As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recommend me a Simple but Fun Video Game

LanchesterLanchester Registered User regular
Hey H/A, I'm pretty sure I've seen several of these threads before, so I'm sure you can help out.

My wife will be having surgery on her knee soon and therefore will be bed ridden for a while. I've been thinking of maybe getting her a game to play to help pass the time...the problem though, is that she isn't a big video game person. Actually, the only thing she's ever played is Wii Sports and 5 minutes of Super Mario Bro's for Wii, which she really liked but didn't seem to play again.

She only ever seems to watch me play, and anytime I try to get her to play, she says she's not interested because all the games I play seem overwhelming and too complex for her.

So, what would you guys recommend that would be fun, yet simple for someone who doesn't really play video games. PC is out because she can't be sitting at a desk, but I have PS3, 360, and wii...so don't really have any restrictions there.

Bonus if the game isn't too costly. It's not a dealbreaker, but considering she's having surgery, money saved is always a plus.

• HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    Do you have a tablet? She might like fruit ninja, etc.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Portal/Portal 2 are relatively simple and engaging from a game mechanics standpoint while remaining pretty interesting, both are on PS3 although I can't comment on how they control without a mouse/keyboard having only played them on PC.

• Jeremy23000Jeremy23000 Indie Developer Halifax, Nova Scotia, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Maybe a simple RPG would be a good fit? Something she can play at her own pace (Ni No Kuni was pretty good).
    Little Big Planet might be interesting to her as well, or Animal Crossing.
    Minecraft might be good too.

TD2_PA_Signature.jpg
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Pokemon if you have a DS

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    Plants vs. Zombies is an excellent choice, it's a simple concept with a phenomenal tutorial that teaches you the game without feeling too slow. it's one of the few games that I can give to any of my non-gamer friends and have them immediately pick it up, without help. I gave it to my mom and now she's better at it than me.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    The telltale adventure games and Tetris are simple enough and easy to pick up

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    My wife doesn't really play video games either...except for Castle Crashers and Battleblock Theater.

They are both easily available (they're downloadable titles for the 360, though Castle Crashers is also available on PS3), have pretty simple control schemes, and lots of content. The later levels of both can get a little more difficult, but both of them support 4-player co-op so you can play with her. I think they both cost $15 each.

The various Lego games typically have very easy controls and lots of content, along with being multiplayer. I think the most recent ones are Lego Batman 2, Lego City Undercover, and Lego Marvel Superheroes, all of which are supposed to be open world (though I haven't had a chance to play any of them yet). The newest one (Marvel) is probably still $50 but the older ones should be much cheaper.

I'd probably take a bunch of suggestions in this thread and then show her the trailers (or demos if they have them) and let her pick what she finds interesting. Of course, not being a video game person she may prefer a good book or a TV series on dvd, or something else entirely.

Lars on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Journey and Flower would be my recommendations.

With Love and Courage
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Angry Birds, Plants vs Zombies, Candy Crush, possibly take a picture of her though, you might not see her again if you start her on candy crush

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The Sims 3. Also avaiable on console.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Depending on the definition of simple, platformers are a great place to hang out for a bit. Rayman is fun and fairly forgiving, particularly with 2 people playing.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • LanchesterLanchester Registered User regular
    Heartlash wrote: »
    Do you have a tablet? She might like fruit ninja, etc.

No tablet, but we do have a Nook (see what I did there??)
    Pokemon if you have a DS

I love me some pokemon, but unfortunetly we don't have a DS or any portable gaming system.

Awesome!! Thank you everyone for the suggestions. If anyone has anything else, keep'em coming

• localh77localh77 Registered User regular
    One game that I like for non-video game people is Katamari Damacy. The only thing you need to use are the two PS3 joysticks. And the tutorial takes about 3 minutes. It's the only game that's been simple enough for my 3 year old daughter to play so far.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Resident Evil 4!

• SentrySentry Registered User regular
    Any of the lego games would be good. Just pick her favorite IP and get the lego game associated with it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Journey and Flower would be my recommendations.

These two are great games, yes!!! I second them, but they are really short in game time unfortunately.

• grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Chime?

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    If she couldn't get down with Mario then I doubt there's some other magic bullet that she'll like

Mario is basically the gateway drug

or just go back to that well, because when you're stuck in bed, anything can seem interesting

I would echo Plants Versus Zombies though. that's pretty universal.

• AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    I'll third the vote for a Lego game. They are the definition of "simple but fun video game".

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on