As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Boston Travel/Transportation

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    komi from what I have heard concerts will be over by 12 midnight this year so you should not have to worry. As far as taxi's there are always taxi's around but putting a few numbers in your phone just in case is never a bad idea.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    PAX is over at midnight on friday and saturday nights this year, for those thinking about transportation concerns.

• sfford2008sfford2008 Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Tanjin90 wrote: »
    I can not stress how good of an option this is, avg daily parking in Boston is $40 a night. Also if your military you may contact the coast guard station and ask what their over night policy is for the weekends. I know you can day park there fri-sun.

Also for those Military people, you can take the T for free with your Military ID. My friend does it all the time when he is home on leave. You just need to talk to one of the security people in the subway near the turnstiles.

sfford2008 on
  • TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    I live and drive every day in NYC, Boston really isnt that bad and the parking looks equally as horrible.

Be careful with cabbies, last year I noticed some of them not turning their meter on late at night and trying to charge me some random number, again ive taken plenty of cabs in NYC and know they cant pull stuff like that. Call them on it or tell them youll get out the cab.

• mahshahmahshah Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    PAX is over at midnight on friday and saturday nights this year, for those thinking about transportation concerns.

Woah, really? Like they're going to be throwing people out of the convention center at midnight? Was the transportation the main reason for this?

Man, that probably means fewer acts at the concerts, too...

mahshah wrote: »

Woah, really? Like they're going to be throwing people out of the convention center at midnight? Was the transportation the main reason for this?

Nah, they had the same number of acts per night at prime as they always do, same length of sets, got done by midnight. I believe the main reason for it at prime (and probably at east) is staff schedules and overworked enforcers versus how few people are actually in the con after midnight. That's just my guess though, not official info.

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular

Nah, they had the same number of acts per night at prime as they always do, same length of sets, got done by midnight. I believe the main reason for it at prime (and probably at east) is staff schedules and overworked enforcers versus how few people are actually in the con after midnight. That's just my guess though, not official info.

Damn, last year we stayed by the bar in the convention center drinking and playing cards against humanity until it closed.

• TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    ishtra wrote: »
    Since we're doing costumes we'll be driving in. Hoping to pack the car so parking at the hotel doesn't hurt so much. Love the idea of taking the hotel shuttle to stops near restaurants and thanks Kilonum for the cab #. Could totally have used it last year.
    for https://hailocab.com/boston are the rates similar to or the same as other standard cabs?

Boston's taxi rates can be found here.

I'm not sure on Hailo specifically, but I know Uber is fairly pricy comparatively though VERY convenient and the cars are nice (for their Black car service, that is)

Edit: Googled the Hailo rates and they seem to be good:
    Hailo wrote:
    What does it cost to get a taxi with Hailo in Boston?

Hailo offers great value to passengers here in Boston. A passenger pays just 99 cents per ride for access to the Hailo network of drivers.

During peak times, Hailo charges $1.99. You will be alerted to this peak charge by a notification that appears below 'Hail Taxi' on the 'Pick Me Up Now' screen.

This pricing structure allows us to maintain equilibrium between drivers and passengers during different hours of the day.
    When are our peak rates charged?

Monday - Friday 7am - 10am; 4pm - 8pm, and Friday/Saturday nights 10pm - 3am.

Temig on
    JQ1qRPt.png
  • mahshahmahshah Registered User regular
    edited October 2013

Phew, I love the concerts and it would be a shame if they cut down on them. Hope the bands later in the lineup don't lose out on after-concert merch sales too much though (I have way too many Protomen t-shirts bought during after-concert hype at PAX).

mahshah on
  • KomiKomi Registered User regular
    So... if PAX ends at midnight this year, that would mean I should be able to catch the shuttles, right? I can't remember the exact shuttle times off the top of my head.

-PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]In awe that my 30 minute badge window prediction was pretty close to accurate.
    [x]Badge (HOLYCRAPIGOTA4DAY!)
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
    The shuttles always are available at the end of PAX. The last shuttles were at something like 3am last year. They will probably adjust to be closer to the midnight pax closing for this year.

• KomiKomi Registered User regular
    The shuttles always are available at the end of PAX. The last shuttles were at something like 3am last year. They will probably adjust to be closer to the midnight pax closing for this year.
    ...Wait. What. ...I feel like a grand idiot right now. Crap. Maybe we left early because we wanted to beat the rush or something. Good to know. Thanks!

-PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]In awe that my 30 minute badge window prediction was pretty close to accurate.
    [x]Badge (HOLYCRAPIGOTA4DAY!)
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • stebuustebuu Crabs are fucking crazy, and I hate horses Registered User regular
    The BCEC valet parking is shockingly "reasonable"... it was $25 for the day last year. Considering how the BCEC self-parking fills up instantly via quantum entanglement, and what parking prices are like everywhere else, it is a decent alternative for those who are commuting a fair distance (if you're driving in from 1+ hours away, the extra half hour+ hassle of alternative parking adds up)

• PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    I can't remember, where did Shuttles board last year at East? Was it level 1 on the east side of the building?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Level 0/Exhibit Level, actually. Level 1 is where the main entrance is.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    how full are the shuttles ussally like do you have to catch one of the 1st 1 or 2 to make sure you dont have to take a taxi or chould you stay for all the concerts and be safe.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Komi wrote: »
    A fair question here. This time around I'm going with the idea of bring extra money for cab fare since I want to hang out at the convention center late into the night (or see the concerts to their fullest, had to leave before Paul and Storm last year and I am sad.). Will I be able to get a ride via something like Uber or Hailo around the times of 1am/2am? I'd hate to depend on it only to find out I'm screwed.
    Keep in mind that South Station is a 10 minutes walk from the BCEC, and there are tons of cabs around there. Also consider that because bars close between 1 & 2 am, you'll have to fight (not literally) for cabs with the bar crowd. Luckily, most of the clubs are not in the South Station area. If you're not having luck with cabs there, head closer towards the bars and they'll be everywhere.

My assumption is that the Westin should have the ability to hail you a cab as well.

Does anyone know of a map that shows the location of cab queues? I know they've put more in over last couple of years, but those looking for cabs may find such a map to be helpful.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    Boston.com just released this, and it might help with those needing cabs. I cannot vouch for everything, but it is helpful:
    List of Cab Stands (Queues) in Boston Proper
    Boston.com's 10 Tips for Getting a Cab

• KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    BPD also allows the cabbies to queue either in front of the BCEC or the Westin Waterfront during PAX East due to how big it is.

JfqWFk8.png
    edited November 2013
    So, now that passes for PAX East 2014 are sold out, and I was lucky enough to snag a few for the first time in years (Friday and Sunday), I thought it was only fair that I do my part to help people coming to PAX this year, especially those coming for the first time. I am a native of the Greater Boston area, and I've been planning obsessively for how I am going to get to and from PAX - I know the entire transit system like the back of my hand. While the MBTA may not be as confusing as systems in other cities (I'm looking at you, London) it can be very intimidating for someone unfamiliar with it. I will be covering how to get to PAX based on plane travel, train from the south, and train from the north - from the perspective of Bostonians, "north" refers to Maine and Canada.
    First, a note: your ultimate destination as a waypoint to get to PAX is South Station. South Station is essentially Boston's equivalent of Grand Central, and is only a 5 to 10 minute walk to the BCEC. However, due to the convention taking place in early April, you may opt for an even shorter taxi ride. South Station offers plenty of food, ranging from the quality of McDonald's to an Au Bon Paine. There are also various newsstands. You may want to consider using South Station as a jumping point to get to PAX, your hotel, or to anything else in Boston you want to see.

FLYING IN
    If you live so far away from Boston that a plane is the only logical way to get there, you may want to take a few moments prior to your flight in order to understand the layout of Boston Logan International Airport - its complexity rivals that of the entire transit system, and explaining the layout of the airport would be another thread in and of itself. That being said, once you've obtained your luggage and (hopefully) your bearings, you're going to want to look for signs that point to the MBTA or, as we call it, the "T" - the logo is literally a solid black T on a white square. The Airport subway station is not on the grounds of the airport; however, the Department of Transportation has regular shuttles between the terminals of the airport and the station. Once you get to the station, you'll want to get on a Blue Line train headed for Bowdoin. Get off the train at State, and proceed to the Orange Line platform. From there, get on an Orange Line train headed for Forest Hills, and get off one stop later at Downtown Crossing. Finally, switch to the Red Line and get on a train headed for Braintree. Take it one stop forward, and get off at South Station.

TRAIN FROM THE NORTH
    You will most likely come in to North Station, which is (appropriately) in the northern part of the city. From North Station, take an Orange Line train headed for Forest Hills to Downtown Crossing, and from there take a Red Line Braintree train to South Station.

TRAIN FROM THE SOUTH
    95% of trains from "south" of Boston come into South Station to begin with, but if you're in that other 5%, you may end up in this not-so-nice place called Back Bay. In all honesty, the station is pretty nice, but for our purposes, it is not where we want to be. From Back Bay, there are two ways to South Station: the expensive and nice way, or the slightly cheaper and slightly less nice way. The "nice" way is grabbing a Commuter Rail schedule (that's the local surface rail) and figuring out when a train will come along to take you to South Station. Because Back Bay and South Station are in Transit Zone 1A, fare should only be $2 (careful though! - the price is higher if you buy the ticket on board!). The Commuter Rail is a nice option if you just want a nice, quiet, warm ride just to collect yourself for maybe ten minutes before entering the chaos that is South Station. In fact, the Commuter Rail trains are probably quieter and smoother than the Amtrak or Acela train you took in the first place! The "less than nice" way is to get on an Orange Line train headed for Oak Grove, and get off at Downtown Crossing. From Downtown Crossing, switch to a Red Line train headed for Braintree, and then get off at South Station.

THE LAYOUT OF SOUTH STATION, AND GETTING FROM THERE TO BCEC
    As I said earlier, South Station is Boston's equivalent of Grand Central. However, it's about a million times less chaotic and, if you happen to live in NYC and are familiar with Grand Central, will probably be a breath of fresh air. There are plenty of seats and tables, and as I said earlier, newsstands and various kiosks dot the mezzanine floor. The mezzanine and food court is shaped almost like a funnel, with the wide end opening to the Commuter Rail and Amtrak platforms, and the narrow end leading to a single exit. Assuming you're facing the wide end, most of the food establishments will be in a cluster at the rightmost edge of the mezzanine; the leftmost edge has ticket kiosks and various information booths, both about the MBTA and about Boston. The exit at the narrow end opens up to Summer Street. Summer Street is a fairly busy street, so it's important to be careful and exercise any and all street safety precautions. However, MassDOT has been kind enough to provide us with some sidewalks. To get to BCEC, you're gonna need to turn right onto Summer Street and.....walk. Literally, just walk. You should cross a bridge over the water within 100 to 200 yards, and to the left at the far end of the bridge should be the Boston Children's Museum, recognizable by a giant freaking Hood milk bottle. Just keep walking, and eventually BCEC will tower over you on the right. Look up some pictures of it - you literally cannot miss it. Because Boston is pretty popular with tourists, taxi and bus drivers have an uncanny knowledge of where a lot of things are. So, if you end up in (increasingly) likely scenario that April in Boston is cold, dark, and snowy, simply hail a cab and let them know you're heading to "BCEC". DO NOT JUST SAY "THE CONVENTION CENTER"!! If you hail the cab on Summer Street, they'll probably know what you mean, but it's easier to specify because Boston has so many convention centers. I have no knowledge of any bus or shuttle routes from South Station to BCEC, but if they exist, by all means use them.
    If we end up with a warm, sunny, and lovely April in Boston, the walk to BCEC is actually rather pleasant.

OTHER IMPORTANT TIPS
    To make sure your experience of getting around Boston is just as enjoyable as the convention itself, here are some helpful tips that I did not include above:
    -Boston has some pretty spectacular rush hours - spectacularly awful. The MBTA runs subway trains every 9 minutes instead of every 15 minutes during peak times, which are 7 to 10AM and 4-7ishPM. For those of you taking the Red Line, be sure to look for cars that are labelled "Big Red High Capacity Car." These cars have considerably fewer seats than other cars, but can accommodate many more people and (hopefully) their videogame-related luggage.
    -It saddens me that I have to say this, but FOR THE LOVE OF ROBERT KHOO BE POLITE AND RESPECTFUL. It just takes one jerk on a train to ruin EVERYONE's day; do not be that jerk. You could easily wind up in the arms of the Transit Police at the next stop, not to mention giving all of the other PAXers in the system a reputation of being jerks. If you were lucky enough to get a seat, be prepared to give it up for people who are disabled, elderly, sick, pregnant, those with children or strollers, or those with heavy bags or luggage. There is no specific ritual to do this; you don't even need to say anything. Just politely smile, and get up. The world will thank you.
    -South Station can be full of scuzzy people, particularly in the evening and early morning. If someone who looks suspicious comes up and asks for money to "buy a train ticket", your first reaction should be, naturally, suspicion. Of course, if you have two or three dollars to spare, you can be a good little noodle and hand it over if you really really want to. Otherwise, politely say "I don't have any money" or "I'm sorry; I can't." Usually, this will make them leave you alone. If they continue harassing you, though, or if they turn aggressive or hostile, find a Transit Police officer or even some random employee. They'll fix the problem, and the people sitting around you in the mezzanine will probably be thankful.
    -If you're from out of town, and people begin asking you questions about where you're from or why you're here, tell them! I mean, if they look creepy and stalker-ish, don't tell them and try to go find a Transit Police officer - but if they look nice enough, they are nice enough! We Bostonians take genuine interest in tourists, so feel free to brag about how you flew in from Alaska and how you killed a polar bear with nothing but a stick and a beer bottle. We'll be happy to listen.
    -All MBTA stations have a full map of the entire system, so if you get confused or if you want to get to a tourist attraction that you looked up online, just look for the map or ask an employee!

Well, that about settles it. Also, if you will need any of this information in the future, MAKE SURE YOU REMEMBER THIS THREAD!!!!!
    If you have any specific questions about this topic or about Boston in general prior to PAX, feel free to shoot me a message; I'll help you out as best I can.

I'll try to put out some other relevant help threads as PAX approaches.
    Ok, time to go have a heart attack from anticipation.

~Inscrutable~
    So we already have a transportation thread... but since the existing one doesn't really have anything in terms of an OP, I'm going to merge the other one into this one and have this as a new OP.

In general though, @InscrutableGamer please try to find appropriate existing threads for subjects before posting new ones. We have a lot of active topics going already.

zerzhul on
  • grayfawkesgrayfawkes Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    h Station as a jumping point to get to PAX, your hotel, or to anything else in Boston you want to see.

FLYING IN
    If you live so far away from Boston that a plane is the only logical way to get there, you may want to take a few moments prior to your flight in order to understand the layout of Boston Logan International Airport - its complexity rivals that of the entire transit system, and explaining the layout of the airport would be another thread in and of itself. That being said, once you've obtained your luggage and (hopefully) your bearings, you're going to want to look for signs that point to the MBTA or, as we call it, the "T" - the logo is literally a solid black T on a white square. The Airport subway station is not on the grounds of the airport; however, the Department of Transportation has regular shuttles between the terminals of the airport and the station. Once you get to the station, you'll want to get on a Blue Line train headed for Bowdoin. Get off the train at State, and proceed to the Orange Line platform. From there, get on an Orange Line train headed for Forest Hills, and get off one stop later at Downtown Crossing. Finally, switch to the Red Line and get on a train headed for Braintree. Take it one stop forward, and get off at South Station.
    ~Inscrutable~

I'd like to add that if you're staying at one of the "big three" (Westin, Seaport, or Renaissance) it's as easy as jumping on the Silver Line bus right out side the airport doors (Also it's free from the airport, but you have to pay for the way back iirc) and getting off at the World Trade Center Station. That puts you like a minute away from the Seaport, and like 5 minutes away from the other 2.

grayfawkes on
    PAX East 2015:
    3 Single Day Passes [x]
    Hotel [x]
    Flights [x]
    Packed []
    Excitement[x]
    ————————————
    PAX East 12'
    PAX East 13'
    PAX East 14'
    PAX East 15'
  • ryand0818ryand0818 Registered User regular
    Hey Guys, Thank you so much for this thread. Great advice. This is my first PAX and parking is like my number one stresser right not in my planning. I am driving up from the Philadelphia area and I am trying to find a place to park my car on Wednesday and then pick it up on Monday when I leave. Hotel is out of the question (Staying at Hilton Downtown) due to how expensive it is per night. My thought was to either park it at the long term parking at the air port or to park at a station outside of the city with long term parking and take the train in. My only concern with the train is: 1. if I'm allowed to take my luggage on it? 2. Is there a station that has safe/secure parking and is reliably not going to be full when I get there?

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Especially in terms of stations to park at (I did read the initial post, but if anyone could elaborate anymore that would be awesome)

Thanks!

the silver line (the bus/underground line that runs from the airport into the city) definitely has luggage space if you decide to park at the airport. Coming from the south, that sounds like a decent idea to me. I'm not a local though so you will probably get better information once someone else posts :)

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I would check the maximum per day fee for long term parking verses the hotel parking before you jump on that.

UPDATE: Based on the website, the economy lot is $18 per day with the others at $27. So it is probably cheaper than hotel (which is likely in the $30 to $35 range).

aBByNormaL on
    PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • imnotalawyerimnotalawyer Registered User regular
    For those of you who are going to be relying on public transportation I strongly recommend downloading the smart phone app HopStop, which is essentially a mapquest type app for public transportation (includes most major cities).

faPgNTD
  • ryand0818ryand0818 Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice guys. The hotel I am staying at (Hilton Downtown) is over 40 bucks a night for parking so I am definitely not going to be parking my car there. I am leaning towards parking at the airport especially if the silver line accommodates for luggage. I know it would be much cheaper to park at an outer train lot, but I was wondering about other peoples experiences with doing that and how convenient or annoying it was for the cost.

• SkrepoSkrepo Registered User regular
    The Governor just said that there will be late night bus/subway/light rail service starting in the spring. They will be running to 2:30am on Fri. and Sat. No start date was annouced though...

edited December 2013
    Skrepo wrote: »
    The Governor just said that there will be late night bus/subway/light rail service starting in the spring. They will be running to 2:30am on Fri. and Sat. No start date was annouced though...
    I was just about to ask "What constitutes Spring?" In all honesty, plan that the late service will not be offered. If it does, it'll be like two fortunes in one cookie. If it doesn't, it's not like you were counting on it.

Le_Goat on
  • LevelUpLadyLevelUpLady Registered User regular
    Thank you for all the information! I wasn't worried once I got to my hotel but I was definitely stressing about getting from the airport to my hotel.

• zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    We're getting close to PAX time and I can't get it off of my mind! I recently updated my travel plans and made the decision to fly instead of drive, so I got a closer hotel and decided I'm going to use the transit system instead of driving. I've heard good things about Boston's systems, but I'm unsure how some of them interact with one another and I had a few questions.

My hotel is Hyatt Boston Harbor, right next to the airport and a nearby ferry. I will be in town for a week and I read somewhere that you can get a weekly transit pass. Is this worth it or does it not cover some things? I know buses are included. How about the subway system? Are ferries a part of it as well? Does the ferry near my hotel go to multiple locations on a regular schedule, or should I plan to take a different route to the convention center? Would taking cabs be a better idea? I'm not opposed to spending a bit more if it saves time, but I don't want to go overboard with transportation costs.

Also, some non-transportation questions.. the area around the BCEC looks mostly parking lot-ish. Are there any fast food or quick table service places anywhere near there? How long of a walk if not? I don't mind spending a premium on food, but with the amount of us there, I don't want to spend a long time each day trying to eat, so popping into a mcdonald's to get a quick bite would be my preference. Is there nightlife anywhere in the area? If not, how far to get there?

Also, and least importantly, I want to do some non-PAX touristy things while I'm there. What are some can't-miss places within public transit range? money is not much of an issue here.. I'll pay to check out some really cool stuff, but I want to make sure I spend my time "wisely". If it's kinda meh and takes all day to get there and back, I'd rather save it for a later trip! I do intend to spend a day or so just wandering to see what I come across as well.

Thanks for any help and advice! Can't wait to see everyone there!

dgiab0m7h15x.png

edited February 2014
    I merged your thread into the transportation thread we already have, but we also have a thread about boston food stuff (on the first page I believe) so that might be a better spot for those questions. There's also a whole thread about "stuff to do in boston that's not pax." I know it can seem like a lot sometimes, but please try to scan the first few pages worth of threads for threads on your topic before making new ones :)

zerzhul on
    I merged your thread into the transportation thread we already have, but we also have a thread about boston food stuff (on the first page I believe) so that might be a better spot for those questions. There's also a whole thread about "stuff to do in boston that's not pax." I know it can seem like a lot sometimes, but please try to scan the first few pages worth of threads for threads on your topic before making new ones :)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Zerzhul! I didn't look back far enough for the transit thread, and while I was writing that out I started thinking about food and whatnot too. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do!

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• sfford2008sfford2008 Registered User regular
    zeale wrote: »
    We're getting close to PAX time and I can't get it off of my mind! I recently updated my travel plans and made the decision to fly instead of drive, so I got a closer hotel and decided I'm going to use the transit system instead of driving. I've heard good things about Boston's systems, but I'm unsure how some of them interact with one another and I had a few questions.

My hotel is Hyatt Boston Harbor, right next to the airport and a nearby ferry. I will be in town for a week and I read somewhere that you can get a weekly transit pass. Is this worth it or does it not cover some things? I know buses are included. How about the subway system? Are ferries a part of it as well? Does the ferry near my hotel go to multiple locations on a regular schedule, or should I plan to take a different route to the convention center? Would taking cabs be a better idea? I'm not opposed to spending a bit more if it saves time, but I don't want to go overboard with transportation costs.

I believe the transit pass for a week (7 days) covers all forms of transportation for $18. I would check out www.mbta.com for any information regarding public transportation in Boston. Here is the link specifically for the passes.

If you plan on using public transportation a lot it is definitely worth it. Each fair is $2.50 (unless you have a reloadable charlie card which lowers the fair to $2.00), so either way if you use only the subway 8 times, the card pays for itself. I have not used the ferry before, but I took a look at the site and it looks like a single fair is $3.00, so the 7 day pass would be a great deal for you. I would keep in mind the ferry schedule as well since I believe the last one runs before 12am. There is talks of the public transportation potentially running until 2am in April sometime, but I wouldn't count on it if it is late.

Just some information for you. Check out the website for all the details.

• VGVideoGalaxyVGVideoGalaxy Northern VirginiaRegistered User regular
    What are your opinions regarding Uber? Is it better/less scammy than regular cabs? Is it worth it over regular cabs?

I love Uber. Never used it in Boston though. I find it a far better experience than regular cabs.

edited February 2014
    Okee doke. Here's one of my areas of expertise *cracks knuckles* I lived in East Boston (near Airport and Maverick T stops) for over 4 years, so let me explain a few things you are going to want to know about that area, and I'll also answer your questions.

First off, the T-Pass. A week pass is totally worth it and covers ferries, buses, and the subway. Since you will be here for a week, you'll be exploring a lot, which means getting on the T, getting off the T, getting back on the T, etc. You could easily blow through a bunch of money without one of those unlimited passes. At $18, it's less than $3 a day (totally a steal).

While I have never taken the ferry, keep in mind that it will be April in New England. That means that it could be pretty cold still, and considering how things have been lately I think that is quite possible. Traveling across the harbor by boat during the winter just doesn't seem fun to me. I know April isn't winter, but it's New England so it may still feel like it. Just keep that in mind. I could be wrong, but I think that the ferry you are talking about will only take you to the Aquarium (see below).

Cabs... Look, here's the run-down about cabbies and Eastie: they hate going there and you will begin to fear asking them. You'll find that most will drive away if you even begin to say "East Boston." The problem is that East Boston is free to enter, but you have a toll to leave. Since cabs are a business, they have to pay more per toll because it is a commercial vehicle (I believe it's $5 for commercial, $3.50 for normals, $0.75 for Eastie residents). While it is 100% illegal for a cabbie to charge you for the toll, it happens and most won't even hear you out unless you explicitly state that you are going to pay for the toll and still tip. You can easily spend $25 on a cab from South Station to Eastie. It sucks, but that is how things work. Trust me on this, as I have had numerous arguments with cabbies over this crap.

Here is your best bet, in my opinion. Your hotel should have free shuttle service to take you to and pick you up from the Airport T station. Go there and take the blue line to Government Center. Jump on the green line to to Park Street, then jump on the red line to South Station. If the weather permits, you could even get off the blue line at the Aquarium stop and walk to South Station (about 10 minutes). Regardless, I highly recommend avoiding cabs like the plague if you are staying in East Boston. It's not too bad if you are taking it from the airport to your hotel in Boston, but constant trips back and forth will bankrupt you and cause a ton of stress.

Also, if you take a cab from the airport to your hotel in East Boston, make sure you inform them of a quick trip/pass ticket (I could be wrong on what it's called; haven't done it in years). The police will let him/her jump to the front of the line when they return, but only if it is a trip locally in the area. Hope some of this helps you.

Lastly, while not related to transportation, East Boston has some FANTASTIC food. My diamond in the rough: Kelly Square Pub. Amazing food, low price, freaking fantastic club BLT.
    *steps down from soapbox*

Le_Goat on
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Here is your best bet, in my opinion. Your hotel should have free shuttle service to take you to and pick you up from the Airport T station. Go there and take the blue line to Government Center. Jump on the green line to to Park Street, then jump on the red line to South Station. If the weather permits, you could even get off the blue line at the Aquarium stop and walk to South Station (about 10 minutes). Regardless, I highly recommend avoiding cabs like the plague if you are staying in East Boston. It's not too bad if you are taking it from the airport to your hotel in Boston, but constant trips back and forth will bankrupt you and cause a ton of stress.

That was a ton of great information, thank you very much! It sounds like I'll be pretty much avoiding cabs as it doesn't sound worth the hassle versus just taking the transit system. You mentioned blue, green and red lines which all appear to be subway, so it sounds like buses are not going to be the best option, at least to/from the convention. Thanks so much for the help! PS, I'm going to totally visit Kelly Square Pub.

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    In Boston Lyft is a great way to get around too. Pay right from your phone what you think they deserve (app provides suggested amount based on travel distance) but they will pick you up from wherever you specify from your phone. It's really great and drivers are really friendly. Suggested fee's are probably slightly higher than a taxi would be but it is pay what you feel is right and also has some pretty great conveniences.

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
    That was a ton of great information, thank you very much! It sounds like I'll be pretty much avoiding cabs as it doesn't sound worth the hassle versus just taking the transit system. You mentioned blue, green and red lines which all appear to be subway, so it sounds like buses are not going to be the best option, at least to/from the convention. Thanks so much for the help! PS, I'm going to totally visit Kelly Square Pub.
    There is the Silver Line, which runs from the airport to South Station. I've never taken it, so hopefully someone else here can better answer that question for you.

• GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    There is the Silver Line, which runs from the airport to South Station. I've never taken it, so hopefully someone else here can better answer that question for you.

Silver line goes directly from the airport to the World Trade Center/Seaport stop, which is a very short walk to BCEC.