As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Baby doing Linda Blair impression [oh Christ so much spit-up]

Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
Our little girl is two months old and very happy, healthy, fat, etc. The only thing is, a couple nights ago, my husband (stay-at-home dad) told me that she'd just had a really bad episode of spitting up everything in her stomach, spewing enough to soak herself, the car seat, and the coach it was leaning back on. Then he said the next night that it'd happened again while I was at work, and when my mom babysat her today, she said she also got the full-body treatment and had to change herself, the baby, the blanket, and then clean up the couch and a nearby cushion. Just now, not twelve hours later, I was holding the kid as she finished a four ounce bottle and BAM, it all came right back out at me.

Now, I know a bit of stuff coming back up now and then is completely normal, and that new parents tend to overestimate quantities and freak out and shit...but this is completely new for her, and sudden, and frequent, and it's not just a teaspoon or tablespoon coming up, more like the entire past one or two bottles she's had. As we speak, I have an entire grown-up-sized towel in the wash that it took to sop it up, not to mention the entire bottom half of my wardrobe. The question: has this happened to anyone else in terms of how quickly it came on? We haven't been feeding her more or differently in any respect, wrack our brains as we might. It seems to happen during the evening and nighttime. She does seem pretty chill afterward, not in pain, and we're going to the pediatrician anyway on Tuesday; looking for more anecdotal reassurance in the meantime.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2013
    As she gets stronger and drinks faster, she may be getting more air with her milk than she used to. I don't usually give bottles, but I've been told that when I do I should burp him every ounce or so he drinks to work the air out of his stomach. It's not come up (as it were) for me too much because I am extremely loathe to formula-feed, and we haven't needed to use a breast milk bottle in months since I moved away from home and had people to help with him, but I am told that really helps keep spit up to a minimum.

The only time I've ever had him come up with that kind of volume was driving up and down mountains in Colorado, poor guy. He was sleeping and the pressure changes did him in.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
    We've had to supplement and then move exclusively to formula for various reasons (not at all happy about that, but 'tis what it is). She's had small-scale problems with gas and fussiness, but nothing too catastrophic till this suddenly started, well, coming up. We usually burp every two ounces or so; I'm thinking of trying more feedings with fewer amounts and a lot more pauses to burp. Google also suggests that too-tight diapers can put pressure on the stomach, and we've already had to start putting the "8-14 lbs" ones on more loosely, as they've started to leave marks on her waist. I just hope this shit doesn't keep happening on a regular basis. :/

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    How long ago did you have to switch? Maybe she's still adjusting.

Also, I think it's easier for them to overeat with a bottle. Maybe do 3oz feedings instead of 4 in the evenings and see how she does? Their tummies aren't very big at 2 months.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    Nah, she's been on formula for over a month, and on this brand/type for at least three weeks (we finished one can of powder and started another throughout this, so it wasn't one bad batch causing problems). She's quite a sucker, so hopefully cutting down will help.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    ...So this is 3-4 days in a row with her vomiting-up everything you've fed her, more or less?

Can you schedule a visit with the pediatrician / doctor sooner than Tuesday? If there is a stomach or diaphragm problem, it's better to catch it sooner rather than later.

With Love and Courage
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    This is not normal. My baby spit up a lot but it was more frequency than volume. Better phone the pediatrician, describe the problem, and see if he seems concerned. You don't want your baby dehydrating. Are there still plenty of wet/dirty diapers? If not, there might be a problem.

The Ender wrote: »
    ...So this is 3-4 days in a row with her vomiting-up everything you've fed her, more or less?

Can you schedule a visit with the pediatrician / doctor sooner than Tuesday? If there is a stomach or diaphragm problem, it's better to catch it sooner rather than later.

It's day 2.5 or so, and not everything we've fed her, but a whole hell of a lot, at least 25-50%.
    Are there still plenty of wet/dirty diapers? If not, there might be a problem.

She is still wetting them, and had a decently poopy one right before the 'splosion around 1 this morning, but I'll keep an eye on it. The second she does this shit again, or if more than a couple diapers in a row are dry, I'll call the doc's nurse answering service.

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I did this as a child, and it turned out that I had developed an allergy to milk.

You really need to get this checked out, because if your baby is emptying the contents of her stomach on the regular, she's not getting the nutrition she needs.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    definitely call the pediatrician, call them all the time. That's what they are there for and you should never feel like you should not call them.

What size nipple are you using? Or i should say, how many holes. We had a situation where we stepped up the number of holes too early, and our little tyke ate too fast and had a tendency to spit up. Usually, whenever he spit up it was everything that had recently gone down, so you know... 4 to 8 oz, depending on how far along we had gotten.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Hey not to alarm you but you might want to get her checked for pyloric stenosis. Our guy ended up having it. We dealt with these huge vomits that soaked everything. The onset came pretty much the same time. Are these vomits like scraping the bottom of the stomach type in terms of what's coming up?

camo_sig.png
    She's been snacking on 2-ounce servings and sleeping most of the day, with intermittent wet diapers. This is my cautiously optimistic face.
    What size nipple are you using?

It's a low-flow, but still too big for her, because unless she's eating at a totally leisurely pace, she's so strong that a lot tends to dribble out the side of her mouth. Eating too fast hasn't seemed to be a problem thus far - a couple weeks ago she had a growth spurt that resulted in a lot of six-ounce feedings, and one memorable two-hour session that totaled nine - but there's obviously a problem now, so we'll see if there are any other options at the store.
    mts wrote: »
    Are these vomits like scraping the bottom of the stomach type in terms of what's coming up?

I...don't think so? The one I saw had what looked like silt in it, I suppose from broken-down formula powder. There was nothing weird-colored or foul-smelling or otherwise suspect, and again, she seemed to feel fine afterward.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i guess that wasn't the best decription.

the thing that worries me about your describing the vomit is that she is puking more than what she seemingly had been fed. pyloric stenosis prevents the stomach from emptying so multiple feedings can't backed up and then when critical mass is hit it all gets ejected. if we are talking soaking everything type vomits, it isn't normal.

normal spit up is like a few ounces.

it could be nothing, but your post sounds exactly like what happened with our guy so some things are triggering memories.

go with your gut, if something feels wrong it likely is.

camo_sig.png
  • cuba gcuba g Registered User new member
    Derrick wrote: »
    I did this as a child, and it turned out that I had developed an allergy to milk.

I have been a looong time lurker here, but this post compelled me to finally register and contribute.

What the OP is describing sounds a lot like what I went through with my kid, and it ended up being severe food allergies. I racked my brain for months, unsure as to why my kid couldn't keep food down for more than half a day, and it ended up being food allergies.

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    cuba g wrote: »
    Derrick wrote: »

I have been a looong time lurker here, but this post compelled me to finally register and contribute.

What the OP is describing sounds a lot like what I went through with my kid, and it ended up being severe food allergies. I racked my brain for months, unsure as to why my kid couldn't keep food down for more than half a day, and it ended up being food allergies.

I don't have kids, but I did this when I was a baby and my parents always described it with references to The Exorcist as above. Would definitely talk to a doctor if it persists. They ended up having to put me on a formula where all the protein was "pre-digested" because my stomach couldn't handle anything else and my mom couldn't breast feed. Grew out of it by the time I was eating solid food. Babies are fucked up.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    My baby has food allergy issues and lots of spit-up was the first symptom. It was more constant spit-ups than exorcist-style vomiting, though. I currently suffer on a milk free diet due to breastfeeding (do you KNOW how many things have milk byproducts in them for no good reason? Vegans, I feel your pain)

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Spitting up is no big thing.

Sudden and massive increase in spitting up is time to please at least speak to a Doctor on the phone fairly sharpish.

When your OP post contains the words 'New', 'Sudden' and 'Frequent' you want to talk to someone right away.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Our first kid threw up a _lot_ for a fair number of months; we took him in to the doctor, who gave us pediatric ranitidine (zantac), which helped a lot -- but for a while there we always had a bunch of extra towels in the car/etc. And there's nothing quite like doing the return half of an hour-long walk with the kid in a baby bjorn, and a couple of pints (or that's what it felt like) of vomit down your front.

The actual vomiting generally doesn't bother the kid anything like as much as it bothers you, but still, as everyone else said, get it checked out. If I remember correctly (and I am not a doctor) the real time to worry is if there's bile coming up, rather than just milk.

Her doc visit today went very well. As for the reflux, she hasn't had any in 70 hours, and as my husband and I have both had gastric troubles this weekend, the doctor thinks kidlet just had a little bug that wasn't making her sick sick, but sensitizing her to overeating, a too-tight diaper, and/or being picked up too quickly. It sounded plausible enough that I'm cautiously optimistic there's nothing seriously wrong--she did listen to her tummy, and said her digestion sounded normal (we gave her two ounces before leaving the house). Will keep her number handy in case it happens again.