As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GIANT BOMB Has Been Rated

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Do parents still buy their kids actual games, or do they just throw a gift card at them and say "here". Becuase I'd probably be a terrible parent and do the latter.

People under 17 can't buy M rated games

6F32U1X.png
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I will actually be disappointed if Giant Bomb has it as their GOTY. I know that's petty.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Do parents still buy their kids actual games, or do they just throw a gift card at them and say "here". Becuase I'd probably be a terrible parent and do the latter.

kids need a parent or someone over 17 to roll in with them and buy them CoD unfortunately

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

They can online.

MrDapper wrote: »
    I will actually be disappointed if Giant Bomb has it as their GOTY. I know that's petty.

Pretty much everyone's impressions on it seem to vary from "it's alright" to "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

6F32U1X.png
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    The Betman wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    EDIT: ahaha wait no the 2nd best selling because GTA5 came out this year right

i go back and forth on this and also how this number will be calculated given that CoD has more platforms and the upgrade path may end up counting as two copies for the game

GTA5 is still gonna come out on top no matter how you cut it.

see i don't know if that's true

CoD consistently sells huge numbers and based on personal experience parents have less stipulations buying their children CoD than GTA

I think GTA deserves to be the best selling this game this year but i really don't know if it will be

beg pardon

GTA is really good!

Despite the fact that Lazlow is a piece of shit

I was really bummed he didnt have his own radio station this time around

I wasn't!

It took me until GTAV to realize Lazlow's an unfunny homophobic misogynistic transphobic overall hateful sack of garbage

yyyyyyyyyyeah that's fair

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

Pretty much everyone's impressions on it seem to vary from "it's alright" to "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Five stars indeed

PNk1Ml4.png
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    GTA5 is probably the only game everyone at GB will agree on even though it probably won't be anyone's #1 (except maybe Jeff).

sig.gif
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

Unfortunately that's usually up to the cashier's discretion

I would assume they're more strict about it at a Gamestop, but when I'm working Black Friday and a kid who looks 14 walks up with a Call of Duty game and tells me that oh my parents totally said I could have this I could call them and ask if you'd like, I'm going to let him buy the video game.

i live in a weird situation where my parents constantly call me and ask about all this stuff and i explain things like faking account details and birth dates and parental controls and stuff, because my siblings go from 3 years old up to 12 and my parents just know nothing on the subject

and it has really made me wonder on my off time a lot how much kids are able to do because their parents don't have resources accessible to know this shit

like a parent might not be willing to buy their kid call of duty in a store but if they're willing to buy their kid a PSN card and the kid put in a fake birthdate for his account he can just go download it

same with GTA

we live in a weird world

I would assume they're more strict about it at a Gamestop, but when I'm working Black Friday and a kid who looks 14 walks up with a Call of Duty game and tells me that oh my parents totally said I could have this I could call them and ask if you'd like, I'm going to let him buy the video game.

you fucking shouldn't

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

I know when I worked at target, you had to scan or run an ID card to purchase an M rated game

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I am eternally grateful my parents are tech savvy.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    I think the only givens for their top 10 are Gone Home, Saints Row 4, and Gunpoint

Everything else is up for grabs

6F32U1X.png

you fucking shouldn't

Maybe not

But I know when I was his age I was playing Halo

And have you ever worked a Black Friday? Those things are awful. You do a lot of things you wouldn't normally do.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

You should not do this

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Call of Duty doesn't seem much worse than a typical pg13 action movie

PNk1Ml4.png

Here's what I think is gonna happen

Jeff: GTA5, runner-ups Bioshock and Saints Row
    Vinny: Saints Row, runner-up GTA5
    Brad: GTA5, runner-ups Brothers and DmC
    Patrick: Bioshock, runner-up GTA5
    Drew: Last of Us possibly? Don't know about runner-ups

It's there enough that they can probably reach a consensus that it's GOTY.

sig.gif
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i remember being grumpy i couldnt buy deus ex hr at a target because i didnt have a drivers license

i did have a college photo id and a driver's permit with my dob though

you fucking shouldn't

But then they'll just get their Call of Duty off the black market, man. It's safer if the kid gets ahold of it in a controlled environment, rather than potentially getting stabbed in some dank alley looking for his fix.

edited October 2013

I would be pretty disappointed if they gave it to GTAV

Because that to me just sounds like they sigh and go "yeah sure whatever fuck it" instead of actually think about it because none of them seem to really like it too much and if they didn't have to play it they wouldn't

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png

you fucking shouldn't

Maybe not

But I know when I was his age I was playing Halo

And have you ever worked a Black Friday? Those things are awful. You do a lot of things you wouldn't normally do.

so was I but I have the foresight to look back and realize that i probably shouldn't have been

and the knowledge of what those games have evolved into now to know that a 14 year old definitely shouldn't be playing them

i have worked five black fridays and i don't think it's ok to sell that game to a 14 year old who gave you word-of-mouth that his parents said it was ok just because lines and busy periods suck

like that's just not ok

-Tal wrote: »

Also yeah, this

Like, I guess there's some blood around the screen if you get hit?

I don't think I'd let my 14 year old play it, but if a 14 year old tells me that his parents said it was fine, I'm inclined to believe him, considering how many parents apparently say it's fine.

Not to mention that, since it's Black Friday, he's got a line of literally hundreds of people behind him, and I'm going to cut as many corners as possible to lighten the load.

Most PG13 action movies do not have you take control of a character who mass murders hundreds of civilians in an airport

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    And yeah as far as being in their personal top 10 at all, GTA5, SR4 and Bioshock is gonna show up in everyone's list, for certain.

sig.gif

You personally murder dozens of innocent civilians in Modern Warfare 2.

sig.gif
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2013

Brad seems more done with Grand Theft Auto then anyone else. I can see him giving it to DmC or Brothers.

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i remember being grumpy i couldnt buy deus ex hr at a target because i didnt have a drivers license

i did have a college photo id and a driver's permit with my dob though

I lost my wallet the week before HR came out and my parents were out of town

And I really had to play Deus Ex

So I decided to call one of my parents' friends who was on call if I needed assistance for anything

i was so ashamed

6F32U1X.png
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I think the only givens for their top 10 are Gone Home, Saints Row 4, and Gunpoint

Everything else is up for grabs

pokeyman

edit more seriously: bioshock

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
    I would not believe a single thing that comes out of a fourteen year-old's mouth.

They are all liars and assholes. Every one of them.

I guess it just doesn't bother me too much. To my knowledge the kid didn't go out a week later and shoot someone, so my conscience is clear.

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular

listening to brad on the bombcast there's no way gta is going to be his goty

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    Pokemon is better than Bioshock in my subjective opinion

PNk1Ml4.png
    Yeah if GTA5 isn't their GOTY, it's gonna be Bioshock. Those are the only two games all of them liked this year.

sig.gif

CoD games have increasingly more language and intense themes that a PG13 movie in part due to ambient dialogue

additionally PG13 movies do not have the excessive racial and homophobic remarks that are now ingrained into the general culture of those games and their online components
    Not to mention that, since it's Black Friday, he's got a line of literally hundreds of people behind him, and I'm going to cut as many corners as possible to lighten the load.

then tell him "you have to be over 17 to buy this" and move the line

like you need to sit the fuck down and think about what you're saying here

Yeah if GTA5 isn't their GOTY, it's gonna be Bioshock. Those are the only two games all of them liked this year.

only because they won't play last of us

6F32U1X.png
    I guess it just doesn't bother me too much. To my knowledge the kid didn't go out a week later and shoot someone, so my conscience is clear.

you are not the ESRB or the kid's parents

It's kinda not your call

I'm saying that I let a kid buy a video game that he was 3 years too young to buy, yes

I'm not proud of it

But I sleep just fine at night

how about when he played the online, heard an n-bomb and decided that was an ok thing to say

ugh

This discussion has been closed.