As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tony, Thor, Steve. Armors, Hammers, and Shield and etcSUPERHEROES

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Pretty much, yeah.

CYpGAPn.png
  • AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    We've already had Jeff Bridges, Sam Rockwell, and Guy Pierce, I want to see more diversity in the crucial Menacing Suit role.

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    cap 2 looks pretty good

my concern is if they're going to have cap rise above all the dark shit that's going on around him or be beaten down by it to become ~*darker and more mature*~

PNk1Ml4.png
    He is clearly wearing a vest

CYpGAPn.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    cap 2 looks pretty good

my concern is if they're going to have cap rise above all the dark shit that's going on around him or be beaten down by it to become ~*darker and more mature*~

I don't get why people are worried about this when it hasn't happened at all in the MCU so far

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Pretty much, yeah.

Yeah, okay, I'm down for that.

-Tal wrote: »
    cap 2 looks pretty good

Brubaker loved the script and said that the directors really understand Cap's character so I don't see that happening

CYpGAPn.png
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    It's still cool to love Brubaker's cap, right

dN0T6ur.png
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I hope the film ends with some allusion to Coulson's "old fashion" line and then bam, bright and colourful red and white and blue costume at the top of Avengers Tower.

Wyborn wrote: »
    It's still cool to love Brubaker's cap, right
    It is one of the best runs the character has ever had so yes

CYpGAPn.png
  • AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    I'd rather they have the fun costume from the beginning and not do the Smallville thing where bright colors are verboten because it's too comicky.

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    So my theory about the trailer:
    Bucky was recovered by SHIELD, not the Russians. When Cap and Nat are in that older looking SHIELD facility they are looking for his origins and the "you helped decide the course of the century" speech is being delivered by Redford to Bucky, not Steve.

This would make it then
    A false flag operation? Bucky clearly has the red star on his arm

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Bucky was recovered by SHIELD, not the Russians. When Cap and Nat are in that older looking SHIELD facility they are looking for his origins and the "you helped decide the course of the century" speech is being delivered by Redford to Bucky, not Steve.

This would make it then

Or perhaps
    Redford is a Cold War-era Soviet sleeper agent.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Avraham wrote: »
    I'd rather they have the fun costume from the beginning and not do the Smallville thing where bright colors are verboten because it's too comicky.

It's the costume directly from the comics that Steve has previously used when working for Shield.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Cap is seen wearing his red white and blue WWII outfit in the trailer

CYpGAPn.png
    edited October 2013
    Cap is seen wearing his red white and blue WWII outfit in the trailer

And hopefully for the rest of forever (though I do dig the "civilian clothes with the shield" look)

Etchwarts on
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

This would make it then

Or perhaps

Or
    Bucky was found by the Russians and then taken by SHIELD

Basically the important bit is Winter Soldier is a SHIELD asset

CYpGAPn.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

This would make it then

Or perhaps
    Better Deadford than Redford!

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    OP needa more Arrow.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    We've already had Jeff Bridges, Sam Rockwell, and Guy Pierce, I want to see more diversity in the crucial Menacing Suit role.

are you suggesting we shouldn't be teaching children not to trust white men in suits

Studies show that white men in suits have been responsible for an extraordinary amount of hardship for literally anyone not white/not in a suit

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Holy shit that Cap trailer
    When Cap and Bucky and having their little fist fight and Bucky just idly flips that knife around omg omg omg

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    When Cap and Bucky and having their little fist fight and Bucky just idly flips that knife around omg omg omg
    I love that they know that the best way to establish a villain as a total badass is to have them catch Cap's shield

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    man, that cap trailer makes it look really good

it looks like maybe they'll give him more of his own voice in this one, which would be neat

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    In the trailer
    There's that tallish white tower, with lots of large docking berths around it that look helicarrier sized.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Triskelion ??

I was thinking the same thing!

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I have to say I'd be disappointed if
    Redford turns out to be the bad guy and Bucky is a SHIELD agent

I mean I'd get it, it wouldn't be a dumb twist or anything. I think it makes a lot of sense, actually!

It's just a little predictable these days. It's as much of a trope as commie bashing was, back in the day

I know the true enemy of freedom is our own government and people proliferating the war on terror and propagating fear and white men in suits and shit, I saw Star Trek Into Darkness, I saw Shooter Starring Mark Wahlberg, I saw every major release in the last six to eight years

It'd be a nice and fine conflict for Cap to deal with, but it also wouldn't provoke a single reaction from me other than a gentle sigh

Though I love that they somehow got Redford to be in their comic book movie, and if that's what it took, then I guess it is worth it

Robert Redford is in a comic book movie you guys

That's kinda crazy

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I have to say I'd be disappointed if
    Redford turns out to be the bad guy and Bucky is a SHIELD agent

I mean I'd get it, it wouldn't be a dumb twist or anything. I think it makes a lot of sense, actually!

It's just a little predictable these days. It's as much of a trope as commie bashing was, back in the day

I know the true enemy of freedom is our own government and people proliferating the war on terror and propagating fear and white men in suits and shit, I saw Star Trek Into Darkness, I saw Shooter Starring Mark Wahlberg, I saw every major release in the last six to eight years

It'd be a nice and fine conflict for Cap to deal with, but it also wouldn't provoke a single reaction from me other than a gentle sigh

Though I love that they somehow got Redford to be in their comic book movie, and if that's what it took, then I guess it is worth it

Robert Redford is in a comic book movie you guys

That's kinda crazy
    Remember how Widow was still working on taking down Eastern Bloc military guys at the start of Avengers?

And we still don't know who's running Centipede in AoS.

Totally plausible for it to be as simple as Redford being leash placed on Fury by the security council and Bucky to still be a Soviet asset.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    "This isn't freedom. This is fear."

Jesus Christ the creative team for this movie just get Steve Rogers perfectly don't they

the most pumped

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    That line made me so happy

Cap is my favorite Marvel character when he's written right, but it's so easy to get him wrong

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Studies show that white men in suits have been responsible for an extraordinary amount of hardship for literally anyone not white/not in a suit

Phew

Safe.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    First things first, ugh, Captain America trailer, you look so good, put it in me

Second, I just discovered that one of my local coffee shops has a small pile of nineties Marvel single issues. Presumably just there in case you want to read an Inhumans/Alpha Flight team up while you're having your coffee.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

Trivia!
    Since the knife is one of the oldest weapons in our collective human history, the art of knife fighting has a broad and varied history; it's roots are as tangled as creeper vine. However, several knife fighting styles stand out, one of which is Sayoc Kali (or Kali Knife Fighting). Sayoc Kali was formed from the Filipino fighting arts known as Eskrima, Arnis, and Kali ... the terms all blend together to contain the structure for fencing, knife-work, the hand axe and the truncheon.

Side-note: in the mountains of Vietnam, the Degar (Montagnard in French) are group of indigenous tribes that still pass down the tradition of knife fighting. The Rhade (rah-DAY) are one of the tribes whose dialect has influenced the Degar people and the Rhade word for 'bamboo knife' is the same as the word for 'war.'

Side-side-note: The Degar/Montagnard tribes were staunch allies of the Special Forces fighting in the Vietnam Conflict; every Green Beret of that era whom I've met speak of their native guides with the utmost respect and more than a little fear. If you can make a Green Beret take a step back, that means you are a hardass.

Side-side-side-note: The Rhade are a matrilineal people! The females are more deadly than the males!

Now, back to knife fighting!

In the clip where Cap and WS are fighting and WS flips the knife ... yeah, that's flashy stuff for the camera, for sure.

However!

In William Friedkin's tale of The Hunted, both of the main characters practice a version of Sayoc Kali refined for Spec Ops in the military.

At the end of the film ...

DOUBLE SPOILER!!!
    ... both of the men square off against each other and lock in a death grip; if one man twitches, the same man dies.

HOLY SHIT, TRIPLE SPOILER!!!!!!
    At this point, the younger man drops his knife into his opposing hand and cuts a vicious slash to the other man's abdomen.

In a practical sense, knife fighters are taught to utilize every advantage and one of those advantages is distraction and another is your off-hand.

The flip-flip-flip that WS shows off in the fight with Cap is a legitimate tactic to distract an opponent and use the brief half-second to land a punch, grapple or kick.

It's a highly complex move and requires AMAZING dexterity and a shit-ton of practice.

Unless you happen to be a comic book character.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    CBR.com wrote:
    Responding to accusations of homophobia, and increasing media attention, Universal Studios Hollywood has canceled its Bill and Ted Halloween Horror Nights show, which featured a Man of Steel transformed into a mincing gay stereotype.

Part of the theme park’s annual Halloween event, Bill and Ted’s Excellent Halloween Adventure was a play in which the title characters are transported to the Land of Oz filled with references to sex and popular culture. According to Vice.com, Bill and Ted are joined in their quest to kill four evil witches by Superman, who’s turned gay after being accidentally sprinkled with fairy dust.

“After becoming gay, Superman’s voice and posture changes,” writes Vice’s Jamie Lee Curtis Taete. “His lips purse, his toes point inward, and his wrists become limp. His new voice sounds like a homophobic uncle doing a drunken impression of Richard Simmons, complete with lisps and frequent use of the word ‘faaaaaaabulous!’”

The depiction apparently goes downhill from there, with the Man of Steel groping his companions and blowing them kisses, and “mistaking” the intentions of General Zod’s order to get on his knees before running off with a lisping Mr. Sulu/”George Takei” to have sex off-stage. According to the website, the production also wades into offensive racial territory with portrayals of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and rapper/singer Nicki Minaj.

I...I just dunno what's more bizarre; that someone actually thought it was a good idea to approve of this show for the public or that someone actually thought that Bill & Ted were relevant enough today to make them a part of a Halloween event.

what is this what am I reading here

PiptheFair wrote: »
    Owenashi wrote: »
    CBR.com wrote:
    Responding to accusations of homophobia, and increasing media attention, Universal Studios Hollywood has canceled its Bill and Ted Halloween Horror Nights show, which featured a Man of Steel transformed into a mincing gay stereotype.

Part of the theme park’s annual Halloween event, Bill and Ted’s Excellent Halloween Adventure was a play in which the title characters are transported to the Land of Oz filled with references to sex and popular culture. According to Vice.com, Bill and Ted are joined in their quest to kill four evil witches by Superman, who’s turned gay after being accidentally sprinkled with fairy dust.

“After becoming gay, Superman’s voice and posture changes,” writes Vice’s Jamie Lee Curtis Taete. “His lips purse, his toes point inward, and his wrists become limp. His new voice sounds like a homophobic uncle doing a drunken impression of Richard Simmons, complete with lisps and frequent use of the word ‘faaaaaaabulous!’”

The depiction apparently goes downhill from there, with the Man of Steel groping his companions and blowing them kisses, and “mistaking” the intentions of General Zod’s order to get on his knees before running off with a lisping Mr. Sulu/”George Takei” to have sex off-stage. According to the website, the production also wades into offensive racial territory with portrayals of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and rapper/singer Nicki Minaj.

I...I just dunno what's more bizarre; that someone actually thought it was a good idea to approve of this show for the public or that someone actually thought that Bill & Ted were relevant enough today to make them a part of a Halloween event.

what is this what am I reading here

It's the future, Pip.

And the future is butts.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Second, I just discovered that one of my local coffee shops has a small pile of nineties Marvel single issues. Presumably just there in case you want to read an Inhumans/Alpha Flight team up while you're having your coffee.

...why yes

yes I would

Yeah I know!

I'd been unimpressed with this place when they opened but they are gradually winning me over (I keep going because they are the closest by a solid quarter mile)

I think this might be the straw that breaks me into totally becoming a regular

They have gourmet donuts on the weekends and also comic books? Yeah, that is all I want literally every Saturday morning

Straightzi wrote: »
    Yeah I know!

I'd been unimpressed with this place when they opened but they are gradually winning me over (I keep going because they are the closest by a solid quarter mile)

I think this might be the straw that breaks me into totally becoming a regular

They have gourmet donuts on the weekends and also comic books? Yeah, that is all I want literally every Saturday morning

Your wallet is gonna start crying any minute, my young friend.

IDEA!!!

Start up a comic-swap on Saturdays! You'll get free coffee and donuts for life!

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I wonder if they'll bring Justin Hammer back. Maybe he'll play into the Ultron thing in Avengers 2.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

Yeah, I've just kinda been staring at this on and off all day: http://25.media.tumblr.com/f70464a8d77875951a6b18c7e040ea9e/tumblr_mv6q56CXSX1qcil2jo2_500.gif

This discussion has been closed.