As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Decaying slowly from the brain down.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I would be pretty happy if I could be more like my dad, honestly.

He's not perfect but I'm pretty sure he's better than I am.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Delayed reaction to the TF2 talk.. I remember playing TF in high school LAN parties. (Aside: Remember those? There was always one person who could never get his PC working until just before the first mum came and it was time to pack up.).

It's kinda funny for me to see people reminisce about arcade games. I never lived close enough to one to really get into arcade games, yet now I have my arcade gaming coffee table. I thought I might go exploring through the MAME set on there, but I tend to get lost and slightly overwhelmed and just put Street Fighter 2 on. Any suggestions for good 2 player arcade games? Or modern stuff, there's a decent PC in there. It plays SF4 just fine.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Good 2 player arcade games?
    Final Fight!

oh! my car...

I do have the Streets Of Rage Remake that combines all three SoR/BK games into one slice of awesomeness on there, so there's that.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    My right shoulder has somewhat healed back to its original state from years past. My right knee is not longer shot. My hearing has repaired itself over time, somehow, and my vision isn't degrading like I thought it would be at this point in my life.

Basically, this job that keeps me so physically active seems to be having a bit of a Wolverine Effect on me.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    My mother is constantly concerned about my father turning into his father, but I'm fairly confident I have been vigilant enough to prevent a parallel fate for myself. We'll see.

h982C046A

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Also I can read faster than I used to be able to. That's weird.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My brother is turning into my dad so quickly it's hilarious. He was in denial about it for ages but now he's bought a house I think he's just decided to embrace it.

Like my dad is a neat freak. He jokes that he has OCD but I think he's just super anal. One time when I was living with my brother he came home from work and walked into the lounge where I was, and before even saying hi he noticed a wonky picture frame and crossed the room to straighten it. I found myself shouting "You've become dad!" in a kind of bemused horror and he just fled the room.

• FalxFalx Registered User regular
    I remember installing quake shareware and shitting my pants at the graphics.

I also remember a friend giving me his (pirated) copy of Mortal Kombat 2... on 12 floppies packaged in .rar files.

I remember Sound Blaster... and how we couldn't afford it so my dad made what amounted to an extra internal speaker that just made things really loud you could activate by flipping a big 'ol switch he installed directly onto the casing. It was baller.

I got my first spanking for swearing because of Alley Cat when I was three. Stupid Cat. Why won't you jump right?

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I vaguely remember that Alley Cat game.

Like, very vaguely. We had it on our 286.

It was a Packard Bell. It had 1MB of RAM, 2 5.25" floppy drives, and a 20MB hard disk. Oh, and yeah, a Turbo button on the front that would increase the clock speed from 8Mhz to 12Mhz.

I remember years later when my brother and I opened it up. This was after we'd started building our machines. Perhaps the biggest marvel to us, at least for the moment before we realized why, is that the CPU didn't have a heatsink, much less a fan.

I think I have our old 286 processor around somewhere. It went from 10 to 16 Mhz, from memory. My dad tried to install Windows 3.0 on it, but it didn't work. It was the set with the big fat book and the mouse all in the box. That box with all the stuff in it served as my door stop for about a year and a half.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I do believe the very first computer game I ever played was either The Oregon Trail, Out of This World, or Alone in the Dark. I can't recall which.

Possibly Commander Keen.

Also I remember when the internet first became a thing.

RT800 on
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Oh man

Well, 2 days ago I did my back pulling on my wetsuit for the first dive of the season.

The other week at work I put my lunch on the veranda and my boots in my fridge

I yelled, 'ya damn kids!!' At a group of teenagers riding skateboard dangerously on the road

God help me, I'm 25

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    i'm VERY different to my parents in a huge amount of ways

and I think, I've felt more mature then tha both of em since I was 18.

They're great though, in 'er own way

Oh I got a bung knee and a bad back too

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Jesus
    I leaned my head all the way back just now and the sound my neck made is best described as crunchy

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Tef wrote: »
    Oh man

Well, 2 days ago I did my back pulling on my wetsuit for the first dive of the season.

I yelled, 'ya damn kids!!' At a group of teenagers riding skateboard dangerously on the road

God help me, I'm 25

This is hilarious. Though in Australia I would imagine refrigerated boots would be quite nice.

I have a couple of times put the milk in the cupboard and the kettle in the fridge after making my morning coffee.

My dad once lost his glasses and later my mum found them in the fridge. Which... I don't even know how that happens.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    smof wrote: »
    Tef wrote: »
    Oh man

God help me, I'm 25

This is hilarious. Though in Australia I would imagine refrigerated boots would be quite nice.

I have a couple of times put the milk in the cupboard and the kettle in the fridge after making my morning coffee.

My dad once lost his glasses and later my mum found them in the fridge. Which... I don't even know how that happens.

Normally yeah but it was the middle of winter! It got down to 10c!!!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I was born in 1979. I can remember as a little kid seeing the local department store just starting to stock color TVs. We used to have to rent a giant VCR from the grocery store if we wanted to watch a movie. I was a little kid living in West Germany when the USSR collapsed and the village we lived in got flooded with immigrants/refugees. Clair Danes in My So Called Life was my first red-headed crush. I never got to use the internet until I joined the army and got sent to Korea. I almost died from anthrax in Korea. Now I'm 34, got discs in my spine that are empty of fluid, repeated injuries to both knees, nerve compression down my left leg(I call it my slow leg, it's harder to move and doesn't get quit the proper amount of bloodflow, and has lowered tactile sensation), I've had multiple surgeries near my right hip so the nerves there are all janky, I have trouble staying under 215lbs no matter how much I work out when ten years ago I was 170lbs and ripped, I sometimes have to yank out these weird extra long & thick hairs from my eyebrows that are black (I'm a redhead) and I have trouble sometimes telling old stories because I'll forget what year it happened in or what country or state I was living in at the time.

I'm not going bald though, I don't need bifocals yet, I'm generally happy and I'm in a great relationship. So.. hell yeah mid-30s?

Weaver on
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    signing up for new insurance and I was just on the phone for yet another time because they wanted to ask me the same questions again about my health. i have a shining medical history with one little exception

apparently being a kid who had ADHD in grade school sends up ALL SORTS OF RED FLAGS. we just had to do a conference call to track down my medical history from the last doctor i randomly went to in fucking february.

christ.

ETqXK.png
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    being 28 and looking about 21 has its good sides and its bad sides

but fuck im starting to get dodgy knees, tremors etc

i could just be unfit but

• Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    I only notice getting older by the people around me also growing older.

Many of my friends have big families and late-born siblings. For example, when I met a dear friend of mine his little sister was 17.

So, I knew a bright-as-the-sun intelligent 17 year old girl, and all her amazing friends. They thought I was mature and kind.

Then they turned 18, and then 19, and so on, and now they're done with college.

And they still think I'm a good person - someone to come to for advice, and solace, and hope.

That's when I realized I was getting older, and why I love it.

I've become a good person, because people - wonderful, hopeful, world-changing people - think I'm someone to rely on.

For the young people around me, I'm glad I'm getting older and being fucking virtuous.

first ever game i played was proooobably super mario bros on my uncles snes in 1985

yeah im unoriginal

edited October 2013
    When I was I think four, a friend of mine down the road had an atari with whatever that old tank game was

Weaver on
    Beasteh wrote: »
    first ever game i played was proooobably super mario bros on my uncles snes in 1985

yeah im unoriginal

the NES didn't get a US release until 1985. The snes came out in 1990

• FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    i played some egg game on some tape based p.o.s

Super_Mario_Bros._box.png

Not a double cartridge with duck hunt? WHAT

FAQ wrote: »
    i played some egg game on some tape based p.o.s

The artillery battery I was with at Ft. Lewis in 2003, our supply ordering computer still used ancient tape cassetes

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i can no longer put both feet behind my head at the same time

p.sad

yeah im unoriginal

Weren't you born in 1985?

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i can no longer put both feet behind my head at the same time

p.sad

That's terrible

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    first game i played was duck hunt when i was like... 2. or 3.

first game i played where i actually knew what the fuck was going on was Biker Mice from Mars aww yeahhhhhhh

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I just tried and I can't either! :(

My housemate has just had a temper tantrum via text because I asked her to "hey, could you clean the kitchen please? Thanks!" (the task she chose for the roster that she was supposed to do two days ago) because a while ago she said I need to remind her because she forgets. Apparently my being polite is really annoying. It was so close to stop telling me what to do mum!! Urgh! I hate you!

smof wrote: »

yeah im unoriginal

Weren't you born in 1985?

yes but i was picking things up and bashing them by the end of the year

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

My housemate has just had a temper tantrum via text because I asked her to "hey, could you clean the kitchen please? Thanks!" (the task she chose for the roster that she was supposed to do two days ago) because a while ago she said I need to remind her because she forgets. Apparently my being polite is really annoying. It was so close to stop telling me what to do mum!! Urgh! I hate you!

At this point I'd be hiding cheese in her room

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »

At this point I'd be hiding cheese in her room

Thats what my boyfriend said! He said "put all her dirty kitchen things in her room" but alas, it is locked!

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Does she have a car?

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    I can do one leg but not both.

I also skate dangerously close to the joint locking when I do that.

easysig2.jpg