As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2000 points of procrastination. (guilt trip)

TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
edited September 2006 in Critical Failures
Here's the deal. I've recently purchased over 5000 points of Dark Elves for Warhammer, and I have chosen out 2000 points of them to be my first army. The army list is finished, having been brainstormed and worked on for two months, so the figures I paint will be the figures I use. But now I have to... paint them.

And this is where you come in. As the title may suggest I like to procrastinate, and I am not likely to get them done any time soon if left to my own devices. Now, I go back to America in 53 days, and I would like to have this army finished by the time I get home. Here is what needs to get assembled and painted. (links so you know what I'm talking about)

Lord on Cold One with shield and Gaultlet of Power. (no set model, will be building off a Cold One Knight)

Sorceress on foot.

Noble with BSB, one on foot, one in a chariot (need two models so I can place him on the table if the chariot dies) (no set model again, will be using a Dark Elf Warrior)

Noble with lance and shield, same deal as the other.

Eighteen Dark Riders with spears and crossbows.

Ninteen Cold One Knights, one is a champion, one a standard bearer.

Two Cold One Chariots.

Two Reaper Bolt Throwers.

And there you have it folks. I have all the materials I need to assemble, paint, and base the army... now I just need a reason. So this is where you call me a hack, praise my work, call me a loser, tell me I can do it if I work at it, whatever. I don't care how you do it, but let's start working on that guilt trip!

(time for breakfast)

Meet me on my vast veranda
My sweet, untouched Miranda
And while the seagulls are crying
We fall but our souls are flying
TDL on

• thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    GET WORKING YOU LOUSY BASTARD. LOOK AT THOSE JELLY ROLLS. NOBODY LOVES YOU!

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'll kill a kitten if you don't, or if you prefer I can kill one if you do.

PiptheFair on
  • DuoDuo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    More like you have the money and the time. But not the will!

Why, I've never seen a more pitiful creature. Besides that time we found the starving Doppelganger who cared for sickly kittens. Let me tell you. We kicked his ass.

Really, though. If you're not going to use those minis, I know lots of poor kids with terminal diseases and they all have enough motivation to paint a MILLION minis!!

Duo on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    You're serving in the military in Korea. Your options are get drunk, masturbate, or paint your goddamn army. Two of those are pathetic, and the other is unhealthy and expensive. Go with pathetic, minus the chafing.

Thanatos on
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    You're serving in the military in Korea. Your options are get drunk, masturbate, or paint your goddamn army. Two of those are pathetic, and the other is unhealthy and expensive. Go with pathetic, minus the chafing.
    Your descriptions of the activities are cryptic and confusing. I feel we may need a Vinh Diagram to properly understand your intent, as those adjectives can be used to describe many of his current situations.

Also, kitten killing is still on the table.

PiptheFair on
  • The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    09-23-06_2234.jpg

I'll do it.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
    edited September 2006
    In all seriousness though, from what you've posted you're really talented. It would be a crime not to do it TDL.

PiptheFair on
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    I think this is what I'll go with for my Lord. It's the body of a normal Cold One Knight, and I used the arm from the old Dark Elf General figure to represent the Gauntlet of Power, as it is a decent bit larger than a normal DE fist.

lordwipfront.jpg
    lordwipback.jpg

The arm was holding a lance, so I had to trim it off and then cut, bend, and greenstuff the wrist straight.

EDIT: I think I'll paint his plate gold, and his mail silver. I want him to stand out a bit from the regular Knights, and I plan on painting their plate silver, and their mail bronze.

TDL on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    How 'bout this: I've never had a fully painted skaven army in the... fuck... twelve years I've been collecting them.

I'll match you model for model. Hell, if I get an army finished next summer, I can say that it took me thirteen years to paint my army... that would be awesome.

So, if I don't have you to match, my goals will fail and the Horned Rat will make me choke on my own phlegm. You don't want that, do you?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Sounds like the rumblings of some kind of painting club. That would be an awesome way for us all to finish off our painting backlogs.

-SPI- on
    edited September 2006
    This is the theme I have decided on for my Knights. This is the unit champion.

Obviously I need to clean it up a bit, but I really need to decide on a color for the drake. I'm thinking Enchanted Blue.

dreadknightwipfront.jpg

TDL on
    edited September 2006
    dreadknightwipfront2.jpg

TDL on
    edited September 2006
    That's a nice colour for the drake TDL. I'd suggest using some kind of wash on the armour though. It would bring it out.

So what do you guys think of the idea some kind of organised painting group. Like a "paint X models each week" or something on a regular basis. I think it would be fun, and a great motivation to get stuck and finish those lingering miniatures.

-SPI- on
    edited September 2006
    Thanks, I plan on hitting the metals up with a watered down black ink before I call it done.

I have about 6 weeks to get these things done in time to pack them up and ship them home. So in each week I need to paint...

9 Dark riders (2 weeks)
    2 chariots, 3 nobles
    2 reapers, 1 noble, 1 sorceress
    9 knights, 1 lord
    10 knights

If I can make that then the army will be done for my return home. And since tommorow is monday, this is convenient.

I'll commit to that, I think.

TDL on
    edited September 2006
    Fuck, I can't decide how to paint the horses for the Dark Riders. Nothing I am trying is turning out right.

I think I'll try a dark gray with black mane, tail and fetlocks.

TDL on
    edited September 2006
    lordwipfront2.jpg

The fist alone seemed sort of... boring. But you don't see many Dark Elves with axes.

TDL on
  • Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    TDL wrote:
    But you don't see many Dark Elves with axes.

Sure you do, once a dwarf/orc gets done with them. That doesn't look bad at all.

Ash-Housewares on
    edited September 2006
    horsewip1.jpg

This took me one hour exactly. But I'm satisfied.

First time I've actually used drybrushing on a finished model, normally I just fuck it up big time.

TDL on
    edited September 2006
    Looking good.

I went through my miniatures to find the army that has the least painted. My Tyranids have this left.

1 Carnifex
    1 Zoanthrope
    3 Warriors
    4 Ripper swarms
    11 Hormagaunts
    13 Genestealers
    10 Brain Leech'd imperial guard
    5 Genestealer Hybrids

So that's 48 models but they have less detail than Dark Elves.

So if I seperate them into ~6 weeks
    5 Hormies, Zoanthrope
    6 Hormies, 3 Warriors
    7 Stealers, Carnifex
    6 Stealers, 3 stealer hybrids
    5 Leech'd Guard, 2 stealer hybrids, 2 ripper swarms
    5 Leech'd Guard, 2 ripper swarms

The game is afoot!

-SPI- on
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    TDL, those are looking great!

Once my two weeks of 13 hour days are done (training for a new job) I'll totally match you model for model. I'll even two-fer you, since I'm going to be painting goblins. Hell, I'll probably have to three-fer you or some crap.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
    edited September 2006
    Thanks. :)

horsewip2.jpg

The flash makes the skin look weird, but it looks better in person.

I think instead of doing 9 Dark Riders this week I'll do all 18 horses, and do all 18 riders next week.

TDL on
  • PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    See, this is why I never got into Warhammer.

I don't have the patience nor the manual dexterity it takes to do all this painting.

You should see my Battletech miniatures. They're basically all solid colors.

Pkmoutl on
    edited September 2006
    My hands shake like a crack addict, you just have to work on it. I don't really enjoy painting, but I do want to play with a well painted army, so this is the sacrafice I make.

My first model looked like absolute shit, but you get better pretty quick.

TDL on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    TDL, those are honestly some great horses. I think you put a good amount of depth on their hair and skin.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Huh, this is exactly what I was talking about in the sticky. Mind if we make this a general procrastination thread, TDL?

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    drhazard wrote:
    Huh, this is exactly what I was talking about in the sticky. Mind if we make this a general procrastination thread, TDL?

I think a new thread would be better, particularly to have a relevant opening post. The Six Mouths had a good painting support thread, although it lost steam by the end of July.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited September 2006
    I can either rewrite the OP, or you guys can make a new thread. Whatever works.

TDL on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Heh, I just read this thread, and thats a damn fine horse, TDL. You need to start using dry brushing on the riders. :D

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited September 2006
    So many fucking horses...
    horsepile1.jpg

A little better...
    horsepile2.jpg

Much better...
    horsepile3.jpg

And in the morning they'll be dry, and I'll paint them.

TDL on
    edited September 2006
    Ok, I need some advice. I want to paint my Cold Ones red. Light red, dark red, it's not really important.

But I have no idea how to paint them red without making them look like ass. Can any of you give me any advice on how to paint a good looking red on a scaled creature?

Also, I'm undecided on what color to paint the scales. Should I just do them black, or something crazy like blue?

TDL on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    TDL wrote:
    Ok, I need some advice. I want to paint my Cold Ones red. Light red, dark red, it's not really important.

But I have no idea how to paint them red without making them look like ass. Can any of you give me any advice on how to paint a good looking red on a scaled creature?

Also, I'm undecided on what color to paint the scales. Should I just do them black, or something crazy like blue?

Paint a solid Blood Red coat on them, then go over the entire thing with a light ink, like Chestnut Ink.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I have no idea how this would turn out on a cold one, but two coats of blood red (don't goop it, two thin even coats mind you) over black primer then a coat of pure red ink gives a really dark blood red look. I painted a squad of Eldar Gaurdians for a friend one time like that. Looked good on them.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • KarilmatKarilmat Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    OK, I mentioned this in the 40K thread, but maybe it's more appropriate here. One thing holding me back from getting my Necron army together is I'm not sure what to do about giving my Lord a Staff of Light. They come with a warscythe built onto the model, and I'm not sure what to do about it. I have a Destroyer Lord box that comes with an extra arm with a SoL (I'll be using a Warscythe when I field the DL, so it's available), but I'm not sure what the best way of getting that over onto my foot Lord.

Any suggestions? I can post pics if that will help.

Thanks!

Karilmat on
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Hurm, I'm reluctant to sell off my Lord that actually has a Staff of Light, and I have no idea where I could actually find that model, so I can't help you there. However, I will say that, generally, a Warscythe is the better weapon. Once, in a thousand point game, my Lord took out a Devilfish, Battlesuit HQ, and a squad of Fire Warriors, and then my buddy had to leave before I could run over to rapify his Pathfinders.

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited September 2006
    Hmm, I have no chestnut or red ink. But a mix of black ink and graveyard earth worked pretty well.

coldonewip1.jpg

TDL on
    edited September 2006
    I really like the red.

My tyranids aren't quite going as I'd hoped. I dropped my zoanthrope and it's in pieces, no way am I putting it back together it was a nightmare the first time. So I might formulate some kind of conversion to use the bits in.

I should have my 6 hormies done by sunday night though so I'll be on track for this weeks quota, Sort of.

-SPI- on