As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Did a defrag on a drive, it seems to have killed most content on it. Any way to revert?

SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG!Registered User regular
Hello guys,

So I pulled a hard drive from a laptop computer and placed it on mine. Was on my Win 8 partition at the time, so I ran the default defrag program that comes with Win8. It said the drive was 0% fragmented and all fine. So later I rebooted into Windows 7, and ran Defraggler, which in turn said the drive was 35% fragmented, so I said why not, and defragmented.

Now the drive has lost almost all of its content, from what I assume was this defragmentation. I ran CHKDSK and it says there are no errors to be found, so I'm alarmed. I might have just lost years of family videos to this defragmentation.

Is there anything I can do? Recuva shows no results, and I'm currently running it's deep scan, but I'm scared this won't work since it seems that the defrag messed up with the tables and such. I'm about to panic here, any help?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Things seem bad.

Know from now on that defragging a drive is pretty much a waste of time these days.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Boot the drive up in Linux and see if you can still reach the data that way.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Hey guys!

I come back with good tidings. I used a program called Ontrack Easyrecovery, and did an search for a "formatted drive". I managed to find everything, of course directory structure and filenames are gone, but the files themselves are there!

And yes, regarding Defrags I know they're a bit of a waste, however this is a somewhat old laptop and I assumed any small amount of performance gain would be good. Lesson learned :(

Thank you!