As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In Which I Am Bad At Windows 8

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
I just got a shiny new laptop, yay! It's a Windows 8 machine with a touchscreen, which is neato and fun to play with and everything, but now I would like to actually be productive with my machine.

The whole Win8 dynamic is weird, and it's not striking me as intuitive yet, and I'm trying to figure out to what extent I should learn what the expected flow of using this thing is, or if I should just give up and try to fool it into thinking it's a Win7 box, using all of the apps and customization tricks that are available to do just that. I am confounded by very basic things, like:

- What happens to an app when I'm done using it? Does it close? How do I see what is currently running? With Win7, I can look at my taskbar and see, "Oh, I have five apps running, three of which use a lot of resources, maybe I should shut one or two of them if I want to fire up Photoshop." With Win8, everything just seems to be kinda there, and who knows if it's running or not. (To be fair, I haven't yet installed Office or PS or anything else, since I'm still just dicking around with trying to get a feel for the thing, so the apps consist of various Chrome windows and a handful of minor pre-installed apps.) Basically, for an OS called "Windows", they seem to have completely eliminated the idea of stuff being in windows. Where are my windows?

- The Start... screen... thing... is a goddamn mess. I don't want to see the Finance and Weather and whatever-the-fuck apps when I go to the Start screen, I want to see the software I actually use and pretty much nothing else. Should I be trimming this shit down and sequestering all the useless garbage into subscreens, or whatever, and moving all the apps I like to the beginning?

- How am I supposed to be swapping between programs that are currently open? I guess I can alt-tab, but I've grown accustomed to managing this stuff with the taskbar, and I don't rely on a lot of keyboard shortcuts in general. Is there a way I'm supposed to be doing this?

- What the hell is the desktop supposed to be for in this new Win8 world? Is it just supposed to be a place where I keep my files? Does it not even serve a purpose anymore, and it's just there because it's always been there?

I'm not necessarily looking for answers to these particular questions (though I wouldn't mind, either). What I'm looking for is a way to determine if these are even the right questions to be asking. I feel a bit like a guy who used to ride a horse and somebody gave me a car and I'm trying to figure out where the stirrups are and where to insert the oats. Like, Microsoft is expecting me to use this stuff in a wholly different way from how I'm accustomed, and I'm unsure if I should be following along or saying "fuck it" and pretending Win8 never happened. Are there any websites or videos or something I can use that will show me the proper and expected way to use the touchscreen in conjunction with the mouse/keyboard stuff I'm used to, so I can make a more informed decision?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    i have it on a laptop without touchscreen and it's even less intuitive. i believe your open stuff, if you run the mouse over the left side of the screen, pops up in a taskbar of sorts. also, the desktop is still sort of there (i avoid the home screen like the plague.)

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The desktop works in almost the exact same way as Windows 7. So if you're getting tied up in knots trying to figure out Metro, just kill it and move on.

I have Metro setup in such a way that I basically use it as a news and weather feed, then click the Chrome pane and go straight to desktop with my most used tabs already open and good to go.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

There's a few others too, I like this one personally.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I'll point out that one of the things the 8.1 update does is integrate the whole "boot to desktop" thing.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Is the boot-to-desktop thing supposed to make the machine take forever to boot? Because the machine was booting to login in 15 seconds and then another 10 or so to the Start pane, and then I configured it to boot to desktop with no login, and now it takes a couple minutes, after hanging at a black screen for aeons. First time, I thought it had locked up.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    - What happens to an app when I'm done using it? Does it close? How do I see what is currently running? With Win7, I can look at my taskbar and see, "Oh, I have five apps running, three of which use a lot of resources, maybe I should shut one or two of them if I want to fire up Photoshop." With Win8, everything just seems to be kinda there, and who knows if it's running or not. (To be fair, I haven't yet installed Office or PS or anything else, since I'm still just dicking around with trying to get a feel for the thing, so the apps consist of various Chrome windows and a handful of minor pre-installed apps.) Basically, for an OS called "Windows", they seem to have completely eliminated the idea of stuff being in windows. Where are my windows?

Depends which type of app it is. If it is a Metro app (they don't call it Metro anymore, I don't know what to call it so I'm calling it Metro). Then if you switch to desktop mode or launch another Metro app then the 1st Metro app is still open and accessible via swipes/gestures or alt+tab. Edit: and if you "throw away" a Metro app (swipe from top to bottom) it will close the Metro app and dump you to the Start screen or another Metro app.
    - The Start... screen... thing... is a goddamn mess. I don't want to see the Finance and Weather and whatever-the-fuck apps when I go to the Start screen, I want to see the software I actually use and pretty much nothing else. Should I be trimming this shit down and sequestering all the useless garbage into subscreens, or whatever, and moving all the apps I like to the beginning?

I would recommend aggressively pruning your Start menu if you plan to use it much. You can always recreate the links via the Start menu if you accidentally [e: a word] deleted anything. The Start menu is the analogue to the Start button. This is the Kool Aid, drink it or not.
    - How am I supposed to be swapping between programs that are currently open? I guess I can alt-tab, but I've grown accustomed to managing this stuff with the taskbar, and I don't rely on a lot of keyboard shortcuts in general. Is there a way I'm supposed to be doing this?

I use alt+tab, but I'm always in desktop mode. Alternately there are gestures you can use (swipe from left-side to switch, swipe from left and return and you have an app list) to switch between Metro apps, though 8.1 has better screen-sharing between apps if you need to multi-task.
    - What the hell is the desktop supposed to be for in this new Win8 world? Is it just supposed to be a place where I keep my files? Does it not even serve a purpose anymore, and it's just there because it's always been there?

It can be another folder with a pointer to it, but I live in desktop mode and my usage of the desktop or app-switching or whatnot is largely indistinguishable from Win7.

Djeet on
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Yeah definitely make sure you have 8.1, it makes it easier to just use the Desktop for most things like 7.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I also own a touch screen laptop

Windows 8.1 simultaneously fixes everything wrong with the start screen while also sort of making it go away, or at least less prominent

I struggled to learn how to "manage" the start screen on 8, and most of those issues have been fixed in 8.1

I think how you decide to use your computer is still ultimately a matter of preference. Windows 8.1 makes suggestions but doesn't enforce anything

to switch between apps, you drag down from the top of the screen and you can then throw everything into dividers... I think

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I haven't tried to change it to "boot to desktop", though since I've an SSD and boot takes 10 seconds or less not sure if I can compare. When I do have to power cycle I just let it go into Metro and then hit "Alt+B" (Edit: This should be "Win+B", sorry. Though just hitting Win button repeatedly seems to cycle between Metro and Desktop mode) to get to desktop mode. I have started using keystroke combos way way more often since I got Win8.

Djeet on
  • Options
    Okay, so updating to 8.1 will be my first major step.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    The key to Windows 8 are it's hot corners, which are laid out as follows:

Top-left: app switcher. Hover the mouse over it to see what apps are running. Left-click on any app up there to bring up a contextual menu where you can close it.
    Bottom-left: Metro start. Will always bring you back to the Metro start screen.
    Top and bottom-right: charms bar. The 'Settings' charm is the most important.

In Metro, left-clicking a live tile will allow you to re-size it, unpin it, or remove the app (depending on the app). You can tweak live tile groups simply by left clicking the background.

Metro is really the tablet-y side of things. If you do any real work, or don't use IE as your browser, you're likely going to spend most of your time in the desktop. Since that's what I do, I make it a point to pin my most used apps to both the desktop taskbar and the front of the live tile screen, just so if I have to dive into Metro for whatever reason, I can quickly launch whatever else I need.

But, yeah, updating to 8.1 should be your first priority.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    i use the start screen for nothing. i use the same dock launcher (rocket dock) that i used in windows 7, i just now have to hit win-D first thing to drill down to it - I haven't put 8.1 on yet. otherwise it's basically the same. quicker, generally.

assuming you don't actually wish to use metro apps. which you don't.

edit: if you do worry about having apps running in the background, swipe through them from the left edge of your touchscreen or trackpad then close them down with alt-f4

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Click on whatever program you want to open. You are now on the desktop.

Want to open something else? Press the Windows key on your keyboard, and either click the program or start typing the name of it. This functionality is exactly like Windows 7, except it looks different.

Windows 8's problem isn't that it's bad, it's that Microsoft did a shit job of explaining it to people.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Okay, I got 8.1 installed, and between that and some of the tips you nice people gave me, I think I have a handle on it enough that I at least know what questions to ask, and can probably rely on Google for the rest.

8.1 is kinda cool. And yeah, the way it's presented is odd. It's Windows, but with this smartphone facade on top of it, which blends well once you get it, but which makes zero sense at first blush.

Anyway, thanks guys!

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

There's a few others too, I like this one personally.

Wanted to throw in my recommendation for this too. Worth the $5 if Metro bothers you.

• Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Microsoft did a shit job of explaining it to people.

This is their single biggest problem to every goddamn product they launch.

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    bigbhbigbh Registered User regular
    I found it useful to essentially ignore the start screen and think of it more as the search screen. Hit the windows key to get there and then just start typing in the program you want.