As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steven Universe] 1. THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT TO SAY 2. SAY IT

King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
edited June 2015 in Social Entropy++
So Monday November 4th Steven Universe the new show by Adventure times Rebecca Sugar started up.

It rocks.

You may remember miss sugar as she wrote songs for adventure time
Like this one
http://youtu.be/d_2IZFqrXKI

Steven Universe Follows the adventures of the titular Steven as he has misadventures with the Crystal Gems a team of immortal badass lady heroes and his hippie dad who has interesting opinions on hot dogs. Rebecca sums up the entire premise pretty well:

http://youtu.be/Fh9tz_nKYYU

Characters
Steven Quartz-Universe
The energetic,optimistic,and somewhat dim protagonist of the series.
Steven dreams of being a cool magical warrior someday but his powers are unstable and his role models are kind of terrible.
That said Stevens special talents seem to compliment the personality defects of his guardians so maybe he'll be ok.
Steven's weapon is Captain america's sheild.

no really.

Pearl

Pearl is as her name implies delicate. A very capable warrior and strategist Pearl always has a plan. If that( or anything really) derails from her expectations she tends to freak out a bit.
She's heavily implied to be Stevens surrogate mother being very protective of him . She and Amethyst are generally at odds having drastically different approaches to life

Her weapon is the spiral spear but she prefers swords

Amethyst

A total Hedonist in and out of battle. Steven and her share a brother sister relationship and she encourages his less desirable qualities like messiness and slacking off. She means well though and will drop everything to save Steven. She sometimes clashes with the other Gems due to her more chaotic personality especially Pearl.
Her weapon is the Thorn Whip .

Garnet

The ace of the team Garnet is possessed of a third eye and as a result has limited psychic abilities. She uses these to direct her teammates and see where trouble will arise across the globe
Garnet is very purposeful and seemingly lacks emotions possibly due to the concentration needed for her powers . Her facade cracks if Steven is in danger . Steven very much wants to grow up to be like her and she in turn sees his actual potential

Her weapons are the Star guantlets. Garnet has two gems and thus two weapons why has not been explained yet.

Rose Quartz
Stevens deceased(?) mother.she gave up her corporeal form to birth her son. She had various ancient gem weapons and never told people where they were for some reason.
She was the previous leader of the gems and loved by pretty much everyone.
She has a Holodeck and Batcave but her main weapon is also a shield .

Greg universe
Stevens human father. A generally cheerful guy who live in a van and owns a car wash. The show hints that losing Rose( and Steven apparently) was super rough on him . he loves his son and despite everyone's best efforts they share a similar outlook on life .
Gregs weapon is a laser cannon his wife left him and his Battle van

Connie
Stevens by the book gal friday. She very much compliments Stevens enthusiasm and ignorance with much needed skepticism and book smarts . She secretly yearns for a life like Stevens though and the two are just super cute together.

Onion
Onion is Satan.

Petey Fryman
Petey is the oldest twelve year old. Constantly trying to be mature for his dad and throwing away his childhood to do it. Steven seems to be his only friend .

Lars
steven is lars only friend.
Because Lars is kind of a dick. Deep down he's not a bad guy just an outsider. He is unaware he is dating Sadie

Sadie
Lars ' long suffering better half. She's very nice .

Ronaldo Fryman
Frohike without the other lone Gunmen. A conspiracy theroist that doesnt quite get the weird stuff happening around beach city is due to the Gems,

Opal
Gem fusion one
the gianganticAmazon Archer Opal! She is awesome and also hawkeye . She is a combination of Amethyst and Pearl so understandably she doesn't show up often.
She is a more carefree graceful peroson than her compenents. Pearl is the dominant personality

Her weapon is the Light Arrow and Goddess bow

Sugilite
Sugiilite is not a good person. A fusion of Amethyst and Garnet she is obsessed with individuality and power . Pearl is terrified of her and in her debut she demonstrates why .
Amethyst is the primary personality
Her weapon is the Slammer Mace

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
King Riptor on

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Cookie Cat makes me think of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as12-yZGg-k

488W936.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I'm supposed to watch a cartoon with stupid, terrible rap songs.

Yeah, no thanks.

• Options
    Ok?

I mean you could have just not posted but whatever.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    A cartoon with stupid, terrible rap songs?

Sign me up!

• Options
    Not just rap. Steven singing on a whim is a big part of the show.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Good post, guy!

This looks alright, I will Czech it out once it finally (read:never) gets to Australia

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I'm supposed to watch a cartoon with stupid, terrible rap songs.

Yeah, no thanks.

HELLO I AM HERE TO TELL EVERYONE I FIND THIS THING YOU ALL ENJOY TO BE VERY STUPID GOODBYE

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think it looks perfectly well made but between Adventure Time, Bravest Warriors, Bee and Puppycat and, arguably, Regular Show I have kinda reached my fill on this subgenre of cartoons.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

And that's exactly why I loved chowder.

I hope this show lasts longer.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I think it looks perfectly well made but between Adventure Time, Bravest Warriors, Bee and Puppycat and, arguably, Regular Show I have kinda reached my fill on this subgenre of cartoons.

I think this is going to be a full, regularly aired show on Cartoon Network

Bravest Warriors and Bee an Puppycat are both great but they are still kind of weird, intermittent internet things

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    This looks to be more character driven than most of those.

Well except bee and puppycat maybe.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    the concept of 'cookie cat' sounds like one of those things that is designed to appeal to the internet. like, its one step removed from 'bacon puppy' or something

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Cookie Cat makes me think of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as12-yZGg-k

Is that Mako

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I wish I could find the opening theme song for this because it's pretty fuckin rad

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    the concept of 'cookie cat' sounds like one of those things that is designed to appeal to the internet. like, its one step removed from 'bacon puppy' or something

To be honest, as television and Internet blend into each other this will become more commonplace

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    maybe so hopefully not

its very similar to how i felt when i saw the title 'bee and puppycat'. even the phrase puppycat scream internet bullshit that is meant to spawn a meme and maybe a song or two

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    maybe so hopefully not

its very similar to how i felt when i saw the title 'bee and puppycat'. even the phrase puppycat scream internet bullshit that is meant to spawn a meme and maybe a song or two

I think you may be a little uptight about the internet subculture stuff dude

Its just a half puppy half kitty

Chill

• Options
    edited October 2013
    maybe so hopefully not

Chill

Ward and allegri just like cute weird animals

Catbug for example

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Farg are you dissing Bee and Puppycat

Is this what you are doing

Because dissing the pure joy that is Bee and Puppycat is the road that leads to madness

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Having no idea what the fuck a puppy cat is, is it a blatant ripoff of catdog??

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Why did Sugar leave the AT crew anyway?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    Cookie cat is probably supposed to be a cute sounding name aimed at children and internet folks alike.

Or the creator just likes the name because it's adorable.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    to do her own thing

pretty amicable, as far as I know

• Options
    maybe so hopefully not

Chill

please be more condescending

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    KING RIPTOR JUST WANTED A NICE THEEAD ABOUT CARTOONS AND NOW LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE

I HOPE YOU'RE ALL HAPPY

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I know it was just randomly chosen to fit the rhyme scheme but it's pretty cool the Cookie Cat song ends with mention of route 109. That was the road that went through the center of my town when it was a little kid.

The theme song often gets stuck on repeat in my head. I think I will dig this show.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    Bee and Puppycat still hasn't been funded!!!!

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    This show looks pretty cute! I might give it a try

• Options
    maybe so hopefully not

Chill

I wasn't being condescending!

I was just saying its just a cute animal with a cute name

There is no reason to think it was like, created specifically to be a meme or anything

• Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    When I first saw the commercials, I didn't think the show was going to be anything special.

Then I saw the pilot episode and I fell in love with the character designs. I hope the show does well.

• Options
    maybe so hopefully not

Chill

There is no reason to think it was like, created specifically to be a meme or anything

i think there is a reason to think things like that, or at least to think it is meant to evoke a certain reaction out of a certain crowd that is getting tiring at this point

this is a fine opinion to express and just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean the other person is overreacting and needs to chill

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

Chowder and Flapjack were ahead of their time. Taken to soon from us, Metalbourne.

Taken too soon.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »

Chowder and Flapjack were ahead of their time. Taken to soon from us, Metalbourne.

Taken too soon.

I could not deal with Flapjack

Loved Chowder though

• Options
    I wish I could find the opening theme song for this because it's pretty fuckin rad

http://youtu.be/6OIGgDiHszo

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    VoproSTEIN wrote: »
    When I first saw the commercials, I didn't think the show was going to be anything special.

Then I saw the pilot episode and I fell in love with the character designs. I hope the show does well.

The character designs seem to have changed in style quite a bit between pilot and actual show.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    maybe so hopefully not

Chill

i think there is a reason to think things like that, or at least to think it is meant to evoke a certain reaction out of a certain crowd that is getting tiring at this point

this is a fine opinion to express and just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean the other person is overreacting and needs to chill

Well I'm sorry I offended you

And I'm sorry internet culture bums you out

But I'm not sure that writing off anything that involves the word "kitty" or "bacon" is the best way to go about things?

Puppycat is a cute mascot character and the show is a take off of magical girl anime

It has very little to do with internet memes, and I hope that memes don't prevent you from at least giving kitty based entertainment a shot

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Whoa. It turns out that Bee and PuppyCat is everything I want right now. I really hope it gets funded!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »
    VoproSTEIN wrote: »

The character designs seem to have changed in style quite a bit between pilot and actual show.

Apparently this was on purpose and meant to further drive home that tge gems are decidedly inhuman in comparison to Steven

• Options
    Cello wrote: »
    Whoa. It turns out that Bee and PuppyCat is everything I want right now. I really hope it gets funded!

I put in 10 bucks

I feel like the world building in there could be really interesting

This discussion has been closed.