As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PlayStation] - This week: Strider and the Japanese PS4 launch

• Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Do the hard drive specs in that FAQ mean you can't put in an SSD? I was kinda hoping I could swap in a big SSD in a few years when they're much cheaper

It says SATA 2 which, sure, but specifically says 5400 RPM. Hm.

Scudo on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    That just means the hard drive that ships with the PS4 is 5400rpm. You can definitely swap in a SSD if you want.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Yeah I was gonna say I don't think any SATA controller limits drive speed

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Awesome. Now if A 500gb SSD didn't cost nearly as much as the console itself...

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Hm...looking it up, the PS3 didn't have DLNA support at launch either. It was patched in a couple months down the road, so I'm hoping that this will be the case again for the PS4.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    The problem would be that an SSD will saturate a SATA2 connection. SATA2 has a max throughput of 3Gbit/s while an SSD can work transfer up to 6Gbit/s.

Having said that, an SSD on a SATA2 connection will still be noticeably faster than a mechanical drive.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Dang, so it looks like CDs and external drives won't be supported. Yo, that's some incredibly weak proprietary game that you're playing sony. I'm still not going to touch "Music Unlimited". I'm seeing a device that's getting about as useful as my broken pc.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Dang, so it looks like CDs and external drives won't be supported. Yo, that's some incredibly weak proprietary game that you're playing sony. I'm still not going to touch "Music Unlimited". I'm seeing a device that's getting about as useful as my broken pc.

yeah cool ok you're writing off the PS4 because it can't play music or videos from your external drive

if you want to play music or videos get a raspberry pi for 25 bucks and let the PS4 do what it was made to do.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I was bummed about no external drives until the news about caching and background installing came about. Now I don't think I'll ever need to upgrade past the initial 500 GB

CD support is...

Who used CDs anymore? No mp3 support is a bummer but Shuhei Yoshida has already posted on Twitter about mp3 and media server support in the future (PS3 didn't have this at launch either)

Really though, as long as it does games, Blu-ray and Netflix at launch I'm set. I'm sure Netflix will have a few kinks to work out on their end as they always seem to (they still haven't gotten their Wii U app working 100% correctly)

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure the external drive thing is about playing video files. You can download the day one patch and put it on a USB key, so you can obviously access external drives, but they've said from the start that you can't install game data on external drives.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

yeah cool ok you're writing off the PS4 because it can't play music or videos from your external drive

if you want to play music or videos get a raspberry pi for 25 bucks and let the PS4 do what it was made to do.

play Knack?
    Nah, I still have a preorder, but I'm pretty dissappointed here. I'm feeling more and more like I'd be better off cancelling it.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    I use CDs. People outside whatever bubble you're in, buy and use cds.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options

I meant audio CDs, sorry

The FAQ specifically mentions audio CDs

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    what do people use CDs for?

I am genuinely curious

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    my car only has a CD player

no tape deck, no USB or AUX port

so

yeah i use CDs every single day

• Options
    I thought maybe Virgil was getting at, I don't know, storing photos on a CD or something? I don't know what all is possible with that on the PS4

If audio CDs, I respectfully disagree that it's my own personal bubble

I straight up don't know a single person in real life that buys or uses audio CDs anymore

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    Wait, online play costs money now?

yup, gotta pay for Playstation+

How much does that cost?

About the same as Xbox live

But you also get 2-3 free games monthly, along with lots of discounts on digital purchases

It's honestly a really good deal

Right now there's a deal where buying a year of PS+ gets you a $10 voucher in the PSN store

Also there's the Instant Game Collection, which is really only a major draw right now if you already own a PS3 or Vita (or, I guess, if you have a lot of faith in whatever the PS4's backwards compatibility is going to end up like). As of right now the library consists of 12 PS3 games, 5 Vita games, and one game that's on both systems:
    PS3:

BIT.TRIP RUNNER 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
    Galaga Legions DX
    Ico HD
    Jet Set Radio HD
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
    LittleBigPlanet Karting
    Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD
    Poker Night 2
    Shadow of the Colossus HD
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    Zen Pinball 2: Star Wars Pinball

Vita:

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (PSP)
    Gravity Rush
    Sine Mora
    Uncharted: Golden Abyss
    Wipeout 2048

PS3 + Vita:

Hotline Miami

Old games get cycled out in favor of new games every couple weeks (for instance, on the Vita, Hotline Miami recently replaced Darkstalkers Chronicle and Sine Mora just replaced Rayman Origins), but as long as you're a member of PS+, you can play whatever games were part of the Instant Game Collection at any point during your membership.

• Options

I meant audio CDs, sorry

The FAQ specifically mentions audio CDs

I'm was being a little rude and a bit reactionary, and I'm sorry for the tone of my posts. But yeah, I was talking about audio cds. I know 4 or 5 dudes who will be grabbing or have already grabbed Reflektor in stores.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    I would have to imagine DLNA support AND MP3 support will be patched in at some point

The issue is, as well as those things are documented, they still require man hours to implement

On the list of priorities for "what we need our system to do", I assume Sony had very legitimate things to put above them on that list before getting the system out to people (especially considering how goddamn complicated consoles are getting now)

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    PS4 Console Solution

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    If the PS4 had Forza I'd be on board. Since they don't, I'll probably get an Xbox One first.

I won't be getting either until around February anyway.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular

I am genuinely curious

I only ever use them for handing in files for school work when I don't want to hand in a USB and they want a digital copy

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    just paid off my pre-order

now I gotta pay off AC4

and Knack

and maybe Killzone

and

and

hmm

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »

now I gotta pay off AC4

and Knack

and maybe Killzone

and

and

hmm

Lego Marvel?

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »

now I gotta pay off AC4

and Knack

and maybe Killzone

and

and

hmm

Lego Marvel?

pass

• Options
    But it has Stan Lee and he has everyone's powers

• Options
    But it has Stan Lee and he has everyone's powers

still a pass, but a much more hesitant one

• Options
    my first PS4 months will be enjoying the instant game collection

• Options
    edited October 2013
    then all the Destiny and Elder Scrolls Online hopefully down the road

Xehalus on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    my car only has a CD player

no tape deck, no USB or AUX port

so

yeah i use CDs every single day

I bought a new stereo thing for my car that plays bluetooth. Best money I've spent in a while

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    By skimming the G&T Industry thread, insiders appear to report there are plans to patch in MP3/DNLA/etc down the line, which personally alleviates my concerns. Having no plans whatsoever for these features would be a lot more :?-worthy.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I am genuinely curious

I buy my music on CD.

I rip it to FLAC which I use on my PC and phone, and the CDs go in the car to be used in the CD player, because our car does not have an auxiliary or USB input.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

PS4 will be connected to your router over ethernet cable or wireless, yes?

My PS3 currently recognises my PC and Amy's laptop this way (mine wired, hers wireless).

• Options
    Tef wrote: »
    The problem would be that an SSD will saturate a SATA2 connection. SATA2 has a max throughput of 3Gbit/s while an SSD can work transfer up to 6Gbit/s.

Having said that, an SSD on a SATA2 connection will still be noticeably faster than a mechanical drive.

Maybe! Looking again at the FAQ, I think it's only saying the HDD is SATA 2. Which most off the shelf 5400rpm drives are. I would be really surprised if the bus itself wasn't SATA 3, since it also has USB 3.0 and AMD's Jaguar APU, which both consoles appear to be based on, supports SATA 3

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I also buy CDs and rip them to FLAC. Also, I live in a country where I don't have access to most online music services and even Amazon wouldn't let me buy every MP3 album in which I was interested.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    OK seriously, who listens to music on a home console system? All this stink about the PS4 not being able to play music just seems pointless to me.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    OK seriously, who listens to music on a home console system? All this stink about the PS4 not being able to play music just seems pointless to me.

It would be neat to have the option to make your own sound track, like say, listening to Led Zeppelin while playing Dark Souls 2 or something.

• Options
    I'd be surprised if they don't patch it in, but I could understand wanting to use it since in a lot of cases your console is going to be connected to the best/only home theater system in the house.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Look at these awesome shots.

F7RvLxt.jpg
    Vlm0Drf.gif
    ibbBLqN4osaNUg.gif
    fSKQSBk.gif

Also a cool interview re: multiplayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaSsjCBxArE

I've not played a killzone before this but I'm glad I was able to snag a bundle of it with my PSQuattro.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Killzone has always looked amazing but I've never liked the shooting

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group