As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Decaying slowly from the brain down.

tynictynic PICNIC BADASSRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited October 2013 in Social Entropy++
So my mother came to visit me. And apart from moving everything in my house and backing my car into something, one of her favourite tricks is just to sit and talk. And talk. It doesn't really matter if you respond, although replying does at least help keep the conversation from veering wildly from non sequitur to non sequitur. It's either amusing or vastly irritating.

I was complaining about this to a friend via FB chat, and they were reading my posts but not responding. This didn't phase me, I just kept talking. And talking. It took me longer than I'd like to admit to realise the irony. So yeah, fuck, I'm turning into my mother, goddamit. I even have a gammy knee.

We're getting older, SE. We're getting older, and grumpier, and probably either more or less hairy depending on chromosomes and genetics. And at least many of us are watching in horror as things come out of our mouth that we swore we'd never, ever say. Usually directed at children.

Maybe we could post about it all here. About your bad backs and rheumatoidal hips. About how your vision is going and your hair is greying and your pee sometimes comes out in a weird direction (although probably not too much about that because excretion threads are gross). And about that ding dang diddly rap music the kids are listening to nowadays. I guess also there's some good stuff about getting old? Like being more comfortable with who you are, or finding out who you weren't. Like knowing how to pick your battles. Like finding a hairdresser that really gets you. Like being smug and self-satisfied and middle-aged and not giving a damn shit. That's cool too.

But mostly I guess I wanted to talk about this becoming your parents thing. About the good bits and the bad bits. And about how sometimes the bad bits - the things you found most irritating growing up - maybe aren't that bad. In fact I guess sometimes it's the things you don't even notice that are worse - internalised attitudes, unthinking prejudice or just plain ol' misinformation. For example, my boss thought until four weeks ago that men had less ribs than women, because his mother told him so and he never thought to check.

tynic on

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Used to be able to take a pee without worrying about excess latent drippage.

Now I gotta shake that thing for a good minute.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    You are working on those robo husks for us, right Tynic?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

yeah i'm gonna be perfectly frank. You probably won't be able to pee straight with them, either.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I have a minor tremor and I don't know if it's from my brain spiders or my medicine

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Husk.png

?

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Wrinkles and acne is just a one-two punch to the self-esteem-gut, yo

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    shortly after I reconciled with the fact that most of the hair on my head is gone or going, a new patch started growing on my shoulder

my body is an asshole

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    The whole slowing metabolism thing has me down. Nowadays, I have to exercise twice as hard to basically not balloon up. Also my knee hurts and I constantly forget what I'm doing. I used to make fun of my mom for being a wee bit scatter brained. But here I am. Also also last doctor check-up, he told me I had high blood pressure and may need to go on medication soon. Growing up sucks

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    I'm gonna live forever

I'm gonna learn how to fly

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Thanks to denial I'm basically immortal

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Not me I'm gonna be young forever

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I keep thinking that my hair is thinning but people always tell me that I have a head full o' hair. I'm starting to think they're being nice.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I know I'm getting old because I can't sit down or stand up without making a noise.

• Options
    Oh yes also I get hangovers now, so that sucks too

Also gravity. Fuck you gravity.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Also this is probably more jetlag than age but this week I've been waking up in the middle of the night sweating like goddamn. It's gross.

Maybe it's early onset menopause?!?

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I so often say and laugh at just the cheesiest, hammiest stuff lately, really reminding myself of my dad's very stereotypical "dad" sense of humor (or how I perceived it) where he'd say something corny to me and then just laugh to himself

I dunno if I've always kind of been like this or it's just a "becoming your parents" thing. I'm not ashamed of it, and dream of subjecting my own child to my dad-ness, but there's something about laughing and joking like my dad that still made me feel very stale and irrelevant.

but anyway my dad visited a month ago (I don't see him often), and I'm probably moving the goalposts, but my prevailing thought after he left was, "okay I'm not that bad yet"

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    if i turn out like my dad

i'd be good with that.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Usagi wrote: »

Pfft. I get hangovers and I don't even drink. I just wake up every morning and go "Jesus, not again..."

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    It's been nearly 5 years since I've been diagnosed as can't sleep like a normal human. My brain hates slumber. My brain hates a basic function of evolution that enables us to relax, recuperate, and shut down the elaborate electro-chemical system we've developed for greater intelligence for several hours so we don't fry the system.

Good job brain...way to function.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    I didn't understand youth when I was one. I understand them even less now. But now I find that I appreciate the basic things in life more.

Like a good chair. Comfortable clothing. Properly constructed furniture. A reliable routine.

As I've gotten older I don't like change. I don't see a need for things to be spontaneous and exciting all the time.

I understand the appeal of a comfortable seat and a quiet evening.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    My back aches all the damn time.

School kids on public transport are too bloody loud.

Everyone walks around with their face stuck in their smartphone and doesn't look where they're going, inconsiderate sods

Hang on I'm just warming up

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »

Pfft. I get hangovers and I don't even drink. I just wake up every morning and go "Jesus, not again..."

That's what you get for being a PA admin

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    my dad has a full beard

and all growing up i thought

i cant wait to get a beard

and now im 27

and i still can't grow shit except for neckbeard. i let that thing go and i look straight amish.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular

That's what you get for being a PA admin

I thought that was Herpes

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I guess I can start with the bad. I find myself saying and doing things sometimes in ways similar to my father, but with less venom and more of a personal twist, that I promise myself every time I realize it that I will not do, and it happens anyway. He's the kind of person who needs to bring other people around him down to make himself and his negative impression of himself go up, and he feeds off other people's energy. He also frets and fusses about things that are trivial and even pointless to worry about for other people. I find myself doing those things and feeling that way from time to time if not to the same, parasitic degree that he does, and even the amount that I do bugs the hell out of me when I realize it. Shit is subtle.

On a more positive, if sad note, I was also with my grandmother a few months back in the ICU as she slowly passed away from surgery complications, and having known her for most of my short existence on this Earth, it was quite a lesson in humility and mortality to see the last gasps and mental degradation that had gripped this formerly active, compassionate woman. She had done so much for me in my formative years, so I was glad I had the chance to pray for her and say goodbye in my own way.

What really stuck out for me though wasn't so much her personality and mine, it was how she would always compare me to one of my mother's more creative brothers who did a lot of comic book style art back in the 80's. He died of heart disease right before I was born, but when my Mom was pregnant with me he had designed a toy box with a meditating silhouette in front of a setting sun for her, almost like he was anticipating his own demise, and my future character. That comparison was one of the things that came up again from our brief final conversations before she passed. I now have a lot of his old art and poetry now that I received from her and I am finding more in common with him and inspiration from his work. It's almost surreal to the point where I feel like I'm carrying on his spirit and creating what he was unable to create, in my own way.

I'm not an old person in terms of age, but I've always felt older then others my age, and have always felt older physically in a whole host of ways, even down to having that feeling in my legs when it gets cold that's both weird and comforting. Recent realizations like these of my mortality and the kinds of stuff I'm carrying on from my forebearers has been creeping into my creative process lately, and I find myself re-examining my relationships with my parents and those that came before them in new ways in my writing.

488W936.png
  • Options
    there are some ideas that people seem to have about male pattern baldness that I'm tired of hearing:

1) It's inherited from the mother's side.

2) It skips a generation.

both of these things are demonstrably untrue and chances are, if you've met a bald dude, he is living proof

the best thing is when someone tells me I'm not actually balding and points to those facts as evidence

this irritates me roughly the same amount as some blowjob cutting you off in his giant-ass pickup while honking and giving you the finger, like it's your fault he's an asshole

which is to say, a whole lot

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah. I did my back before I was twenty five probably. It was that long ago I have trouble remembering.

Ironically I am in probably better shape now than I was at twenty.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That's not 100% true. I was probably better at running back then.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I am 6 years older than my uni classmates and they just don't get how I don't want to go out and get wrecked each night like they do. There's a big difference between 18 and 24 sometimes.

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    I'm twenty five and suffering severe mental illness while my life falls apart, jobless and now without HRT meds. I try to improve, reading the bible, having gay sex and quitting smoking and doing less drugs. I don't really sleep anymore, and cry for hours alone as friendships recede and people distance themselves from me. I'm my parents daughter, and do not concede as this happens. I've cut family out of my life as this worsens and actively make a point to never present as male, as placating peoples ignorance has actively been killing me not in a metaphorical but very real sense. I take ma and dads traits subconsciously, too. I talk for hours on the phone and Skype as ma does. I often take photos of myself, as dad does. I've looked at most of his, and most of my family on both ma and dads side involve flipping off the camera, a habit I developed out of nowhere.

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Liiya wrote: »
    I am 6 years older than my uni classmates and they just don't get how I don't want to go out and get wrecked each night like they do. There's a big difference between 18 and 24 sometimes.

I know right? Adults stay in and get wrecked.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I have literally heard my mother call it "hipping and hopping music"

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »

I know right? Adults stay in and get wrecked.
    You save so much more money.

• Options
    on the plus side, if my dad is any indication, I'm going to age gracefully

• Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    I notice that my butt has become more heinous and outspoken.

Got farts a-plenty these days that scare off dogs.

Those intestines slowly giving out. I'm becoming my Dad.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    My life is shit, and always was. The stressors will shorten my life span. When I do sleep, I sleep soundly.

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    on the plus side, if my dad is any indication, I'm going to age gracefully

you and me both shorty on the dad barometer

my face still looks like it did in high school for the most part. I actually shaved my beard off for the first time in half a decade last month and was shocked when I looked in the mirror. only thing off really is the major balding (I had a full head of hair back then. my dad went gray at 25 and starting balding at 35, I instead starting balding at 20~. bad trade). I don't even remember when it started except I kept pretending it wasn't happening until I just started getting buzz cuts all the time because it looked horrible otherwise

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    I'm 22 and could walk into a High School and pass as a student without anybody batting an eye, most likely. It's slightly frustrating right now, but I think in the long run I'll enjoy looking so much younger than I actually am.

My hairline is kinda receding and my joints snap crackle and pop a ton though.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    me bones pop and ache like 24/7 nowadays

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Oh the best thing about getting older is that massive pile of mistakes, bad decisions and missed opportunities you can look back on and feel shitty about whenever your mind isn't occupied.

PSN- AHermano