As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We've gone too far in the [GIANT BOMB] thread

19899100101102104»

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Titanfall is going to be best on the PC anyway so meh.

i really don't think it will.

Millions of transistors, Inquisitor.

millions

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I've played about 3 hours of Arkham Origins today and boy fucking howdy do I not give a shit about that game.

Perhaps I haven't played enough to get any new shit, but so far, it really really REALLY feels just like more AC. Which was a very fun game, a game that I quite liked but maybe in my head I'm thinking, "Is almost exactly more of that, but kinda not as polished and still just the exact same thing 2 years later, is this worth $60?" And to me, the answer is no.

I think I'm gonna return it to Gamefly, not buy it on Steam when it hits $20 during the Xmas sale and hope I'm ready for more ass-beating shenanigans when Rocksteady's comes out in a couple of years.

Or maybe I'm just bored with Batman. That could be part of it.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Titanfall is going to be best on the PC anyway so meh.

i really don't think it will.

It's a high speed FPS, when I played it I went with a shotgun because moving fast and aiming precisely with a controller never works well in my experience. A mouse and keyboard will be ideal for that game.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    except that this apparently isn't what the people who actually made the game wanted or agreed to

I doubt EA is doing this illegally , which means they had every right to

And after IW's last fiasco, you think they'd be more careful about who gets rights to what in terms of IP

So if they really didn't want that, well, they messed up

Titanfall is gonna be a hit either way and they're gonna see a good payday

god damn it vow

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    fuck publishers so on and so forth

(Devolver's alright)

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    you realize something can be a jerk move without being illegal.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Arkham Origins is a great game.

Would be in the level of the other two if it weren't for the bugs IMO.

• Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    After playing both I think I vastly prefer the Stanley parable's method to gone home.

I don't really think Stanley Parable and Gone Home are that comparable outside of "First person exploration" games. All that really says is that you prefer a comedy game over a more emotionally driven one which, sure okay.

Regardless both are fantastic and everyone should play both anyway.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    After playing both I think I vastly prefer the Stanley parable's method to gone home.

I don't really think Stanley Parable and Gone Home are that comparable outside of "First person exploration" games. All that really says is that you prefer a comedy game over a more emotionally driven one which, sure okay.

sure they are. They are both narrative driven games that simply involve walking and listening to a narrator. However, Stanley engages the player much more into the experience and gives an immense amount of re-playability and actual exploration, rather than on-the-rails walking.

It also lets you move around the map at a quicker pace, which I just prefer in a game anyway. I don't want to walk through molasses.

As a game experience, I think that Stanley succeeds where Gone Home does not.

• Options
    edited October 2013

sure they are. They are both narrative driven games that simply involve walking and listening to a narrator. However, Stanley engages the player much more into the experience and gives an immense amount of re-playability and actual exploration, rather than on-the-rails walking.

It also lets you move around the map at a quicker pace, which I just prefer in a game anyway. I don't want to walk through molasses.

As a game experience, I think that Stanley succeeds where Gone Home does not.

I think Stanley's engagement of the player and immense amount of re-playability are precisely why it isn't that comparable to Gone Home's on-the-rails walking. Stanley is completely about subverting the narrative while Gone Home is strictly about experience this one solid narrative.

As game experiences they're different enough just by your examples of quicker pace and map availability. Gone Home is a structured pacing because that's how the story is told. Lengthy and drawn out. Stanley is designed around repeated events and require a faster pace of the character.

Gone Home absolutely succeeded it just succeeded at a different thing then Stanley Parable succeeded at.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    i once ate so many pistachios, it made my kidneys hurt

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Things can operate differently and still be compared. I think that SP is a better game than Gone Home because it actually implements game mechanics that are enjoyable to engage with rather than slowly walking and listening to cassette tapes.

Not everything has to be great and succeed and everyone hold hands. Gone Home has pretty good writing and especially great VA work from the narrator. I don't think it's a very good game, and when it comes to the visual novel type of experiences you can get a better game, for cheaper, that does more.

Langly on
  • Options
    I mean in your example you would have to have two sets of media that do exactly the same thing to ever compare them, and that's not true.

• Options
    I was thinking less of an apple and oranges comparison and more a granny smith apple to a fuji apple. They're the same thing but are giving you two different experiences.

WT83sWz.jpg
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    I love both games, but I preferred the setting and atmosphere of Gone Home, it felt more real. I understand Stanley Parable wasn't going for that, but I loved the big spooky empty house with the eternal thunderstorm, and could have spent more hours searching the thing and never get bored with the place. I like Stanley's ever-shifting office building, but it felt...more impersonal as a setting.

Of course, I'm a giant emotional baby, so that could have also tied in to why I prefer Gone Home.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    Mike One Percent Blais

man why you gettin' all up on my ways
    blingin' out my nerd shit like it's some kind of craze
    drop coin on stupid shit til the end of my days
    1% swagger 99% blais

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    Mike One Percent Blais

1% swagger 99% blais

That's... Like no swag at all

You are swagless, mike blais

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Man I'm gonna have to make a tumblr account to follow all these guys aren't I?

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    And before you tell me you mean you have the swagger of a 1%er

Shutup

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Playin Origins. Just finished the Royal Hotel.

For a bit I was getting really bored with it because it does feel really really similar to AC but then
    the Joker/Bane dynamic starts which I find very interesting and while I am still mostly tired of Joker stories, I have to say Origins has one hell of a Joker. Baker absolutely kills it with the voice and a Joker that is just meeting Batman and figuring out who he really is is way more compelling than OH BATSIE for the billionth time.

The same goes for Batman and his relative obscurity and inexperience. There is a lot more character work being done here than the other games ever touched on and I am absolutely loving it.

Basically the gameplay is almost identical to AC and a little dull because of it but the story is wonderful and keeping me interested.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    Mike One Percent Blais

1% swagger 99% blais

That's... Like no swag at all