As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NaNoWriMo is over, but the writing don't stop

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Finished the second draft. Ended up around 130k words. Now to edit this 14.5k word chapter down to a reasonable size for submission to a competition...

• Options
    Also I'm going to be the cheerleader this year yelling at all you people to buckle up and write.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Last year, I finally decided I was going to do this because I needed to start writing again. So I signed up. And wrote 0 words. This year, my humble goal is just to get 1000 words. Once I get started, I know I'll get somewhere (probably the full 5000), but I can't manage to even think of a starting point. I guess I have 13 days to come up with something, eh? haha

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    What is your book about @Oghulk?

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    As I do in every writing thread in SE++ I'm going to remind everybody that the Writing Block IRC room exists. I just go to it through mibbit.com or you can use whatever downloaded program you want that does IRC stuff.

The server they need to connect to is: irc.slashnet.org
    Then join the room: #thewritersblock

We don't always talk about writing, but if people ask questions we usually provide responses and in November we are pretty good about organizing writing sprints and actually talking about writing.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I think I have my ... tale. I'm not confident enough to name it a 'novel', yet. But I think I have a situation, and some characters, that I can muddy through finding something to say for a good while.

I'm going sci-fi; at least I'm on familiar ground there. I guess it would be considered perhaps close to Firefly, although I'd hesitate to call that the inspiration. I feel more "space age-of-sail" than "space western", with a streak of influences I intend to garnish over the top. Hopefully I can just keep rotating between attempting to channel Raymond Chandler, Philip K. Dick, and Robert Louis Stevenson* for long enough to carry me to the end. I just wanted something pulpy and throwaway where at any moment I can drop in Chandler's law to keep me moving towards the end.

I'm trepidatious, but itching to begin. What do I do now? What preperation haven't I done? It's all a mystery to me; I suspect I'll be tripping over myself for all the prep I haven't done once I'm underway.

I guess I should actually sign up at the offial website or whatever; you know, I didn't even know that there was a blog or sign up at all before this thread. I just thought people went out and did it. So much to discover!

*:Probably quite badly

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I need to work out my plot. I keep getting wrapped up in worldbuilding.

Just spent the last hour or so working out the exact dates and notable events in some wars between countries that don't even exist any more when my story takes place.

Also @Fishman that story idea sounds fantastic and I hope I get to read it some day

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    smof wrote: »
    What is your book about @Oghulk?

A professor walking around his campus, waiting for an event to start in which he meets an old lover, looks back on what he considers to be the most important semester of his college career, where he determined his lifelong dream and desire.

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    My story is about a theme park where rich people go to hunt poor people. Rich folks have modern weaponry and poor people have to make do with what they have. The object isn't really to kill everyone but to take over their keep, but not everyone is merciful. A third element is introduced and attacks both sides, and if they win they'll go beyond the walls of the theme park and attack everyone.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    I don't know what my story's about yet. I have 5 characters I know I want to feature, but I haven't worked out what connects them all.

That's probably a dumb way to try and plan a book but oh well.

Got an assassin out for revenge, a monster hunter with a vendetta plotting revolution, a scholar and retired soldier investigating legends for the army, a shaman who's either on a mission for the gods or insane, and a political adviser engaged in conspiracy.

It's... probably not going to make much sense.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I'll be doing this this year, as part of a race with a friend of mine

We're not writing novels, though. We'll be writing short stories, and just belting them out until we hit the goal. Or past that, even.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I don't know what my story's about yet. I have 5 characters I know I want to feature, but I haven't worked out what connects them all.

Got an assassin out for revenge, a monster hunter with a vendetta plotting revolution, a scholar and retired soldier investigating legends for the army, a shaman who's either on a mission for the gods or insane, and a political adviser engaged in conspiracy.

Well, you could play it a few different ways. Did you want to bounce ideas around?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Ah the joys of editing in greater detail without fully rewriting.

The page by page turn over is slower, but so much more rewarding to go back and read through.

• Options
    So I think have my idea: a noir-style mystery in a middle-school. That could work, right?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    So I think have my idea: a noir-style mystery in a middle-school. That could work, right?

High school worked for Brick
    middle school... I feel like there's only so much you could believably do with that

I'd like to read it though!

• Options
    Fishman wrote: »

Well, you could play it a few different ways. Did you want to bounce ideas around?

It's mainly the shaman and the soldier, I know I want them in there because I think they'd be fun characters to write, but I haven't figured out yet how to give them plots that tie in with the other three.

I'll probably just end up using some magical macguffin, I'd rather not but it makes things easier.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

It's mainly the shaman and the soldier, I know I want them in there because I think they'd be fun characters to write, but I haven't figured out yet how to give them plots that tie in with the other three.

I'll probably just end up using some magical macguffin, I'd rather not but it makes things easier.

ahem

scholar and retired soldier are investigating [insert legend] and stumble upon a mythical beast that only appears every X centuries and inadvertently cause it to flee, screwing up the monster hunter's hunt, creating the hunter's vendetta. Because the beast flees without landing at a temple like it's supposed to or something, it is a portent of a grander, more ominous legend that threatens existence, which the shaman tells them about when he seeks them out and starts ranting and raving that he has to help them fulfill this legend in a way that's beneficial to the land, as his god demands. This Ominous Legend becomes known to the magical and political elite within the capital city, and a group of conspirators feel it is the opportunity/necessary to depose the Queen (maybe the legend hinges on some prophecy about who's ruling or revolution) and induct the queen's political adviser (who is the brother of the scholar) into their schemes, but through his covert machinations triggers the suspicion of those loyal to the queen who hire an assassin to off him, but the assassin actually wants revenge on the queen's family because the assassin is a long-overthrown royal family's heir and also the the monster hunter IS the queen, btw, she just goes plainclothes padme-style when she's hunting BOOM connected

basically just think really hard about the movie Crash and you, too, can black out and write a plot synopsis like that one

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »

High school worked for Brick
    middle school... I feel like there's only so much you could believably do with that

I'd like to read it though!

Brick is amazing. Funnily not what inspired me, though.

I'm thinking of a middle-grade fiction level/length, so that might help with the limited application/believability. Here goes nothing!

Goal this weekend: get a rough outline going.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    current concept, working on an outline:

They missed Vinland. How they wound up in India, nobody knows, but this band of vikings was Valhalla-bound no longer. Cast aside by their gods of lightning and frost, they followed their new buddhist teachings and found themselves incarnated forever.

Well, until 1982, when the youngest of their band found that his compatriots were being snuffed out, permanently. Emerging from a throng of groupies and a cloud of smoke, the drummer for hit metal group Hammerblow must face literal demons from his past, with his eternal fate at stake. And maybe the fate of the world.

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I wanted to hope you failed Hullis because of your avatar, but goddamnit that sounds amazing.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Hullis has convinced me to try doing this.

Because I really should be writing more anyway.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I'm going to do this for the first time ever this year because I can't make myself write any of the ideas I've come up with so I'm going to try 50,000 words of something new

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I think I found my novel idea, you guys.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    my story is going to cover the life of a girl that inexplicably has the power of flight

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    This will be the first year in the last 8 that I've been considering not doing this.

I've gotten past the 50k every single year that I've tried. All in the same universe that I've created and all with most of the same characters.

But this year I've got a full time job, going to the gym 3-4 times a week and I've really only got until the 21st to finish up.

last year I hit 50k by the 15th, but I was completely unemployed.

Can I do this?

Should I do this?

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    There is no harm in trying. The worst that happens is you write something you wouldn't have otherwise.

• Options

ahem

scholar and retired soldier are investigating [insert legend] and stumble upon a mythical beast that only appears every X centuries and inadvertently cause it to flee, screwing up the monster hunter's hunt, creating the hunter's vendetta. Because the beast flees without landing at a temple like it's supposed to or something, it is a portent of a grander, more ominous legend that threatens existence, which the shaman tells them about when he seeks them out and starts ranting and raving that he has to help them fulfill this legend in a way that's beneficial to the land, as his god demands. This Ominous Legend becomes known to the magical and political elite within the capital city, and a group of conspirators feel it is the opportunity/necessary to depose the Queen (maybe the legend hinges on some prophecy about who's ruling or revolution) and induct the queen's political adviser (who is the brother of the scholar) into their schemes, but through his covert machinations triggers the suspicion of those loyal to the queen who hire an assassin to off him, but the assassin actually wants revenge on the queen's family because the assassin is a long-overthrown royal family's heir and also the the monster hunter IS the queen, btw, she just goes plainclothes padme-style when she's hunting BOOM connected

basically just think really hard about the movie Crash and you, too, can black out and write a plot synopsis like that one

You're a wizard. This is... nothing like the story I was thinking about. But I may pillage it for ideas anyway.

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Every year I say I'm going to take part in this, as it starts around the same time my uni semester ends, give or take a week (that I then need to catch up on).

However, I'm always so burnt out from writing papers all semester that I get massive writers block and just play video games all November.

Maybe this time will be different?

Ehh who am I kidding.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I think I may try this for the first time.

I got ideas that need to be written.

Real shitty ideas...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I think I may try this for the first time.

I got ideas that need to be written.

Real shitty ideas...

Hey, The Dresden Files began with Butcher trying to push out the most cliched story he could, and accidentally stumbled onto something special.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Speaking of which, Jim Butcher's advice on how to get to the core of your story is super useful-- link via @Quoth, our resident crazy awesome ML: http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com/1308.html

have any of you thrown your hat into the proverbial ring for 30 Covers 30 Days? I did it just to challenge myself to actually write a plot synopsis for this thing and stuff.

http://nanowrimo.org/forum_comments/3425053

I'm feeling better about getting this thing out of my head and into words this time around. The first draft of this book was like... almost all world building, so I feel a bit more confident that I have an actual story this time out.

The thread is ridiculously huge now but I think it's still a good exercise.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

ahem

You're a wizard. This is... nothing like the story I was thinking about. But I may pillage it for ideas anyway.

Haha, I wouldn't think so. But maybe it can spark something!

I admit there's a bit of self-interest at work, too, seeing as I haven't been thinking enough about what I'm gonna do and need to get the juices juicing. I usually spend way too much time trying to perfect a story's premise, and if I'm gonna do nano it seems as good a time as any to try and get out of my head and just write some cool people doing stuff that makes coherent sense.

also I know that after reading Hullis' back-of-the-book blurb up there I'm not gonna like any of my premises nearly as much for a while

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    "When an RCMP bus convoy transporting superpowered criminals and new recruits across post-apocalytic Canada is attacked by monsters and stranded in the northern wilderness, a young recruit tries to stay alive, and protect his new comrades. But will he succeed with the monster still out there, the supercriminals still in custody, and winter fast approaching?"

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    A young girl's dog is hit by a car, and she walks into the underworld to get him back.

A woman returns to the house where she murdered her husband. His ghost is waiting for her.

A young wizard addicted to secrets travels north to find a terrible old woman who sits, unmoving, on a glacier.

May try to do all three of those

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    A young girl's dog is hit by a car, and she walks into the underworld to get him back.

A woman returns to the house where she murdered her husband. His ghost is waiting for her.

A young wizard addicted to secrets travels north to find a terrible old woman who sits, unmoving, on a glacier.

May try to do all three of those

I really want the girl-goes-to-underworld-for-dog book. Now. I want to read it now.

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »

I would read THE SHIT out of this

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I think I have the simple, basic framework for a story I'd like to write when this starts.

But I am more accustomed to non-fiction essays or research papers, and haven't written fiction in a really long time so...

SO HOPEFULLY EVERYTHING GOES WELL!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    In fact I'm a little angry that I'm not reading that dog story right now

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I wish I'd seen this thread sooner, I could have avoided taking up space in the Dear Abbymatter thread with my nonsense a few days ago.

I'm working on various short stories right now, mostly born out of a post from that thread.

Hopefully the NaNoWri month can help me focus and keep me on schedule. 50k words across multiple short stories is also acceptable even though it's not a novel, correct?

I haven't been able to really get past the plotting phase in longer than I care to admit, so I'm somewhat excited to actually have typed something and hope to be able to keep that excitement and continue it to completion.

Lars on
  • Options
    so far, my notes read: write a mystery?

I feel it is thematically appropriate that I know nothing more

f2ojmwh3geue.png