As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Decaying slowly from the brain down.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I'm surprised whenever anyone mentions their skills in video gaming have declined from their childhood

games that were insurmountable for me as a kid I can just obliterate in a couple hours nowadays

I think the bigger hands help

Games back then just had terrible fucking controls.

I remember when sega released the classic pack and had stuff like golden axe and altered beast in it. They were next to impossible to play.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Anytime someone pulls up the old THIS THING CAME OUT TWENTY YEARS AGO DON'T YOU FEEL OLD NOW YOU'RE GONNA DIE LOL thing I'm like, yeah, I guess? I guess it's weird that Rookie of the Year came out when I was like 12 and now I'm 28? I guess?

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    earliest game I remember playing in Super Mario Bros. 3

I always preferred playing Luigi because I liked his color scheme more

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Man you don't really see a lot of collect-a-thon 3D platformers anymore

I get that DK64 was a study in excess, but I miss Rare largely for Banjo and Conker more than anything else

that subgenre is dead and I spit on its grave

I completed Banjo Kazooie and I never need to collect anything ever again

• Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    my dad worries about me and the other kids as we grow older as he is 50. ma helps me in secret when she can, and kinda gets stressed out by a nearly thirty year old older brother and a brother of twenty years of age at their home, as my older brother supports his wife and two kids there

they all have full time jobs

its disheartening

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I'm surprised whenever anyone mentions their skills in video gaming have declined from their childhood

games that were insurmountable for me as a kid I can just obliterate in a couple hours nowadays

I think the bigger hands help

Dunning-Kruger effect

broken image link
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

I get that DK64 was a study in excess, but I miss Rare largely for Banjo and Conker more than anything else

Yeah I burned myself out pretty hard on that.

What I miss is 2D platformers.

There are still a few. But they don't have the budgets behind them like they used to (which is both good and bad!)

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I yearn for the day when Capcom pulls its head out of its ass and gives us a modern mega man x game with sprite-based graphics

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I've been sitting all afternoon right on the edge of an anxiety attack.

• Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    @Calamity Jane I like your posts and do not like that things are dark for you now. I don't know you super well, but keep the faith and come from a place of love. You are rad.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

I guess Super Mario 64 is still the best one - it was part of that subgenre but nobody ever thinks of it that way
    Blake T wrote: »

There are still a few. But they don't have the budgets behind them like they used to (which is both good and bad!)

2D platformers have been making a pretty strong comeback on the Wii/U and the indie scene for the past few years. They're actually healthier than 3D platformers right now

dN0T6ur.png
    SM64 is awful, I can't stand that game anymore

if it's not the camera it's the collecting used as a means for more collecting

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Also I'm 27 and I feel no direction towards any kind of career or job goal. Basically I just want 'a decent job that pays okay' and I feel weird that I've not nailed any specific career goal down.

Also I'm finding it increasingly difficult to concentrate on things which makes me wonder if I actually do have ADD or if I'm just making excuses.

• TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    I am terrified that I am becoming like my mother

And yet I should preface that with saying my mother is the most self-sacrificing, kindhearted, and patient person I have ever met

But we never got a whole lot of that growing up under her

You see, she has devoted her life to teaching disabled children

I am not talking about just your run of the mill, slightly delayed, but mostly ok high functioning autistic child you may have had in a class or two (with or without an aid) - I am talking about a child who is wheelchair bound, can not form words and can kind of use very limited sign language assuming they aren't currently having a seizure

The kind of kid that - occasionally - a parent has given up on

I spent many nights crying with her about the plight of her various students - but that is neither here nor there

And she works tirelessly

We are talking 12 hour days

As a result, she has spent all her patience and empathy at work - and I cannot blame her one bit

However, this meant at home she would be extremely quick to anger, overreaction, and meanness - I won't get into it in depth here

And I guess it took it's toll on me

I am so quick to anger, or an overly emotional reaction to something, sometimes with zero patience

I always regret this afterwards

I have been working both with friends and professionals in order to get my shit sorted, and it is working, but it is a slow process

I am stuck in this weird dichotomy where I both unconditionally love, respect and understand my mother but at the same time am terrified of turning into her - or at least, the version of her that came home from work

I stay awake at night sometimes based on how I have reacted to my girlfriend, and I just wish I could be better

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
    things were always shit but it wasnt like it was a conscious choice i made for myself, so i just adapt but i appreciate it

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD

I guess Super Mario 64 is still the best one - it was part of that subgenre but nobody ever thinks of it that way

2D platformers have been making a pretty strong comeback on the Wii/U and the indie scene for the past few years. They're actually healthier than 3D platformers right now

Yeah but the wiiU

i often do what my ma does in terms of whipping up a multi course meal out of nothing, so i feel ive inherited that

i still hate her penchant for making stroganoff and hamburger helper all the time, but eh

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

This is where we part ways forever

Yeah but the wiiU

Well I mean

The games are there

dN0T6ur.png
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I just want to be a good parent more than anything else. But also I'd like a job so that's not ALL I do. But to get a decent job means going to school and... Well, most mornings I really have to talk myself into going to class.

This is where we part ways forever

sorry, I just don't have the patience anymore for games whose only goal is engendering an arbitrary skillset in the player

I remember when video games were rare things to be seen in the wild.

Like, we had no money but would go down to the arcades and just watch other kids play. And when no one had any money (this was the more common scenario) we would just pretend to play the demos of stuff like excite bike and bubble bobble and the summer Olympics arcade games.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I have reproduced and while it did not make me feel old at the age of 24, the rapidity with which time now passes does. I am not sure if people without children experience the same affect as a by product of ageing or not, but having a kid has made time speed up in depressing ways. The biggest difference for me is noticing how different I am from my friends and family. I have a large circle of close childhood friends, 15 or so, and I find myself drifting apart from them. Also realizing that my parents are not just my parents but also people who are vastly different as people then they are as my parents. I am much less like them in many ways then I originally thought. Which is neither good nor bad since unlike a lot of people I have no qualms with inheriting some of parents personalities.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I remember when video games were rare things to be seen in the wild.

Like, we had no money but would go down to the arcades and just watch other kids play. And when no one had any money (this was the more common scenario) we would just pretend to play the demos of stuff like excite bike and bubble bobble and the summer Olympics arcade games.

Finding 20c on the ground in arcades was like the most exciting thing ever.

• the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    blake, you just reminded me of something... when i was a kid, my grandma would take my sis and i with her to the bowling alley and we'd play arcade games for hours. we would get prizes out of the claw machine, get burgers from the snack bar. i dunno, we just had such a good fuckin time. i don't think i will ever be that happy again.

also i'm just 29 and i've started losing my vision. i hate it. i hate it so much.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I've been balding since I was 18.

My knees feel like an old man's.

Every few months one of my hips will get all wonky for no apparent reason for a day or two.

My feet hurt all the time.

Also I have been on dialysis for kidney failure since 2007 and I can't lose enough weight to even consider a transplant.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    I'm now 33. I have a bad knee and a bad back. I somehow have a 10 year old and a 5 year old and Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam are on the classic rock station and GET OFF MY LAWN!

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Gatsby wrote: »
    There are kids for whom Halo is like their first FPS

Hi

No goldeneye? No PD?? No Quake????

That's cute.

Wolfenstein.

You and me, Blake.

You and me.
    Schutzstaffel!
    MEIN LEIBEN

I watched my dad beat the second episode because the giant room of Nazi zombies were kicking my eight-year-old ass.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    On a hunch, I looked in my old CD rack.

Two CDs filled with Apogee and Epic games.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Also, this morning I was lugging my daughter's project(a pumpkin decorated as Teddy Roosevelt!) to her class, and we passed a first or second grade boy wearing a COD Ghosts t-shirt. Am I old for thinking what the fuck?

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Today in class I was talking about my parents' cat (ha ha!), who is 18, and this girl in class said "Your parents' cat is as old as I am!"

I was like ohhh nooo

I had a cat that was nearly as old as I was and nearly lived to be 21 years old.

She died in my arms ;(

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    I am 6 years older than my uni classmates and they just don't get how I don't want to go out and get wrecked each night like they do. There's a big difference between 18 and 24 sometimes.

I know right? Adults stay in and get wrecked.

Then you don't have to pay £10 to get in a bar where your feet stick to the floor.

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    God

fuck cover charges

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    To be honest I've never been a club person though.

Same, I can't stand them any more

clubs are generally places I despise

I will occasionally go to gay clubs with friends because they tend not to be full of douchebags

wait really

typically, inner city bars fucking blow

really small bars, where people ignore smoking laws

the kind of bar you hire an old man to shoot an enemy, that sort

ill find the lounge for me, one day

chill music, no dancing, alcohol and maybe a designated hookah area

I can't stand clubs, but I've found plenty of bars/pubs I like

the one that let our friend just pull out her hookah and get it started for us was pretty neat

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Just saw a doctor a couple days ago who told me that, physically, I'm more or less significantly older than I should be, due ot my diabetes, because I don't really take good care of myself.

She also said that I have a window of (maybe) five years to get my shit together, or it's just going to escalate and pretty much everything is just going to hell very quickly.

I really needed that wake-up call, and have really wanted something to push me into getting off my ass, so that's something.

But still. I'm really scared. Getting old is really shitty. :(

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna be young forever.

My secret is I feed off of threads like these