As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Decaying slowly from the brain down.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    The idea that dnb is the new scourge on music is so weird to me. Back in the day people we raving to shit that was just as, if not more so, doof doof 'noise' than skrillex

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    Welp!

I guess I am old!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    back in my day this were all green fields

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I'm just gonna post this here, because I guess it's the closest thing we have to a brain problems thread at the moment.

Yesterday, I noticed that some meat one of my roomies left out ot thaw was basically thawed, and was leaking meat juice out of the plastic bag it was in.

So I asked Joseph (One of said roomies) what should be done with it.

He answers "Well, one of two things..

A: You could- "

And at that point I stopped hearing anything he was saying, in lieu of thinking "Is this guy really categorizing his two fucking options on what to do with the meat?"

Not just categorizing, but labeling them by letters as he lists them off, alphabetically. All two of them.

I'm sorry for rambling about this, but I could not keep that to myself.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Is that really an issue? I usually do that as well, "option a or option b" and whatnot.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Well there are three options actually.

1, throw it out.

2, put it in the fridge.

3, go watch some tv and ignore it.

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

1, throw it out.

2, put it in the fridge.

4, rub it on your junk.

• HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »

1, throw it out.

2, put it in the fridge.

4, rub it on your junk.

5. Film yourself spinning it while Dead Or Alive plays in the background.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Is that really an issue? I usually do that as well, "option a or option b" and whatnot.

My thing is just... why not just list them off immediately?

It's not like he was listing off a series of points. I can understand doing something like this if you have a proper list of things to talk about. But it was just two things. Just say those two things.

Telling me that you have two things and then labeling them as you list them off just seems really superfluous.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

It may seem a bit superfluous, more of a verbal flourish than anything, but the dude was still just answering the question you asked him. Instead of thinking like he's exacerbating time, consider the fact that all he did was literally add a couple of letters to what he would've said otherwise. I mean we consider things as binary most of the time anyway: Good or bad, yes or no, right or wrong, pro and con, best case scenario or worst case scenario, etc.

It just strikes me as odd and kinda rude to lock immediately onto that and ignore the advice you're being given that you asked for.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I had always considered listing alternatives with titles (either letters or numbers) as an inherently condescending way to answer a question. Kind of like a teacher speaking to a student, or how you'd talk to coworkers.
    It's not something which would necessarily piss me off unless I were already in a mood, but it comes off as way too formal for a friendship

Psykoma on
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Yeah I list things by abc/123 all the time in general conversation (moreso at work) and I know plenty of other people who do it too.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

It's not like he was listing off a series of points. I can understand doing something like this if you have a proper list of things to talk about. But it was just two things. Just say those two things.

Telling me that you have two things and then labeling them as you list them off just seems really superfluous.

Because it's human nature to add little bits and pieces onto statements?

I mean look at what you said, you could easily cut a lot of fat out that too.

I do it too, no big deal

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    The way I see it Goatmon you got two options

A) chill out, dude

B) relax, guy

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    I mostly do it because if my response is longer than a couple of words, it's easier for the other person to just consider and maybe respond with "a" or "b".

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    The way I see it Goatmon you got two options

A) chill out, dude

B) relax, guy

S-

Saddam?

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    a) it's just a way to express one's points

b) it's going to be okay

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I mean I list 2-option lists for clients all the time but I usually do it by gesturing my right hand versus my left hand

makes it easier to force a direct comparison if y- ok you know what no I'm not actually going to engage with this as a serious thing to discuss

A) Viv don't steal my jokes

B) whatcha doin next weekend?

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    sometimes I'll go a-2-lastly

1-b-and on the third hand

not all the time of course

Sometimes I mess with people.

Option 1 and option B.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    1) Why not?

2) How come?

EDIT: t Viv, and also damn you Tef for making my joke better and faster than me!

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

It's been used erroneously in a lot of different situations, the bullet-point-style of listing options; for myself, I use it in the most light hearted manner possible and (purposefully) incorrect.

A. When I'm playing the gag straight

2. I make sure to mix numbers and letters

D. Skipping around in sequence facilitates the humor

In Sumerian conclusiveness, I rest on your face.

edited October 2013
    I know I've gotten old because

I don't recover as quickly from physical injury
    I wake with aches in my joints
    My skin is flipping the fuck out and reacting to every damned thing and there is also SOME rash SOMEWHERE that is PISSING ME OFF
    I have become far less tolerable of piss-poor excuses for inaction
    I frequently think to myself "man, those kids wearing those school uniforms are representing their school, they should know better than to act like assholes"
    My eyesight is shithouse
    I care far, far less what everyone thinks of me as a person*
    I get increasingly more hormonal with every subsequent month, to the extent that diaper commercials make me cry if it's the wrong week of the month
    I cannot be arsed to engage in every argument or discussion that comes up about a topic I'm interested in
    I have a dramatically reduced capacity to spend time with people I dislike or who ruin my mood
    I am more forgetful and use calendars and lists to organise myself; if it's not in my diary, it's not happening
    I have reduced patience for people who actively block their ability to grow as individuals
    I care about others but find others worrying about me to be a preposterous waste of their time
    I spent the last 3 minutes figuring out how to include the phrase "a preposterous waste of their time" into this list

*does not apply to what everyone thinks of my looks, which still matters to me, which is stupid

EDIT: actually half that list could just be a byproduct of having a job that I actually like doing, as opposed to one where I while away the time on the forums

Vivixenne on

a) DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME

b) Halloween party on Fri, Blake's got a buck's night that he is organising on Sat, then his sister's birthday dinner on Sun; we are time-poor this weekend but I'd be down to hang out on Saturday while Blake is out if you can provide transport

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    If you don't categorise each point of your response with at least four corresponding levels of sub-points then don't even talk to me.

Vivixenne wrote: »

b) Halloween party on Fri, Blake's got a buck's night that he is organising on Sat, then his sister's birthday dinner on Sun; we are time-poor this weekend but I'd be down to hang out on Saturday while Blake is out if you can provide transport

Well dang I was going to do a thing at my place down South and forgot that this was the busy weekend

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    c) there is totally room on your garage for a motorbike Viv, when are you getting a set of (two) wheels?

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    If you don't categorise each point of your response with at least four corresponding levels of sub-points then don't even talk to me.

1. Hi veldrin
    A. Cocks
    i. Dicks
    a. LOL

c) there is totally room on your garage for a motorbike Viv, when are you getting a set of (two) wheels?

DO NOT ENCOURAGE THE ENGAGEMENT MOTORBIKE THING, CHRIS

OR ON YOUR OWN HEAD BE IT

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I've developed a real, what's the word

crippling, "i should probably see a doctor about this" phobia around death

like, it started a few months ago, where i would start having huge panic attacks about dying--like what it feels like to be dying, or to be dead, and i'll just end up in tears

and then, sometimes, i'll spend hours just obsessing over it, just covering every possibility of what happens when i die--or, when doing something mundane, i'll get irrationally angry and think "now i'm x minutes closer to death and there's nothing i can do about it"

i think it's an outgrowth of the panic attacks i used to have a few years ago right before i fell asleep, where i'd become convinced the thoughts i was thinking were the last ones i'd ever experience, and i was 100% certain i would die in my sleep? they seem related.

and the thing is, i'm barely 26, i'm in great health (my last check-up ended with the words "whatever you're doing, keep doing it"), and i even mostly gave up caffeine and alcohol lately. but here i am, just a wreck over this, and i don't know why.

basically fun times.

Well dang I was going to do a thing at my place down South and forgot that this was the busy weekend

soz

would love to catch up before the 9-10 weekend but that's not looking likely :c

DO NOT ENCOURAGE THE ENGAGEMENT MOTORBIKE THING, CHRIS

OR ON YOUR OWN HEAD BE IT

The bike is for you?

edited October 2013
    there is no way in hell I'd buy a bike for me and not have Blake chuck a hissy about it to the point where getting engaged basically NEVER happens, is what I'm saying

Vivixenne on
    Really? He can ride bitch.

Wait so spell this out for me

Blake will not get engaged to you if you buy a motorbike?

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    1. This thread is whack.

2. I'm awake before noon what is this I don't even

C. 42.

488W936.png
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Really? He can ride bitch.

That's kind of rude.

Get the guy a sidecar, 'cause he's special.

Wait so spell this out for me

Blake will not get engaged to you if you buy a motorbike?

not if I buy one for me, he won't

have you heard him go on about the engagement motorbike? because I really doubt we have a social circle left that doesn't know about it

including his climbing friends and my volleyball team