As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NaNoWriMo is over, but the writing don't stop

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I also decided to use the Jim Butcher story skeleton format of
    *WHEN SOMETHING HAPPENS*, *YOUR PROTAGONIST* *PURSUES A GOAL*. But will he succeed when *ANTAGONIST PROVIDES OPPOSITION*?

I have this...

When a local crime lord's son is bitten by a werewolf, an alchemist in prohibition-ruled Indianapolis is tasked with brewing the only potion to reverse the transformation. But will he succeed with a federal agent on his trail, a mob boss looking to expand and a Rakshasa out for revenge?

Eh? Thoughts?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I've got a few characters, but no idea what to do with them. I guess they could go on a quest for something. The setting is very influenced by Gamma World, WH40k, Road Warrior and various Westerns.

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    What's a good kind of booze to have on hand for this? I'm thinking of doing a shot every 1000 words.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Bourbon, as Hemingway before you

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I'm originally using Jim beam's DEVIL'S CUT bourbon as prep but I need to find mead something Norse ish for actual writing

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    Also, since I'm writing a futuristic noir-ish thing, I feel like there should be Prohibition on something. My usual fallback of "when in doubt, add dinosaurs" doesn't work here, because Prohibition of dinosaurs actually kinda makes sense as a policy, and isn't all that oppressive.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am going to sit down tomorrow and smash all my planning so far into bits and stick it back together in the shape of a plot.

I swear I will have a plot outline from start to end, no matter how shitty, by the end of tomorrow.

I absolutely will not get distracted by kittens.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    What's a good kind of booze to have on hand for this? I'm thinking of doing a shot every 1000 words.

What kind of story are you writing?

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

Futuristic noir with superpowers, based on Greek myth.

So...absinthe, probably?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options

So...absinthe, probably?

Sour Green Apple Pucker

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

So...absinthe, probably?

dude, no

if you're going for greek myth, wine is the only answer. Bacchus isn't the god of green licorice drank.

• Options
    Bacchus is the god of getting DRUNK!

It doesn't matter the method or means.

Worship is worship.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    dang

if there was ever a time for me to bow to a noted expert on something

I concede

• Options
    edited October 2013
    My "crew" & I from college are meeting up this weekend at our university.

We will pay tribute to Bacchus.

We will touch the stars and let our spirits loose in the wild.

And very likely wake up lost, bruised and covered in vomit.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I was looking at the Fiction Generator that was linked in the Writers Block thread, and I have to say that I am intrigued by this one:
    Your title is: “The Astropunks”

In a coal-powered terraformed Mars, a young student of metaphysics stumbles across an arcane prophecy which spurs him into conflict with a charismatic politician on the rise, with the help of a sarcastic female techno-geek and her closet full of assault rifles, culminating in wish-fulfillment solutions to real-world problems

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    zonugal if somebody said "hey bacchus do you want to take some shots or do a cask stand" what would bacchus do first

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Let's talk about the Bacchanalia

Let's talk about some good old-fashioned ritualistic murder orgies

Bacchus were god of a lot more than just drinking

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    old-fashioned ritualistic murder orgies

Sounds like a party to me.

• Options
    zonugal if somebody said "hey bacchus do you want to take some shots or do a cask stand" what would bacchus do first

The shots.

You can down shots incredibly fast right before you get ready to jump on that cask.

• Options
    I will very likely have every single one of these this weekend.

bum+winees.png

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I'm getting, like, a pre-emptive secondhand hangover over here. Feel ill just contemplating that.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options

The shots.

You can down shots incredibly fast right before you get ready to jump on that cask.

This rhymes!
    Well, slant rhyme

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Going to be honest @Grey Ghost, I didn't even realize I had rhymed.

Now I feel grand!

Zonugal on
  • Options
    Now I feel grand!

I quite understand

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    smof wrote: »
    I am going to sit down tomorrow and smash all my planning so far into bits and stick it back together in the shape of a plot.

I swear I will have a plot outline from start to end, no matter how shitty, by the end of tomorrow.

@smof
    use your desire to look at kittens to fuel your writing fury!
    http://writtenkitten.net/

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Now I feel grand!

I quite understand

Anybody want a peanut?

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    I'm originally using Jim beam's DEVIL'S CUT bourbon as prep but I need to find mead something Norse ish for actual writing

MEAD! Do it, although I've only had it once and wasn't a fan.

The past two times I've done my best writing with rum and cider so that's probably what I'll do again, with some beer days thrown in because I like beer.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    hehehe

last year's NaNo novel began with shotgunning an entire margarita at the bar which was our hurricane "relief" center down the street during Sandy
    (they were one of the first places that got power back after that)

it produced some of my favorite most-likely-unusable Delta Sector content I have ever written, and oh god I went back and read it while I was still contemplating ReWriMo as a "revise lightly LOL" thing. And I still love that chapter so I'll have to make someone else cut it out for me when the time comes.

I don't want to cut it out on my own. ha.

• Options
    So I have nowhere to post this, so I'll do it here.

My apartment complex throws tiki parties in the summer and a Halloween party before taking a break for the entire year. So there are maybe four parties all year. My roommates and I have gotten the reputation as, "the party guys," from the apartment staff for how much we drink, socialize and generally improve these get togethers.

Well one of my roommates just informed me that on telling the apartment staff we wouldn't be able to attend this year's Halloween party they became very sad. And the apartment complex manager told my roommate that she was ready and willing to purchase a 1.75 liter sized bottle of Jägermeister just so we could facilitate Jager-bombs at the party.

It has happened, we are the party lords of this kingdom.

• Options
    so that's what the bro reaction button is for

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I will bathe in your bro reactions.

Bask in them.

Bed myself in them.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    November is such a bad month for this.

The XCOM expansion comes out, Doctor Who 50th, the next Hobbit movie, my Mother-in-Law's birthday, my brithday, Christmas shopping, and at least 2 if not 3 releases to get through testing.

Why couldn't they pick a shit month when nothing happens? November is busy. It's always fucking busy. The holiday season is like right there. November is already a gorram trainwreck. Why couldn't they pick something useless, like June. Nothing ever happens in June.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    But it's national NOVel writing month! Let's see you try to come up with something half as clever if you want to change months, mister

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    "I MAY or May Not Write 50,000 Words This Month"
    "I'm APRehensive [sic] About Putting My Writing Skills To The Test Month"

they just don't roll off the tongue so well

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The March to 50k?

MarToFiMo

• Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    November is such a bad month for this.

The XCOM expansion comes out, Doctor Who 50th, the next Hobbit movie, my Mother-in-Law's birthday, my brithday, Christmas shopping, and at least 2 if not 3 releases to get through testing.

Why couldn't they pick a shit month when nothing happens? November is busy. It's always fucking busy. The holiday season is like right there. November is already a gorram trainwreck. Why couldn't they pick something useless, like June. Nothing ever happens in June.

The way I see it: if you can get through a busy month like November with 50,000 words under your belt, you're proving you could do it anytime, under any circumstances

• Options
    Also November is when it starts to get really cold and shitty out. Nobody wants to be stuck at their computer in June when it's sunny.

And don't give me that "it's Summer over here in November" nonsense. That is preposterous.

• Options
    smof wrote: »

Update: I totally got distracted by kittens.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    A new video game in November is what you can use for motivation. Write the words and then you can play the game. I do that with CoD, it's only mildly successful, but it's never really CoD that messes me up.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    this is the year I attempt this