As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-PAX East Philadelphia meet up

• mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    Its actually June 14-16th but if I am able to get off of work one of those days I'd be down to go and meet up with some peeps.

• GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    It's right around the corner from me so I'll definitely be at TooManyGames.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • darknecrodarknecro Registered User new member
    edited July 2013
    I'll live in Philadelphia for education but I always thought of going to pax there so this is great news

darknecro on
  • darknecrodarknecro Registered User new member
    the barcade sounds good

• Weary TravelerWeary Traveler PortlandRegistered User regular
    I live in Portland, OR now, but am a native Philadelphian. I'm trying to go to East next year, and if I do, I will probably goto Philly first to see friends and family. It would be great to meetup with some PAX peeps as well!

Pin Trades:2x Full Prime Core Sets, Core Set 2012, Chandra East, CTS Gabe (2013), Zombie Tycho(2013), Merch(2012 or 2013), Prime Kemper, Pigglesworth, Pinny Arcade Logo(2013), Hanna
    Pin Needs:Tabletop Tycho, Pax East Kemper, Pax East Logo, Aus Core Set
  • gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Ricin linked to this thread from one that was
    Started in the pax east section, so I think there will be more activity soon. I would go to a pre-pax meetup. I am up in the Mt. Airy area, so about 20 minutes to downtown. Perhaps Redcape's would let us meet at the store. They
    Have a good game library, and there is good pizza to be had close by. The downside is that I'm not sure they would like us bringing portables or our own board games. I have many board games I could bring--favorites include Dominion, Forbidden Island, Small World Underground.

• mmpiemmpie Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    gonexall wrote: »
    Ricin linked to this thread from one that was
    Started in the pax east section, so I think there will be more activity soon. I would go to a pre-pax meetup. I am up in the Mt. Airy area, so about 20 minutes to downtown. Perhaps Redcape's would let us meet at the store. They
    Have a good game library, and there is good pizza to be had close by. The downside is that I'm not sure they would like us bringing portables or our own board games. I have many board games I could bring--favorites include Dominion, Forbidden Island, Small World Underground.

Count me in if there's a Philly meetup. I've really been wanting to check out Redcap's, but I'm also down for something else. I heard The HeadHouse is game-friendly too :) (if a meetup would be better at a restaurant)

I love Forbidden Island!

mmpie on
    PAX East 2014. Let's go.

I mostly tweet about food
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I'm always around if we arrange anything. I can bring my full ass copy of Sentinels of the Multiverse as well.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    I just looked up the HeadHouse and it looks great, but a little more difficult for me to get to. I think we should try to find some place that is close to public transportation. Redcap's Corner is right on the Green Line and a 10 minute walk from 30th street station.

However, I'm not sure about Redcap's because so many people seem willing to bring their own (awesome) games. I just think it should be easy for people to get to by train/trolley/subway.

• RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I moved to the Philly area (Wyncote) about two months ago. I don't know anything about the area and haven't actually made it into the city yet except for a music festival a few weeks back. But I'm totally in for any sort of meetup. I've got a decent collection of games I could bring too. A few that haven't been mentioned: Smallworld (original), Pandemic, Mage Knights, King of Tokyo, War on Terror, more Dominion expansions, Penny-Arcade: Gamers vs Evil (and expansion).

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    I just looked up the HeadHouse and it looks great, but a little more difficult for me to get to. I think we should try to find some place that is close to public transportation. Redcap's Corner is right on the Green Line and a 10 minute walk from 30th street station.

However, I'm not sure about Redcap's because so many people seem willing to bring their own (awesome) games. I just think it should be easy for people to get to by train/trolley/subway.

I go to headhouse pretty frequently and while I know it's a pretty cool place to hang out, it definitely is a no go if the plan for the meetup is on a Saturday night.

I'm not sure if we should use this thread or the one in the pax east section to plan the meet-up. Any guidance on this would be appreciated. I am inclined to say this is better discussed in the pax east thread because it will be getting so much traffic now that we have purchased our passes. I just do not want to Mia anyone who is only checking one thread. Should one of them be closed?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2013
    For at-pax gatherings, please make threads in the appropriate pax section :) I think this is pretty obvious that it's pre/post pax, not at-pax.

zerzhul on
    OK. I did a little asking around. Redcap's could host a group of us on thier normal open board game night, which isTuesday nights. Let me know if there is enough interest in an upcoming Tuesday to meet there and play the board games on offer.

Another option would be the Iron Hill in Chestnut Hill, at the corner of Germantown and Gravers. There might be potential for a meet-up on weekday night or on the weekend during the day (Friday and Saturday nights are not doable because of the crowd). The nice things about Iron Hill are that it is close to the Chestnut Hill West Gravers stop on the regional rail line, there is a good amount of free parking in the rear (though it still gets full sometimes), and it could make for a nice visit to the area (Chestnut Hill is fund place to walk around, especially if we do this at lunchtime on Saturday or Sunday).

Do either of these seem interesting or doable? Please let me know your thoughts!

I'll be paying better attention to this thread and forum now that the passes and all were sold. I live in the Downingtown area, and will soon be starting work in the city. So I'll be up for gatherings.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    Iron Hill Brewery is nice, I live maybe 5 minutes from there.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    Iron Hill would work for me. I was just there the other weekend for the Harry Potter barcrawl. Redcap's it doable too but further away so it'd take a bit more planning to get there.

I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • APacManAPacMan Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I would be up for a get together at Iron Hill or Redcaps. I used to live near Chestnut Hill, and love the Iron Hill Brewery. Never been to Redcaps, but I've heard its a fun place. I'm free most weeknights and weekends with a couple days notice.

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

Twitter: @APacManSays
  • DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    I'm hoping for a weekend gathering since it would be tough to drive down on a weekday. Iron Hill looks nicely accessible, to boot.

"I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

Steam: delaney_a

• Kiss Me GoodByeKiss Me GoodBye Registered User regular
    If any of ya'll have nothing to do Thursday night (Halloween), come by the reddit Philadelphia group's Halloween Party in the Curtis Center/Cooperage - Wine & Whiskey Bar! There are some PAXers that are going and it'll be a night of fun and drinks. They have awesome food and the reddit Philly group is full of awesome people. We'd love for you to come out! If you do, look for me, I'll be a Bee.

For more info
    RSVP here!

SQUID
    PAX EAST 2011 * 2012 * 2013 *2014 *2015 *2016 | PAX PRIME 2013| PAX UNPLUGGED 2017
    If any of ya'll have nothing to do Thursday night (Halloween), come by the reddit Philadelphia group's Halloween Party in the Curtis Center/Cooperage - Wine & Whiskey Bar! There are some PAXers that are going and it'll be a night of fun and drinks. They have awesome food and the reddit Philly group is full of awesome people. We'd love for you to come out! If you do, look for me, I'll be a Bee.

For more info
    RSVP here!

Just RSVP'd. I'll be the pirate in the vest swiped from my Booker DeWitt cosplay ;-)

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

Sweet! Have fun! 70 have RSVP'd so far!

SQUID
    PAX EAST 2011 * 2012 * 2013 *2014 *2015 *2016 | PAX PRIME 2013| PAX UNPLUGGED 2017
    edited November 2013
    If any of ya'll would ever like to meet up on a weekly basis, the Philly reddit crew meets downtown, not far from Independence Hall.

On the First Thursday of the Month, we'll be meeting all night (5pm-?) at Cooperage Wine & Whiskey bar (In the Curtis Center on 7th & Walnut), with extended happy hour. (We're always in the back of coop on the right).

For all other Thursdays, we'll meet at Las Vegas Lounge (7th & Chestnut) starting at 7:30pm. Why 7:30pm? A number of us still hit Coop for their happy hour before heading to LVL. (Note: Coop has awesome food.)

I won't be there next Thursday (11/7) because I'm going to a concert but I'm there all other Thursdays. If you can't seem to find us, ask a waitress where the reddit group is. They know us well. Or look for the rather bearded man, Simon.

The reddit crew is pretty awesome. Not really any uptight people (there's like one). Everyone is usually pretty welcoming and fun. A handful of us are going to PAX as well ^_^

Note: If you come by 5pm you might be a bit early. By 6 there's a small handful and by the time we get to LVL there's about 10 of us usually.

Kiss Me GoodBye on
    SQUID
    How many people would be into a Saturday meet-up for lunch or snacks and boardgames at Iron Hill? For a more relaxed vibe but no Beer, there is also the chestnut hill coffee company or Starbucks, both of which are close. At Iron Hill, I get the sense that we would not be welcome when the Saturday dinner crowds start showing up, if anyone thinks that would be an issue.

• EagleAlphaXEagleAlphaX New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    A large portion of my guild is coming to visit the Philly area the following weekend (Nov. 15-17). I might be able to convince them to do something with fellow PAXers.
    By guild, I mean my friends that I normally hang out with/play video games with.

EagleAlphaX on
    wjxmaepqs9k1.png
    Oh wow, I actually need to be paying attention to this thing.

I just started a job this week in the city, so I doubt I'll be up for anything this week. However, I got myself the monthly trailpass thing that should open up all forms of public transportation in the city, so I'll likely be more willing to try stuff in the city on the weekdays (like that Reddit meetup!).

As for this weekend, my roommate and I are planning a matinee showing for Thor, so pretty much a no go for me.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    edited November 2013
    Also, if anyone is interested in LARPing. My friends run a few Vampire the Masquerade games in the Drexel/NJ area.

For more info: http://www.mindseyephilly.com/

I typically attend the Sabbat and Camarilla games. They're getting me into the other games still. (Just say Nikki/Squid sent you!)

Here is a weird video of us acting out the story of Caine for Sabbat - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO6R4r5B4g4

Kiss Me GoodBye on
    SQUID
    The reddit group sounds great, and I hope to make it to one at some point. There are also a lot of folks who seem to like the idea of meeting at the Iron Hill Brewery. Should we try to find a date that works? What about the 23rd?

The reddit group sounds great, and I hope to make it to one at some point. There are also a lot of folks who seem to like the idea of meeting at the Iron Hill Brewery. Should we try to find a date that works? What about the 23rd?

It'd be good to go ahead and start trying to actually set something, though it may be a difficult time of year for it. I know by the weekend of the 23rd, I'll be slammed wrapping up enough work, catching up on chores, and packing for Thanksgiving. I kind of like the 7th since we'll be past Thanksgiving but only in the early throes of Christmas frenzy.

"I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

I'm going to the Reddit meetups regularly now, and would love to see more PAX-ers there. I've yet to meet anyone in this crowd with whom I wasn't able to strike up a conversation. If you consider coming (which I recommend) take into consideration the regular responsibilities when a fair amount of alcohol moving around the table.

I'd be up for a meetup on the 23rd at Iron Hill or Redcaps. My dice (not unlike myself) are ready to roll.

I could make the 23rd as well, but a theoretical post-thanksgiving date would most likely also be fine.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Sorry to do this, but I can no longer make it on the 23rd (nothing I could prevent, a death in the family is taking me out of town), but this should not stop others. December 7th or 14th are good for me, though.

Please note that Redcap only wants meet-ups meeting there on their official game night, which is Tuesday. So, if we do a Saturday, it would have to be Iron Hill or a coffee shop (I suggested the Chestnut Hill Coffee Company). If it's the Iron Hill, they would want us out by the dinner rush, and a few of us would have to get there early to stake out some table in front (they will not reserve a spot for us, but I have been walking past there and checking out for weeks, and there always seems to be plenty of room on Saturdays around 2 p.m.).

Sorry to do this, but I can no longer make it on the 23rd (nothing I could prevent, a death in the family is taking me out of town), but this should not stop others. December 7th or 14th are good for me, though.

Please note that Redcap only wants meet-ups meeting there on their official game night, which is Tuesday. So, if we do a Saturday, it would have to be Iron Hill or a coffee shop (I suggested the Chestnut Hill Coffee Company). If it's the Iron Hill, they would want us out by the dinner rush, and a few of us would have to get there early to stake out some table in front (they will not reserve a spot for us, but I have been walking past there and checking out for weeks, and there always seems to be plenty of room on Saturdays around 2 p.m.).

My condolences on your loss.

As far as the meetup, I originally preferred the 7th from the start and so would be happy with that day, but I don't know how others would feel. With regard to the venue, I know nothing about the area, but Chestnut Hill doesn't seem to have much in the way of food outside of sweets/snacks and according to the Yelp page, they close at 6:00 p.m. anyway. That doesn't seem too much later than when Iron Hill would want us out of the way.

Thanks, Delaney. It looks like we have had some trouble getting this meet-up going, so I am going to plan to go to the board game meet-up that is happening at Cosi downtown (1720 Walnut St, Philadelphia, PA) at 1:00 this Saturday, December 7. I have not yet registered for the official meet-up site, so I might just crash the meet-up, unless I find time to create and account. Hopefully, some of you can join me and there will already be board gamers there.

I would be up/down/sideways for some boardgaming at Cosi. What's the official meet-up site for that?

-Adam

APacMan wrote: »
    I would be up/down/sideways for some boardgaming at Cosi. What's the official meet-up site for that?

-Adam

Here is the link:
    http://www.meetup.com/Philly-Loves-Boardgames/

It's the third one down the list. I've never been to it before, but figure it's worth a shot. I'm not sure we will get enough people without using the "crutch" of a meet-up like this. It seems that there is a regular lull in the forums from Mid-November to Mid-January.

I forgot I'm GM'ing a DeadSpace RPG session this Saturday, also starting at 1. I don't think I'll make it to Cosi =/

Likewise, my D&D group that meets as is possible now has a session scheduled Saturday for the first time in six weeks. I am still interested in the meetup idea, though.

I attended the meet-up at Cosi downtown this Saturday (see link above). I think this might be a good place for us to try to meet. The group is big and the people I met were cool. Cosi is very accommodating, and and they start at 1 p.m. and play games to 6 or 7 pm and beyond (many people went out for Dim Sum after. I did not). If we planned a Saturday to join this Meet-Up, anyone who showed up would be able to play games and have a great time, no matter how many or few of us made it. Maybe the second or third Saturday on January??

Sounds good to me.