As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Seven Soldiers!

DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
edited November 2006 in Graphic Violence
5116400x600kz8.jpg
Written by Grant Morrison; Art and cover by J.H. Williams III

Does the debut of an incredible new superteam begin here...or is this the end of the line for the most bizarre group of heroes ever known? Fresh from their hit miniseries, seven unique and unlikely soldiers must join forces to save humanity from its own future! The only catch? They can never meet!

Klarion, Zatanna, The Manhattan Guardian, Bulleteer, Mister Miracle, Frankenstein and The Shining Knight return for the epic conclusion to the Seven Soldiers mega-series, as the apocalyptic threat of the Sheeda intensifies to a terrifying, unexpected climax.

Which of the Seven Soldiers will betray the others? Which two will cross paths? Who will find love at the end of the world? Who will change forever? Who will face the ultimate villain? And which Soldier will die?

For all the answers, and much, much more, don't miss SEVEN SOLDIERS #1!

DC Universe | 32pg. | Color | $2.99 US

On Sale October 25, 2006

It began so long ago, the conclusion is hopefully a few weeks away.
Pretty much the best comic event I have ever read. So much awesome in seven four-issue mini-series. Manhattan Guardian and Frankenstein are my favorites by a wide margin.

Finally read Frank 4! Man that was good stuff! Now to find Bulleteer 4 and Mr Miracle 4... Is 7S1 still set for Oct 25 release?
links:
My Comic Shop has most of the issues for good prices.
Annotations!

DouglasDanger on

• Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    This is..at least, the fourth Seven Soldiers thread created since the series started.

I keep meaning to reread the entire series, as I only read it month by month as it came out. Maybe some day...

It should be out the 25th, then again it should have been out months ago.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I have read all of the issues I have several times, both in release order and by character. Great stuff. It would be really great to get a Seven Soldiers ongoing of some sort, but I doubt that will happen. It would be a dream come true though.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I think Morrison, DiDio, etc.. have said at many panels that they are both open to trying out ongoings for certain characters, Frank in particular.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    I have the 3 TPBs out, and was going to pick up the issues that aren't collected yet, but then I thought, "Oh I'll get them all" because the store had them and I hate having only parts of stories, but then I thought "Oh that's too much money" and put everything back

whoops

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    I have the 3 TPBs out, and was going to pick up the issues that aren't collected yet, but then I thought, "Oh I'll get them all" because the store had them and I hate having only parts of stories, but then I thought "Oh that's too much money" and put everything back

whoops

Not having enough money is never an excuse.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    I think Morrison, DiDio, etc.. have said at many panels that they are both open to trying out ongoings for certain characters, Frank in particular.

That would be great! I have faith in Morrison to ensure it is placed in good hands.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:

they have to kill of a few more characters first

to make room, you see

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:

to make room, you see

:?:

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I am worried about who will die. I like all of the characters! Ieven like Alix, who is in my opinion, the least heroic of all of the Soldiers.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:

to make room, you see

actually I don't think any superbuddies are left now, so never mind

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:

to make room, you see

Dan Dido kills people.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Alright? Why bring that shit in a once clean thread?

The only person who hasn't showed up in any other book since their series has been Shilo, which leads some to believe that he isn't making it out of Seven Soldiers alive, which would be fine by me, since we already have a perfectly fine Mister Miracle. Scott also has one more thing going for him..

Intact genitalia.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    If there are spin-off books, I hope Didio is smart enough to screw up the creative teams. Morrison is a golden boy for DC, and unlike Marvel, I think they realize it. I have hope.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Morrison would have to write it..these are his children.

They were supposed to be his JLA.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    As long as they give Ryan Sook more work.

I enjoyed different parts of each series differently. As a character, Klarion was my favorite. Artistically, Sook on Zatanna. Storywise? The end of Zatanna, the later Guardian books, most of Klarion, the second halves of Mister Miracle and Bulleteer.

I'd say my least favorite minis were Shining Knight and Frankenstein (though 3 had some interesting ideas, and more Neh-Buh-Loh is always good).

I was totally sad about the death of Gimmix, though. Her bag of trix was great.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    If there are spin-off books, I hope Didio is smart enough to screw up the creative teams. Morrison is a golden boy for DC, and unlike Marvel, I think they realize it. I have hope.

Just wait. Morrison turns around for a second and BAM.

Supernova's been Batman the entire time.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A clone of batman.

A clone of batman who touched Jason Todd.

Actually Bruce Wayne is the satanic clone who touched Jason Todd and Told Hal the other GLs thought he was fat, then made a robotic fear worm to cover it up.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    What the hell does any of that have to do with Seven Soldiers? Or anything logical for that matter?

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It was a joke. For the sake of humor.

ON Topic, Seven Soldiers is rad. Though Scott Free is infinitely cooler than Shilo Norman, no matter what happens.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I'm just wondering how the whole New God's thing is going to turn out.

Note: I have only read the trades, so if it was explained in the individual issues I do not know what.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    hey, i keep hearing conflicting answers

so

does anyone actually know why it was so delayed?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Bloods End wrote:
    I'm just wondering how the whole New God's thing is going to turn out.

Note: I have only read the trades, so if it was explained in the individual issues I do not know what.

Would be nice to see that expanded on. Of course, that situation there is kinda like this story I believe they did in Thor's title while he was busy in Heroes Reborn, what with some of Thor's buddies slumming it as humans and Odin being this drunk bum. It was a long time ago, so I might be off on a fact or two there but I'm pretty sure Marvel did a story or two like that. Hopefully, they won't explain it all away by a reality-punch or Alex Luthor's tampering.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Servo wrote:
    hey, i keep hearing conflicting answers

so

does anyone actually know why it was so delayed?

I think what happened was that Morrison kept delaying the final issue, probably because he's writing a ton of stuff and doing a bunch of conventions, then he rewrote a bunch of it, taking even more time. Meanwhile, JH Williams is saying, "Shit, I gotta eat this month," and he takes a few different pencilling jobs. I know he did that first Dini Detetive Comics and something else. Anyways, then Morrison wrote some more stuff, and he realized he'd have to expand the issue to a double-size one, or maybe just bigger than an average 22 pages; I forget. So by the time the script got to Williams, it was longer than he'd expected, and he was already working on different stuff, so it took a long time to get around to it and then actually finish pencilling it.

I personally think some Seven Soldiers stuff is going to pop up in 52, which led to all the rewrites for the final bookend.

Munch on
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    I like how every single Seven Soldiers artist except Cameron Stewart and (I think) Doug Mahnke was signed to a Marvel Exclusive immediatly following or in Pascal Ferry's case during their Seven Soldiers runs.

Coincidence? Probably.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    $$$$

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    After reading Bulleteer 4, I think Alix is my least favorite Soldier. The book was good, but her refusal to accept the responsibility of her new power would make Peter Parker very mad.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    After reading Bulleteer 4, I think Alix is my least favorite Soldier. The book was good, but her refusal to accept the responsibility of her new power would make Peter Parker very mad.

If you vag was turned into pure steel you'd be pretty peeved yourself.

You folks can use that if you want.

My least favorite had to be Shilo. Maybe it's because Im biased, or just couldn't get into his book, but each issue left me feeling 'meh' about the whole thing.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Bulleteer was probably my favorite, although I'm kind of fuzzy now on the series. I disliked Miracle and was kind of indifferent towards Klarion and Frankenstien.

Scooter on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Klarion and Fankenstien were so aweomse, though. It was like Tim Burton with balls the size of flaming asteroids.

august on
  • Options
    The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Mister Miracle kicked substantial ass as well.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Mister Miracle has all this interesting [spoiler:2a437265db]young black celeberty shit going on. Also, I didn't understand at the end if he was alive or dead or what. I'd like to go back and read it again, but I'm away from most of my comics.[/spoiler:2a437265db]

august on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    [spoiler:b091573518]I'm guessing he's still alive at the end of his series and dies in Seven Soldiers #1[/spoiler:b091573518]

(note that I've only read the first two issues of his series so I could be wrong)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Man I am going ot read Frankenstein 1-4 right now.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    august wrote:
    Mister Miracle has all this interesting [spoiler:46501790ca]young black celeberty shit going on. Also, I didn't understand at the end if he was alive or dead or what. I'd like to go back and read it again, but I'm away from most of my comics.[/spoiler:46501790ca]

[spoiler:46501790ca]It was all a dream.[/spoiler:46501790ca]

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    august wrote:
    Mister Miracle has all this interesting [spoiler:81e14b9ac2]young black celeberty shit going on. Also, I didn't understand at the end if he was alive or dead or what. I'd like to go back and read it again, but I'm away from most of my comics.[/spoiler:81e14b9ac2]

[spoiler:81e14b9ac2]It was all a dream.[/spoiler:81e14b9ac2]
    [spoiler:81e14b9ac2]More of a test/trial put on by Metron, and time still passed, so I think some of it did happen.

The interesting part for me seems to be the idea that somehow Apokalypse and New Genesis were destroyed, and that the New Gods are all on Earth now.[/spoiler:81e14b9ac2]

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Two things:

1) RE: Mr Miracle:
    [spoiler:b83f0e6c2a]Rereading it this weekend, I'm beginning to think that maybe it all did happen, but when Shilo escapes the life-trap he's sort of 'healed' and Metron sends him back to the beginning of the week. Sort of like Majora's Mask.[/spoiler:b83f0e6c2a]

2) Has anybody read/picked up the Seven Soldiers of Victory Archives? I saw it at the store yesterday, but of course they're all still shrinkwrapped so I couldn't really look through it.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    2) Has anybody read/picked up the Seven Soldiers of Victory Archives? I saw it at the store yesterday, but of course they're all still shrinkwrapped so I couldn't really look through it.

I haven't picked it up, but if you like Golden Age stories then by all means.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Nothing, justifies waiting times this rediculously long. This book better be crack cocain.

Mr.Mircale
    [spoiler:87aeb9ec05]Doesn't Darkseid have better things to do than make fun of quadriplegics?[/spoiler:87aeb9ec05]

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Nothing, justifies waiting times this rediculously long. This book better be crack cocain.

Mr.Mircale
    [spoiler:e30ab75936]Doesn't Darkseid have better things to do than make fun of quadriplegics?[/spoiler:e30ab75936]

[spoiler:e30ab75936]Darkseid always has time to make fun of quardiplegics.[/spoiler:e30ab75936]

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:

Mr.Mircale
    [spoiler:cc45455313]Doesn't Darkseid have better things to do than make fun of quadriplegics?[/spoiler:cc45455313]

[spoiler:cc45455313]Darkseid always has time to make fun of quardiplegics.[/spoiler:cc45455313]

He's the goddamned Darkseid.

Bad Karma on