As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead/stuck subpixels

MKRMKR Registered User regular
I'm sticking this behind a spoiler because I know some people have trouble looking at repeating patterns:
gZnnfmB.jpg

I can't tell whether these two green subpixels are dead or stuck. I've tried the massaging thing. I probably didn't give that site with the colorful patterns long enough, but I wanted to see if there were other options before letting it sit for a few hours.

This is a not too old laptop (2009 Toshiba Satellite), so it doesn't seem old enough for this to be a serious issue. In your experience, is this likely to be an isolated thing, or should I be scraping together enough money to buy an external monitor? Are there any other things I can do to get these pixels back in line? They're off to the side where text and images rarely sit, and green isn't exactly a common color, so it's not much of an annoyance.

edit: The red and blue subpixels work fine on those two pixels. That's a green test screen, so only the green subpixels are lit. I don't know if that matters.

edit: I took a closer look with an all black screen. The green is definitely partially lit, so it looks like they're stuck, not dead.

MKR on

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    You are better off ignoring it if it is ignorable.

I would suggest against any rub or tap methods to fix a stuck pixel. There is a high chance that you will make things worse with either of those methods than actually improve the issue.

Replacing the screen will set you back around 80-120$* if you went that way.

*if you replace the screen yourself -which is not hard if you understand how to use a Phillips screwdriver and pop the plastic bezel.

Draygo on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    It's mostly ignorable. I plopped GIMP down on it and figured out it's just a little bit green. It's only noticeable on the rare occasion that I have a light color over there and have something to look at in that spot, and that's rare.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    yea, your brain will start to edit around it soon, so it's not that bad.