As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 10/23/2013 - "I am Spider-Man"

UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
edited October 2013 in Graphic Violence
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #28 Spider-Man and his Amazing friends fight the science team! Miles aplogizes to Ganke.
K3VEiVS.jpg

DTqaABb.jpg

mAyZ0QQ.jpg

The Flash #24 Goodbye Manupal Flash double page spreads :(
cvZsNnI.jpg

TkN8sS3.jpg

Also I like the transformed reverse flash design for some reason.
dTdwMdn.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
UltimateInferno on

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I loved the possible revelation in FF#13
    That we may be getting a baby/kid watcher, who would then hopefully end up on the future foundation. Because how fun would that be!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    My match was all of Sex Criminals #1 (yeah, I know I'm late on it).

Pretty Deadly was also really good.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Sell me on PRetty Deadly.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Pretty Deadly is a fantasy Western about Death's daughter hunting down evildoers, written by Kelly Sue DeConnick and illustrated by Emma Rios.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    DeConnick and Rios is basically the next Fraction and Aja in terms of creative chemistry - the book is absolutely gorgeous and while it was only the first issue and had a ton of setup/exposition to do, it did so in a really creative and interesting manner.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Sounds a bit like East of West.

Little bit, except that it's set in the actual Old West and not a dystopian alternate past future America, and the Apocalypse isn't happening

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    It has an a very grimey folklorish feel too. Which with Emma Rios on the art, it's got the rough-hewn look for it too. It's an absurdly good-looking book.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Anyhow, this thread needs a moment from this week's Young Avengers #11

Loki and Leah have a nice phone chat!
    gwHBJHA.png
    Era6XZC.png

They go back to the ship and there is a lot of angsty sadness! Everybody is pretty sure they're going to die, but Prodigy reveals a secret power...

rwhrkhH.png

The power of SOCIAL MEDIA!

wgr5x2K.png

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Anyhow, this thread needs a moment from this week's Young Avengers #11

Loki and Leah have a nice phone chat!
    gwHBJHA.png
    Era6XZC.png

They go back to the ship and there is a lot of angsty sadness! Everybody is pretty sure they're going to die, but Prodigy reveals a secret power...

rwhrkhH.png

The power of SOCIAL MEDIA!

wgr5x2K.png

That last page you had there makes me think that Prodigy is Marvel's Nightwing.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Spider-Girl to Troll?

Yeah I don't get that connection either.

• AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Maybe Troll has been on the tune. Do you guys feel like this was meant to be a spread and was chopped down? It was wedged in between ads which made me think they lost a page to advertisements.

All in all this YA issue was GREAT.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Spider-Girl to Troll?

WHat you should be asking is "Wait, Troll can use a phone?"

Also where the fuck is Cho? GAWD!

Quire.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Guys this is a rather sad looking MOTW thread, let me help a bit.

Unfortunately the MOTW worthy bits from my favorite issue of this week, Sex Criminals #2 are NSFW and I can't post them.

I can post this moment from Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #5 though, as Spock gives his latest plan a field test.
    epZ7T7W.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And I have more!

Uncanny Avengers #13

Cap, Havok, and Wasp manage to take down Banshee, but it leaves Cap a little worse for wear.
    qCddWcx.jpg
    LksjJsb.jpg

Things are looking dire for certain other members of the Unity Squad though.
    YiETgjE.jpg
    AIUlX46.jpg
    4RgwbE5.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I love Ed Brubaker.

I love Steve Epting.

I loved Velvet #1
    U6HG8rI.jpg
    HVpWK1P.jpg
    pAzhkJ8.jpg
    Br55lws.jpg
    gSjyzPg.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Even though I already loved Jason Aaron's work, if you had told me pre-Wolverine and the X-Men that he would somehow make me not even just not hate Quentin Quire anymore, but actually turn him into one of the best characters in this current generation of X-Men, I would have laughed at you.

And yet.

Wolverine and the X-Men #37
    zapBc7o.jpg
    TfShpgW.png

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The guy I get Avengers codes from hasn't sent me the code for Uncanny Avengers #13 yet. :(

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Phoenix Quentin is the best

like great costume, great attitude, just fuckin yeah

CYpGAPn.png
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Amigu wrote: »
    Maybe Troll has been on the tune. Do you guys feel like this was meant to be a spread and was chopped down? It was wedged in between ads which made me think they lost a page to advertisements.

Gillen said that's the case and there'll be more characters popping up in the next few issues that weren't shown there

Furu wrote: »
    Amigu wrote: »

Gillen said that's the case and there'll be more characters popping up in the next few issues that weren't shown there

Well it wasn't that they lost a page to advertisements, they just chose not to make it a double page spread because they wanted the space to keep the somber tone of the issue.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I can post this moment from Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #5 though, as Spock gives his latest plan a field test.
    epZ7T7W.jpg

Uh. Norman Osbourne is Sandman now? That is what I'm seeing?

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    epZ7T7W.jpg

They have always had the same hair. You are talking about the hair, da?

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    epZ7T7W.jpg

Somehow I assumed there could only be one with that distinctive getup. I mean. Two Spider-Man villains with the same hairstyle? What are the odds? And, I mean, couldn't Sandman have any hair he wanted, and he chose that?

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    epZ7T7W.jpg

Somehow I assumed there could only be one with that distinctive getup. I mean. Two Spider-Man villains with the same hairstyle? What are the odds? And, I mean, couldn't Sandman have any hair he wanted, and he chose that?

I think that was the go-to short/curly hairstyle design back in the day. Add old school limited colour palette to the mix, and you get a few characters that look the same.*

*Pulled from my butt

Yeah Flint Marko has always had that hair.

Tboltssandman.jpg

Amazing_Spider-Man_615.jpg

004-_Nothing-Can-Stop...-The-Sandman_.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Marko really enjoying himself a wee bit too much in that last panel

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    So does 616 Electro now look like Ultimate Electro? Is that a new thing?

EDIT: Also, isn't
    Mysterio still imprisoned in the Ultimate universe?

Undead Scottsman on
    It's Mysterion, a dude Kingsley gave Beck's gear to. Appeared in an earlier Avenging Spider-Man story.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Also, Byrne retconned it to make Osborn and Sandman related. Not sure if that got re-retconned, or just ignored.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I really liked Velvet #1, if only the new Moneypenny could even be close to that cool (I really hated the new Moneypenny in Skyfall). It's one of Brubaker's most evenly paced issues I've read in a long time.

Pretty Deadly #1, very very pretty, but the story hopped around a bit too much trying to have that stilted structure with an outside narrator while the story still goes on, and I kind of missed something at the end that wasn't really clear:
    Sissy and blind dude are on their own, they shoot that guy who shot at them, and then when he realizes Big Alice is after that book they're now all riding together? Like, what? If they were all traveling together the panels don't really show that, as Sissy and blindman are kind of by themselves around the campfire and then you see the other three pop up.

Probably trade wait PD, definitely sticking with Velvet.

• tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    Pretty Deadly is a fantasy Western about Death's daughter hunting down evildoers, written by Kelly Sue DeConnick and illustrated by Emma Rios.

You had me at Emma Rios

PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Pretty Deadly sounds awesome, but as is my way, I'll have to wait/hope for a trade paperback. Yes yes, single issue this, digitals are awesome that. That's just how I roll.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Superior Chameleon looks fly as hell

CYpGAPn.png
  • Mars the other aresMars the other ares Registered User new member
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Superior Chameleon looks fly as hell

That's the Chameleon? I thought the Red Hood had escaped from DC Comics.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Pretty Deadly #1, very very pretty, but the story hopped around a bit too much trying to have that stilted structure with an outside narrator while the story still goes on, and I kind of missed something at the end that wasn't really clear:
    Sissy and blind dude are on their own, they shoot that guy who shot at them, and then when he realizes Big Alice is after that book they're now all riding together? Like, what? If they were all traveling together the panels don't really show that, as Sissy and blindman are kind of by themselves around the campfire and then you see the other three pop up.

Probably trade wait PD, definitely sticking with Velvet.

My read on Pretty Deadly:
    Fox is well-known around there as an eccentric old blind guy with mysterious abilities, and the young gunman, who was camped out separately from Fox and Sissy, was just fucking with him, testing to see if the legends about him were true.

Fox gathers them all up because he knows them, and knows they don't deserve to die just for being jackasses.

I dunno, I quite liked the weird flow of Pretty Deadly. It leaves some questions for the reader to figure out, but I think that's a good thing. It introduces the characters through their actions, rather than a bunch of exposition.

• orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Finally got to open up Velvet. Damn if it didn't have me hooked by that last page. I love a good spy novel and this looks like it has potential to be great.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!