As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC-AU: Round Two

OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
edited October 2006 in Graphic Violence
Thebatman.jpg
Kryptoanim.jpg
800px-Legion_of_Super_Heroes2.jpg

While the current Batman series as well as the Kyrpto series can't be called new, both shows as well as the new Legion Of Super-Heroes series all appearing on Kids-WB at the same time marks a new age of DC animation, one separate from the continuity-driven DC Animated Universe. With their first day together over with, what geek, critique, or other type of comments do they bring up in fans like us who tend to read the adventures of their comic-book counterparts?

Owenashi on

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    were any of them any good?

I know The Batman's crap, but the preview for the new season made it look like they finally figured out how to do things.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The girl on the left in that legion picture is like "Who the... what the fuck?"

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Krypto's a fun little show.

The Batman is a shameful display of everything wrong in the world, though.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    The girl on the left in that legion picture is like "Who the... what the fuck?"

Or, you know...

In da butt is what I'm trying to say here.

august on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2006
    There's nothing wrong with Krypto, it's just a goofy little kids show. I don't think it was ever intended to be chock full of continuity references

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    On the whole?

Meh.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    There's nothing wrong with Krypto, it's just a goofy little kids show. I don't think it was ever intended to be chock full of continuity references

Thats the thing that many people forget, is that a lot of these shows are being made for kids, who probably have never even seen these characters outside of the television.

Now the new line of series coming out, the first movie based off of Judas Contract and such will be a different story.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I've actually enjoyed certain episodes of The Batman. I suppose a lot of that came from the simple fact that it was a show about Batman and Batman alone, which is something I started to miss when JLU was on. Not to say JLU wasn't fan-fucking-tastic. It was just different.

Also, The Batman's best villains are somehow the ones that BTAS did the worst. Firefly, Bane, and Catwoman are particular standouts.

Still, lightyears removed from the quality of the DCAU.

OH GOD OH GOD I WANT THE OLD DCAU BACK I AM GOING THROUGH WITHDRAWALS FUCK

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    I really think The Batman's main problem is that they know they can't live up to TAS so they try to be different except they go way too far.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I always wished DC would preserve the Timm-universe somehow after all the shows stopped their runs. It would make a great 'primary secondary' universe, a large and well-developed AU comparable to Ultimate Marvel.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Harrier wrote:
    I always wished DC would preserve the Timm-universe somehow after all the shows stopped their runs. It would make a great 'primary secondary' universe, a large and well-developed AU comparable to Ultimate Marvel.
    Isn't the JLU comic still going?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Harrier wrote:
    One comic, and who knows how long it will last? If they seriously wanted to keep the DCAU around, there would be more comics that took place in animated continuity. At the very least, there should be Animated Batman and Animated Superman monthlies. Hell, maybe Animated Flash too, since it looks like we'll never see Wally again in the regular DCU.

Harrier on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Harrier wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Harrier wrote:
    One comic, and who knows how long it will last? If they seriously wanted to keep the DCAU around, there would be more comics that took place in animated continuity. At the very least, there should be Animated Batman and Animated Superman monthlies. Hell, maybe Animated Flash too, since it looks like we'll never see Wally again in the regular DCU.

Or, instead of 'animated' comics, maybe they could actually make the actual animations.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Harrier wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Harrier wrote:

Or, instead of 'animated' comics, maybe they could actually make the actual animations.
    I don't care, I just want the universe to stick around.

Harrier on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I like some things about the Batman. The animation is quite good and the fight scenes are top notch. But it fails when it tries to do anything else.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Harrier wrote:
    I've actually enjoyed certain episodes of The Batman. I suppose a lot of that came from the simple fact that it was a show about Batman and Batman alone, which is something I started to miss when JLU was on. Not to say JLU wasn't fan-fucking-tastic. It was just different.

Also, The Batman's best villains are somehow the ones that BTAS did the worst. Firefly, Bane, and Catwoman are particular standouts.

Still, lightyears removed from the quality of the DCAU.

OH GOD OH GOD I WANT THE OLD DCAU BACK I AM GOING THROUGH WITHDRAWALS FUCK
    And the ones TAS did well are fucking atrocities.

Any villain that fails WITH CLANCY BROWN is a failure as a series.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Dex Dynamo wrote:

i have no clue what you're saying here

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    tombomb666tombomb666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Dex Dynamo wrote:

The characters done well in TAS are not good in The Batman.

tombomb666 on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Yes. Example: Mr. Freeze- a masterpiece in B:TAS. A moronic filler villain in The Batman. See also the fucking joker.

You can't not give your a-game to the joker. He's the joker.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Geebs wrote:

Thats the thing that many people forget, is that a lot of these shows are being made for kids, who probably have never even seen these characters outside of the television.

Now the new line of series coming out, based off of Judas Contract and such will be a different story.
    New line of series based off of the Judas Contract? Wasnt the entire Terra storyline in the Teen Titans cartoon based on the Judas Contract? Except instead of making her a complete asshole like in the comics, they made her a dynamic character?

BiggNife on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    BiggNife wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Geebs wrote:

Now the new line of series coming out, based off of Judas Contract and such will be a different story.
    New line of series based off of the Judas Contract? Wasnt the entire Terra storyline in the Teen Titans cartoon based on the Judas Contract? Except instead of making her a complete asshole like in the comics, they made her a dynamic character?

Not exactly. It's a new line of direct to dvd movies skewed towards readers, not so much the little tikes. The first movie (I think) is supposed to be based on the Judas Contract, with Wolfman involved in the production.

EDIT - Heres the link

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    tombomb666 wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Dex Dynamo wrote:

The characters done well in TAS are not good in The Batman.

oh

well what he said sounds like "Even the ones that TAS did well sucked"

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Yeah, I should've worded that better.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    BiggNife wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Geebs wrote:

They made her about as much of a furry as you could get.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A poster on Newsarama placed up episode descriptions from the Toon-Zone sub-site World's Finest for the rest of the new episodes for The Batman's current season. Take a look at what other new characters will appear this season besides Robin.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=85190

Owenashi on
  • Options
    radical_mutationsradical_mutations Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Harrier wrote:
    [/b]

This is because you don't have anything to compare them too. The Batman isnt a bad series, its just not as awesome as BTAS.

radical_mutations on
    HAHhahhaHAHAHhahHAHHAhHhaahHAHAAHHhHAhaaHAA... Wait-a-minute... That's not funny!
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Harrier wrote:
    [/b]

This is because you don't have anything to compare them too. The Batman isnt a bad series, its just not as awesome as BTAS.

You have the comics to compare TAS to.

Now, if I was eight, and I hadn't seen TAS or read comics or anything, yeah I'd most likely enjoy it

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    RantRant Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Owenashi wrote:
    A poster on Newsarama placed up episode descriptions from the Toon-Zone sub-site World's Finest for the rest of the new episodes for The Batman's current season. Take a look at what other new characters will appear this season besides Robin.

Episode #51 - The Joining, Pt. 1
    Original Airdate - Unknown

John Jones, a new detective in Gotham, hints that he may know Batman’s secret. Batman must uncover this mysterious figure’s true identity and whether he is a friend or a foe. The answers prove shocking.

Episode #52 - The Joining, Pt. 2

Gotham faces its biggest threat ever – an alien invasion. Determined to save his city on his own, Batman learns even the greatest heroes must sometimes rely on a team.

I guess they're going to follow up on the popularity of JLU with their own take on the Justice League.

Rant on
    I have neither given nor received unauthorized assistance on this assignment
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    That sounds pretty redundant.

Did Timm and Dini die or something?

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Rant wrote:
    Owenashi wrote:

John Jones, a new detective in Gotham, hints that he may know Batman’s secret. Batman must uncover this mysterious figure’s true identity and whether he is a friend or a foe. The answers prove shocking.

Gotham faces its biggest threat ever – an alien invasion. Determined to save his city on his own, Batman learns even the greatest heroes must sometimes rely on a team.

I guess they're going to follow up on the popularity of JLU with their own take on the Justice League.
    But... an alien invasion?

Does this mean theyre going to do the white martians again? Or Thangarians? What other major agressive alien race is there in the DCU? Bobgorilla is right, that IS redundant.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    BiggNife wrote:
    Rant wrote:
    Owenashi wrote:

But... an alien invasion?

Does this mean theyre going to do the white martians again? Or Thangarians? What other major agressive alien race is there in the DCU? Bobgorilla is right, that IS redundant.

There's a race of kryptonian-like people whose weakness is lead instead of kryptonite. Doxamites or dolamites or something.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Dolemite.jpg

Dolemites?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    RantRant Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It's probably more likely White Martians than Daxams. I mean, you have J'onn J'onzz--oops, I mean John Jones--show up in part one. It's basically Secret Origins Redux.

Rant on
    I have neither given nor received unauthorized assistance on this assignment
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Dolemite.jpg

Dolemites?

Batman is one screwed honky.
    She was always about one misplaced shift away from fucking a dog.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Oh the things I've seen on the internet~

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    korodullin wrote:

Hey, we never did see any Teen Titans hentai in that thread.

Why isn't it Chatlogged?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    korodullin wrote:

Why isn't it Chatlogged?

If you want I could dig some u-I MEAN YOU SICK BASTARD.

<.<

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    korodullin wrote:

Why isn't it Chatlogged?

<.<

Why do they make beast boy a girl.

WHY DO THEY MAKE BEAST BOY A GIRL

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Bloods End wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    korodullin wrote:

Why isn't it Chatlogged?

<.<

Why do they make beast boy a girl.

WHY DO THEY MAKE BEAST BOY A GIRL

....what.

My better judgement is really against this, but I think I'll need a PM.

Fencingsax on