As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Glossolalia] Silver\Vignette (Everybody Join In)

• CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Cobin Wester Preacher, Willful, Wise, Hardened[WRATH]
    ▥▥▥▥▥ ▥▥▥▥▥
    [i: ]

"I would like to investigate the church, personally, but a man who defiles graves must surely be seen to as well."

edited October 2013
    Sleeping Springs

The town of Sleeping Springs isn't much to talk about, in fact, it never has been. A small village of a few thousand residents, it's a simple place filled with plain folk, but don't mistake plain for weak. These people have weathered tremendous thunderstorms, terrible floods, even an earthquake, not only surviving but rebuilding every time. These are hardy folk of the earth.

Of note in Sleeping Springs is the lone old-fashioned theater, with one screen that plays movies already out on blu-ray, but nobody seems to mind. There's also the Sleepy Cafe, an old diner that stays open twenty four hours a day, always good for a bad cup of coffee, burnt toast and runny eggs. There's a large old-fashioned bed and breakfast owned by Betty Whintes, and the only bar in town on the corner is Ashley's, though most call it Trashley's or Smashley's or some other variation. There's also a medium-sized church, white with stained glass windows. It's the only one in town.

A mountain looms over the town, casting a shadow over it much of the day. The town takes its names from hot springs up just off the mountain road. The road goes all the way to the summit, where a small public historical cabin sits. Dense foliage covers the majority of the mountain, save for the road. There's nature trails at the bottom of the mountain that lead around a public pond, where local kids go to swim and others go to hike.

It's a quiet place, calm and peaceful. Or so the townspeople tell themselves. Sleeping Springs is not as plain and ordinary as it seems. Oft times, there are howls in the night, not quite human and not quite animal. Farmers report strange sightings of things in the woods, and farm animals are found every so often brutally slaughtered. The only doctor in town, Doc Andrews often sleepwalks at night, mumbling strange things to himself. Every so often someone goes missing in the middle of the night, with no explanation found or conceived. Strangers have found themselves in the town without an explanation for how they got there. Out-of-towners who come find it difficult to leave.

The townsfolk tell themselves a believable story and move on with their lives. An oft-used expression is “If ya woke up in Sleeping Springs, then shit ain't that bad, is it?”

But things are getting worse. More unusual sightings, violent animal killings, and strange unexplained behavior.

Something has woken up in Sleeping Springs.

Name trait 1, trait 2, trait 3, asleep
    ▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥

▥▥▥
    i]Stubborn Defiance[/i, ????, ????

One sentence detailing your characters background. Are they local? Born and raised? Stranger? Traveler? Give me something.

You start asleep, unaware or purposefully ignorant of the strangeness around you. Everyone who is asleep has the stubborn defiance ability, which allows you to spend one stamina block to deplete two blocks of an obstacle that is obviously unnatural. Note: If you use the stubborn defiance ability to destroy/overcome the obstacle in question, you may not become Awake after the incident. You must rationalize whatever just happened and remain willfully ignorant.

To become Awake, you must spend after an unnatural incident. This means you accept there is something seriously wrong in the world and though this gives you more power to deal with it, it also requires a sacrifice, one which you cannot gain back.

The storm erupted above the town, dark clouds billowing, lightning striking and thunder crashing in the sky. The wind whipped about, tearing limbs from trees and debris from the ground and tossing it about. Townsfolk fled inside, either to their homes or the one of the local businesses, the cafe, the bar, the church or the theater. Walls shook and windows shattered. Some grumbled and muttered about dark days. First the kids screaming about a tragedy at the hot springs, and farmer John coming into town talkin' crazy and carrying a heavy bag over his shoulder, now a storm of biblical proportions.

Oh well, the town would suffer through it and survive, as it always did.

awake

So, create your character and specify which place they are in, be it Home, Bar, Cafe, Church or Theater. Once a few people have signed up, I'll write the first post.

Cheeseliker on
  • Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Moroni Murri President of the Gun Club, Paranoid, Forward-Looking, asleep
    ▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥

▥▥▥

The only man in Sleeping Springs who knows the truth, that a world government has taken control, and that that government is run by alien life.

hey, cheese. what's up with these bracketed things?

Shock G on
    edited October 2013
    Stubborn Defiance and the question marks? Sanity Powers. I'm also considering allowing characters to start Awake.

Edit: Character looks good. Though what's Forward-Looking? Basically an optimist? Always looking ahead?

Cheeseliker on
    very much into preparation

edited October 2013
    Okay. You could just go with Prepared or even Always Prepared but you can keep it Forward-Looking if you want.

Edit: Also, where do you want to start?

Cheeseliker on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i woke up at like

7 am today

and as someone who usually sleeps in pretty late

it has completely thrown off my internal clock

how is it only four o'clock

• DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Jedidah "Baron" Wilkes Businessman, Commanding Presence, Mountain of a Man, Indomitable Pride
    ▥▥▥▥ ▥▥▥▥
    [i: ]

This was ridiculous. This was insulting. How dare they? How dare they shanghai the Baron of Steel and throw him into a life of base labors? No sir, this would not stand. He would burn this village to the ground before he saw himself given to the life of a simple worker.

Baron snatches the Wanted pages off of the board and stuffs them into a pocket. Easy money. Nothing he hadn't done. A good start for his new empire.

Stomping away, he grabs Junior by the arm and pulls her close. "Boy, I need you to scout the village. I want you to work the old Wilkes magic on this place. Take it apart, find it how it works. We're going to own this shanty in a week. Then we'll work on making our way back to civilization."

Tapping Businessman and Indomitable for 2 Blocks, tapping Pride for 1 Block

Keri-Lynn Smitts No-Nonsense, Rough-and-Tumble, Mysterious asleep(?)
    ▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥

▥▥▥

Waitress at the diner in the middle of town. Doesn't like to talk about her past, or the many strange symbols that cover her skin.

DE?AD on
    Yesssss. It begins.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Just a note that the group does not need to stay together. If everyone who joined sticks around there is enough for two or three seperate teams

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    Hmmm

Should probably have Crow do a thing.

Also what happened to all of those rad Ascend characters doing stuff.

Is it me? Am I the problem?

Or is it

The System???

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    The system is down, man.

jnij103vqi2i.png
    edited October 2013
    Honestly I just didn't know what to do. This thing is too fast for Grant to deal with so I'm not sure he would even continue going after it. It managed to stab him without him even seeing it and he's got good eyes. Maybe more detail with the updates? I have trouble following what happens.

DE?AD I assume Keri is at the diner during the storm?

Cheeseliker on
    edited October 2013
    Personally, I just lost track of wha was happening.

Maybe a recap?

Edit: @Cheeseliker Yeah, that works. She could also work/be at the cafe if that's easier.

DE?AD on
    The cafe is the diner so yeah. It's all good.

edited October 2013
    Honestly I just didn't know what to do. This thing is too fast for Grant to deal with so I'm not sure he would even continue going after it. It managed to stab him without him even seeing it and he's got good eyes. Maybe more detail with the updates? I have trouble following what happens.

DE?AD I assume Keri is at the diner during the storm?

That's cool. At the moment Jin managed to soak the robot. Water's dripping off of it. It's sort of standing there, glistening.
    DE?AD wrote: »
    Personally, I just lost track of wha was happening.

Maybe a recap?

Sure thing. Tomorrow, though.

Dux on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    [Inquisit] ★ ↷ ⇄
    ⎔x0 ❻⎔x12 ⎔x0 ❹❻❻⎔x18 ⎔x2 ⎔x1 ⎔x8 ⎔x5 ⎔x7 ⎔x0 ⎔x0 ⊜x5 ↺x3

[Retired Detective Chief Inspector] [Rational] [Hard Boiled] [Advanced Variable Golemech]
    [Useful Gadgets] [Detective Stuff] [Chief Justice]
    [Chief Investigative Officer of PSI] [Yen] [iceBERG] [Agent Eddis]

Before Dragon:
    His body language and facial expressions still conveying sadness, Inquisit starts to Monologue. "Overcome by feelings of helplessness and impending loss, the Old Detective's subconscious clicks into overdrive. Clues of the past, passed over as not being clues at all, suddenly slot into place. The siblings at the Observatory, one Orange, the other formerly Royal Blue and now Cyan. Born into adventure." His voice modulates into an approximation of Rick's for a moment. "I know it's rough, especially around this time of year... Gwendolynne, in life as in death, an adventurer and collector of..." He's back from his reverie, eyes widening. "Tchotchkes..."

He places his hands on her shoulders, "Gwendy, your last name is Lightning, isn't it?"

Pretty sure Christina used to be hot pink. Someone tell me.
    Fixed, thanks.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Pretty sure Christina used to be hot pink. Someone tell me.

She was RoyalBlue at the start, but tended to switch between that, HotPink and Gold.

IKknkhU.gif
    Blue! Where's your janitor!

He is sitting in a folder trying to find a name that isn't Scruffy

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    I am now reading back through everything Inquisit's been doing, because if he's right then I'm going to be very interested in this turn of events.

IKknkhU.gif
    @Caulk Bite 6 Forgive me for clearly not paying attention before, but what's Inquisit's backstory, exactly?

IKknkhU.gif
    Found by ghost adventurer Gwendolynne, activated by her somehow, eventually married and divorced after a few decades. Oh and her soul was blasted back about 100 years by some accident.

jnij103vqi2i.png
    So "Ghost Problems: Robot Edition"

Got it

IKknkhU.gif
    And he himself worked his way up the Meridi police force, making it to a high level homicide cop, before retiring "recently".

jnij103vqi2i.png
    Stilts wrote: »
    So "Ghost Problems: Robot Edition"

Got it

Not sure I get the reference.

jnij103vqi2i.png
    He is sitting in a folder trying to find a name that isn't Scruffy

Duffy.

jnij103vqi2i.png
    Update tonight, assuming I get home early enough.

Okay. You could just go with Prepared or even Always Prepared but you can keep it Forward-Looking if you want.

Edit: Also, where do you want to start?

the bar, of course

edited October 2013
    [Penelope Ahriman] [Φ Karsif/Masn] color="royalblue"]1[/color] [color="Forestgreen"]3[/color] [COLOR="darkorchid"]5 7[/color [⊜⊜⊜⊜⊜] ↺x35
    10 00 13 09 00 13 00 00 00 10 14 02
    [Hoverblade Hoodlum][Hardcore][Manipulative] [Raw Brawn] [Shit Rats' Momma Bear][Bangers] [Bent Ass Gold Bat] [Bullet in Shoulder][Bullet in Leg]
    ⇄❂

"I'm still certain, Gerth." She looks at him with her false-Mesmiri eyes. "It's all this shit I'm into that ain't. It's like trying to build a house on custard, understanding it all. Must be how He felt, back in the Beginning."

~Later~

Penny goes inside this strange motherfucker of a building.

Shock G on
    [Posting From Bed Post]

"Ive gotta say, that is not what i was expecting when you talked earlier."

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    [Clyde] [Φ Karsif]
    ⎔x113 ⎔x11 ⎔x10 ⎔x10 ⎔x412 ⎔x0 ⎔x1 ⎔x10 ⎔x13 ⎔x2 ⎔x0 ⎔x0 ⎔x1 ⎔x5 ⎔x0 ⊜x5 ↺x17
    ❼❼
    [Grenadier-Bretteur] [Accelerated Reader] [Dramatic Flair] [Fabulous] [Airkido]
    [Costume Change Gadgetry], [Dueling Dagger], [Variable Explosives/Pyrotechnics]
    [Shit Rats (Wizards)] [Bangers] [Swifts] [Karsif Krew]

"You got any plans for the Rad?" asks Clyde. "I've been trying to figure out how to make that fit in with the other colors, and among the new ones it's one of the harder fits."

While Streich is preoccupied trying to tend to their wounded, Clyde approaches the carcass and tries to make it to where he saw the strange glow.

Rawkking Goodguy on
    Thoughts on Rad: since it is essentially the natural Colour of the Carbosylicates, and they are essentially entities of the Extranet with their bodies serving as physical interfaces, would it not make sense for Rad's Lime to be the Colour of the Extranet (however that can be represented)?

jnij103vqi2i.png
    edited October 2013
    [Christina Lightning]
    ⎔x187 ❹⎔x42 ⎔x1 ⎔x29 ⎔x22 ⎔x0 ⎔x7 ⎔x35 ⎔x0 ⎔x0 ⎔x0 ❸❹❻❾⎔x57 ⎔x29 ⊜x0 ↺x3

[Action Scientist] [Sexy] [Resourceful] [Marksmanship] [Harmonic Monks] [Irradiated Rifle] [Jenis Stellar mkI Airscooter] [Toolkit] [Tablet PC]
    ⇄⊕☍

Christina grins. "I have, actually. It's partly why I asked you to help me rebalance my color. I'd like to integrate it into this world, but I admit it's, uh, kinda disruptive compared to the others. Like you said, it's a harder fit. So I've decided I'm not going to put it in the City itself. I'm going to convert my new Observatory to RAD. The Observatory never had an ambient color to begin with, and it's situated well away from the populace. That makes it the perfect perfect spot to cultivate and study RAD. Plus, I'm hoping that once we know more about it, Michael won't need to live in fear of his past."

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    edited October 2013
    [Kain Fuery]
    ⎔x398 ❾⎔x28 ⎔x7 ❺⎔x51 ❷⎔x11 ⎔x0 ⎔x0 ⎔x0 ⎔x5 ❹⎔x11 ⎔x0 ⊜x5 ↺x6

[Senior Special Agent] [Director of PSI] [Determined] [Hyper Awareness] [Immortal] [Tea Shades] [Pistol] [Handcannon] [Agent Yen] [ICEberg] [Agent Eddis] [PSI Team]

"No, I'm not. I'm here to help in whatever way I can to ensure Streich is up and running again before more shit hits the fan. The City needs Streich now more than ever."

Kain folds his hands behind his back. "If you genuinely think I came her with this entire entourage just to tell you how much better PSI is than Streich, or whatever, than you really don't know shit about me. Not surprising, though."

"I'm also here to discuss how we're going to work together in the future."

Dux on
    I find myself at a loss for what to do, at least until after the update.

jnij103vqi2i.png
    edited October 2013
    Will post an Ascend recap soon, and and an Ascend update after that!

[Kain Fuery]
    ⎔x398 ❾⎔x28 ⎔x7 ❺⎔x51 ❷⎔x11 ⎔x0 ⎔x0 ⎔x0 ⎔x5 ❹⎔x11 ⎔x0 ⊜x5 ↺x6

[Senior Special Agent] [Director of PSI] [Determined] [Hyper Awareness] [Immortal] [Tea Shades] [Pistol] [Handcannon] [Agent Yen] [ICEberg] [Agent Eddis] [PSI Team]

Kain converts the Residential District [-10x]. He puts a PSI agency in Orrus apartments and STC 1 [-10x]. On top of that he turns the latter into a stronghold [-2x⎔] He also covers Baelt Heights in Branding that doesn't detract from the overall scenery [-16?x]. He opens shops that sell a line of toys based on the PSI Behemoths in Baelt, the Attera Group Offices and Avaren Factories [-6x⎔].

Kain trades [6x] for [6x] with Inquisit and makes the factories more [Eco-Friendly II , -6x], to cut down on occasions of Grey Lung in the surrounding area.

He also plots to install an Advanced R&D Department in STC 2 -[↺]

Dux on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Visigoth [Exe.Orcism] [0/30]
    [EINHERJAR Assault Mech][Crowd Pleaser][Unsettling][Disrepair][Slightly Glitchy][Sluggish][Very Snowy Vision]
    Aug: [Gnosis 6, Hack Guard]
    I: 6.8mm Assault Rifle, Stun Prod, Nano-Ceramic Hatchet

Visigoth notes dispassionately that its system clock appears to have jumped several billion nanoseconds without any processing activity being logged. Fantastic. Since it last ran an environmental diagnostic, the ambient moisture seems to have skyrocketed, and the headmounted camera's already dubious fidelity reveals little except droplets raining down all down the corridor.

And the outline of a being who's perceived silhouette does not match any ally signatures.

Fuck it, decides Visigoth's algorithms. The robot levels its oversized rifle, hydraulic musculature growling and squealing in the wet conditions. The trigger is smoothly depressed, and recoil compensatory systems activate to control the buck of the firearm as several pyrotechnic rounds scream shrilly towards the soaked target, setting their trajectory alight with a flare-like red glow.

Or if that interferes with your planned update just ignore it. No worries.

Samuel Roch Licentious, Scrappy, Fugitive, asleep
    ▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥

▥▥▥

An out-of-towner who's been causing marital discord and getting well-acquainted with the local drunk tank for years now.

Starting at the bar, naturally.

Marshmallow on
    Yesssss. I'll probably throw up a starting post for the bar and diner today. Anyone can still join whenever, though.

This discussion has been closed.