy: 3050-7564-8415
Turambar: 3411-1109-4537
turtleant: 1005-9780-7144
Vann Diras: 3282-2877-8438
Virgil_Leads_You: 4012-4146-9468
Wyborn: 2406-5129-4317
Yukira: 4854-6566-1045

I am aware this list is becoming unwieldy. A spreadsheet is in the works.

daPsRVA.jpg

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Hmm, Team Flare is not the ideal foes to have Lampent fight.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    battle vid y'all

4J6W-WWWW-WWWX-Q98D

mega kangaskhan pulled the win out of her ass

also: showcasing why I need timid gengar

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I finally got the VS Recorder, so I will check it out Beasteh.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    this lady refuses to give me trick room

i'm trying to time travel to get her to give me the quiz but its not working

beasteh can you teach my reuniclus trick room

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    ive already forgotten grass guy

I mainly remember him because I saw him again at the Battle Chateau.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    @Blackbeard7 I'm on GMT+1 so... 7 hours ahead of you? Or thereabouts.

Could someone help me evolve my Scyther and Haunter please?

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    this lady refuses to give me trick room

i'm trying to time travel to get her to give me the quiz but its not working

beasteh can you teach my reuniclus trick room

yeah I have the tm

Also, I had to see a Sableye sucking dick to make this OP.

You're welcome.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    thx beasteh yr the best

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    christ that would be a toothy blowjob

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Wow, Pangoro has so much HP.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    pangoro is civilization

that japanese guys team was 100% assholes

banded crobat, probably had brave bird and sleep talk as its only moves

eviolite togetic

and jolly megacham, which one shots dragonite with hjk

Shen wrote: »
    @Blackbeard7 I'm on GMT+1 so... 7 hours ahead of you? Or thereabouts.

Could someone help me evolve my Scyther and Haunter please?

I cann

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    That is a very tempting Dnite, hm...
    <3

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    if anyone has a timid, perfect speed ditto and wouldn't mind loaning it that would be grand

or you know just ditto safari

faced my first thunder wave/swagger/substitute/foul play klefki in a ranked match earlier

the first of many

fuck you, gamefreak

edited October 2013
    I'm currently 10-0 on ranked wifi singles with mega kangaskhan though

tempted to rename her 'wrath of khan'

Beasteh on
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I added all these FC numbers back when I thought I was also on the list.

I was wondering why I was so unpopular.
    @Aeyther: 2406-5131-9006
    @Artreus: 1590-4692-3954
    @Bendery Like Beckham: 0275-8140-6235
    @Big Red Tie: 3926-4292-8829
    @Blackbeard7: 3480-2868-5899
    @Bluedude152: 2595-0531-2979
    @casby: 0061-0863-4958
    @Ceno: 4871-3718-5715
    @The Cow King: 1907-9225-2803
    @Crimson King: 4742-6001-2106
    @DJ Antwan: 1392-5219-3149
    @Emerlmaster999: 0344-9387-2002
    @fightinfilipino: 4227-1731-4009
    @Heatwave: 4227-1965-3206
    @Huntera: 2981-5737-5781
    @I need a name to post: 2793-1554-7378
    @Isoldae: 3282-3093-3348
    @jgeis: 2320-6460-9072
    @Jimothy: 3668-8012-6724
    @Kor: 3050-7671-2707
    @Kwoaru: 3496-9713-7513
    @Lasbrook: 0920-0540-0190
    @Nirya: 2981-5304-3227
    @PaperLuigi44: 4553-9983-6412
    @Psykoma: 1461-6396-6955
    @RMED: 1607-2700-0798
    @Rorus Raz: 3995-6854-1079
    @Satanic Jesus: 0533-5338-5186
    @SCREECH OF THE FARG: 2707-3022-4350
    @Shen: 2234-8122-8398
    @Shill: 5172-0553-2537
    @Shorty: 0490-5638-2130
    @Silver: 0619-4325-9419
    @Speed Racer: 3668-8081-7919
    @Wyborn: 2406-5129-4317

Now I won't have to wonder how unpopular I am!

edited October 2013
    Caught Xerneas (with a Quick Ball, of course), what I find hilarious is that after that
    Aside from battling on the sun, you can still have your picture taken at Geosenge.

"Here I am at the wreckage of an ancient super-weapon LOL"

PaperLuigi44 on
    Snorlax is a pretty good HM mule

I still need something with sleep moves that can learn false swipe

YL9WnCY.png
    breed ralts with haunter to get a mean look hypnosis and false swipe gallade

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    so how do we get hold of this ditto friend safari

i've got @Bendery Like Beckham but he appears to be ghost type

posting again because ive been looping it for 6 hours

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlxaWFDCDUE

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    With some parental leveling, you can get a Gallade with Hypnosis and then teach it False Swipe. I normally just run around with Quagsire in the lead with Yawn and then switch to something that has False Swipe before Yawn takes effect.

• ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    so how do we get hold of this ditto friend safari

i've got @Bendery Like Beckham but he appears to be ghost type

I'd also be interested in this.

Also if someone adds me, let me know, I'd added everyone from the last OP and hadn't kept up since then so I'm not sure who I may be missing.

Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
    just had an... interesting match with a japanese player on ranked wifi

his blaziken had a focus sash, protect and will-o-wisp

so i had to play mind games with my limited sucker punch pp to take him out while he tried to stall for burns/finish me with hi jump kick

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Is there any hope at all for online battles if I want to just roll with Pokemon I like? I'm all for EV training and breeding perfect natures and IVs but I have zero interest in running "good" Pokemon that aren't totally adorbz.

• cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    I think I finally added everybody - I wasn't getting notifications because it's cabsy, not casby, haha

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Walt wrote: »
    Is there any hope at all for online battles if I want to just roll with Pokemon I like? I'm all for EV training and breeding perfect natures and IVs but I have zero interest in running "good" Pokemon that aren't totally adorbz.

It depends on what Pokemon you like happen to be, I imagine.

Unfortunately some Pokemon just have total poop from a butt stats, and crappy move pools. And Pokemon like that will weigh your team down.

But, if your EV and IV train your Pokemon and actually have a strategy for your whole team etc, I imagine you could beat plenty of random people online, though I am sure you will, from time to time, run into fully optimize teams that will tear you apart.

Not everyone you run into online playing X/Y is going to be going fully optimized though, I would think. Especially not this early on.

no

no

What if my current favorites are Blaziken, Kangaskhan, Xerneas, Hawlucha, Gardevoir, and Pangoro?

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    You will be fine, a lot of us are doing the same thing

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    edited October 2013
    you can't use xerneas in ranked online

blaziken is disgustingly overpowered

kangaskhan has an overpowered mega

hawlucha is moderately useful

gardevoir has a good mega and typing

pangoro is fun but it has bad abilities and a barren movepool

Beasteh on
    I also like Gengar, Wigglytuff, Lucario, and Aegislash.

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    pangoro is fun but it has bad abilities and a barren movepool

what makes it fun then

is it especially neat looking/sounding

parting shot is a very powerful move for setup sweepers

I also like Gengar, Wigglytuff, Lucario, and Aegislash.

yes no yes yes

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Pangoro is fun because he is a panda gangster that you get by corrupting an adorable panda youth.

oh my god hyper beam makes the gen 1 sound

grinning so hard my face is going to split

This discussion has been closed.