As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PlayStation] - This week: Strider and the Japanese PS4 launch

UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
edited February 2014 in Social Entropy++
PSN ID List

PA Handle / PSN ID

#pipe - hashpipe_canada
Aretè - ninjafrizz
Ashcroft - IWAshcroft
AtomicTofu - AtomicTofu
BillyIdle - Billyidle_
David_T - DavidThrax
Devlin_Dragonus - Devlin_Dragonus
Dogbone33 - Dogbone19
DouglasDanger - DouglasDanger
IvanIssacs - ivanissacs
Ketar - Ketar
Maximum - MaximumJerm
Metzger Meister - MetzgerMeisterSE
Mr. G - MrGtD
Raijin Quickfoot - RAIJINQ
Scudo - Scudopants
That Dave Fella - ThatDaveFella
TheRoadVirus - The_Road_Virus
UnbreakableVow - UnbreakableVow
Virgil_Leads_You - L4ST_L3VI4THAN
Zay - zayren

Hey guys and gals

It's gonna be November pretty soon. Like, in two days.

Which means it's almost time for new consoles and the start of a new console generation, if you're willing to apply that label in terms of power (technically the Wii U is here already, but, you know)

I'm gonna try to use this OP as a repository for all knowledge of the PS4 to make it sort of the one-stop shop for general questions and potential buyers (eventual buyers, that is - good luck finding one at launch!), so if I'm missing some sort of cool or vital info, please let me know about it! Especially if it's heavy tech stuff, I'm a total layman when it comes to that sort of thing so I'm just trying to make this more general and consumer-friendly.

If you're looking for answers to really specific questions, it's possible Sony has already answered it in this extensive PlayStation 4 FAQ.

We ready? Cool.

PlayStation 4

Ujuzg3R.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0d9d-cdxhk

When does this come out?

North America - November 15th
Europe, Australia - November 29th

How much is this going to cost me?

U.S. - $399
Europe - 399 euros
UK - 349 pounds
Australia - $549

What comes in the box?

- PlayStation 4 console, 500 GB hard drive
- DualShock 4 controller
- Power cable
- USB cable (for controller charging)
- Mono headset, earbud style

What's the controller like?

A pleasure dream.

AmZCeNg.jpg

I've used one first-hand and all I can say is that it just feels right. The triggers feel perfect, the D-pad and analog sticks are nice, the sticks are a good distance apart, it feels like it was made as a direct response to the strides that were made with the 360 controller. If you've never been into the whole symmetrical stick design, though, this probably won't convert you.

Cool bonus! If you have a PS3 and would like to use your superior new DualShock 4 on PS3 games, you can for most games! You need to be wired, but that's a sacrifice you'd probably make after handling this thing.

What about the games?

The following are the launch games for the PS4. Exclusives are bolded. Games in italics are cross-buy enabled - if you bought them on your PS3/Vita, you'll be able to download the PS4 versions free of charge.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Blacklight: Retribution
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Contrast
DC Universe Online
Divekick
Escape Plan
FIFA 14
flOw
Flower

Injustice: Gods Among Us - Ultimate Edition
Just Dance 2014
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Knack
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
Madden NFL 25
Minecraft
NBA 2K14
NBA Live 14
Need for Speed: Rivals
Pinball Arcade
PlayRoom (this comes on the PS4's hard drive, it uses the separately-sold $60 PlayStation Camera)
Putty Squad
Resogun
Skylanders Swap Force
Sound Shapes
Super Motherload
Tiny Brains
Warframe
War Thunder

Here's what's on the horizon

kuNoPw7.jpg

Any other tidbits for launch day and beyond?

I'm so glad you asked!

The first is that, unlike the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 now requires a subscription for online play. PlayStation Plus as it stands now is a pretty great deal that only increases in value with the amount of Sony systems you own - if you currently have a PS3 and Vita you're getting five free games a month on the reg and you know how sweet that deal is. If you're only coming into it with a PS4, however, it's likely that deal will be less sweet. You will get Resogun and Contrast for free on launch day, along with the PS+ edition of DriveClub whenever that game finally launches. Still, on the whole we don't know how PS+ is going to approach the Instant Game Collection in regards to PS4 games, but I wouldn't bet on too much too soon. Things will probably look a lot better there in a year or so.

Do you have a Vita? It's cool, nobody does. Well, I do. And maybe you might, eventually? If so, you'll be happy to know that it is a requirement for all PS4 games to support remote play via Vita, with the exception of games that use additional peripheral controllers that can't be duplicated. They've shown this working really well in on-stage demos and various reports have said that the games feel as though they're playing natively on the Vita - the latency is that low. I'm still a bit skeptical, and this feature is honestly something I'd never use anyways, but I'd love to be proven wrong in my doubt.

Do you have a PS3? That's way more than likely than you owning a Vita! Did you just buy Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed IV or Call of Duty: Ghosts because you just needed to play it right away and lack willpower? If so, good news! You can use a code packed in with your game and pay a $10 upgrade fee to get a downloadable version of that same game for your new PlayStation 4! This was going to be a thing with Watch Dogs too, but, well, yeah.

If you have a PS3, you definitely know this bit - installing games kinda sucks! Kinda really sucks, and that's with games that currently have installs of about 7 or 8 gigs. So how shitty was it going to be when Knack and Killzone: Shadow Fall had to install and they're around the 40 gig mark? Well apparently Shuhei Yoshida confirmed recently that games will automatically cache data in the background while you play, rather than making you sit through an install screen.

The friend list limit is 2000, more friends than any person could conceivably have!

Also in a couple of weeks, the PlayStation mobile app launches. Among other things, this will let you shop for games on the PlayStation Store, and your PS4 will turn on and download them remotely. That's pretty cool! The Store updates when I'm at work on Tuesdays, so now if there's a release I'm waiting for I can just boot up the app on my iPhone when I'm on my break, purchase the game and it'll be downloaded and waiting for me when I get home.

So what's the bad news?

Well, no launch is complete without bad news, so here goes.

Oddly enough, the PS4 will not have DVD and Blu-ray playback out of the box. There will be a day one 300 MB patch to put this functionality in, along with a lot of the other key functionalities of the machine. Details can be found here on what this includes. It's not the worst thing in the world at all, unless you have absolutely no Internet access or a way to get the patch onto a USB drive to manually install onto your PS4.

Watch Dogs and The Crew have been delayed. Watch Dogs was originally going to be a launch title, perhaps the premier launch title for both this and the Xbox One, but has instead been pushed back to next year, but apparently within this fiscal year, so by March 31st, 2014. The Crew was supposed to be a launch window release, but has instead been pushed back to the next fiscal year, meaning April 1st or later. Bummer! Both of these games looked pretty great!

Suspend is not available at launch. If you've never used a Vita, suspend is a really great feature. Regardless of what's going on in the game, it pushes it to the background on the OS and lets you dick around and do other things on the system, or even just leave the game there and come back later. It keeps the system in a low power state, and for the Vita at least, it works wonders - I've left games suspended for well over a week without killing the battery.

DriveClub was also delayed. Sony initially brought this out as their big thing to soften the blow of making PS+ mandatory for online play - a free version of their new racing game. Not exactly fully-featured, but it gives you enough to get the Platinum Trophy, apparently. Both retail and PS+ versions were delayed until next year, but Plus users will still get their version when it finally ships.

No backward compatibility. Well, at least the kind we're used to. Sticking in your PS1, PS2 and PS3 games won't work. Apparently Gaikai is working on some sort of streaming technology for older games, but they're keeping pretty tight-lipped on this until its big reveal in 2014.

The PS4 has no DLNA support. So running a media server like you did on your PS3 appears to not be an option here. Bummer! I never used that functionality on PS3 but I know many who did. I guess when Sony said they were focusing on games we kind of took what we already had for granted.

So who's getting one? Did you pre-order? Are you waiting for more games to be revealed, or for revealed games to actually come out?

UnbreakableVow on

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I got mine preordered and paid off. I got a killzone bundle and AC4. I'm sad that watch dogs got delayed but if it means a better game then that's ok!

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    watch dogs was the only launch title game I really care about that isn't on PS3 as well, so I'm in no hurry at this point to get a PS4. I'll get one eventually, but there's nothing I really want to play for it until the new Infamous at this point

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    My mantra is now a stern 'wait and see' on both consoles, I'm not chomping at the bit for next gen just yet and I suspect that there will be launch period blues as stuff doesn't work and games aren't all they're cracked up to be.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    If the backwards compatibility thing is legit next year I'll probably get one, or whenever the price drops.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    I'm getting it at launch because WOO NEW STUFF

• Options
    I have a wireless headset for my PS3 that uses a USB dongle, what're the chances it'll still work?

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I might get one eventually.

More important to me, though, will I need ps+ to play my ps3 games? When the 4 comes out? Ever? Do we know?

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    I got into the Destiny beta so I'll get one whenever that starts, I spoze. Hopefully it's in february because that's when I want one anyway for infamous and such, I think

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Wait, online play costs money now?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Will there be an Xbone thread and will the two threads be able to hurl turds at each other

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Wimble wrote: »
    I got into the Destiny beta so I'll get one whenever that starts, I spoze. Hopefully it's in february because that's when I want one anyway for infamous and such, I think

How do people get into game betas?

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Usually the company has a sign up on their website

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I will be patient and at least wait a couple of months after both PS4 and XBone are released before committing to either.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »

yup, gotta pay for Playstation+

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular

Usually the company has a sign up on their website

In that case who wants in to the metalbourne beta?

:winky:

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular

they gave out codes on twitter and you can also pre-order it for a beta key

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

How much does that cost?

• Options
    I never believed Sony would have been able to compete with XBL without charging extra for it and for the most part that was the case. PSN multiplayer functionality and community lagged far behind for years. Making online play part of PS+ so they can better support their network makes perfect sense to me.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Basically waiting till watch dogs comes out to buy a ps4 probably. I'm ok with that

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    $50 for 12 months or $18 for 3 months

us.playstation.com/psn/playstation-plus/

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

How much does that cost?

About the same as Xbox live

But you also get 2-3 free games monthly, along with lots of discounts on digital purchases

It's honestly a really good deal

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm getting a ps4. My wife set up a budget so we could get one. Although we didn't pre-order one, so I imagine we won't get one for a long time.

• Options

How much does that cost?

About the same as Xbox live

But you also get 2-3 free games monthly, along with lots of discounts on digital purchases

It's honestly a really good deal

cool.

I just hate paying for online because of the situation I'm in right now with my xbox. I wanna load up Dark Souls like, once a week, which is kinda online, but not a full-on online game. I don't feel like maintaining a subscription for just that is worth it.

• Options
    Doesn't XBL have the free monthly games too now?

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Doesn't XBL have the free monthly games too now?
    Yeah they're trying to copy that program

The difference is they're offering games that are years old, whereas ps+ free games are usually 6-18 months old

Sometimes if they're new download-only games they go up for free like a month after they come out

• Options
    Also the XBL free program is only lasting till the XBone is release as far as I know and their games are garbage compared to PS+.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    In all my 40 years of life, the PS4 and Xbox One launches will be the first time I will have purchased a game console on launch.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Also the XBL free program is only lasting till the XBone is release as far as I know and their games are garbage compared to PS+.

They recently announced they're continuing it indefinitely

But only for 360

Nothing for One yet

• Options
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

Here is more cool info for PS4 pals!

That is cool that they're continuing it I hope they add better games than Halo 3 and AC2. I just downloaded AC3 off PS+

• Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    I am getting one of these at launch because I want a new shiny thing to fill the forever empty spot inside of me for a little bit

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    I am getting one of these at launch because I want a new shiny thing to fill the forever empty spot inside of me for a little bit

@Keith

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Bummed about the lack of DLNA support...guess I'll need to keep my PS3 hooked up for the time being.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I will probably get a PS4 first. I'll need to handle a controller to see if I like it over the 360's layout.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Bummed about the lack of DLNA support...guess I'll need to keep my PS3 hooked up for the time being.

They're dropping DLNA? Well, that sucks. Having a media server hooked up to my network to stream movies and music to the PS3 was a nice bonus.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    it also loses mp3 playback during gameplay, afaik

• Options
    Ah man, one of my friends who pre-ordered is gonna be pretty sad about that news

That's a pretty extensive FAQ, I'll add it to the OP

• Options
    Oh, and Public Service Announcement for all existing American PlayStation users and PS4 buyers

Amazon and GameStop (but use Amazon, 'cause why go to GameStop?) will have yearly Plus subscriptions available for $30 on Black Friday.

• Options
    I'm really sketched out about my MGS PS3 dying and not having a replacement for it. Its the last of the PS1/PS2 BC units Sony made. A few weeks ago it just stopped connecting to the internet entirely. Doesn't detect that an ethernet cord is plugged in or is able to connect to wifi. Tried a few software related workarounds and have gotten nowhere, so basically my options based on the error codes I've gotten boil down to:
    • verify the wifi/bluetooth antenna cable hasn't unseated itself due to heat (easy enough to check)
    • replace wifi/bluetooth card (not bad, like $25-30 for one)
    • replace motherboard (good luck finding one with the same features at this point)

If the PS4 ever gets actual PS1/PS2/PS3 BC going (DLNA would be great too) it'd be such a load off my mind. I'd rather not turn to less than legal alternatives to be able to play my old library.

• Options
    The FAQ leads me to believe my surround sound headset will work which is good!

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I would like to buy one at launch, but with us having just moved and a 3 week trip to Australia for christmas there's no way I'd be able to justify the money.

I'm happy to wait until first quarter next year when there's some more games I'm interested in.

Also I've decided to hold off on buying Battlefield 4 until I get it on PS4 which is a big deal for me.

god damn adulthood