As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2014 BYOC Information & FAQ

taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room ManagerMinnesota?Registered User regular
edited April 2014 in PAX East
BYOC Twitter Feed: @BYOC_East

SUPER IMPORTANT EDIT FROM @Dreggor‌
Please note that the BCEC has a strict policy on weapons this year. Please do not bring any of the following with you into the center or it will be confiscated:

Knives
Leathermen or other multi-tools
Weapons (duh)
Cutters of any kind.

We have a few basic tools in BYOC we can lend out so the rule is "if in doubt, leave it out"

Buy your BYOC passes here! http://www.showclix.com/event/3786786
They're $35, and we've got 350 of them this year so far.

NOTE! YOU MUST HAVE A 3-DAY PASS OR 3 INDIVIDUAL DAY PASSES! BYOC WILL SUCK FOR YOU OR BE NON-EXISTENT IF YOU SCREW THIS UP.

NOTE! 3-DAY PASSES ARE SOLD OUT -- HOPE YOU GET YOUR 3 INDIVIDUAL DAY PASSES!

NOTE! WELL, SATURDAY PASSES ARE SOLD OUT! SEE YOU AT BYOC!

Soon to come in this space:
Group Seating
You know what this is -- got a bunch of friends you want to sit with? Let us know and we'll make sure you guys are sitting right near each other. You can specify exactly where on the map (use the coordinates) you all want to sit!
GROUP SEATING IS CLOSED!
Group Seating Requirements
  • Your party is considered a group if you have SIX or more people.
  • Your group must check-in to BYOC on Friday together. No longer a requirement
  • Groups must pre-register seating assignments prior to PAX, or else seats will be based on first come first serve availability.
  • Requests are taken on a first come, first serve basis.
To request group seating, email pax_pc at paxsite dot com
Include the following information when requesting:
  • Group Name
  • Number of People (include handles too)
  • Desired Location

BYOC Table Layout
GROUP SEATING IS CLOSED!
BYOC_2014_Seating.png
  • RED - Reserved for Admin Use
  • BLUE - Group Seating Reserved
  • GREEN - Available Seats

Case Mod Showcase Information

Want to show off your awesome case mod near the entrance to BYOC? Want to sit in proximity to other case modders? We've carved out an area just for you! Register to sit in our Case Mod Showcase area of the BYOC!

As a note, this is optional and not required if you're bringing in a case mod.
Case Mod Showcase Registration is Open

Case Mod Showcase Requirements
  • For starters, have a case mod!
  • Provide us a picture of your case mod (either finished or in progress).
  • Requests are taken on a first come, first serve basis.
To request Case Mod Showcase, email pax_pc at paxsite dot com
Include the following information when requesting:
  • Full Name
  • Case Mod Information (tell us what's neat about your mod!)
  • Seating Preference within the Case Mod Showcase (if any)
  • Include a picture of the case mod (work in progress pics are fantastic!)

BYOC Table Layout
Group Seating will be updated once per day, each morning.
BYOC_2014_Seating.png
  • Orange - Case Mod Showcase
BCEC Load-In Map
Click here for a quality post by MrFett (thanks MrFett!)

BYOC Information Mailer
****PATCH YOUR PC BEFORE YOU ARRIVE****

If you're getting this, that means you have purchased a BYOC spot at PAX East to bring your computer and play on our dedicated network alongside a couple hundred friends you haven't met yet. To help make sure your BYOC festivities go smoothly, we've put together a little information packet for you. If you ever have any questions, feel free to email us at pax_pc@paxsite.com or to help ensure others benefit from your question, post in our forums.

--- Getting There ---

If you're travelling by car, pull into the Westin/BCEC area at the base of the giant media wall. Follow this road (West Side Drive) all the way past the building, and down and back up the ramp. Keep following the road until you get to Level 1 Southwest. This will be the first glass vestibule you come to on your right hand side.

We will have signs posted where the load-in area will be and there will be Enforcers inside the building manning a security station that can hold your equipment for you while you park your car.

For those of you staying at the Westin, you've got a bit of a walk...sorry about that! Go straight from the skybridge connecting the Westin and the BCEC and down the escalator. Keep going the same direction through North Lobby and around the Northwest corner of the building. Keep following the hallway until you get to "Southwest Lobby B2". This will be the second lobby you come to, just past the food court. From there you can make use of either the escalator or elevator down to the PC Room level (Level 0).

Note that BYOC opens at 8:00am on Friday, two hours earlier than the rest of the show. Obviously that's pending our ability to make sure things are totally ready for you, but the idea is you'll be able to set up your rig with plenty of time to hop in the Expo Hall line.

--- Basic LAN Party Information ---

If you've never been to a LAN party, be sure to bring the following equipment:

3-Day (or other) PAX Pass
BYOC Pass
Computer
Monitor (Please no bigger than 27" LCD) and connecting cable
Keyboard
Mouse (we recommend wired, just to avoid any potential interference)
Mouse pad    
Ethernet cable (25 feet should be sufficient, but longer is always better)    
Power cables (but no extension cords or power strips.  Maximum of two power connected devices) 
Headphones
Games CDs/DVDs, Windows CD, and backups for other programs you may need to install/reinstall.

We suggest printing off this list checking each item as you pack it. If you end up forgetting something, talk to an Enforcer and we might be able to help out.

--- Pre-PAX Prep---

Please update/patch your games before coming to PAX. This includes updating Steam, Impulse, Origin, and such. You will have access to the Internet, but bandwidth is extremely limited...you'll almost certainly get faster downloads at home.

Please be sure to enable virus protection on your computer before connecting it to our network. Any computers that are found with a virus will be immediately disconnected from the network until the matter is resolved.

--- PAX East Badge Registration ---

Your PAX East BYOC badges should be mailed to you shortly if you haven't received them already. Should you have questions or issues with this, please contact registration@paxsite.com.

--- PAX East Schedule ---

The PAX East BYOC schedule is as follows:
Friday: 8:00am - 12:00am
Saturday: 10:00am - 12:00am
Sunday: 10:00am - 7:00pm

--- BenQ Monitor Loaners ---

We've partnered with BenQ to bring monitors to PAX just for you. And we're not talking about some used leftovers, these are brand new, blazing fast 24" BenQ RL2460HT models. Go ahead, do the research. Industry leading 1ms response time, ZeroFlicker capabilities to eliminate traditional LED flicker, BenQ's Black eQualizer which lets you crank up the brightness on dark scenes without overexposing the bright ones, not to mention RevolutionEyes monitor technology only from BenQ. For more information, click here to get the scoop.

These monitors are available absolutely free for the duration of your time at PAX, all you need to do is fill out this form to reserve one for yourself.

--- Tournament Schedule ---

The PC Tournament Schedule will be found on our forums right here when it announced. Note this does not account for the various BYOC contests we'll be peer pressuring you into.

--- BYOC Contests ---

The BYOC staff will be running organized games throughout each day in the games on the list. Some of the activities will have signups ahead of time while others you can just jump in game and join us. Extended descriptions for each of the organized events will be posted on the PAX Forums. Scheduled times will be available on site starting at check-in.

--- Security Information ---

There's a lot more to do at PAX than just play PC games, and we want you to be able to go do all of these things secure in the knowledge that your computer and peripherals are safe and sound. To that end, we probably put a much higher emphasis on security than most other LAN parties. Before you enter the PAX BYOC area, you will have to quickly register your computer and any monitor you're bringing into the computer area. We've gone to great lengths to keep the security processes in check, and as such, please keep your BYOC badge as visible as possible when entering the room.

While we will make every attempt to keep all equipment in the room safe, be aware that there is little we can do to prevent iPods, tablets, portable game consoles, CD's, big wads of cash, and other small items from walking off. We strongly suggest you keep such items out of plain view and use some common sense when it comes to your own security. If you're coming with a laptop, we also STRONGLY recommend you invest in a laptop lock. Seriously.

--- Voice Chat Information ---

We will have Ventrilo servers available for tournaments and public gaming. While we will have the client available on our file server, it is recommended that you download and install Ventrilo before you come to the event. You can download the client at http://www.ventrilo.com.

If you have any PC related questions at all during PAX, please see the BYOC Help Desk. If they're not able to provide a solution, they'll be able to direct you to the right people to get your problem solved.

See ya'll at PAX!

==============================================

yBfDKg5.png
taumeson on

• Options
    taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    BYOC FAQ

Q: What does B.Y.O.C. stand for?
    A: "Bring Your Own Computer" a dedicated, secure place within PAX that attendees who purchase the additional badge have the ability to bring their own computer into PAX and play with other PAX attendees! It's a gigantic LAN Party and a pretty awesome place to rest your feet when you get tired of walking around the convention!

Q: How do I purchase a BYOC Badge?
    A: Badges are being sold separately from PAX East Registration at http://www.showclix.com/event/3786786. BYOC badges will be mailed to you ahead of PAX just like your Attendee Badges.

Q: How many BYOC Spots are available?
    A: Approximately 350 seats

Q: BYOC is sold out and I didn't get a pass! Are passes set aside for later purchase? What about cancellations?
    A: We do not reserve any BYOC tickets for sale at a later date, so there are no additional tickets to be sold. If there are any cancellations, we may be able to, on an extremely limited basis, offer the cancelled tickets up for general purchase. Contact registration at paxsite dot com for specific inquiries.

Q: How much does BYOC cost?
    A: $35 in addition to your regular 3-Day PAX pass (or Single Day Passes, should you decide to do that).

Q: What time do you recommend (or require) people show up for BYOC check-in?
    A: Check in will start at 8:00 AM, 2 hours before PAX opening on Friday. Depending on this year's policy you may need to wait to get into the Expo Hall or return to the line after you set up your computer.

Q: What hours does the BYOC run each day?
    A: Same hours as PAX, basically. The room will close down about an hour before the doors shut for PAX.

Q: Do I leave my stuff in the LAN the whole time?
    A: Yes. The room is guarded all during PAX and locked up at night. We are the first ones in and the last ones out. If you must take your stuff up (like a laptop) you need to check it out at the security desk as you leave and check it back in when you return.

Q: What games are typically played?
    A: Whatever is popular this year. TF2, LoL, COD4/5/6/7/etc, WoW, Starcraft 2, Portal 2, Monday Night Combat, L4D2, etc. If you want to play a game you can find others that are up for it as well.

Q: What if I want to play DOTA 2 this year? Are you guys going to have LoL?
    A: Because we have a limited amount of bandwidth we are very careful to primarily include games that support local-only play. If a vendor chooses to sponsor bandwidth for their game we are able to include them on the image and plan for their allocation. Starting with PAX Prime 2013 we are now evaluating, on a case-by-case basis, exceptions to this rule.

Q: If I get a spot for the BYOC, I don't need to commit to being in there the whole time, right? Just when I feel like relaxing and playing some games with people?
    A: Correct, you aren't chained to your spot in BYOC. The majority of BYOC attendees are just there in-between the PAX events that they want to go see.

Q: Can I bring my 30+ something inch monitor/TV?
    A: No. The max monitor size is 27" due to power and space constraints.

Q: Can I bring my own chair?
    A: NO! The BCEC doesn't allow this. Please use the chairs provided.

Q: Can I bring a laptop with my desktop?
    A: Yes, as long as you stay within your 30" of table space. Although remember you only get one network port and two power ports per seat and you can't use your own power strips

Q: Can I bring a switch or my own power strip to increase that?
    A: NO! No outside networking devices are allowed. Any spotted will be removed.
    A: Daisy chaining power strips is a HUGE NO as well. Fire Marshall hates that so we need to enforce this pretty seriously. Sorry.

Q: Can I charge my iPhone, Android, iPad or other gadgets using power provided to my BYOC Seat?
    A: No, you are only given two power outlets for all of your stuff. If you need to charge your phone or other device, bring a USB cable.

Q: Do I need to bring a network cable?
    A: Yes. You will need a network cable to hook your computer up to the network switch at your table. Bring around a 25ft cable otherwise, depending where you are sitting, the switch may be out of your cables reach.

Q: Can I bring *insert friend/Girlfriend/spouse/random person here* in BYOC with me?
    A: No, Sorry. To ensure the security of everyone's personal equipment in a busy area such as PAX, only BYOC attendees are allowed into the BYOC room.

Q: Is there Internet in BYOC?
    A: Yes there will be, although it will be locked down to prevent things like torrenting and throttled so not one person can use up all the bandwidth.

Q: But... how am I supposed to get my computer there?
    A: Drive it! An alternate option which I have used to attend LANs that are far away, is to ship yourself your computer/monitor to your hotel you are staying at. If you call them and say you have a package coming they will hold it for you until you check-in. Just ship it back to yourself when PAX is over. There is a FedEx Office in the BCEC!

Q: Can I bring my xbox/playstation/nintendo console?
    A: Sorry, no consoles allowed in here. This is a PC LAN. You cant being a console in addition either, those things use up a lot of power.

Q: Can I Bring a cooler in for drinks/snacks?
    A: Yes but only small personal coolers /w no ice (use the frozen gelpacks). If it has more than one handle and/or wheels then it wont be allowed in (think lunch sized cooler).

Q: Can I email you my question?
    A: Yes! Feel free to email PC Questions to pax_pc at penny-arcade dot com

Q: WHERE is BYOC this year?
    A: For the past two years the PC Room has been located on the Expo Hall floor, to mixed success. We anticipate being on the Expo Hall floor once again for PAX East 2014.

This FAQ subject to change

taumeson on
    yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    A.SabotA.Sabot Boston, MaRegistered User regular
    So excited for this year!!!! Buying now!

Pax East 2016: BYOC [x], 3 Day Passes [x], car[x], license[x], new computer[x]
  • Options
    shepdshepd Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    It says US shipping only, no international option. I bought 3 BYOC and I'm in Canada (just bought 5 x 3-day badges). Will this be a problem?

Also it looks like I forgot to put my email info in, or it decided to drop it. I have all the details saved though and I saved the receipt. :)

shepd on
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    shepd wrote: »
    It says US shipping only, no international option. I bought 3 BYOC and I'm in Canada (just bought 5 x 3-day badges). Will this be a problem?

I'm following up with the powers that be and will report what I find.

Edit: No matter what you will be taken care of. They'll either be shipped or we'll have them at will call, no worries.

taumeson on
    yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    The_Doctor1The_Doctor1 Registered User regular
    Got my 3 day and byoc passes, all is right with the world :-)

PAX East 2014 Checklist: [X] Time off [X] Plane Ticket [X] Hotel [X] 3-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    taumeson wrote: »
    I'm following up with the powers that be and will report what I find.

Thanks! Can't believe I messed up on the email. Happy I saved a PDF of the receipt, LOL. Too exhausted from hitting F5!

OMG I need to just take the rest of the day off the PC. I have the email from showclix now.

shepd on
  • Options
    thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    8-Bit Builder signing in and confirmed with byoc tickets!

• Options

We're adding a FedEx option. If you don't FedEx, we'll have them available before PAX (probably on Thursday).

yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    RooslinRooslin Registered User regular

We're adding a FedEx option. If you don't FedEx, we'll have them available before PAX (probably on Thursday).

Can I edit my order and get the passes shipped to me in Canada?

• Options
    FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    URL is not working for me, are they sold out?

• Options
    [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Someone buy an extra seat for THORKON in case he doesn't get to the tickets in time...

p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I got my BYOC pass, called friend over to pay for his 2, he got to the CC submit button and it's 503'ing now. Not sure if the whole thing is down, sold out, or what.

p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    I'll be there again this year!

JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    5 BYOC acquired. I'm in full-on Marshawn Lynch Beast Mode today :)

• Options
    Anyone know if they are sold out?

• Options
    QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    FireWater wrote: »

I *just* got 5 about 2 minutes ago.

• Options
    Rooslin wrote: »

Hmm, I'm not sure. Have you tried already? If not, we may be able to work something out to get some Canadian passes shipped separately via FedEx or, again, we can just will call them.

yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    FireWater wrote: »

We're not as of right this moment.

yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    Hmm, I'm not sure. Have you tried already? If not, we may be able to work something out to get some Canadian passes shipped separately via FedEx or, again, we can just will call them.

I'd appreciate that also. I don't mind paying the extra. There's nothing in there to edit the order from what I can see, other then change name / change address / change email.

I'd rather not pick up at Will Call if I can help it. I got the 3-days UPSed to me to avoid that, since I won't be there until late the night before, which means I have to use Will Call when it's slammed on Friday morning. If there's no other choice, though, well... I guess that's the way she goes. Maybe we could pick them up at the BYOC event itself with proof of purchase?

• Options

Maybe we could pick them up at the BYOC event itself with proof of purchase?

Absolutely. We may be able to have a separate BYOC line depending on how all works and how many we might need to give out at the show.

yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    RooslinRooslin Registered User regular
    Rooslin wrote: »

Can't edit the shipping method on Show Clix as of this moment.

http://support.showclix.com/customer/portal/articles/105429-how-do-i-change-delivery-methods-

Based on the FAQ you should be able to allow ticket purchasers to change there shipping.

• Options
    TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    See y'all at BYOC! Hopefully with the separate registration we'll see some activity this year..

8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • Options
    JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Got my bigger and better group together for BYOC this is going to be awesome!!!

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • Options
    Good job on the splitting out registration, Nathaniel and gang. Not as tough as the LanFest site, and only people who are specifically interested are likely to see/share the link first.

p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    Got my pass. Since the Westin went so fast, I'll probably be there even more than I've usually been.

XyqJPIp.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Good job on the splitting out registration, Nathaniel and gang. Not as tough as the LanFest site, and only people who are specifically interested are likely to see/share the link first.
    Yeah time will tell to see if it actually helps in main BYOC attendance during the show, but I was happy to hear it was being done this way.

• Options
    I feel confident that we will have a solid BYOC showing this year. Even without gigantic ginger overlords.

p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    DragonDragon Registered User regular
    Thanks for notifying me on it, glad I didnt miss it! :D

• Options
    Tichinde925Tichinde925 Registered User regular
    For the loading and unloading area, can we please have an agreed place to unload / load that will not require a special badge or have security yell at us due to misinformation.

That first morning was rough but we managed to carry everything in by hand from the parking lot.

Check in was extremely smooth though, and I liked the extra print outs, ie barcodes everywhere!

• Options
    For the loading and unloading area, can we please have an agreed place to unload / load that will not require a special badge or have security yell at us due to misinformation.

Yeah that was pretty frustrating from multiple angles.

yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    I got in, I didn't get a confirmation page which was scary, but I did see my CC get charged and I have an e-mail receipt.

First BYOC in 19 years w00t w00t.

• Options
    TitanITXTitanITX Registered User new member
    Bringing my ITX Monster =)

• Options
    TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular

That was a lot more drama than I was expecting that morning. Lets make sure that doesn't happen again..

8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • Options
    d3c0yd3c0y Registered User regular
    Comment and a couple question.

The FAQ on http://east.paxsite.com/faq#can-i-bring-my-own-computer-for-the-lan says BYOC is sold out but as of this posting it is not. I'm assuming it was an answer regarding a previous pax. If so it should be changed to prevent someone from missing out on a badge. Almost gave up but found the purchase link through google.

As for my question... The FAQ here is pretty extensive but it didn't cover a couple things I need to know. I currently have 2 byoc badges and was wondering if you're allowed to reserve adjacent spots. I also need to know if you're allowed to use power from both sections to power 1 rig (tower + eyefinity). If my male friend attends with me, we'll both be setting up computers but if my girlfriend ends up coming with me, she'll just be using the spare byoc badge to hang out with me in between panels.

• Options
    GeekyPanda404GeekyPanda404 The Geeky Panda ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    Going to buy a badge soon, I hadn't had a good LAN Party in awhile.

mYPBAfl.jpg
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    The website BYOC faq is out of date.

• Options
    Tichinde925Tichinde925 Registered User regular
    One badge gives you access to only two power ports. If you wish to connect your tower and 3 monitors, that will require 2 badges for 4 power ports.

Example:
    317615-three-screen-flight-simulator-pc-joerson-ramos.jpg

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/309587/the-best-custom-pcs-of-pax-east/4

Last time they had the Alias/Name with barcode and seat number printed on a sticker placed at the back of the BYOC badges. With 2 badges, you'll have 2 aliases.

You'll have to check with them to see if it will be okay to have a friend come in with you with the spare badge but last time security was extra tight due to some theft :(

• Options
    MalfeisMalfeis Protagonist. 2d10 hit die. Chaotic Neutral. Registered User regular
    Allow me to fourth the notion of easing early load-in on Friday morning. I had some rather...impolite security guards chasing after me at one point, in spite of being where I was supposed to be. The BCEC staff really don't communicate well, it seems.

PAX East 2015 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X] BYOC [X]
  • Options
    You'll have to check with them to see if it will be okay to have a friend come in with you with the spare badge but last time security was extra tight due to some theft :(

This sounds fine by me.

yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    For Canadian shipping -- we've got a LONG time before badges go out, so make sure you stay on top of it. Your first step, come to think of it, should be to contact the registration support email address at registration - @ - paxsite - dot - com.

yBfDKg5.png