As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Raspberry Pi

PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
I got a raspberry pi for my birthday a few weeks back and this weekend I finally had a spare few hours to throw at it.

I make a living as a c# programmer (doing vb6/.net on our legacy stuff *shudder*) and a strong 5+ years working in electronics engineering at the component level. So this little device looks like the perfect toy, saying that...I must say, im completely lost at where to start with this thing.

I got the OS working (Raspbian), messed around with the command line briefly and with the more windows like side of things. I downloaded some apps had a bit of a play getting used to things then made a super simple python program which I ran in idle.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I can start to get my teeth into the more technical side of things? I've also never used Linux before in any meaningful way.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-14385

Go down to the description and look at all the extras beyond the pi. You can get into the GPIO programming and build simple little switches and blinkers and all that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Mine Bitcoins with it!

• PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-14385

Go down to the description and look at all the extras beyond the pi. You can get into the GPIO programming and build simple little switches and blinkers and all that.

Cheers, I found a UK equivalent of what they do. Good idea.
    Mine Bitcoins with it!

That is brilliant, although I would have very little use for such an application. I sometimes I wish I had the creative side to go with my tech head. I would have never thought of something like that :)

We turned a raspberry pi at our office into a switchboard type device. Docs go into a room, flip a switch, and the front office staff can see which rooms are occupied on a program (and they assign doctors to certain rooms).

It also sends a signal to a physical unit that lights up a number.

GPIO programming is fun. Also there's a C++ library for it if you want to move away from python.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote: »
    GPIO programming is fun. Also there's a C++ library for it if you want to move away from python.

Oh man, thats what I wanted to hear. Would rather dust off my c++ then work on a new language. Got to try and find that.

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    For what it's worth Python is super simple and great for prototyping simple tools and kludges in rapidly. It'd be the defacto language of choice for the security community if Metasploit wasn't written in Ruby.

edited October 2013
    I've nothing against learning new languages, I'm not a fan boy of any in particular, but C++ will have work place relevance while python wouldn't so makes more sense to work on that since I "used" to know it. Some good suggestions and links. Cheers!

Prime on
    That and integrated platforms that are more advanced than the pi, typically use c as their language of choice.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I know I saw something a while back where people were using the Pi to make themselves Sonos on the cheap.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png