As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GIANT BOMB Has Been Rated

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    MrDapper wrote: »
    The one time I was not the DM the guy who was didn't understand RPing. Like didn't understand why I gave my character a backstory.

Do a character voice constantly.. Show up wearing a cape and a chain shirt...

Just make that guy super uncomfortable.

Because that guy sucks at dming.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    The one time I was not the DM the guy who was didn't understand RPing. Like didn't understand why I gave my character a backstory.

Was he more focused on min-maxing?

Yep, he did make it so my level 2 rogue had a crazy stealth modifier, like +12.

That's how I would play D&D, and everyone would hate me.

also:

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    As long as you ain't a dick about it (Which really just means that the other people playing don't mind it) min-maxing is fine

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    He's an okay dude, he just plays it super different. He also plays Eve which I think explains it.

That session ended with someone trying to convince me to rob a king so it ended okay.

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Was he more focused on min-maxing?

Yep, he did make it so my level 2 rogue had a crazy stealth modifier, like +12.

That's how I would play D&D, and everyone would hate me.

Yeah.

...yeah.

I mean, maybe not hate.

But for me the fact that it's a group of people improvising a story is what's so cool about it. The fact that you can do literally anything as long as you can convince the GM to allow it is incredible.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i reeeeeeeally dislike power gamers

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I want fan art of The Baffler stat.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
    Pooper gamers

• nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    D&D. I would want to have fun. It is assumed to be a game with friends and I couldn't care less about winning if it inhibits my ability to enjoy myself. But I also assume I would be a good D&D player.

• HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I'm the type who would play a Dwarf Wizard, because I like to overcome shortcomings with strategy.

I also like being contrary

HugmasterGeneral on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    heh

shortcomings

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    The problem with min-maxing is it skews encounter designs for the DM since he can't tailor it to the min-maxer because that'll make it too hard for the rest of the party and vice versa

And there's the issue of Comparative Impotency since you're likely to be Doing The Most Cool Shit in combat if you've crunched the numbers to optimize.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    There's a difference between seeing DnD as a game that is a series of obstacles to overcome and seeing it as mainly a roleplaying vehicle, and they're both ok.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    My character would be a min/maxed 16 year old who constantly shouted "get on my level" and was eventually killed in his sleep by his companions.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I never powergame

I find it kinda boring and I'd rather play an interesting character with flaws than Supercool Perfectman

• Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    This Ellen Page news talk on the Bombcast is getting into some existential crisis levels of what is a person really when it comes to a person's digital likeness, man.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    More dark souls with vinny is the best dark souls!

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    This Ellen Page news talk on the Bombcast is getting into some existential crisis levels of what is a person really when it comes to a person's digital likeness, man.

it's kinda really time

I mean

we're at the point where this is a real goddamn thing

the notion of humanity is a terrifying abyss of what if's

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

it's kinda really time

I mean

I dunno man it's be talked into the ground

it's probably time to turn the Page on this discussion

Remember when Lt Barclay made that holodeck program where he could beat up the bridge officers and mack on all the ladies.

• HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »

it's kinda really time

I mean

Here I am... in a game again

There I am... on the screen

Here I go... playing star again

There I go... Ellen Page

Uriel wrote: »
    Remember when Lt Barclay made that holodeck program where he could beat up the bridge officers and mack on all the ladies.

remember that episode where Lt Barclay did anything cool ever

and then you woke up

rfilyaw wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »

it's kinda really time

I mean

Here I am... in a game again

There I am... on the screen

Here I go... playing star again

There I go... Ellen Page

Ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuck

edited October 2013
    Uriel wrote: »

Also Geordi accidentally duplicated a scientist lady when he was trying to figure out a problem and he fell in love with her. Then he met the real her in a later episode. It was super awkwaaaaaard

HugmasterGeneral on
    last adventure path in my pathfinder group, we were in the final "dungeon" which was this crazy pocket realm made by an insane millenia old fae

and we encountered an annis hag who was HELLA FUCKING EVIL but not hostile at all

she was answering all kinds of questions for us in return for us answering questions for her

we were about to leave when she asked what we wanted to do with the kids

"what kids we asked"

oh the 50 or so that she had abducted from our kingdom and was preparing to cook

she then offered us a deal

trade our druid's animal companion, a bear that he loved more than anything in the world and he had been with for literally over a year

my party spent an hour debating this

at which point I turned to the dm, told him that I was going outside the hut

4 gunshots later I come into the hut, dragging a bear and immediately head to the basement to the shock of the druid

long story short, when you pick my character to be the head law enforcement officer of the kingdom, and also true neutral, I will trade a stupid fucking bear for 50 kids every time whether you want me to or not

last adventure path in my pathfinder group, we were in the final "dungeon" which was this crazy pocket realm made by an insane millenia old fae

and we encountered an annis hag who was HELLA FUCKING EVIL but not hostile at all

she was answering all kinds of questions for us in return for us answering questions for her

we were about to leave when she asked what we wanted to do with the kids

"what kids we asked"

oh the 50 or so that she had abducted from our kingdom and was preparing to cook

she then offered us a deal

trade our druid's animal companion, a bear that he loved more than anything in the world and he had been with for literally over a year

my party spent an hour debating this

at which point I turned to the dm, told him that I was going outside the hut

4 gunshots later I come into the hut, dragging a bear and immediately head to the basement to the shock of the druid

the druid wanted to be there for that moment but he couldn't bear to watch

mike

no

NO

the shock of you dragging the carcass absolutely bruined him

what a grizzly fate

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I'm the type who would play a Dwarf Wizard, because I like to overcome shortcomings with strategy.

This implies that dwarves don't make good wizards.

This is not a correct implication.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »

And in Shadowrun, dwarves actually make the best wizards.

IKknkhU.gif
    mike

no

NO

sorry man but shooting the poor thing is the polar opposite of what i'd expect

Sorry, I don't know the specifics of the game

Insert <Race> <Race's Least-Advantageous Class>

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

And in Shadowrun, dwarves actually make the best wizards.

they make the best hedge wizard. Elves are better at black magic and shamans and stuff.

In 4e D&D, Drwaves are pretty much great at anything. There are things they're clearly the best at, but few things where i would be "I don't know if this is a good fit with a dwarf."

Like a dwarf bard? probably not that great. though with Skald, they become amazing. Dwarf Rogue is actually pretty unstoppable.

I don't mean to throw pooh at the idea or anything

sometimes i just don't think criticism requires any paddington to it

even if the criticisms are a little smokey

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Dwarves make the coolest wizards thematically

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
    i honestly think i can probably pump out 15-20 more bear puns

This discussion has been closed.