As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Can has Post-Pax Afterparty Sunday?

MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
edited November 2013 in PAX East
So every year at East I haven't been able to find a post-PAX after party like they do in Prime.
(damn those dirty Primers! *shakes fist*)

Every Sunday after PAX I find myself a Zombie, not knowing what to do with all the energy and awesomeness that PAX has fueled me with.
Previously I believe benevolent creatures had gone through great pains to put one together but something fell through and nothing materialized.

I don't live in Boston so I can't set it all up myself, but I'm wondering if there are others feeling the same way... looking for something to decompress with.

SO, I guess I'm just posting this to see if there's any appetite for a post-PAX event somewhere.
Maybe not a full party. Maybe just a big get-together with board games and ninjas?
Giant staring contest?
MMMig wrote: »
ed:
Here's a survey to feel out how much appetite there is, and for what kind of event. Please fill it out. =)
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1VD7dMoArc6SJo-0vxKpEyPJoSYbavFuyVMT-b5ckbEU/viewform

Maybe a massive game of Johann Sebastian Joust? (which was a HUGE hit at PAX Aus)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUzIhFHxJ5Q

What say you, PAX Easters?

l4lGvOw.png
Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
MMMig on

• GeekyPanda404GeekyPanda404 The Geeky Panda ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    I'm staying with my friends til Monday so if anything is happening Sunday night I would love to know.

mYPBAfl.jpg
  • aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    I am around til Monday as well.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think there's definitely the appetite for it, but there's never been the combination of organizer willing to do it and enough notice to get it packed. One person tried to do it one year, but it was too close to the convention for it to fill up appropriately.

• KnolandKnoland Hungry Hungry Hippo VermontRegistered User regular
    Depending what time it is and how long tear-down runs until I might swing by.

PAX EAST 2014: Ticket/Enforcing[x] Hotel [x] Travel [x]
  • The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular
    I would stop by. Hopefully we can pull this off this time, even if it's just a meetup.

PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
  • mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    I would definitely be down for it. Would love to be able to meetup again with you, MMMig.

• DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    I'd be interested. I also don't live in Boston, but if organizing help was needed, I could possibly help depending on what the plans turn out to be.

"I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

Steam: delaney_a

• okayreneokayrene Registered User regular
    My buddy and I are around until Monday. We'd be down.

• MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    I'd definitely be interested. The prime after-party was a lot of fun and I'd love to do something similar for east.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • dmautzdmautz Registered User regular
    Last year I spent that time playing board games in the Westin lobby. But a more organized party would be nice to go to as well.

edited October 2013
    food, some libations, and games ... what could be better (just need a place whether my daughter will also be welcome)

aBByNormaL on
    PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Account4ThisAccount4This BostonRegistered User regular
    There are a number of bars in the area that would be willing to open up back/secondary rooms if they know a big party is coming. If there's enough interest in this I'm sure a few calls would secure a solid location (that is of course if a bar atmosphere is fine with everyone). This is especially true post-football season, so really should be doable.

Unless those rooms allow kids prior to a certain hour it will rule me out.

• zer0faultszer0faults Registered User regular
    aBByNormaL wrote: »

Those kinds of rooms usually allow children because they are for parties, baby showers, etc.

If so great I just don't want anyone to think they have change or alter plans because of me. If the venue they decide on doesn't take kids no big we will simply do something else.

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    I'd personally lean towards an all age thing, keeping the "Welcome Home" tradition that is PAX, ya know?

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    So for those who have been to an after-PAX party or even those who just have ideas, what sort of activities are we considering?

"I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

Steam: delaney_a

Assuming this wouldn't be a late night thing, most places would be perfectly fine with underage as most of them are pseudo-restaurants, but it's certainly something to ask.
    I'd personally lean towards an all age thing, keeping the "Welcome Home" tradition that is PAX, ya know?

What kind of ideas do you think of for a 'welcome home' tradition? I'm still relatively new to this, but am a local and definitely interested in helping getting whatever is decided organized.

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    I'm game, this will be the first year we've decided to leave on Monday

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
    Think I'm gonna feel like an old man at pax lol

Nah. Not unless you're determined to ;) The group I tend to hang with has a wide age range. 18-55ish. The average (at least for my group) is around 30 or so. This is among probably 20-50 people. Not saying it's indicative of the whole con, but as long as your intention is to have a good time I think you'll have a good time and not feel old.

My mantra is "you are only as old as those you feel" ... Lulz

Delaney wrote: »
    So for those who have been to an after-PAX party or even those who just have ideas, what sort of activities are we considering?
    The Prime P3 (P3 = Post PAX Party) has been held for the past few years at a place that has pool tables, ping pong, and lots of TVs. Usually people organize bringing consoles and multiplayer setups like fighting games and Rock Band sets for the TVs. There's also usually bands that are booked for the party (one year they got the Protomen, and Jonny Nero Action Hero is a regular staple out there), and food (buffet style) with a pay for yourself bar. The guy that organizes it also gets prizes to be raffled off from a donation fund and sometimes sponsors.

Not saying an East P3 has to be that way, but that's sort of the "mold" that has been around for a handful of years now for Prime's P3. I believe the Prime P3 is 18+ though, not necessarily all ages... Although I could be totally wrong on that count.

There's usually a cover for that kind of stuff.
    The one in Aus had a cover.

P3 has cover?

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    Yeah, the Aus P3 was inspired by the Prime P3 :) and yeah the Prime P3 had a cost of $40/ticket that covered getting the entire place to ourselves, one drink ticket per person, and all the food and the bands. I think it had around 250 people this past year. One year topped out at > 300.

What kind of ideas do you think of for a 'welcome home' tradition? I'm still relatively new to this, but am a local and definitely interested in helping getting whatever is decided organized.

Well, we're not in hard-mode planning yet, but something with as low a cover charge as possible, if any.

The focus would circle around the gaming community. Board games, video games, card games, ambient Bowser-dungeon music distracting us from the rising lava, lots of sitting room, a nerf gun or two.

Something that welcomes any and all gamer types, including those that wear shorts:
    4007_6666.jpeg

That's just an idea though.
    If the mob wants a concert-type venue, then the goal would be to appease the mob.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    HA! I'll do a little recon and see what's available and what kinda charge they'd be looking for, I can think of a few places already with areas available to be reserved with plenty of table space for tabletop stuff. Pool tables have become a bit of a rarity, especially in a separated area. I'm thinking Greatest Bar (has whole floors available), Market (has a secondary room generally available for stuff), and Jillians (open to parties, has pool & bowling, though not necessarily separate from the general public), if any other locals can think of anywhere else??? (Kings maybe??)

I can't think of anywhere that would have easy TV setup available myself, though someone else may. It really all depends on what the consensus is looking for.

I got my pass for this year and may be too excited (as if that's possible) so if I'm getting ahead of myself, feel free to reign me in, haha

• gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular

This is my first time staying till Monday, and I would be interested, especially if it is all-ages, low or no cover, close to the BCEC, and a bit low-key. Games of all sorts would be great! I might skip it if it were to feature loud music. I want to keep playing games in a chill atmosphere with cool people. Heck, a post-pax Westin game night would attract me.

• KnolandKnoland Hungry Hungry Hippo VermontRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013

I once gave directions to a man who looked to be at least in his mid 60's and he couldn't be having a better time. You'll be fine.

Knoland on
    PAX EAST 2014: Ticket/Enforcing[x] Hotel [x] Travel [x]

I am definitely on the older side of the range of ages that go to PAX, and I have had a blast every year (this will be my third PAX). I also go solo, as most of my friends here are my age and do not game. I find that at PAX age does not really matter that much and I did a lot of board gaming and hanging out with younger people and nobody thought twice.

• eloelo That guy over there... Smoke stack central, NJRegistered User regular
    This sounds like fun. This will be the first year I am staying in Boston past Sunday so I would be down for something like this.

0j92muX.png
  • fullofgracefullofgrace Registered User regular
    Add me to the 'older' crowd. I've been on the forums awhile but last year was Hubs and my first year taking part in some of the forumer activities. There was a wide range of ages at the pre-dinner and the magical mystery tour and both were a lot of fun. We're staying through Monday this year and would love to get to party with everyone.

I'm jessageek on Twitter and Tumblr
    PAX East Pics: 2010-2015 & Vids: 2012-2015
    @gonexall on which side of the scales do you tip?

• GeekyPanda404GeekyPanda404 The Geeky Panda ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    If its a Party I will buy a few rounds at the Bar myself and enjoy myself with my fellow geeks and gamers out there.

mYPBAfl.jpg

If you are asking about age, the way I like to put it is that, age-wise, Will Wheaton and I could have been college roommates.

• TinTangoTinTango Registered User regular
    Im keen! Went to the Pax aus afterparty and had fun ( if a bit sniffly due to the cold Melb weather at the time)

gonexall wrote: »
    If you are asking about age, the way I like to put it is that, age-wise, Will Wheaton and I could have been college roommates.

Then I probably have you beat (as he is 41) as I am tipping slightly closer to 50 (but not there yet)

TinTango wrote: »
    Im keen! Went to the Pax aus afterparty and had fun ( if a bit sniffly due to the cold Melb weather at the time)

Neat, I was there too!
    It was kind of dying near the end but then someone started a game of "never have I ever" and we all reveled in how horrible human beings each of us where, then communal singing of the Zelda theme song took over and all was well with the world.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    gonexall wrote: »

Then I probably have you beat (as he is 41) as I am tipping slightly closer to 50 (but not there yet)

I'm not that far off and I plan to keep coming to PAX. You'll have a great time.

This might be my age talking, but I think a gathering to play more games would hold more appeal than a full-on party post-pax. Pax itself is such a party that, after three days of PAX, I will be ready for something a little more relaxed to transition back to regular life.

• SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    At least as of now, my fiance and I are planning to be there until Monday, so we might be up for something post-pax.

As for party vs game night.....well, it depends on what type of both it ends up like. Loud bar/club where you can't hear each other, overpriced food/drink, and not a lot of fun stuff to do? No thanks. Game night of a bunch of people playing Cards Against Apples (whatever, those 2 are the same game)? No thanks.