As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Don't shop at Payless, you might get the cops called on you.

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    conversely I have had to tell a single mother of four kids, in so many words, that I wasn't allowed to give a shit about her broken fridge or her child's diabetes medication that she had to store in it

thanks, corporate policy?

I work for a cel phone provider so your mileage may vary, but if a customer told me about that, I would tell them that really sucks and offer to set up a payment delay for them. Then I would relate a story about how my family had to keep all our food in an ice chest for a while when I was a kid.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Walmart's policy on tips (as a cashier at least) is that you need to refuse them, but if the customer insists, accept it and deposit it in the register

Which

Pfffhahahahaha no

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    It has become a right of passage at my store to get yogurt thrown at you by a angry costumer

For some reason it is always yogurt that is thrown

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »
    Oh my god I saw a 20-something kid try to haggle with the poor Japanese girls in the japan pavilion in Epcot a few weeks ago

This is Disney world dude. You don't haggle.

The girls were really good about it, they just kept smiling and telling him what the price was. But it really bugged me, because this kid was old enough to know better.

But but but my animes!

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    magical world my ass

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    conversely I have had to tell a single mother of four kids, in so many words, that I wasn't allowed to give a shit about her broken fridge or her child's diabetes medication that she had to store in it

I work for a cel phone provider so your mileage may vary, but if a customer told me about that, I would tell them that really sucks and offer to set up a payment delay for them. Then I would relate a story about how my family had to keep all our food in an ice chest for a while when I was a kid.

We try to help people like that without giving things away for free, but it's hard

It's also really frustrating when the same person calls us every month for a year to milk that consideration we gave them

Or the lady who calls us every few months with a new family member who died

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular

We try to help people like that without giving things away for free, but it's hard

It's also really frustrating when the same person calls us every month for a year to milk that consideration we gave them

Or the lady who calls us every few months with a new family member who died

It reminds me of that episode of futurama,

"What do we do when we break somebody's window?"
    "Uh, pay for it?"
    "Haha, no, we apologize for it with nice, cheap words."

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    [
    Walmart's policy on tips (as a cashier at least) is that you need to refuse them, but if the customer insists, accept it and deposit it in the register

Which

Pfffhahahahaha no

If a customer offered I took it. Nobody ever asked me and I knew our cameras couldn't prove I was handed money.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I've never heard of anyone tipping cashiers ever

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

It is a rare and glorious event, but it happens.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular

Which

Pfffhahahahaha no

everywhere i've worked has had a policy to deny tips

i have never done so

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    i some times miss tfs and the old, harsher, meaner SE

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I used to get tipped helping people out to their cars when I worked at Target and I thought it was the weirdest thing

I took the money but it was just odd

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    The Betman wrote: »
    I used to get tipped helping people out to their cars when I worked at Target and I thought it was the weirdest thing

I took the money but it was just odd

That seems like a more appropriate tip. You could get killed out there.

• SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I used to get tips when I worked at Jiffy Lube, we weren't supposed to take them but the manager didn't much care. We had a policy where if the tip was $5 or less just keep it, if a customer was really generous and slipped you a $20, we'd order a pizza or take-out from the restaurant across the street.

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Oh I wasnt a cashier. Most people will give the lugging a 200 pound TV into a vw beetle a fiver though

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    Sometimes if I'm helping load at Home Depot, I get tips. I absolutely keep them.

• Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    this nonsense about so many places having policies against their employees accepting tips. ugh.

fuck off

• HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Most of the people I work with didn't care if we took tips, but upper management would always get really bent out of shape if they ever found out someone wasn't "in compliance" with corporate policy, so I was always uneasy about it.

There were a few times though when someone gave me a twenty and I was just like "yes sir, thank you!"

vEaRQgH.png
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    They are just in place so you don't have employees trying to fleece the customers. If a customer offers there is very little chance a manager is going to care.

I always refuse at first but will take it when the customer inevitably insists on it.

I saved one particular guest over $80 one time with a little computer savvy so in trying to give me a fiver they were effectively still saving themselves $75.

when I used to sell phones I'd never charge for setup and some lessons. Not once but twice that lead to a customer coming back later with baked goods from an excellent local bakery to share with my coworkers. Those were my favorite customers!

Having waited tables and bartended for so long may have colored my opinions a bit. I pay my bills with tips.

But we're talking about jobs where people could be making $8 an hour. I get it, that corporate policies against accepting money directly from customers have some logic behind them, but it's still infuriating that someone working for poverty-line yearly income can be told by their employer that they are not allowed to accept a tip. I would say "there's no way that's legal, right?" but of course that's not the case, at-will employment etc etc.

Let's keep these entry-level mooks where they belong! In shitty apartments, driving to work in shitty cars, eating cheap boxed mac and cheese every night!

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Captain K wrote: »
    this nonsense about so many places having policies against their employees accepting tips. ugh.

fuck off
    The place I work at has a tendency to lie through their teeth so grain of salt but they say we arnt supposed to take tips because that puts the company in a different tax bracket and they don't want that.

Quire.jpg
  • HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    I think tips are a great way to show a little caring to customer service when you are appreciating something fairly anonymously or regularly. But when you actually get in with the customer or representative baked goods, little trinkets they mentioned they like such as comics or cute easy to find crafty things are way more awesome.

I also don't like the culture around receiving tips. Around my regular places I usually don't tip most of the week and drop a larger denomination at the end of the week. It better shows how much I care and am tipping more, plus it helps me keep track of them dolla bills of my own.

Everywhere I have done that I get treated more poorly than as an "always leave a tip" customer. And I think it's kinda ridiculous!

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i got a tip as an employee at a library

that was something

i was sorting books on the to be shelved carts, in the stacks (the non-fiction shelves), facing a wall, back turned

from behind, a patron who i helped told me to reach out my hand backwards, and not to turn around

i did so, and i got 20 bucks

that was nice

Let's be clear here, the concept of "tipping" is absurd and if I could click my heels together and just get paid what I'm worth by my employer and have tipping disappear from regular American custom, I would do it. But it's here and not going away any time soon. With that said...

@HellaJeff you are seriously doing it wrong. Going to a restaurant and not leaving a tip every time is incredibly, incredibly wrong, and monetarily damaging to the person serving you. Restaurants where servers share tips from a general pool are the exception, not the norm, and even at most tip-sharing restaurants the tip pool is divided up on a shift-by-shift basis, not a weekly one.

At most restaurants, servers go through a process at the end of each shift where actual tips are "declared" for purposes of calculating tax information for each server, but many restaurants skip this process and just calculate 18% or something of each server's total sales for the shift and input that number.

So, if you ever go into a restaurant and do not tip your server, here's what happens:

-the server loses out on the potential tip from a different customer they might have served instead of you who would have tipped appropriately
    -at a shift-by-shift tip-sharing restaurant, all the servers who work that shift lose out on the potential shift from a different customer who would have tipped appropriately
    -at a "declare tips by total sales calculation" restaurant, not only does the server lose out because they might have served a different customer, you are actually increasing the amount of money that server will pay in taxes, because it is assumed they earned income from server

No matter how you look at it, whether it be opportunity cost or increased taxation or whatever, if you eat at a restaurant and do not tip, you are taking someone's money.

Take a look at this chart and see what it's legal for employers to pay servers in the US. In North Carolina, where I live, it's $2.13/hour. Servers do not pay their bills with the money they earn from their employers. Servers pay their bills because the vast majority of restaurant customers understand that a bare minimum appropriate tip is 20%.

If you're not going to leave a tip when you eat out, do millions of restaurant employees a favor and EAT AT HOME.

Let's be clear here, the concept of "tipping" is absurd and if I could click my heels together and just get paid what I'm worth by my employer and have tipping disappear from regular American custom, I would do it. But it's here and not going away any time soon. With that said...

@HellaJeff you are seriously doing it wrong. Going to a restaurant and not leaving a tip every time is incredibly, incredibly wrong, and monetarily damaging to the person serving you. Restaurants where servers share tips from a general pool are the exception, not the norm, and even at most tip-sharing restaurants the tip pool is divided up on a shift-by-shift basis, not a weekly one.

At most restaurants, servers go through a process at the end of each shift where actual tips are "declared" for purposes of calculating tax information for each server, but many restaurants skip this process and just calculate 18% or something of each server's total sales for the shift and input that number.

So, if you ever go into a restaurant and do not tip your server, here's what happens:

-the server loses out on the potential tip from a different customer they might have served instead of you who would have tipped appropriately
    -at a shift-by-shift tip-sharing restaurant, all the servers who work that shift lose out on the potential shift from a different customer who would have tipped appropriately
    -at a "declare tips by total sales calculation" restaurant, not only does the server lose out because they might have served a different customer, you are actually increasing the amount of money that server will pay in taxes, because it is assumed they earned income from server

No matter how you look at it, whether it be opportunity cost or increased taxation or whatever, if you eat at a restaurant and do not tip, you are taking someone's money.

Take a look at this chart and see what it's legal for employers to pay servers in the US. In North Carolina, where I live, it's $2.13/hour. Servers do not pay their bills with the money they earn from their employers. Servers pay their bills because the vast majority of restaurant customers understand that a bare minimum appropriate tip is 20%.

If you're not going to leave a tip when you eat out, do millions of restaurant employees a favor and EAT AT HOME.

So my girlfriend is a server,

and restaurants are not the only place where tipping is a thing. So thanks for your input but I have done the reading!

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular

Take a look at this chart and see what it's legal for employers to pay servers in the US. In North Carolina, where I live, it's $2.13/hour.

Jesus.

• minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

that was something

i was sorting books on the to be shelved carts, in the stacks (the non-fiction shelves), facing a wall, back turned

from behind, a patron who i helped told me to reach out my hand backwards, and not to turn around

that was nice

I feel like you were playing with fire there.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

that was something

that was nice

that could have gone real wrong

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    Also in case you think I am some sort of monster who things a dollar is a legit tip, at bars I tip at least the cost of the drink rounded up, unless I am drinking from the well, in which case it's a 5 minimum, I also tip 5 minimum at coffee shops, and restaurants I try to leave close to 25%, as long as someone else is helping, or the meal/service was terrible. At other services like mechanics, repair men and women, beauticians, and artists, I try to get as close to 50% as I can. Partly because the tip isn't expected and so they see it less, and partly because they are specialized and I try and seek out specific people in those fields because of the work they personally bring.

It isn't money that I have a tiff with. It's the attitudes and culture around it.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    she was a friendly lady in her 50s, i was not expecting it to go wrong

I don't tip, I just shop at places that pay their employees a reasonable amount of money.

Sorry, that huge wall of text wasn't really directed at you so much as anyone ever who has ever not left a tip ever. Those figures you are quoting sound quite generous. :^::^: But your arrangement of leaving one tip a week for multiple visits does baffle me, especially since you know how it works. It's highly likely that some people who have served you in that week won't see any of that money.

And hey, I agree with you! Tipping culture is fucking stupid.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I don't tip, I just shop at places that pay their employees a reasonable amount of money.

Do those places exist in the US???

Is there a list somewhere?

Also you can totally still tip at places that pay decently, just do it to reward good service rather than because you have to so they won't starve.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    oh is it tipping time again

my worst customer service story is I delivered something to a lady and it was wrong and she checked it while I was there so she kinda got all yelly at me but then she settled down and I took the job back and brought her the corrected job

smiling and nodding when somebody is mad about something that isn't your fault but you are the person in front of them is no fun

2x39jD4.jpg
    Fyndir wrote: »

Also you can totally still tip at places that pay decently, just do it to reward good service rather than because you have to so they won't starve.

Yeah, local markets and shit.

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    I still don't understand the "I eat here 3 nights a week but only tip at the end of the week part" @HellaJeff

Can you elaborate on that

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I almost never eat out at restaurants but I always tip the pizza man a good 25% because I had that job for a summer and it was the worst.

The Domino's I worked at was about a half mile from the military base and I take nothing away from the military but I was lucky if I was tipped in small change by those fuckers.

It's like you know I'm paying for my own gas here, right...?

Maximum on
    I still don't understand the "I eat here 3 nights a week but only tip at the end of the week part" @HellaJeff

Can you elaborate on that

It means one person really likes him and 2 others think he's an asshole that never tips.

Fyndir wrote: »

I've heard some reporting about restaurants that have decided to abolish the tipping process and instead pay their servers a living wage (and in some cases, offer benefits). There was a brief NPR story sometime in the last couple years about some joints in San Francisco doing this, if I remember right.

The pluses to this strategy seem to include drastically reduced employee turnover, while the minuses include a bit of "sticker shock" at the menu prices and a lot of necessary explaining by the staff. (if the employer is the one paying the employees, rather than the customer, then the price of each dish is higher because front-of-house employee wage is factored in)

Anyway, if there's so few of these places that they warrant a NPR feature, then the answer is functionally "no, those places do not exist in the US". :P