As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I want to start, please help this newbie!

BuraianBuraian Registered User regular
edited September 2006 in Critical Failures
Ok so today I bought a pair of dice with a 20 sided dice, a normal one, a 10 sided one. 7 dices in total. (check them out here)

I bought them because i love Penny Arcade, and i feeled the vibe of the whole epic Roll for Initiative thing but i dont know what it is.

And i would really like to do something with my dice. Only thing is that on the whole internet i cant find a real good 'how to start with table top/d&d type games' guide. So could someone help me and guide me into this dice world thingy. Maybe start of with something simple for me to do with my dice?

I know nothing so... yeah...

PS. would like to know what the Roll for Initiative is and why its so epic and all the rules and stuff.

Mario Strikers Charged; 2234-3890-3756
Pokemon Diamond; Coming Soon
Mii name; Bryan

Brumski!
Buraian on

• INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Roll for Initiative is epic because it's what your DM says when combat begins.

"The dragon stares you down, its fiery ruby eyes flaring within their deep sockets. "Fools!" he roars! "How dare you step foot into my lair?!"

Roll for initiative."

INeedNoSalt on
  • headn00bheadn00b Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I feeled the vibe as well, you are not alone.

(It feels sort of like silk)

headn00b on
    Your sig was too tall.

-Thinatos
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Buraian wrote:
    7 dices in total.

Just for future reference, dice is the plural of die.

Maybe you should check out Knights of the Dinner Table? KODT.com has some online strips, about people roleplaying...

Otherwise, just go to that store you bought dice from, and sit down and slowly read through the 3e D&D Player's Handbook. They might also sell 'Roleplaying for Dummies'.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • TinMan1997TinMan1997 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Does TSR (wizards, Hasbro, whoever) still sell canned adventures with pre-created characters and such? That's actually not a bad way to get things started...

TinMan1997 on
    logo_top.gif
    edited September 2006
    TinMan1997 wrote:
    Does TSR (wizards, Hasbro, whoever) still sell canned adventures with pre-created characters and such? That's actually not a bad way to get things started...

I beieve there is a set that's the PHB, dice, adventure, and characters. Don't know if you can still find it, though. I remember it around 3.0 launch...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • BuraianBuraian Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Ok guys awesome replies and so quick and all but i still dont know what a roll for anitiative is. And wtf is DM? Ok ok, i figured it stands for Dungeon Master who is, i guess like the controller over the game or something.

Look guys im a real noob who would like to get some real anwsers. Act as if you need to explain things to your unknowing parents.

So whats roll for anitiative?
    And what are these roll playing games you talk about?

Buraian on
    Mii name; Bryan

Brumski!
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Reynolds wrote:
    Buraian wrote:
    7 dices in total.

Actually, the plural is dice, the singular is die. (1 die, 2 dice). :P

Nerissa on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I belive what would be good for this young man is the D&D Basic Game.

It's a box set that comes with introductory rules, a board, some minis, premade characters and stuff for begining players.

Then when he's played through that with his friends, there are the three core D&D books The Players Handbook, the Dungeon Master's Guide, and the Monster Manual.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Buraian wrote:
    Ok guys awesome replies and so quick and all but i still dont know what a roll for anitiative is. And wtf is DM? Ok ok, i figured it stands for Dungeon Master who is, i guess like the controller over the game or something.

Look guys im a real noob who would like to get some real anwsers. Act as if you need to explain things to your unknowing parents.

Ok... ok.

Think about it as a play, mmkay. One person is the GM, game master, or dungeon master or keeper or whatever. The others are all actors in the game. The GM gets the play moving, while the PCs (player characters, or the actors) move around in the world or scenario he has created, often using dice to help determine the results of their actions.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Nerissa wrote:
    Reynolds wrote:
    Buraian wrote:
    7 dices in total.

That's exactly what he said.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited September 2006
    thorpe wrote:
    Buraian wrote:

Ok... ok.

Think about it as a play, mmkay. One person is the GM, game master, or dungeon master or keeper or whatever. The others are all actors in the game. The GM gets the play moving, while the PCs (player characters, or the actors) move around in the world or scenario he has created, often using dice to help determine the results of their actions.
    Exactly, roleplaying games like Dungeons and Dragons are games where you and your friends take up a role and play out scenarios often called adventures in a fantasy or science-fiction setting.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited September 2006
    thorpe wrote:
    Buraian wrote:

Ok... ok.

Finally an anwser that gets me somewhere. Now is it possible for me to take part in such a play without real life friends, because my real life friends are not the type to play this kind of stuff.

Are there like single player campaigns or something?

oh and still the q; What is roll for anitiative?

Buraian on
    Mii name; Bryan

Brumski!
    edited September 2006
    Buraian wrote:
    thorpe wrote:
    Buraian wrote:

Ok... ok.

Finally an anwser that gets me somewhere. Now is it possible for me to take part in such a play without real life friends, because my real life friends are not the type to play this kind of stuff.

Unfornatly I don't think there are solitare roleplaying games at least that I know of.

Your best bet would be trying to get your friends interested. D&D has name recognition and is an old standby for many roleplayers. I think it would be a good introduction for you and your friends into a roleplaying game. Like I suggested pick up the D&D Basic Game and sit down with your friends and get them to play it, it'll play much more like a boardgame but it'll be a good introduction to the basics, then you can move them up to the real 3.5 rules sets which are in the three books, the "PHB" or players handbook the "DMG" or Dungeonmaster's guide and the Monster Manual.

Also, an initiative roll is from D&D, it decides who goes first in a combat scenario. The higher the roll on the D20, the sooner your character get's to make their action.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Buraian wrote:
    thorpe wrote:
    Buraian wrote:

Ok... ok.

Very few solitary RPGs, and most of them blow. You need video games for that. Still, you can check out your local gaming store for other people to play with. And there is always the internet.

Initiative is a common attribute (stuff like strength, intelligence, wisdom, etc that help define your character) in RPGs. When you are fighting something, like a monster or thugh or whatever, you "roll for initiative" to determine in what order the combatants attack, with a bonus to the roll from your Initiative attribute. So a high score=good, because you attack sooner.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    thorpe wrote:
    Buraian wrote:
    thorpe wrote:
    Buraian wrote:

Ok... ok.

Very few solitary RPGs, and most of them blow. You need video games for that. Still, you can check out your local gaming store for other people to play with. And there is always the internet.

Initiative is a common attribute (stuff like strength, intelligence, wisdom, etc that help define your character) in RPGs. When you are fighting something, like a monster or thugh or whatever, you "roll for initiative" to determine in what order the combatants attack, with a bonus to the roll from your Initiative attribute. So a high score=good, because you attack sooner.

This is sort of my problem with RPGs too. My RL friends, if they game at all, usually game as far as the latest Madden console game. And none of them are in this part of the state now anyways. And crashing some random gaming store to learn from those guys...yea, I'd rather just not.

Which leaves the internet. Are any of the games that start here appropiate for a newbie, and does money have to be spent on on stuff for online games?

Scooter on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    thorpe wrote:
    Buraian wrote:
    thorpe wrote:
    Buraian wrote:

Ok... ok.

This is sort of my problem with RPGs too. My RL friends, if they game at all, usually game as far as the latest Madden console game. And none of them are in this part of the state now anyways. And crashing some random gaming store to learn from those guys...yea, I'd rather just not.

Which leaves the internet. Are any of the games that start here appropiate for a newbie, and does money have to be spent on on stuff for online games?

Well, that depends on the game. Some of them offer free, legal downloads of PDFs of the books, or quick-start versions or something. Others you have to buy the core-book, and sometimes a supplementary one would help greatly.

yalborap on
  • TinMan1997TinMan1997 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The official D&D website has good intro info, and a link to the Basic Set, which should get you going. Heck, its got me tempted, and I don't roleplay.

Components:

16 fully painted miniatures (4 heroes and 12 monsters)
    4 double-sided map tiles
    4 character sheets
    7 dice
    Quick Start Rules
    First Adventure Book
    Advanced Rulebook

TinMan1997 on
    logo_top.gif
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Nerissa wrote:
    Reynolds wrote:
    Buraian wrote:
    7 dices in total.

That's exactly what he said.
    Wow, I totally read that backwards... I could've sworn he'd said die is the plural of dice. That's what I get for trying to read and search for map-making utilities at the same time, I guess...

Nerissa on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Reynolds wrote:
    Maybe you should check out Knights of the Dinner Table? KODT.com has some online strips, about people roleplaying...

I'm going to second this. KoDT is a great introduction to role-playing. It's a hilarious comic strip showing people just playing a game around a table. The art is crap, action is non-existant, but it's one of the most hilarious things I've ever read. It really captures the essence of gaming with your friends, and also the essence of playing with a bunch of retards, who are also your friends.

http://www.kenzerco.com/index.php?cPath=22_23_53

They don't seem to have a regular webcomic anymore, but they do have some samples on this page, which should help.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2006
    Ok i watch some of the KODT flash cartoons and i read some game ideas and campaigns here on the forum so i kinda get the picture.

One thing is clear; the DM needs to know the most about the game, the players really dont need to know the details because they are only playing. Another thing i've learned is that i dont need a RL group to play with. I have skype so i would really give this whole thing a try some times.

bryan-geon is my skype, so if someone with the knowledge and patients could skype me that would be fun for me to learn some more and maybe even play a little. Thanks everybody.

Buraian on
    Mii name; Bryan

Brumski!
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A generic play by post game or Skype game could be a fun project for people interested in just starting out. It wouldn't take much effort really.

And as for your local game shop... you can find some ads there. Talk to the guy behind the counter and he should be able to point you in the right direction. You're not under any obligation to keep playing with those people. As much fun as online roleplaying can be, it will never be as cool as sitting around a table with a bunch of other nerds and having some good times.

zenpotato on
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Reynolds wrote:
    Buraian wrote:
    7 dices in total.

Otherwise, just go to that store you bought dice from, and sit down and slowly read through the 3.5e D&D Player's Handbook. They might also sell 'Roleplaying for Dummies'.

Fixed that for you.

Joeslop on
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Here's the deal--I'm looking to refresh myself on the DMing rules of DND3.5, so I'm going to run a play by post game for those interested in learning. I'll be using http://www.rpol.net. It's nice and simple RPing forum software, and it should get the job done. Anyone interested in learning the rules (please, noobs only, as the game will likely be too bland and boring for the vets since I plan on keeping things simple to teach the game's mechanics) should head over to RPOL and register. Then request to access to the game entitled "Of Dice and Men" under the fantasy heading.

I'll make a separate post for this later today.

This game won't be uber long or epic, but it will give you an understanding of the creation process, basic D20 mechanic, and combat. Let's shoot for the ability to post once a day, give or take. More info later tonight when I start the other thread.

zenpotato on
    edited September 2006
    Joeslop wrote:
    Reynolds wrote:
    Buraian wrote:
    7 dices in total.

Otherwise, just go to that store you bought dice from, and sit down and slowly read through the 3.5e D&D Player's Handbook. They might also sell 'Roleplaying for Dummies'.

Fixed that for you.

I don't play 3.5e. I already shelled out my money, they're not going to get more just for some errata.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Reynolds wrote:
    Joeslop wrote:
    Reynolds wrote:
    Buraian wrote:
    7 dices in total.

Fixed that for you.

I don't play 3.5e. I already shelled out my money, they're not going to get more just for some errata.

Yes, but for someone starting out, it's probably better to have them read through a more balanced version of the game, even if you prefer the old one. Especially since the rules, if you want them, are you know, free.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Reynolds wrote:
    Joeslop wrote:
    Reynolds wrote:
    Buraian wrote:
    7 dices in total.

Fixed that for you.

I don't think they even make the 3e books anymore, and 3.5 is superior, so there's no reason to recommend 3e to the new guy because you think you got screwed over.

Joeslop on
  • PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Reynolds wrote:
    Joeslop wrote:
    Reynolds wrote:
    Buraian wrote:
    7 dices in total.

Fixed that for you.

(PSST: The errata is downloadable from the WotC website, if I remember correctly. I agree. I already paid my 80 zillion bucks for their fancy books, fuck buying them again)

The D&D Basic Game thing isn't a bad idea. I picked it up when it came out (before they put the miniatures in it) and I've used it several times just as a "Okay, you are here and they are there. Do you understand why you can't do that now?" kind of scenario. I think it's a damn fine introduction to the system without dumbing it down. I remember back in the 90's, TSR put out a bunch of these as a series, but the systems were more like HeroQuest than AD&D or D&D. I have one or two of them that I picked up along the way somehow, and this Basic Game is far more complete.

Also, for those of you new to this, you don't have to start with D&D. If Fantasy isn't your thing, there are always games of another genre that you can try, and some of them have a less confusing system (admit it, people, the system is kind of overwhelming at times for new players). I know people who have cut their RPG teeth on the Storyteller System or even on Gamma World.

I feel bad for whoever's first game was FATAL, though.
    "You need to know the width of my WHAT? Are you sure this is how Roleplaying works?!?"

Pkmoutl on