As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Decaying slowly from the brain down.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    'fraid not!

One day she will grow up I'd like to think. But not today!!

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    First game I played would have been something I barely remember on either a BBC Micro or a Master System.

I am pretty sure we had Elite for the Micro, and some zelda/RPG type thing on the Master System, along with Sonic and such.

Related though, at one point in my life i would have reacted with something equally rude in the texts, but I just sighed, shook my head and laughed.

I am have become An Adult.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    fond memories of sitting on the amiga at my cousins house playing lemmings

I HOPE FOR YOUR SAKE YOU NUKED THAT LEVEL

no i am just 5

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    First game I ever played was Asteroids on an Atari 2600, followed shortly by Dogfight on an Apple IIe

I am old

first game i ever played was Don't Starve in the Great Freeze of 1895

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    First video game I ever played was Pong.

When I was really young, my parents had a television that you could switch from TV to Pong.

It was actually pretty cool.

• WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    I remember played Resident Evil 2 on the N64 and not really knowing or understanding that games existed to scare you, and damn near shitting my pants over those stupid dogs in the window. I think I screamed and threw the controller down?

I also have a great memory of watching my dad run through Ocarina of Time. He got stuck on the second to last boss, where you have to shoot arrows at Ganon while he stands in a pillar or something. Anyway, I borrowed a friend at school's Prima Guide and figured out how to beat him, and he came home to me just getting Ganon into his monster form, freaked out, and cheered me on while I finished the game. To celebrate, we went out and immediately bought Majora's Mask and got pizza.

i wish my dad hadn't always viewed games as Evil Things that Stunt Your Growth

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    My parents got me a Game Boy for my 6th birthday
    My first two games were Tetris 2 and Link's Awakening

Dad bought my sister and I My Little Pony when I was about six as my first game, I remember watching him play Doom and being really scared of it!

He's a good dad.

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    First game I ever played was Asteroids on an Atari 2600, followed shortly by Dogfight on an Apple IIe

I am old

My first game was "combat" on the 2600 followed closely by "street racer"

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    My parents got me a Game Boy for my 6th birthday
    My first two games were Tetris 2 and Link's Awakening

hell yes, same

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    For a little while my family had like three or four old-ass laptops hooked up to a network with our main slightly less ass computer; one needed a separate keyboard, one needed a separate monitor, one wasn't missing any particular parts so that was the one we had propped up on a milk crate next to my brother's bed in the tiny room we shared. We played Doom and Duke Nukem 3d on that LAN, me, my older brother, my little sister, and our parents. Good times.

My mother never quite got the hang of moving and aiming as two separate tasks, but I did get a LAN game of Doom 3 set up for us when it came out for old times' sake.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I never actually beat Link's Awakening but it set me up early as a Zelda dude for life

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    My old man has a picture of me at six weeks old sitting in his lap "playing" Super Mario Bros., but I've told that story

I cannot get a foot behind my head. Damn near all I can do it touch it to my scalp. I guess I need to take my wife up on that yoga class offer

dN0T6ur.png
  • wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    I think my first game was either Donkey Kong or Zaxxon on a ColecoVision (which had to have won some sort of award for terrible controller design) that I won at an elementary school fun night or some such. Games were kind of a pain to find so it was just a lot of those two. The day I found the Atari 2600 adapter was like a revelation.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    An on the subject of aging, I'm thinking I may not let my hair grow all the way back to it's full jew-fro length, because the hair on top of my head is starting to get thinner. Combine that with the bike helmet I wear to work most days and I end up with hair relatively flat on top and hella puffy on the sides and I look like a clown.

We had a good run, giant hideous white guy fro, we had a good run.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I never actually beat Link's Awakening but it set me up early as a Zelda dude for life

When I beat Link's Awakening, I was very sad.

So I stole my brother's copy of Metroid II.

Then I was staggeringly angry.
    one fucking goddamn metroid left where the shit is that little bastard jesus I've seen this same goddamn vertical shaft 30 times where the fuck is that little fuck I swear to god

Narbus on
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    feeling old and alone

good thing I have alcohol

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    I've kept my hair buzzed for the past 7 years until earlier this year. Only to find out my hair is thinning and receding. Something I just didn't notice when I kept it buzzed.

I've always had crippling hangovers after I drink. I've recently realized that is what has kept me from being an abusive alcoholic like my father and his father before him. I used to get frustrated at the severity of my hangovers. Now, I am thankful.

I used to tell myself that I would never join the military. But when I was 20 and feeling a bit lost I joined the Navy on a whim and became a submariner.

When I was going through sub school after basic, I decided to call my grandmother. After I told her I was up in Groton, CT going to sub school, she mentioned that my father and uncles were born there. That kinda took me by surprise, realizing that I never before knew where my dad was born.

So I asked her what they were doing in CT, talking about how Groton is such a boring town, etc.

Turns out my grandfather was a submariner.

I had no idea. And that's how I blindly stumbled into my grandfathers foot steps.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    My dad's method of keeping me from playing my Game Boy too much: putting it on a high shelf where I couldn't reach it.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    First game I recall playing was River Raid for the Atari 2600.

I feel like I'm going in reverse. When I was a child, I had seemingly infinite patience. I took myself really seriously, and I don't just mean during angsty teenage years. I flat refused to ever try dancing, for instance. Everything I did was "by the book" -- didn't have alcohol until 21, no sex or drugs as a teen. I hated going out, especially to bars or clubs, and complained throughout the 90s (roughly my teenage decade) that all of today's music sucked.

Now that I've hit my third decade, I've all but developed ADHD. Drinking and dancing are great fun, even though I'm still figuring out the most basics of the latter, and going out is terrific. I take myself much less seriously and avoid unnecessary acquisition of responsibility (including remaining childless). I'm going through a lot of basic self-discovery and social ability acquisition that you're typically supposed to do in your teenage years, only at roughly twice the expected age. I drive as fast as I think I can get away with (where I used to stick tightly to the speed limit). I listen to brand new music (which, honestly, is a lot better than 90s music anyway).

Growing up is a trap. It's never too late for childhood.

Still hate kids though. That's staying a constant.

Also pretty sure I'll never be much of anything like my parents. Not the least bit sad about this.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    the first game I owned was Sonic 2 that game with the Genesis my uncle bought me. that was the only console and game I owned until my dad picked up a Saturn at a garage sale in '99. it had Daytona, I think.

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    So it seems that in my family the likelyhood of suffering panic attacks increases with age. And here I was thinking that the only thing my mom lacked was will power. Then after my first several panic attacks landed me in the emergency room I found out that not only my mother suffered from them but so did my uncles, my grandfather and great grandmother. Now I've been on Paxil for 2 years and much more stable now, but no longer will I assume that people on drugs are somehow "weak."

Ohhhh the foolishness of youth... (EDIT: Of course my grandfather and great grandmother medicated themselves with alcohol, so luckily modern medicine will help save me from ruining my liver.)

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    The weirdest part about getting older is watching your parents turn into old people (if you're lucky enough to have them around anyway). Which probably sounds kind of "duh," but when you don't see them regularly, then one day they show up and Dad somehow turned into an old man. That's... I don't know. Weird.

• HammerHorrorHammerHorror Registered User regular
    Getting back to Wolfenstein, are we talking Wolfenstein 3D or Wolfenstein?
    I've played both, you know.
    /hipsterglasses

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    I have titties

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    go on

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    :winky:

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    go on

not the good kind

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    go on

not the good kind

Mine are the good kind.

:winky:

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »

When I beat Link's Awakening, I was very sad.

So I stole my brother's copy of Metroid II.

Then I was staggeringly angry.
    one fucking goddamn metroid left where the shit is that little bastard jesus I've seen this same goddamn vertical shaft 30 times where the fuck is that little fuck I swear to god

I beat that without help or advice when I was like twelve

I went and played it again a few months ago and I am shocked that I had the patience to memorize the whole game

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Getting back to Wolfenstein, are we talking Wolfenstein 3D or Wolfenstein?
    I've played both, you know.
    /hipsterglasses

Ahem.

You're talking to someone that owned Castle Wolfenstein, Beyond Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein 3D, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and Wolfenstein.

/regularoldcokebottlebadeyesightglasses

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Real Wolfenstein fans would also have owned Spear of Destiny

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Not gonna lie, I'm enjoying growing older. I don't understand kids today. Teenagers are at best disgusting and at worst frightening. I look Hell of good in a cardigan with my greying beard.

Finally, I'm who I was meant to be.

Fuck off and die.
    The weirdest part about getting older is watching your parents turn into old people (if you're lucky enough to have them around anyway). Which probably sounds kind of "duh," but when you don't see them regularly, then one day they show up and Dad somehow turned into an old man. That's... I don't know. Weird.

my dad is ever so slowly morphing into an old man and it is terrifying

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I don't know what the first game I ever played was. Something on the Amiga 500.

There is one game I must have played when I was 3 or 4 which I have been trying to find again for years, just to remember what it was called. I can't remember it well enough to describe it, but I reckon I'd recognise if I saw screenshots of it.

I remember I used to load it up and just leave it on the menu because I loved the title music, and my mum would get really irritated and shout at me to turn it off.

Good times.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    As I age I am determined not to lose the ability to see the world the way I did when I was a teenager and child. Teens especially catch a ton of shit for doing stuff that the same people did when they were teens. I do not want to be that person.

First game was Sonic on the Genesis. My brother was two or three and did not realize that the controller he was holding was not plugged in.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    My grandfather bought me my first console, the N64. He took me to a place in Chinatown that he'd been to before that sold cheap electronics, and they had a bunch of Nintendo stuff in stock.

So little 5 year old Gatsby was giddy and bouncing around, hugging my grandfather's legs every five seconds. And then came time to choose the game to come with the console. He talked with the clerk and held out three options to me: Yoshi's Island, Snowboard Kids, and Diddy Kong Racing. Being a dumb kid I couldn't pick! I barely knew how to say stuff! Also even at such an early age my family had kinda instilled this idea of being thankful and residual guilt over big presents. So I couldn't decide and told him so.

He just nodded, said something to the clerk in Cantonese, haggled for about 5 minutes, and then they handed my mum a huge plastic bag bulging at the seams. My mum was chiding my grandfather over something as we left the store and he just kept smiling and ruffling my hair.

Then when I got home I found out he had bought not only the console and a single game, but all three and an extra controller.

I still have that thing and those games and those controllers. I don't think I'll ever throw them out.