As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tony, Thor, Steve. Armors, Hammers, and Shield and etcSUPERHEROES

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Yeah I know!

I'd been unimpressed with this place when they opened but they are gradually winning me over (I keep going because they are the closest by a solid quarter mile)

I think this might be the straw that breaks me into totally becoming a regular

They have gourmet donuts on the weekends and also comic books? Yeah, that is all I want literally every Saturday morning

Your wallet is gonna start crying any minute, my young friend.

IDEA!!!

Start up a comic-swap on Saturdays! You'll get free coffee and donuts for life!

I'm already pretty dang unemployed

My wallet drowned itself in its own tears months past

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Avraham wrote: »
    We've already had Jeff Bridges, Sam Rockwell, and Guy Pierce, I want to see more diversity in the crucial Menacing Suit role.

at no point did i feel menaced by sam rockwell

lfYVHTd.png
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    Holy shit that Cap trailer
    When Cap and Bucky and having their little fist fight and Bucky just idly flips that knife around omg omg omg

Yeah, I've just kinda been staring at this on and off all day: http://25.media.tumblr.com/f70464a8d77875951a6b18c7e040ea9e/tumblr_mv6q56CXSX1qcil2jo2_500.gif

Is it just me or does Buck's robot arm basically look like a cast in this? It's just weird how his elbow doesn't move at all.

Legba on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Might be the CGI used. Fast paced shot, probably cut a couple of animation corners.

newSig.jpg
  • Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    You're elbow shouldn't move if you don't want it to just because you're shoulder moves.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    gosh I sure hope Justin Hammer comes back

also resurrect Vanko because I still believe that character can be redeemed

PNk1Ml4.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    rourke doesn't want to come back, he insulted marvel after insisting the bird be part of vanko's character to make him more interesting

and so the bird died in Fury's Big Week

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    -Tal wrote: »
    gosh I sure hope Justin Hammer comes back

also resurrect Vanko because I still believe that character can be redeemed

Micky Rourke burned the shit out of his bridges at Marvel. I'd rather they not bother bringing the character back if they can't get the original actor. Especially when there's been 20 zillion Crimson Dynamos.

Undead Scottsman on
    Rourke is wonderful but they've replaced actors before

PNk1Ml4.png
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    i didn't care about ivan vanko at all

lfYVHTd.png
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Yeah, if they never reference Vanko again I would be okay.

More Justin Hammer, though, please.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Justin Hammer picks up the remnants of AIM. Snags some wreckage from the Battle of New York, some Extremis samples,
    shows up in AoS as the backer for Centipede

Still hoping for the Power Broker though.

I mean Vanko is a genius on the same level as Tony, he built the arc reactor in a russian cave with a box of scraps

by whatever means they resurrected Coulson, Vanko would be pretty worth a resurrection

you need Hammer as the Tony without the brains and Vanko as the brains without the Tony

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the thing in the trailer is really just a flourish, since he isn't even switching hands when he does it (if you just want to switch grips there's better ways to do it than throwing your knife in the air)

it's still awesome though

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Throw

shields

at

everything (I really love shield throwing, you guys).

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    i still think the premise presented at the beginning of iron man 2 with vanko is pretty much incredible

and then... it didn't do a single good thing with it but oh well

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    anyway I thought vanko got a proper enough resolution in IM2; besides rourke did a good job with it and it seems unlikely that another actor could capture the underlying menace in the same way.

it's kinda too bad that IM2 didn't play him up more as a kind of tragic character, but that's just one of that movie's many issues soooo

NREqxl5.jpg
    Vanko has a pretty damn legitimate beef with Howard Stark, and the core failing of Iron Man 2 is that Tony is never forced to confront that

Instead of blowing himself up for revenge, Vanko should have discovered the new element for the arc reactor and reformed himself as an ally of Tony in exchange for his dad getting credit for the arc reactor and a statue and his name on a university

PNk1Ml4.png
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    i still think the premise presented at the beginning of iron man 2 with vanko is pretty much incredible

Yep, Iron Man not being invincible and the Stark legacy having some skeletons in its closet was a good start, but alas.

Howard Stark's lack of respect for Vanko mirroring Tony's lack of respect for Pepper and Rhodey and etc as he learns to appreciate the people around him who help him maintain such a privileged life

PNk1Ml4.png
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »

Yeah, I tried watching the making of doc on the Iron Man 2 blu-ray and it felt like they all showed up and decided to make a second movie and didn't concern themselves with a script or anything. It's slapdash as all hell and made me legitimately feel kind of uncomfortable.

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Admittedly Iron Man 1 was pretty much the same, and if they tried to capture that same lightning in a bottle then I understand why but it's a shame that rarely if ever works twice.

My main beef with bringing Vanko back is you'd have to explain how he survived (not too hard; I find it easier to believe that he faked his own suit's "explodey light" in order to scare off Tony and Rhodey so he can leave, rather than doing a dumbass thing and warning them he was going to explode, thus letting them escape.) and I don't see that a worthwhile effort if you just replaced the actor anyway. It'd be confusing I think.

Easier to just say it's a new character, given how many Crimson Dynamos they have to draw upon.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Eh, they seem to be aware that the best part of Iron Man is RDJr. They just have to channel it properly.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    If they bring Justin Hammer back, I hope they don't make him as incompetent as he was in Iron Man 2. They made the character cartoonish to the point where it's just silly to suggest that his company could compete against Stark at all.

edited October 2013
    Well, his company couldn't compete with Stark; that was the point. They only got the military contracts because Stark stopped making weapons.

EDIT: But yeah, he was way too stupid to be a credible threat. I didn't enjoy that aspect of the story.

Undead Scottsman on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Also I just finally got around to reading the latest Iron Man and my reaction was mainly "this is what people were freaking out about?"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone was freaking out?

It was mostly just "well that's pretty dumb."

CYpGAPn.png
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Eh, they seem to be aware that the best part of Iron Man is RDJr. They just have to channel it properly.

blessing and a curse really

I'm willing to pay admission price just to watch RDJ do tony stark things for 90 minutes; the problem is that the studio seems to know this, and so don't feel any obligation to give me anything more interesting than RDJ doing only tenuously-connected tony stark things for 90 minutes.

NREqxl5.jpg
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I don't think anyone was freaking out?

It was mostly just "well that's pretty dumb."

As someone who's been reading Gillen's run from the beginning, I didnt think it was dumb at all!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    As someone who has done that as well, I think it was!

The big reveal, that is. It was very out of nowhere and the fact that Gillen admits he didn't have the ending for the arc planned as he was writing it shows. It looks like it will lead to good stories, though.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    It in fact reassured me that Gillen knows what the fuck he's doing writing Tony Stark, because as exciting and interesting as the Godkiller stuff was, if what 451 had claimed was actually true, that would have demonstrably changed what makes Tony Tony.

This only reaffirms what makes Tony Tony (and potentially introduces an interesting new character, that one could still go either way.)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    As someone who has done that as well, I think it was!

The big reveal, that is. It was very out of nowhere and the fact that Gillen admits he didn't have the ending for the arc planned as he was writing it shows. It looks like it will lead to good stories, though.

Where did Gillen claim that? If you're talking about the letter from Gillen in the back that's not at all what it said.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    It gets Iron Man 2020 back into continuity, and that's a good thing, because Arno Stark was/is(?) a giant piece of shit.

tOkYVT2.jpg
    You're right, I misread, he says that he didn't have a destination planned when he got onto the book and figured out the first arc before coming up with the whole Secret Origin stuff.

Still doesn't change that
    HIDDEN BROTHER YOU HAVEN'T KNOWN ABOUT YOUR WHOLE LIFE
    is a pretty silly reveal this far into Iron Man's publishing history

I mean
    Mark Waid and James Robinson are doing the same thing with Spider-Man in their OGN
    and I am sure it will be a good story, as Secret Origin is, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous and a lil dumb.

CYpGAPn.png
    It gets Iron Man 2020 back into continuity, and that's a good thing, because Arno Stark was/is(?) a giant piece of shit.
    It does not, as the two Arnos are different characters.

CYpGAPn.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I'm willing to pay admission price just to watch RDJ do tony stark things for 90 minutes; the problem is that the studio seems to know this, and so don't feel any obligation to give me anything more interesting than RDJ doing only tenuously-connected tony stark things for 90 minutes.

Well yeah, in fact it's almost the exact same problem Pirates of the Caribbean had with Johnny Depp playing Jack Sparrow. They felt a need to give depth or pathos or whatever to justify the character everyone wanted to see as a character, rather then let the actor do the work. Although I liked those movies a hell of a lot more than everyone else, apparently.

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Its Marvel embracing 1950s Batman tropes. Fuck, the same arc had 1950s Alien Gangsters. Tony just needs a set of rainbow armor.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

Well yeah, in fact it's almost the exact same problem Pirates of the Caribbean had with Johnny Depp playing Jack Sparrow. They felt a need to give depth or pathos or whatever to justify the character everyone wanted to see as a character, rather then let the actor do the work. Although I liked those movies a hell of a lot more than everyone else, apparently.

Oh, no, I liked those movies a lot too.

Maybe not the 4th one, but otherwise I'm a big fan of them.

That is a dumb criteria, it's not a silly reveal because it's effect on Tony is actually clearly pretty well thought out and is at once both a direct challenge to Tony's perception of himself and a reaffirmation of one of the most important aspects of Tony (a self made man).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.