As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2k games says everyone in family should buy Bioshock.

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    you buy a DVD and are under agreement that you can only watch it 5 times. Well, 2 friends come over and total you have 3 viewings out of 5 now, used up. what's silly about that is that it's a movie you payed for the sole purpose of owning it and watching it anytime you please. If you wanted to pay per viewing then you'd go to the theatre since it's that's a place that is offering a service with a product. When you purchase the DVD you are not paying for any service, you're paying for ownership of the title. So if you pay for ownership of Bioshock there should be no reason I can't be playing it and then go "hey dude check this out, why don't you give this a try it's awesome". Since, well, I did buy it and now I own it so I can do that kind of thing. "Hey dude, check this movie out you'll love it". Same idea.

This is not what it's like at all. If you could only play Bioshock 5 times, then you'd have a point. That is not what is happening. You can only install it on 5 systems at the same time. It's not the same as only being able to watch a movie 5 times, it's the same as only having 5 copies of a movie. I believe a DVD can only be active on one DVD player at a time. Does anyone complain about that? No, that'd be the dumbest shit ever. Oh look.

Or how about games that you need the CD in to play? Does anyone complain about that? No, again that'd be dumb.

Hey, I can only have Metroid Prime 3 on one Wii at a time. Fuck that shit, mirite?

Khavall on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Zell wrote: »
    I fail to see why people are making a huge deal of 2K Games doing this and completely ignoring it when Valves does it.

Well, they did flip out (more vocally than this, even), if you remember, but aside from that, it's a risk/reward thing. Valve added stuff (ability to play without the disc in the damn drive, ability to just download the game to install it, etc) to make up for the added (admittedly low) risk that Valve's servers would go down and you'd lose your games if Valve didn't make some kind of patch beforehand. 2K didn't do any of that shit; they added restrictions that nobody else has and gave us nothing to offset it (besides a really good game, I suppose).

And if the activation will really get removed after a few months, I'll believe it when I see it.

damned shame i can't play Prey anymore, too.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ah well...I guess some people still feel they deserve to be given the right to play their game for 50 bucks.

fixed

Well, no one has shown me how being able to activate the game only 5 times prevents you from playing the game, or does it restrict your ability to play the game much like gay people cause straight married people to suffer.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Are there really people that absolutely need to install this game on 5 different computers/accounts? Is it really a problem to let someone play off of your computer on your account? And seeing as you'd need to dvd/cd to play it without steam, installing it at a friend's house just seems rather retarded.

Ah well...I guess some people still feel they deserve to be given everything for 50 bucks.

I have the game installed on two machines, my l33tz0rz pw4n4g3 rig at home, and on my laptop when I'm out and want to smash some splicer skulls. All hunky-dory.

Now, letting someone else play on your user account? That's silly. That defeats the whole purpose of multiple users in an operating system. We're lucky that we have our own shit, but some families have to share their awesome computer with each other, and having multiple user accounts is nice to have. It's not super deal breaking, but very inconvenient, and contrary how everything else works in PC land (imagine if Office wanted to reactivate everytime someone else uses their own account).

I'm not too miffed though. I paid $60 bucks for an awesome action figure. It happens to come with some game or something.

Zxerol on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    I fail to see why people are making a huge deal of 2K Games doing this and completely ignoring it when Valves does it.

Well, they did flip out (more vocally than this, even), if you remember, but aside from that, it's a risk/reward thing. Valve added stuff (ability to play without the disc in the damn drive, ability to just download the game to install it, etc) to make up for the added (admittedly low) risk that Valve's servers would go down and you'd lose your games if Valve didn't make some kind of patch beforehand. 2K didn't do any of that shit; they added restrictions that nobody else has and gave us nothing to offset it (besides a really good game, I suppose).

And if the activation will really get removed after a few months, I'll believe it when I see it.

damned shame i can't play Prey anymore, too.
    If 3DRealms went down when Triton did, you wouldn't be able to.

Daedalus on
    edited September 2007
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Are there really people that absolutely need to install this game on 5 different computers/accounts? Is it really a problem to let someone play off of your computer on your account? And seeing as you'd need to dvd/cd to play it without steam, installing it at a friend's house just seems rather retarded.

Ah well...I guess some people still feel they deserve to be given everything for 50 bucks.

I have the game installed on two machines, my l33tz0rz pw4n4g3 rig at home, and on my laptop when I'm out and want to smash some splicer skulls. All hunky-dory.

Now, letting someone else play on your user account? That's silly. That defeats the whole purpose of multiple users in an operating system. We're lucky that we have our own shit, but some families have to share their awesome computer with each other, and having multiple user accounts is nice to have. It's not super deal breaking, but very inconvenient, and contrary how everything else works in PC land (imagine if Office wanted to reactivate everytime someone else uses their own account).

I'm not too miffed though. I paid $60 bucks for an awesome action figure. It happens to come with some game or something.

But is it really that big of a deal? It's not like it's going to hurt anything to let someone on your account for a bit to play a game. People are making it seem like it's a violation of civil rights to not be able to install and play the game on as many computers as they want.

chaossoldier on
    edited September 2007
    Ah well...I guess some people still feel they deserve to be given the right to play their game for 50 bucks.

fixed

Well, no one has shown me how being able to activate the game only 5 times prevents you from playing the game, or does it restrict your ability to play the game much like gay people cause straight married people to suffer.

Upgrades, new computers, formatting the hard drive to get rid of some damned spyware or virus, etc. etc. knocks off one activation. These can get used up rather quickly, and then it looks like 2K's response would be to re-buy.

I'm surprised at the people who don't care. You have restrictions being placed on you that were never there before and this doesn't bother you, even a little?

Daedalus on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I said it's not "super deal breaking". It's not that big of a deal. But you still can't argue it's not incredibly silly.

It's like if the 360 version only allows you to use five different gamer accounts before you have to call 2K up and get it fixed. That's silliness.

Zxerol on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

fixed
    It's a good thing you can, then.

Cilla Black on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

fixed

Barring what people say here about calling up 2K and getting some install credits back, or the release of a program that does that for you, it can affect someone. Imagine that you've been hyped about Bioshock for a year or two, and are HARDCORE and building your own rig to play it. Many people change and tweak their hardware several times and go through several installs of everything while working out the kinks. Do this more than five times, and you're in trouble.

Also, if you format/reinstall Windows often (which some people do a few times or more a year to keep it running clean), then every time that happens and you wish to install Bioshock...well, you see where I am going.

Mostly it affects power users...the same people who would have the biggest problem calling a phone number and talking to real people about something :lol:.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

fixed

Upgrades, new computers, formatting the hard drive to get rid of some damned spyware or virus, etc. etc. knocks off one activation. These can get used up rather quickly, and then it looks like 2K's response would be to re-buy.
    Formatting harddrives will not remove an actvation, new computers will not remove an activation, upgrades will not remove an activation. Unless you're too stupid to run the deactivation program. HDD failures will make you unable to do so, but if you crash harddrives frequently, I would try to figure out why.

I'm not sure why you say that 2K would ask you to rebuy.

Zell on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Bullshit. We expect that when we pay $50 for a game, we own the game, not the right to play it under certain circumstances until the publisher decides to revoke that right.

If I buy a game, I expect to be able to play it on whatever I own, in whatever manner I choose, for as long as I goddamn please. If you're going to charge me the purchase price, once I buy a copy of that software I can enjoy it any way I damned well want as long as I don't violate the copyright. If you try and pull any other shit: fuck you, I'll find some other way to play the game.

Now I'm not saying this particular situation in that asinine, but the extent to which DRM in general is getting is pushing pretty close. Publishers (and recording studios, etc) are starting to view purchases as a limited-use rental: it's still theirs, you just use it for now in ways they define based on their temporary and instantaneously revokable consent. Now, why they think hassling their paying customers this way is a deterent for piracy is beyond me, but that's the way these protection schemes are going.

JihadJesus on
    edited September 2007

fixed

Formatting harddrives will not remove an actvation, new computers will not remove an activation, upgrades will not remove an activation. Unless you're too stupid to run the deactivation program. HDD failures will make you unable to do so, but if you crash harddrives frequently, I would try to figure out why.

What deactivation program? He says it's "in the works". I hear Duke Nukem Forever is in the works, too.

Daedalus on
    edited September 2007

fixed

I'm surprised at the people who don't care. You have restrictions being placed on you that were never there before and this doesn't bother you, even a little?

Oh no! You had to reformat for a virus! Now you only have 3 activations left! Really, if you somehow need to reformat your computer that many times, you're either doing something very illegal with your computer that you don't want people to know about, or absolutely do not deserve to be on the internet due to lack of even the most basic of internet safety knowledge, and unless you're upgrading your hard drive a shitton of times, upgrading shouldn't cause problems for your game.

Seriously, you're grasping at any kind of straws you can find to try and justify this argument, and I believe it's been stated before that, if by some freak chance you do run out of activations, you can call in and get a new one.

And we don't care because it's not a big fucking deal like you're making it out to be.

chaossoldier on
    edited September 2007
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Bullshit. We expect that when we pay $50 for a game, we own the game, not the right to play it under certain circumstances until the publisher decides to revoke that right.

If I buy a game, I expect to be able to play it on whatever I own, in whatever manner I choose, for as long as I goddamn please. If you're going to charge me the purchase price, once I buy a copy of that software I can enjoy it any way I damned well want as long as I don't violate the copyright. If you try and pull any other shit: fuck you, I'll find some other way to play the game.
    That would be nice, but unfortunately this isn't what you agree to when you click that "I accept" check mark under that large amount of legal text for the vast majority of PC games.

Cilla Black on
    edited September 2007

fixed

What deactivation program? He says it's "in the works". I hear Duke Nukem Forever is in the works, too.
    Being a bit too paranoid about companies being evil there?

There will be a deactivation program.

Zell on
    edited September 2007

Now I'm not saying this particular situation in that asinine, but the extent to which DRM in general is getting is pushing pretty close. Publishers (and recording studios, etc) are starting to view purchases as a limited-use rental: it's still theirs, you just use it for now in ways they define based on their temporary and instantaneously revokable consent. Now, why they think hassling their paying customers this way is a deterent for piracy is beyond me, but that's the way these protection schemes are going.

Well, I can only assume you're bullshitting yourself because installing the game usually involves agreeing to the terms you're bitching about. If you don't agree to the terms, that's what the "cancel" button is for.

All of this license crap and DRM isn't made to punish people who pay for it, but rather protect the damn companies and people who make what you're enjoying. The whole thing is a clusterfuck where people who don't want to pay for the item pirate it somehow, so to protect themselves from piracy, they work on stronger methods of protecting their copyright, and I have trouble believing that this causes piracy as usually people intending to pirate were going to do so regardless.

chaossoldier on
  • PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

fixed

I'm baffled that there are people out there that are perfectly ok with having restrictions that shouldn't be there.

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    In this thread, people dont actually understand what the holy moses is going on.

I suggest some light reading, like the 2k support forums.

5 simultaneous installs is fine. You can only have 1 install of Half Life 2 as you have to be logged onto Steam to play it, so you cant share it around. Yet noone complains about that.

This whole thing is ludicrous, its PC gamers feeling left out in the cold because they have some technical issues and the 360 doesnt. Which is bullshit, because ALL pc games have technical issues, some far far worse than this.

Ken and the team should be enjoying a holiday right now after slaving on one of the best games ever made for 6 years, but instead they are working on fixes for minor, I repeat, extremely minor problems because of a vocal minority who have the issues and keep whining on about it non stop.

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2007
    Phanman wrote: »

fixed

I'm baffled that there are people out there that are perfectly ok with having restrictions that shouldn't be there.

I am baffled there are people going well out of their way to meet the conditions of the minority that these kind of restrictions would actually negatively impact.

chaossoldier on
    edited September 2007
    Actually some of the issues really aren't that minor. There are quite of a few debilitating bugs.

Cilla Black on
    edited September 2007

Well, I can only assume you're bullshitting yourself because installing the game usually involves agreeing to the terms you're bitching about. If you don't agree to the terms, that's what the "cancel" button is for.

Dunno what fantasy land you live in, but here in reality you can't return opened software to the store for a refund, and you can't see the EULA until you open the box and put the disc in.

Daedalus on
  • stranger678stranger678 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

fixed

Probably because the majority of people feel the restrictions are fine because they don't in any way hinder the game and seem reasonable to protect the publishers from piracy which happens to be a purty easy feet on modern computers.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The only reason I don't see this as a big deal is because its easily bypassed and well, I don't have that version of the game.

It is, however, not a good thing, and defending it is really a silly thing to be doing as a consumer. If you don't stand up for yourself, companies certainly aren't going to care. :lol:

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited September 2007

fixed

Probably because the majority of people feel the restrictions are fine because they don't in any way hinder the game and seem reasonable to protect the publishers from piracy which happens to be a purty easy feet on modern computers.

But they don't protect the publishers from piracy. None of this shit ever actually works. Piracy is as easy as ever, and you have more restrictions. Nobody wins.

Daedalus on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

That would be nice, but unfortunately this isn't what you agree to when you click that "I accept" check mark under that large amount of legal text for the vast majority of PC games.

The funny thing about EULAs is many of them ask you to agree to sign away legal rights, a tactic that has historically never held up in court. They simply haven't been tested yet.

For example, see Germany, where EULAs are not binding because they are viewed as contracts, and you can't be held to a contract you didn't physically sign. I imagine that the same would happen in the US were an EULA to be seriously tested, which is likely why it hasn't been.

So don't get too comfortable in the idea that the EULA is the Alpha and the Omega. There is nothing in US Law that states that clicking "Yes" on a dialog box constitutes entering into a binding legal agreement.

As a side anecdote, I once had to install some Video Card drivers. The sleeve the CD was in was closed with a sticker that stated "By breaking this seal, you agree to the terms of the EULA contained on the disc". So, rather than "agree" to the terms of something before I could read them, I simply cut open the other side of the sleeve.

Businesses will often attempt to put restrictions on their products under the guise of the Law. Don't believe it.

Houn on
    edited September 2007
    Look at Oblivion or Company of Heroes. Absolutely no copy protection, and the games didn't even require the disc to be in the tray. They sold well.

Cracks for games comes up frighteningly fast after release (sometimes before release). It's not going to stop people from pirating if they've already made up their minds that they're going to steal. The one copy protection that worked for any length of time that I remember was Starforce 3, which took about a year before a workaround existed (I think it was Chaos Theory). And we know how well people like Starforce.

Hell, look at Stardock. They're small and their games are niche, but they manage to make some business with their games with no copy protection whatsoever.

At this point, I expect copy protection as a de-facto requirement for PC games, but doesn't mean I particarly like it, especially if said protections like installing itself as a service on my computer. Bioshock's activation is something else entirely.

Zxerol on
    edited September 2007

fixed

But they don't protect the publishers from piracy. None of this shit ever actually works. Piracy is as easy as ever, and you have more restrictions. Nobody wins.
    Ehr what? The new SecuROM protection made it take a while before BioShock was cracked, so I would say it worked very well.

Zell on
    edited September 2007
    Actually some of the issues really aren't that minor. There are quite of a few debilitating bugs.
    Well I experienced no problems with my copy.

As for multiple installs, 360 owners dont get multiple discs, why are PC users somehow entitled to install it on as many PCs as they want?

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2007
    Shit, forgot I was on the internet, have to hate something and scream frothing rage into the aether.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
    edited September 2007
    Look at Oblivion or Company of Heroes. Absolutely no copy protection, and the games didn't even require the disc to be in the tray. They sold well.

actually, COH has sold like 100k copies total. It sold really badly.

The_Scarab on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

All of this license crap and DRM isn't made to punish people who pay for it, but rather protect the damn companies and people who make what you're enjoying. The whole thing is a clusterfuck where people who don't want to pay for the item pirate it somehow, so to protect themselves from piracy, they work on stronger methods of protecting their copyright, and I have trouble believing that this causes piracy as usually people intending to pirate were going to do so regardless.

Yeah, that's true - but it has that effect anyway, because it makes utilizing the content a pain in the ass for anyone who gets its legally, while people who fucking steal it have an easier time of it in many ways. As far as the 'you routinely agree to it' - no I don't, because this kind of bullshit is part of the reason I DON'T play PC games (along with many other factors).

JihadJesus on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've probably installed my personal copy of Quake 3 at least 10 times. If a game is good enough that you want to be able to go back and play it again any time you want to down the line, I think you should be able to.

But whatever. I think I'd rather get a 360 and get this game on that anyway.

slash000 on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

fixed

Oh no! You had to reformat for a virus! Now you only have 3 activations left! Really, if you somehow need to reformat your computer that many times, you're either doing something very illegal with your computer that you don't want people to know about, or absolutely do not deserve to be on the internet due to lack of even the most basic of internet safety knowledge, and unless you're upgrading your hard drive a shitton of times, upgrading shouldn't cause problems for your game.

Seriously, you're grasping at any kind of straws you can find to try and justify this argument, and I believe it's been stated before that, if by some freak chance you do run out of activations, you can call in and get a new one.

And we don't care because it's not a big fucking deal like you're making it out to be.

Hey, you're right, this doesn't cause a big problem in the short term.

5, 10 years from now though? Maybe I've gone through 2 or 3 computers. Maybe I'm filthy rich and upgrade every 3 years just to say I'm ahead of the curve. Or maybe I just uninstalled the game for hard drive space, and a few years later I decide to reinstall it and play again. Jesus Christ, we have people on this board every fucking day saying "Damn you, you reminded me of this great game. Now I have to go reinstall it and play again." I've personally installed my copy of Jedi Knight nearly a dozen times. First few times were on my first computer when I was still a kid, which admitidly was a piece of shit that would crash all the damn time. I've had 4 full computer upgrades since then, including, surprise surprise, a total hard drive failure. And I've installed the game on every one of them. Sometimes, I also uninstall them for a time, until I want to play them again, so I put them back on.

So get off the fucking high horse about how this is so impossible that it borders on absurdity. Nobody's going to go through 5 installs in a month or so. Over 5 or 10 years though? Entirely possible. People would like to be able to play their games in the future, no matter how old they are. So slapping an expiration date on games is likely to piss people off.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

As for multiple installs, 360 owners dont get multiple discs, why are PC users somehow entitled to install it on as many PCs as they want?

To turn that argument around:
    I can take my copy of Bioshock over to a friend's house and play it on their 360, no problem.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited September 2007

No shit? I always thought it sold well. Bummer, my bads.

Zxerol on
    edited September 2007

Which is really wild considering some websites are reporting downloads of illegal files by that name of around 50,000.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
    edited September 2007

fixed

Hey, you're right, this doesn't cause a big problem in the short term.

5, 10 years from now though? Maybe I've gone through 2 or 3 computers. Maybe I'm filthy rich and upgrade every 3 years just to say I'm ahead of the curve. Or maybe I just uninstalled the game for hard drive space, and a few years later I decide to reinstall it and play again. Jesus Christ, we have people on this board every fucking day saying "Damn you, you reminded me of this great game. Now I have to go reinstall it and play again." I've personally installed my copy of Jedi Knight nearly a dozen times. First few times were on my first computer when I was still a kid, which admitidly was a piece of shit that would crash all the damn time. I've had 4 full computer upgrades since then, including, surprise surprise, a total hard drive failure. And I've installed the game on every one of them. Sometimes, I also uninstall them for a time, until I want to play them again, so I put them back on.

So get off the fucking high horse about how this is so impossible that it borders on absurdity. Nobody's going to go through 5 installs in a month or so. Over 5 or 10 years though? Entirely possible. People would like to be able to play their games in the future, no matter how old they are. So slapping an expiration date on games is likely to piss people off.
    A: There'll be a deactivation program that'll remove most of those issues
    B: I'm pretty sure 2K Games won't make it difficult to deactive previous copies in 5 years
    C: There'll be a patch removing the copy protection completely sooner or later.

Unless you think 2K Games is an evil company that hates you, don't worry too much.

Zell on
    edited September 2007

To turn that argument around:
    I can take my copy of Bioshock over to a friend's house and play it on their 360, no problem.

By removing the disc from your 360 you remove the content from the system. Remove the content from your PC by uninstalling and you can go install it at your friends house.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

If that's the case, then why bother paying SecuROM money to license their DRM when it won't have any effect on the piracy rate either way?

Either DRM does prevent wide-scale piracy (here's a hint: it doesn't), or SecuROM and others have done a good job convincing them that they provide a valuable service.

You're right in that people who plan to pirate weren't going to buy the game anyway. So that's not really a lost sale, it's just a person being a douche. What DRM does is make the cracked version easier to use than the commercial one. Factor in the fact that cracked versions are usually free plus the cost of bandwidth, and you see where some people start walking down that dark path...or just stop purchasing PC games altogether.

Game companies used to get around piracy by including awesome stuff alongside the game, like collectibles, posters, and cloth maps, or encouraging people to share limited versions of the game (Shareware? Spawn installs of StarCraft?). Nowadays, they are so paranoid that they limit fair use behind unconscionable EULAs and tack on DRM.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name