As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Don't shop at Payless, you might get the cops called on you.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I've told this before but I'll tell it again.

In the UK the only people who get tipped are restaurants and taxi drivers as standard. Anything else is not expected because we have a good minimum wage, even waiters have it. A few months before I left work for uni and stopped being a florist my co-worker and I had a horrible customer. This was normal, we worked in an area where the average house price was a million quid plus, we were used to stuck-up-ness. So the customer lady is ranting about an awful item we had delivered to her, a design the sender had requested via Interflora - nothing we could do about it, thats what they chose. Halfway through a man comes in and I start serving him, he's nice, and the awful lady customer leaves in a huff.

Man: "Wow, she was horrible! Wasn't she horrible!!"
    Us: Hhaha, we're used to it, there was nothing we could do! Oh dear"
    Man: "Jeez, thats really horrible to treat you like that"

Rest of the sale goes along and then before he leaves the man insists on giving us the rest of his change, £17.00 in total. We refused of course but he wouldn't have it, said it was to make up for the horrible lady customer. In the UK that kind of tip is unknown, at least by my standards. People never tip shop workers, even skilled ones like florists. A nice surprise tip is £1, so £17.00 was unbelievable to us.

I'll never forget that, he was obviously a rich man but I don't think he knew for us what that symbolised.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I can only assume that guy gives advanced lessons in being classy.

• Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    "What would you do if you won the lottery?"

You could do worse than being the guy in Liiya's story once a day. Just randomly making someone feel super extra grateful that someone else appreciates them for doing their job well.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I'm going to set up some sort of over the phone version of Paypal and start a tip service for call centre workers

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Captain K wrote: »
    "What would you do if you won the lottery?"

You could do worse than being the guy in Liiya's story once a day. Just randomly making someone feel super extra grateful that someone else appreciates them for doing their job well.

Do the 3rd Rock tipping system but using a pile of $100 notes.

Or is that still too evil?

• HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    I don't carry cash often because most of my recurring spending is done online, and most of my outings are pretty spontaneous. So when me and friends decide to go out I usually don't have time to stop at the bank to get cash for a tip, but we end up at the same places most of the time.

So around friday I usually grab the tips I make at my job, pull out a little extra, and at the two places I go to often, I leave tips in cash that are pretty decent sums, because it is easier for me to keep track of and I start to get familiar with all the faces around. I always felt like because the staff see my face pretty often it's totally understandable, and I am trying to make an effort to tip them in cash, so that they don't have to claim nearly as much.

And maybe it's important that I mention I wouldn't do this in a place I was stranger, like out of town, or somewhere I am for the first time. It's just easier for me to be able to give a larger cash tip when I am prepared for it, I don't plan well, and I certainly don't want to carry cash on me if I can hardly plan my day.

And most of the places I go weekly are little shops like coffee and bars, where there are several non-serving staff that get tipped out based on how the server feels that day which sucks. Because when the server feels shitty because they are sick, or people aren't being generous to them, they tip their crew out less. But when they feel awesome for whatever reason, or someone leaves a bit more than they expect, they tend to share to their cooks, keeps, and hosts more often.

Reading this back, it looks pretty selfish that I want to keep my books straight in a way that works for me. I just hoped for the people involved who knew I was going to come back, they would also notice that on Friday afternoons the crew always notices that is in fact a 20, just after 2 o'clock.

• grizzlyaddamsgrizzlyaddams Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Since I was a teenager I've worked:

Home renovation 2 years
    Inbound tech support and customer service 6 years
    Delivering and installing home appliances 1 year
    Retail sales and management 6 years
    Inbound mortgage negotiations 1 year
    New hire training 1 year

And now for the past 2 years I've been writing software for a bank.

I was always applauded for my customer service and people skills. I always had the best call times and QA scores and results. In retail I was always the most organized, efficient, and helpful employee. Now don't get me wrong, I've had my days. But overall I had honed my communication skills to a fine point.

I couldn't be happier to be out of a customer-facing role.

grizzlyaddams on
    Antimatter wrote: »
    she was a friendly lady in her 50s, i was not expecting it to go wrong

Hey this is 2013. Apparently anything is possible.

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    I don't carry cash often because most of my recurring spending is done online, and most of my outings are pretty spontaneous. So when me and friends decide to go out I usually don't have time to stop at the bank to get cash for a tip, but we end up at the same places most of the time.

So around friday I usually grab the tips I make at my job, pull out a little extra, and at the two places I go to often, I leave tips in cash that are pretty decent sums, because it is easier for me to keep track of and I start to get familiar with all the faces around. I always felt like because the staff see my face pretty often it's totally understandable, and I am trying to make an effort to tip them in cash, so that they don't have to claim nearly as much.

And maybe it's important that I mention I wouldn't do this in a place I was stranger, like out of town, or somewhere I am for the first time. It's just easier for me to be able to give a larger cash tip when I am prepared for it, I don't plan well, and I certainly don't want to carry cash on me if I can hardly plan my day.

And most of the places I go weekly are little shops like coffee and bars, where there are several non-serving staff that get tipped out based on how the server feels that day which sucks. Because when the server feels shitty because they are sick, or people aren't being generous to them, they tip their crew out less. But when they feel awesome for whatever reason, or someone leaves a bit more than they expect, they tend to share to their cooks, keeps, and hosts more often.

Reading this back, it looks pretty selfish that I want to keep my books straight in a way that works for me. I just hoped for the people involved who knew I was going to come back, they would also notice that on Friday afternoons the crew always notices that is in fact a 20, just after 2 o'clock.

I dunno, this STILL seems like you're shafting whoever served you the other days. If it's the same person you get on Friday then that's great, but if it isn't, how do you know if any of that is going to your previous server?

I guess if the place is small enough you have a way better chance of getting the same person, which is good.

• minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    she was a friendly lady in her 50s, i was not expecting it to go wrong

Hey this is 2013. Apparently anything is possible.

Yeah what are you trying to say there, bub?
    Women aren't capable of sexually harassing you?!
    I'm so offended.

Sheri wrote: »
    HellaJeff wrote: »

I dunno, this STILL seems like you're shafting whoever served you the other days. If it's the same person you get on Friday then that's great, but if it isn't, how do you know if any of that is going to your previous server?

I guess if the place is small enough you have a way better chance of getting the same person, which is good.

This is a really valid point I haven't thought about because I am used to splitting, or being tipped out from the ones at the table, which is where I came from when I started tipping this way. @Captain K said this too, and I noticed it there also.

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    On my third day or so of working at the movie theatre this guy said I did SUCH A GOOD JOB getting his nachos he would have tipped me if he could

that's my tipping story

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    I pay for pretty much everything with my card, and I always tip. I figure it's better that they have to claim it than I don't tip at all.

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I don't tip. Not really done here.

Fuck off and die.
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    This story makes no sense. Sorry, but you must be leaving something out.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I only tip in situations that are inappropriate. I tipped an ER doctor who took care of me, a police officer who I thought was doing a great job patrolling, and my bank teller who's always pleasant.

Also I always wink when I tip.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I've never heard of anyone tipping cashiers ever

it would usually be when i helped an older person carry their groceries out to the car

which had the added bonus of being out of sight of my supervisor

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Can someone explain "tipping out" to me?

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I am a firm believer in "tip based on service". I use 10% and 20% as my base line (since the math is easy). If you just took the order and dropped off the food, odds are high you'll get under 10%.

If you took even a moment to start of a banter, smile, let me know if something is taking a while (and why), recommended a drink when I asked for a recommendation (I do this at 99% of restaurants), or were cool and helpful when my wife asked about a dish (she does this at every restaurant) you'll get towards 20%.

There was one time, we were out for dinner and cocktails. The waiter was the coolest guy. Plopped down in the booth with us, joined our conversation, brought us tasters of the cocktails we were iffy about, and didn't bat an eye when my wife asked for a very specialized plate with small portions from three different dishes on the menu.

I left a $50 tip on a $75 bill.

• Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    You tipped a cop?

Holy shit.

Edith Upwards on
    smof wrote: »
    Can someone explain "tipping out" to me?

It's one someone who recieves tips gives a portion of that money to people who don't usually receive tips. Like when a server gives the cooks tip money, or the baristas give the roasters tip money.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I am a firm believer in "tip based on service". I use 10% and 20% as my base line (since the math is easy). If you just took the order and dropped off the food, odds are high you'll get under 10%.

If you took even a moment to start of a banter, smile, let me know if something is taking a while (and why), recommended a drink when I asked for a recommendation (I do this at 99% of restaurants), or were cool and helpful when my wife asked about a dish (she does this at every restaurant) you'll get towards 20%.

There was one time, we were out for dinner and cocktails. The waiter was the coolest guy. Plopped down in the booth with us, joined our conversation, brought us tasters of the cocktails we were iffy about, and didn't bat an eye when my wife asked for a very specialized plate with small portions from three different dishes on the menu.

I left a $50 tip on a $75 bill.

I prefer servers who just give me my food and leave me alone. I'd get the food myself if I was allowed in the kitchen. But the good ones usually pick up on that. My tipping criteria is pretty much only based on how full my water stays and how receptive they are to my desire for the check and when I want to order.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Oh, ok.

When I worked in a pub all the tips went into a jar and were split between everyone at the end of the shift. I like that way of doing it because then the chefs etc get tips as well as just the servers.

Because I'll be honest, pouring a beer and carrying a plate was usually a lot easier than what the kitchen wizards were doing.

Except when it was hell.

edited October 2013

I can see how you might think that, since it sounds so crazy, which is why I was so gobsmacked to begin with.

The thing is, it's very possible that my wandering and browsing around the store might look suspicious, but probably only if I hadn't already told them exactly why I wasn't making my purchase quite yet. It's not like I had a partner with me distracting the girls while I was trying to get a score. At one point, I was even making funny faces in the mirror.

The clerks basically just chose to believe instead that I was a liar and I was definitely there to rob them. Maybe they thought I was too open. Maybe guys just don't shop for shoes for their kids which, believe it or not, is something the director of customer service told me.

grizzlyaddams on
    My wife tells me constantly about how her co-workers complain that their husbands would never do any of the things I do. Bring her lunch and coffee to work, show up with flowers on valentines day, run errands, clean the house, or even simply ask her if she needs anything while I'm making a quick trip to the store.

Now I'm not painting myself as the Patron Saint of Marraige here, because it couldn't be further from the truth. But I figured things like that are just common courtesy.

I'm so nice it's suspicious.

• Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    Maybe guys just don't shop for shoes for their kids which, believe it or not, is something the director of customer service told me.

SEND HIM TO THE PHANTOM ZONE.

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    I have yet to see a single "just the tip" joke

What happened you guys

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

I can see how you might think that, since it sounds so crazy, which is why I was so gobsmacked to begin with.

The thing is, it's very possible that my wandering and browsing around the store might look suspicious, but probably only if I hadn't already told them exactly why I wasn't making my purchase quite yet. It's not like I had a partner with me distracting the girls while I was trying to get a score. At one point, I was even making funny faces in the mirror.

The clerks basically just chose to believe instead that I was a liar and I was definitely there to rob them. Maybe they thought I was too open. Maybe guys just don't shop for shoes for their kids which, believe it or not, is something the director of customer service told me.

Like I hate to point this out but I suspect with an adult male hanging around the children's aisle not buying anything you stealing something might not have been what they were worried about.

Quire.jpg
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I couldn't find a good angle for it.

Like I hate to point this out but I suspect with an adult male hanging around the children's aisle not buying anything you stealing something might not have been what they were worried about.

I think it was exactly what they were worried about.

Also the "i was making funny faces to myself in a mirror" doesn't exactly sound like something that would reassure people.

edited October 2013
    What I said wasn't funny, and I am ashamed. So I'm editing it out.

Some one should start a petition for our delete post button to be brought back.

Anon the Felon on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I've heard some reporting about restaurants that have decided to abolish the tipping process and instead pay their servers a living wage (and in some cases, offer benefits). There was a brief NPR story sometime in the last couple years about some joints in San Francisco doing this, if I remember right.

I remember this too, and honestly, I'd prefer that.

That said, California has the tipped wage set to the same as minimum wage, is which now $8/hr ($10.55 in SF) and rising state-wide to $10/hr by 2016. I think the way it works, though, is that you still have to declare tips, just that they make up the difference between your hourly tips and the minimum wage.

Speaking of SF, though, they also require health coverage for business of a certain size, so it's super-common for restaurants to add an addition surcharge to the bill to offset some of the costs.

So effectively, you're paying a lot of this stuff anyway, but it's hidden until you get the check. So like I said, I agree: I'd prefer to be charged what stuff actually costs up front. Would make bill-splitting easier, too.

ASimPerson wrote: »
    I've heard some reporting about restaurants that have decided to abolish the tipping process and instead pay their servers a living wage (and in some cases, offer benefits). There was a brief NPR story sometime in the last couple years about some joints in San Francisco doing this, if I remember right.

I remember this too, and honestly, I'd prefer that.

That said, California has the tipped wage set to the same as minimum wage, is which now $8/hr ($10.55 in SF) and rising state-wide to $10/hr by 2016. I think the way it works, though, is that you still have to declare tips, just that they make up the difference between your hourly tips and the minimum wage.

Speaking of SF, though, they also require health coverage for business of a certain size, so it's super-common for restaurants to add an addition surcharge to the bill to offset some of the costs.

So effectively, you're paying a lot of this stuff anyway, but it's hidden until you get the check. So like I said, I agree: I'd prefer to be charged what stuff actually costs up front. Would make bill-splitting easier, too.

Seriously the only thing I hate about tipping is that I'm bad at math

This is good for waiters though, cuz I usually just round up

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »
    Puberty

Gross

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I couldn't find a good angle for it.

straight on usually works

• BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    So did payless pay grizzleyaddams a million dollars and personally deliver an apology to him yet?

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    The money should arrive tucked into a pair of semi-stylish, but shoddily made sensible ladies' flats.

vmn6rftb232b.png