As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NBA] Thread - Playoffs for the next 4 months!

ButtersButters A glass of some milksRegistered User regular
edited April 2015 in Social Entropy++
This is the SE++ basketball thread wherein we talk basketball particularly the National Basketball Association which is a professional basketball league in the United States. How the Cavaliers totally aren't going to repeat history and they'll finally get it done and Lebron and Kevin "Eat, Pray" Love are going to stay in beautiful Cleveland forever until they get 10 championships.

This is a shirt my friend designed:
oQDxFTX.jpg

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
Butters on

• BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    A friend gave me tickets to last night's Lakers preseason game against the Nuggets.

Ugh, it was sloppy...

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    it seems about time for some turnover

sub .500 teams making playoff runs

edited October 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arDdPTPkZfU

really excited to see what Schroder does this year

kinda sad that Lucas Nogueira is staying in Spain for this season

but at least the Hawks signed someone like Millsap who hopefully isn't injury prone like Horford

Xehalus on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Magic Johnson abruptly left NBA Countdown and ESPN as a whole today through a brief statement. ESPN says the commentator situation is in flux but Doris Burke was announced as a replacement somewhere.

The reported reason for Magic leaving was his buddy Wilbon being taken off the show in favor of Doug Collins, which is attributed to Bill Simmons winning an apparent power struggle. An anonymous source told Deadspin that Simmons is like the "shadow president" of ESPN. The official reasoning given for Wilbon being dumped from Countdown was that PTI's ratings were sagging due to him never being actually on set with Tony when he was available for the show and the oft times when someone would fill in for him. The feeling, per that article, was that having them back on set together would bring the chemistry back to its previous level that made the show so good.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I know Simmons has power but I don't know if I'd accept a guy who has been twice suspended and even recently reprimanded for his Tweets regarding the Bayless-Sherman incident a "shadow president" of ESPN.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I don't get this whole "Bill Simmons runs ESPN!" thing. Like, he's the editor-in-chief of this whole other website? And does NBA countdown? And is involved with film projects? And still writes his own columns somehow?

And why would he campaign for Doug Collins of all people?

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I blame Obama

• HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    If Simmons is the reason that Magic is off of my television, kudos to him.

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    I'm excited for the Pistons season - I think they'll still be horrible, but they'll probably be really fun to watch (and tickets will still be really cheap!).

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Hjorvarthr wrote: »

Clever girl.

Maximum wrote: »

Yeah I agree. Magic is awful on TV and he's terribly biased towards his favorite teams and players.

I got tired of Magic arguing weird points with everyone and almost trying to filibuster every segment

when coaches are commentators they find ways to say more with less words and it's way more effective

it's rare to get players who are good commentators or Sir Charles Barkley

Butters wrote: »

Yeah I agree. Magic is awful on TV and he's terribly biased towards his favorite teams and players.

I see what you did here.

• simosimo Registered User regular
    wilbon sucked as well, but i think at least 50% of that suck was due to his constant fawning over magic

and doug collins is good

between this and the basketball jones guys moving to nbatv, nba coverage is nearly perfect

now just get shaq off tnt

bugss2.jpg
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    maybe the reason is just that magic wasn't that great

also hasn't simmons semi-regularly killed doug collins in columns and so on? Or am I thinking of somebody else

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    I want 4 Charles Barkleys

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/tim-duncan-urges-teammates-to-be-patient-with-freq,34289/

I could totally see Tim Duncan being fundamentally sound on travel logistics

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    Irving is really good but the Sixers may end up being historically bad.

My only hope is that they're hilariously bad and not just boringly bad.

Bad basketball really isn't entertaining. I couldn't watch the Cavs the year Lebron left. They were so very terrible.

Yeah in my heart of hearts I know that but I'm trying to lie to myself and say it'll all be ok, they'll run and be fun and lose but the score will be 150-100, not 150-65.

It's going to be tough for Philly to score 100 with only 6 real NBA players on their team.

Man, you are generous. When Brett Brown said that he was counting Michael Carter-Williams and James Anderson. Exactly 0 of the starters on the Sixers would start on any other team and maybe 4 would make a bench. This team is going to be comedically bad.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I'm probably late on this, but Yao Ming hangin' out with Muggsy Bogues is my new favorite picture.

yycd.jpg

• AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    So the league still needs one more to hit 8.

Get on it.

Oh yeah. Draft is on Saturday and we're stuck on 7.

I'll post something in D&D I guess. I'm just about to leave work, so it won't be until later.

• satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    it really took me, like, no time at all to convince myself that monta ellis is going to have a career year with the mavs

it really took me, like, no time at all to convince myself that monta ellis is going to have a career year with the mavs

How much have you had to drink and should I call an ambulance?

• satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    jason terry and vince carter both came to dallas with the same questions, and rick carlisle whipped them into shape!

jason terry and vince carter both came to dallas with the same questions, and rick carlisle whipped them into shape!

OK. It's your funeral.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    I'm probably late on this, but Yao Ming hangin' out with Muggsy Bogues is my new favorite picture.

yycd.jpg

This is all kinds of awesome. Bogues was the reason I got into NBA basketball 20 years ago ...

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    what are the rules of your dudes' fantasy league? It seems like the D&D one has died of inactivity

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    what are the rules of your dudes' fantasy league? It seems like the D&D one has died of inactivity

Standard HtH. As commish I get first rights to Steph Curry.

Other than that, nothing fancy.

it'll be weird not doing the weird thing where we split rebounds into offensive and defensive categories anymore for reasons nobody ever seemed to know, but I guess I can live with it.

NREqxl5.jpg
    We were talking about mixing up some of the stat categories earlier, but I sort of forgot.

I'll actually have to look at some draft stuffs tomorrow as I have done zero prep so far.

Standard HtH. As commish I get first rights to Steph Curry.

Other than that, nothing fancy.

I will trade you Steph Curry for Kevin Love, straight up.

Oh wait we already did that.

@Eat it You Nasty Pig Were you going to join up?

Otherwise no draft tonight unless we manage one more.

This discussion has been closed.