As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Just moved - Computer now running very slow under load

Hey gang,

I moved yesterday and my computer has started nosediving. If I have anything more than 2 or 3 tabs open it starts slowing down real bad and games are now near unplayable. It worked fine the day before.

Any ideas on causes? It is an older place. Is it possible that the outlet I'm using isn't providing enough juice? I don't know squat all about electrical work. No clue what could be going on. It wasn't dropped although the door panel did fall off but only because I forgot to secure it. Help!

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Check to make sure one of your RAM sticks didn't get popped out of its slot, maybe?

• tendoboy101tendoboy101 Registered User regular
    I didn't hear it click or feel it slide in but I'll be, everything SEEMS to be running ok right now. Fired up FFXIV and GW2 and they are running fine. I was hoping for an easy fix and it appears that is it. You are the raddest of bros today. Thanks!

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Check your fan cables, too. Never know what comes loose due to vibration.

• MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    First guess would be an airflow issue. I'd check the temps on your CPU with something like CoreTemp during slowdown and post them here. If the new place is hotter, or your computer is getting less airflow than it was before (i.e. moving it in to a corner, under a desk now when it was on top, etc), then your CPU can overheat. Often the CPU will then be forcibly slowed down to prevent damage. As already suggested, fan cables could also cause an issue for similar reasons.

1tLJUH2O.png
    OK, I thought I had it fixed but I was wrong. Things I have done since this post.

tried an older graphics card
    reformatted
    updated drivers
    checked temps
    smart scan and checkdisk
    made sure everything was wired properly

here is a more specific description:
    I can hear my graphics card stutter at the same time the game stutters. I swapped in a spare card though and it still happens. Check disk and smart scan appear normal.

I can cause it to stutter. Fps will be smooth but if I turn so new objects or textures need loaded it stutters until loaded then it becomes smooth again. Graphics settings have no real affect.

My only thought is that when I moved it was dropped or bumped and now the HD is failing and struggling to load textures and game data fast enough? I'm not really sure. Maybe a psu issue?

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Do you have another PCIe slot you can put your graphics card in? The slot may be damaged, which could be causing the problems you're having.

Going on the dying HDD theory, are you sure the noise you are hearing is coming from the video card? I had a system that progressively got worse, which involved a clicking noise coming from within the machine. Every day was more painful to deal with, until the drive finally died. If this is the case, you need to get a new HDD ASAP, as the HDD has a physical error on the surface of the disc and there isn't a thing you can do except stop using it if you plan on saving anything.

To check the PSU, look into the intake fan and check to see if there are any blown capacitors. It will be obvious if there are any, as you'll seem yellow-to-white foam oozing out of the capacitor(s).

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    Checked all that but while working on it I found the issue - my heatsink had become lose. Reapplied thermal paste, bolted it back down, and life has been good. Thanks for the advice!