As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Decaying slowly from the brain down.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yoiur Dad's awesome, but then again, so are you. So, I don't think you need to worry, Ben.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I've always quietly worried about my grandfather's rather... "coincidental" prejudices and habits.

He's German.
    Collects and reads a lot of WWI&II memorabilia and literature.
    Has a rather icy demeanour towards Greeks and Jews.
    Always seemed to be a little more warm and friendly to me than to my brother. (I'm blond haired and blue eyed while my bro is brown and brown)

It only usually shows after he's had a few drinks, but... yeah.

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I've always quietly worried about my grandfather's rather... "coincidental" prejudices and habits.

He's German.
    Collects and reads a lot of WWI&II memorabilia and literature.
    Has a rather icy demeanour towards Greeks and Jews.
    Always seemed to be a little more warm and friendly to me than to my brother. (I'm blond haired and blue eyed while my bro is brown and brown)

It only usually shows after he's had a few drinks, but... yeah.
    1x6_Charlie_in_Nazi_outfit.png

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    getting to where i am versus where i was is why my mannerisms, habits and demeanor bother people if exposed long enough

in that world, these people usually beat the shit out of one another drunkenly, and would do idiot drunken challenges as tests of hillbilly courage

we would jump and run over huge bonfires already raging and in progress

we would shoot clay dangerously while idiotically drunk

liver destroying keg stands and literal dick waving contests where people would get sad and compliment my dick in sad voices

im pretty sure ive got the family's biggest dick. the terrifying part of this that has me pushing my fingers into my eyes is, ive seen most of my male family's dicks

rural michigan was like some sort of soy bean field laden mos eisley, with internalized misogyny, racism and disgusting poor hating other poor people. a good portion of these people don't know much beyond a sixth grade education, and that's being forgiving. literally every bit of these years has been washing that off of me and trying undo it. my doctor said i'd be crying a lot, and to be ready for it. it can be terrible and unsettling

i felt it a welcome change, like being able to articulate what you couldnt before. i was kicked and beaten into the mold and you know, kinda scared into silence about what i know now as something that was stuffed deep down into the subconscious

I also had to go through a transition of sorts, after graduating high school and moving in with my Mom full-time instead of every other weekend.

Spoilered for length.
    Living with my Dad, alone, for seven years (Save every other weekend with mom), had some effects on me to say the least.

It certainly did nothing to make me more active and outdoors, and I've spent the vast majority of my free time since those days living in my room. Mostly quiet, except when I get mad at video games. :P

It was a while before I stopped feeling the need to lie about things all the time to my Mom, because unlike my Dad, there was no reason to assume she'd lose her shit if I happened to catch her at the wrong time.

It also took a while for me to really understand that it was okay to just... ask if she could help me out with getting things, instead of just taking them without asking. I was borderline klepto for years, partially because he just didn't give two shits about anything I wanted a lot of the time and I eventually just gave up trying to get anything by asking.

Another big step, probably one of the biggest

I had to learn to stop being angry at myself over every dang thing I did wrong. Dad trained that into me something fierce, and it made me terrified to try anything if there wasn't a 100% certainty that I would succeed at it.

I also didn't learn about my Aspergers until I was 18, just months before I moved out. Adjusting to that took a lot of time, too. Learning all the nuance of interacting with people; eye contact, body language, hand movements or lack thereof, posture, tone of voice, choice of wording, etc. I basically had to learn it all trial by error.

Then there was that whole writing stint I went through that started in 2006 when I got a comic idea that led to me deciding to go back to school, which led to me deciding to get back on medication so I could manage said school, which led to me discovering musical talent, which... well, that was one of the biggest breakthroughs I've ever had in my life, and I'm pretty happy about that.

There was also that confrontation I had with my Dad where I tried to talk to him and basically got the finger. So I gave him a much MUCH bigger finger and never looked back. I won't go into that here, but you can find that story elsewhere if you look around. Also check that link I posted earlier to a post I made in the bully thread, that should have it if you're really interested.

One huge part, that has helped me SO much in making peace with myself was just.. learning how to laugh at myself. To not take myself too seriously. After living with Dad and his (mostly) verbal abuse for so long made it really hard to feel good about anything without some negative shit poking at me in the back of my head, but I eventually learned to just not care so much and hvae a laugh at how silly and dumb I can be, and it was just a hugely liberating thing for me.

And a big part of that is all because of you guys. You guys are great.

Just.. thanks for being awesome.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Used to be able to take a pee without worrying about excess latent drippage.

Now I gotta shake that thing for a good minute.

Do you dab?

BLM - ACAB
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    I am immortal.

Unfortunately this immortality comes with no form of invincibility, eternal youthfulness, or specifically good health

in fact, I appear to have an inverse cost where I will have many forms of physical and mental afflictions imposed upon me by an uncaring universe, which I will completely survive

Seems kinda bullshit

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Mopey nonsense

Poorochondriac on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    I am currently experiencing a manic episode. It is unpleasant. I took an ativan to attempt to lock this shit down. Let's see if it works. If it does, I'll be able to get some sleep. If not? Welp.

• CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    As I get older...

My left shoulder has deteriorated to shit. It hurts to lift my kids. I know I'll need surgery eventually on it.

My knees sometimes decide to just say "fuck YOU" and not work for a step or two and I do a weird hobble dance to get them back in check

I know I'm breathing shit at work that'll give me cancer of some sort to another eventually.

Oh and also fuck Alzheimer's. I'm scared to death of it. It runs like a big pissed off freight train through my moms side of the family. Killed my grandpa and 8 o his brothers and sisters. My mom is starting to show early early signs and I'm fucking terrified to forget anything because "what if this is the start of it? What if it's all downhill from here?"

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    The other day I talked to someone I haven't talked to in... like a decade. Having a "let's catch up: How have you been for the last decade?" conversation is really weird and old-feeling.

I'm starting to think I'm incapable of having a conversation like this (or at least initiating one) because I'll pick up friendships exactly where they left off, no matter how much time has gone by. Kind of a toss up as to whether it annoys the person I'm speaking with.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    The older I get, the more worried I am that I won't die gloriously in battle and spend the rest of eternity feasting and fighting in the halls of Valhalla.

Odin save me, I have the steel, but not the opportunities!

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    You must create the opportunities.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    I am immortal.

Unfortunately this immortality comes with no form of invincibility, eternal youthfulness, or specifically good health

in fact, I appear to have an inverse cost where I will have many forms of physical and mental afflictions imposed upon me by an uncaring universe, which I will completely survive

Seems kinda bullshit

So, like

Mother 3 Porky?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    I turn 30 today.

I had time to feel old for about all of 10 seconds, before my back reminded my that it hates me and my hips creaked when I stood up to try and crack it

Funny thing is, that's been happening to me my whole life (gogo hip dysplasia)

FWnykYl.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    I am immortal.

Seems kinda bullshit

So, like

Mother 3 Porky?

[Always use a robot to timetravel

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Everyone who claims to have owned an N64 as a child must prove it

Let us see your hands

Anyone without a circular scar in the middle of their palm is a filthy liar.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I own one, but I never played Mario Party, so no scar. I did wear my thumb smooth during marathon Goldeneye sessions a few times though.

edited October 2013
    pimento wrote: »
    I own one, but I never played Mario Party, so no scar. I did wear my thumb smooth during marathon Goldeneye sessions a few times though.
    That is acceptable

Seriously, though, about getting older... I am in better shape - mentally, emotionally, and physically than I was 10 years ago.

I am the happiest I have ever been in my life, I'm in an amazing relationship, and... hell, I even look younger than I did when I was 20

Fuck, guys, I think I'm doing this "getting old" thing backwards

EDIT: Oh, also, I think the music nowadays is a million times better than what I used to listen to

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I used to use the lowest part of the tip of my thumb near the knuckle joint to press X and O on the PS controller, and the tip of my thumb to press ■ and ▲.

I developed quite the callous on the joint on that thumb.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

This is a lie.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I have a scar from playing Mario Party.

It... wasn't caused by a controller.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I lost my right hand ring finger nail to Wii tennis

Never grew back quite right

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I lost my left arm playing Starfox on the SNES

Never shoulda done that barrel roll

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    smof wrote: »

You shoulda have left slippy to die bro

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I am like
    smof wrote: »

I once had hallucinations after staying up for forty hours playing star fox 64

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I hit thirty a few days ago and decided the most appropriate way for me to mark the occasion was to purchase my first pokémon game.

I am going to see my father in a couple of weeks to determine whether or not he can continue to live on his own.

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I wouldn't trade adulthood for the world though

fuck not being autonomous

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular

We used to do a thing where you spawn just two people on a map, usually Complex, with Golden Guns only. Then you walk right up to each other, turn around and pace ten steps, just like a duel. Then, while the two players are facing away from one another, you put the N64 controllers down on the floor, and two players go out of the room, upstairs to the furthest point in the house away from the TV. One person shouts 'duel' and the two participants have to sprint down the stairs, battling one another to get their controller and turn around to fire the one shot needed to kill.

Anyway, long story short, in the mad scramble to get to the controllers, one time my friend slid on a rug and went face first into a glass VCR cabinet under the TV. So in terms of Goldeneye injuries, he pretty much wins. Plus, we made him play as Trevelyan from then on because of the marks on his face.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    The older I get, the more worried I am that I won't die gloriously in battle and spend the rest of eternity feasting and fighting in the halls of Valhalla.

Steel is not strong, boy! Flesh is stronger! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Steel is not strong, boy! Flesh is stronger! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?

The cutting of other flesh part.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Such a waste. Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I have indentations in my mouse hand fingers from playing Baldur's Gate, Diablo and Diablo 2

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I remember picking up the N64 controller again for the first time in a few years and being really surprised at how uncomfortable the analog stick felt

Also, an inability to beat Baldur's Gate nowadays has nothing to do with difficulty and everything to do with Imoen's goddamn voice

FWnykYl.jpg
    Oh shiiiiiit

I just realized

I think a LARGE part of what makes people look aged and shit is smoking

None of the people I know who abstain from smoking look "old", and pretty much everyone I know who does does

FWnykYl.jpg
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    lou reed died today

so, that sucks

• WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    Smoking is whack.

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    @darth waiter

Never give in to your body's demands. We do not negotiate with terrorists. Do not let it dictate what you can do.

easysig2.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    lou reed died today

so, that sucks

whoa dang

gonna be honest, I thought he had already died for some reason

shit still sucks

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    This thread makes me want to write a really long post.

lfYVHTd.png