As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer crashes when gaming... Halp!

Running Windows 7 64 bit. About a month ago I started noticing my computer was crashing/then restarting whenever I would play a game that had a demand for graphics (Guild Wars 2, WoW etc). I thought maybe it was my drivers so I reinstalled everything, it seemed to fine. Then about a week ago it started again.

I pulled up a program to measure the temp of my graphics card (should have done this originally but the reinstall seemed to fix it) and it was going from 30-92 in a matter of seconds. This was happening quite often over and over and when it hit 92, it would crash. So I went online and saw that the Asus 7950 card had a design flaw, and a simple fix of putting rubber washers behind the screws of the heatsink would fix it. I did as instructed and now my temperature stays really low (40-50). However, my computer is STILL crashing when I open up a graphic intensive game, it only takes 2-5 seconds and CRASH.

Could the GPU chip be fried from it reaching such a high temp numerous times and this could be what's crashing it? I've tested the PSU with a multimeter (it was fine), ran a CPU overclock (it was fine), tested the RAM (fine). The computer stays totally stable until I open up WoW or GW2 and then it crashes. Before I order a whole new GPU (and spend $400), I want to rule everything out.

Thank you.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    It sounds a lot like the card may indeed be fried. How much tinkering have you done with the card? Have you inspected it for any apparent heat related damage? Are the cooling fans spoolin up correctly? Is the heatsink clogged with dust?

And just in case the card is dead never fear, there's no need to spend $400, $250 will get you a GTX760 which is about dead even with your 7950.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    CheerfulGeekCheerfulGeek Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for the response Chris. I removed the heatsink, removed the thermal paste on it and put new paste on. I blew out the fans for any clogged dust. I also spun them with my fingers to see if there was any resistance and there wasn't. The odd thing is before when it would overheat, it would take about 15 seconds to crash, now it's almost instant with no overheating. As soon as the graphics pop up it crashes instantly.

As far as buying a new graphics card, I'm torn in between waiting for next month with the R9 release or getting one now. I'm assuming Nvidia's cards are going to drop when it comes out and so are ATI's.

CheerfulGeek on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I personally wouldn'y buy an R9 290x. Way too hot, and very noisy.

• Options
    CheerfulGeekCheerfulGeek Registered User regular
    Good advice! I'm most likely going to get a 780. Just waiting for price drops. :)