As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help with Linux Distros

Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful ThinkingParagon City, RIRegistered User regular
edited October 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi everyone! It's time for my yearly post.

Simply put, I'm looking for the shiniest, bling-filled, and gratuitous transparency Linux distribution and/or Desktop Manager out there.

I've Googled, Binged, even DuckDuckGoed, but no one else on the Internet seems to want the same thing I do - a Linux desktop that would make Windows Vista blush and needs 512MB of local video RAM to even render.

I have a new high-end PC and I want a bloated sack of a desktop to go along with it... as long as it's not a Windows flavor (I'll be dual-booting). What are my best options for a Linux version of the entire Stardock Software library?

I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
Great Scott on

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You're probably going to have to stick with gnome/cinnamon because I don't think there's anything that quite fits that bill.

Any of the distros should support it, I'd stick with the unbuntu/debian flavors just because of the ease of setting up the environment.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    GENTOO

the answer is any linux distribution supports that kind of crap. the only question is how much handiwork do you want to do

TBH I have not seen any turnkey linux distro that actually looks like the kind of crazy linux glamour shots that you are likely thinking of

that only comes from days/weeks of environment setup and configuration

but it sounds to me like you want to feel like you're in the Matrix, so I would just research how to install Gentoo, and learn Linux the hardest way possible: having to build your own kernel

if you can do that (without killing anyone in the process), setting up your desktop will be a breeze

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    GENTOO

the answer is any linux distribution supports that kind of crap. the only question is how much handiwork do you want to do

TBH I have not seen any turnkey linux distro that actually looks like the kind of crazy linux glamour shots that you are likely thinking of

that only comes from days/weeks of environment setup and configuration

but it sounds to me like you want to feel like you're in the Matrix, so I would just research how to install Gentoo, and learn Linux the hardest way possible: having to build your own kernel

if you can do that (without killing anyone in the process), setting up your desktop will be a breeze
    I once embarked on it, and I felt like the linux kernel was working a scanners number on my brain. That being said. I would consider Opensuse. It's pretty if you've got the horsepower. I've heard the newest Fedora also looks pretty.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Potentially NSFW some wallpapers are handbras and such.
    http://linuxmint-art.org/index.php?xcontentmode=9x14x100&PHPSESSID=1439a21eb236d6cb59354e01f3f69f34

has some themes and stuff you cna browse through. I remember in not looking too bad when I installed it a couple years back.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Sounds like you want Cinnamon Desktop Environment. It comes as the default on Mint. I personally prefer as minimalist as possible while still functional so I use tint2 and openbox

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    I've never played with Cinnamon, but isn't that just a newer/better Gnome?

From what everyone is saying it looks like I'll need to roll my own obnoxious desktop.

I'm familiar with Windows hacking, but not Mint. What software will I need to aquire?

I assume that I'll need individual packages for the mouse cursor, the window manager, and such. If Cinnamon is anything like Gnome2 the desktop will simply be a static image.... Or is there a animated desktop program for it?

I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Yeah Cinnamon is a fork from Gnome 2.x because the creators of Linux Mint didn't like the direction they were going with Gnome 3, so they started Cinnamon to achieve their goals of making linux purdy. I'm assuming your best bet would be to start with that and then might have to start picking and choosing desktop managers and window managers based on whatever specifics you want from them. Unfortunately I can't offer any advice on where to look for specific parts, but I'm sure there's got to be a background manager that handles video or animation.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN